Gotta love Shaf | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta love Shaf

I've only met Doug once, it was at the Boeheim ball dougs first year. I was part of a group of people that had his ear for about five minutes.

In those five minutes he didn't make a great impression and told one bold face lie.

I don't think he realized that a couple of the people he was talking to had extremely well placed sources on the information he was trying to sell us on.

I always kept that conversation in mind during his tenure - that he will say things purely for his own benefit at times. His departure reiterated that in my mind.

He's a great x and o coach, who up coached the talent here, but he could be a bit disingenuous and self serving.

Ok, he's gone now. What was the bold faced lie?:D

Not sure why there is a need to compare the two and elevate one over the other or downplay eithers contribution.

They both were key to turning the program around.

I thought Marrone did an excellent job taking what was handed to him and bringing the program back from the dead.

Shafer was a huge part of that and he did a very good job managing the transition.

Rocco said:
No, not Mrs. Marrone. He's just a realist. Not saying Shafer is the next Lombardi by any means, but just remember, when it's all boiled down... Shafer isn't here if it wasn't for Marrone. I hope Shaf is here for 20 years.

Roy Danforth should be a board legend.

kcsu said:
Great post! Spot on. Doug was exactly the type of coach that we needed post Robinson. He was strict but the kids new that he cared for them. His ability to spot diamond in the rough kids was also needed as we were not going to land the blue chip kids at that time Agreed but lets also remember that for the first three years Dougs O couldnt find its ass with a flashlight. If not for Shafer and his D Doug may be out of a job

This stuff about Marrone the great disciplinarian is a great myth.

I agree. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game. I was just expressing my opinion why many don't genuflect to Marrone the myth. And why despite what he accomplished, he will never be spoken of in the same way as Schwartz, Mac, or even P.

GoSU96 said:
Not sure why there is a need to compare the two and elevate one over the other or downplay eithers contribution. They both were key to turning the program around. I thought Marrone did an excellent job taking what was handed to him and bringing the program back from the dead. Shafer was a huge part of that and he did a very good job managing the transition.

I don't really care if Marrone was or is an a$$hole - would be nice if he wan't but at the end of the day I just don't care. I am very thankful for the job he did breathing life back into the program but I refuse to deify him either. He is suited to the NFL and I wish him well as an alumnus.

Shafer was a big part of Marrone's success and I give him credit for hiring him.

Marrone is in the NFL, Shafer is our HC - all's right with the world.

What myth, what deification?

Bunch of strawman nonsense.

Why are we still having this conversation? Sheesh. He's gone. He brought the program back. He had success. Then he was offered a position at the highest level in his chosen profession. Was he an a$$hole? Maybe, from what I have heard from people who would know. Did he lie? I don't know. All I know is that he brought us out of the dark days. And for that, I thank him. :noidea:

OburgOrange said:
Ok, he's gone now. What was the bold faced lie?:D

It's really no big deal. In fact i thought the truth was more appropriate than covering it up.

Marrone literally started off the conversation with this group by saying..."I don't know what you've heard, but I am not running off players from the program."

It wasn't hello, it wasn't a normal social greeting followed by some innocent chit chat, It was literally the above statement. It was very odd and awkward.

It was also not true, and I won't go into detail as to how I know that.

But to be honest, I would have much rather preferred he say "frankly, the previous staff over valued some of the players they recruited and we think an immediate upgrade is needed. Players are being told that they can stay, but won't play and they'd be better off transferring. In addition, no player who has redshirted will be given a 5th year unless I approve it, regardless of the promises made by the previous staff".

I think even casual fans would not only have accepted that truth, but would have embraced it.

Well, he walks on water in most of your posts :)

I'm not sure you know what a straw man is. Especially since I wasn't debating you. If you were debating, what were you arguing? Cause I think I've agreed with nearly everything you've said in the thread.

GoSU96 said:
What myth, what deification? Bunch of strawman nonsense.

Coach Scott Shafer ‏@Coach_Shafer 14m
Just received this from Col. Sam Whitehurst Commander, Task Force Spartan in Afghanistan fighting for the USA! #fortdrum pic.twitter.com/XHNkvyKDmD

BcvieJ3CIAADT_z.jpg:large

I've only met Doug once, it was at the Boeheim ball dougs first year. I was part of a group of people that had his ear for about five minutes.

In those five minutes he didn't make a great impression and told one bold face lie.

I don't think he realized that a couple of the people he was talking to had extremely well placed sources on the information he was trying to sell us on.

I always kept that conversation in mind during his tenure - that he will say things purely for his own benefit at times. His departure reiterated that in my mind.

He's a great x and o coach, who up coached the talent here, but he could be a bit disingenuous and self serving.
when he goes into lying bs mode in interviews, his voice gets higher, i've noticed

I hate Doug Marrone for leaving, but I love Doug Marrone for two reasons. First, he brought respectability to the program, and turned around what was a sinking ship. Second, he brought Scott Schafer to Syracuse, nuf said. So please, stop the Marrone bashing. Love him or hate him, he brought nothing but positives to the program. I wish him well.

I hate Doug Marrone for leaving, but I love Doug Marrone for two reasons. First, he brought respectability to the program, and turned around what was a sinking ship. Second, he brought Scott Schafer to Syracuse, nuf said. So please, stop the Marrone bashing. Love him or hate him, he brought nothing but positives to the program. I wish him well.
Yeah, hip hip hooray somebody gets it.

Sounds like Marrone has the personality of a successful head football coach. Basically, most of these guys are kind of jerks. I mean, you have to be thoroughly selfish to devote the kind of insane hours to that job at the expense of your family. They consider themselves the smartest guy in the room at all times, and most tend to be some degree of bullies. They lie, even about things that don't really require it, because they are utterly paranoid. And every one is on the lookout for the next "better" job or bigger payday. It's just the nature of the profession.

I'd much prefer to have dinner with a basketball head coach over a football head coach.

Sounds like Marrone has the personality of a successful head football coach. Basically, most of these guys are kind of jerks. I mean, you have to be thoroughly selfish to devote the kind of insane hours to that job at the expense of your family. They consider themselves the smartest guy in the room at all times, and most tend to be some degree of bullies. They lie, even about things that don't really require it, because they are utterly paranoid. And every one is on the lookout for the next "better" job or bigger payday. It's just the nature of the profession.

I'd much prefer to have dinner with a basketball head coach over a football head coach.

Right, describes a guy like Jimbo Fisher to a T ... lets not try to generalize too much shall we.

Shafer though

Right, describes a guy like Jimbo Fisher to a T ... lets not try to generalize too much shall we.

I said "most" and I stand by that completely.

I think you pretty much nailed it. At the end of the day it's a job not an issue of national security, not even close.

I said "most" and I stand by that completely.

Ok so you have over 60-70 coaches fully profiled so you can make that general assessment? Ok gotcha.

wfschrec said:
Ok so you have over 60-70 coaches fully profiled so you can make that general assessment? Ok gotcha.

Yep, I'm pretty amazing, ask anyone.

The guy talking to Texas within a couple of weeks of his own NC game?

The guy talking to Texas within a couple of weeks of his own NC game?

So what you are saying is that you've never had another job interview ... like oh I don't know 90% of all Americans ... must not be a hot commodity. He went and visited ONE OF OUR PLAYERS in the hospital for crying out loud ... sounds real self indulgent.