Gotta love Shaf | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta love Shaf

So what you are saying is that you've never had another job interview ... like oh I don't know 90% of all Americans ... must not be a hot commodity. He went and visited ONE OF OUR PLAYERS in the hospital for crying out loud ... sounds real self indulgent.

That's nice that he did, but if the Texas talk is real it's a huge distraction and FSU pays him a pile of money to be focused.

Frankly I think the Roy Williams stuff to UNC in 2003 was awful for KU. Their fans were so tense with all the UNC talk, I am sure it didn't help his college aged players.

I did know Marrone and he was not any of the above. Cutthroat businessman? Are you kidding me? If offered a promotion, I'm sure you wouldn't take it.
Actually if you are doing your "dream job" you wouldn't jump on a promotion. In the tech field there are plenty of people who stay in the trenches because they don't want to move in to management where they lose the tech side of things and get stuck dealing with people.

That's nice that he did, but if the Texas talk is real it's a huge distraction and FSU pays him a pile of money to be focused.

Frankly I think the Roy Williams stuff to UNC in 2003 was awful for KU. Their fans were so tense with all the UNC talk, I am sure it didn't help his college aged players.

And the Winston thing wasn't? Please lets not start making excuses for FSU this won't even affect them one bit. They should win this game with or without this UT talk. This happens every year, is this your way of saying Bama lost to Auburn because of the Saban talk? No Bama lost because they did something stupid and it cost them the game. This happens all the time ... I'm sure he is focused I mean as a self indulgent guy he has to win for himself right? I mean I'm sure Texas will sit back and wait a few months in the middle of a recruiting cycle for Jimbo to make up his mind ... no problem. Honestly?

Sounds like Marrone has the personality of a successful head football coach. Basically, most of these guys are kind of jerks. I mean, you have to be thoroughly selfish to devote the kind of insane hours to that job at the expense of your family. They consider themselves the smartest guy in the room at all times, and most tend to be some degree of bullies. They lie, even about things that don't really require it, because they are utterly paranoid. And every one is on the lookout for the next "better" job or bigger payday. It's just the nature of the profession.

I'd much prefer to have dinner with a basketball head coach over a football head coach.

I understand your point but think it isn't as general as that. I've spoken with Marrone 3x, Grob 5-6x, P 6-7x and Mac probably a couple dozen times. Those 4 couldn't be any more different. Mac was the fun loving uncle where everything and everyone was beautiful. P was the consummate professional businessman. Grob was the friendly uber optimist no matter how bad things were. Marrone was part paranoid, part hyper sensitive and part pompous ass. Not all will agree but they are my opinions of each from my discussions with each.

And the Winston thing wasn't? Please lets not start making excuses for FSU this won't even affect them one bit. They should win this game with or without this UT talk. This happens every year, is this your way of saying Bama lost to Auburn because of the Saban talk? No Bama lost because they did something stupid and it cost them the game. This happens all the time ... I'm sure he is focused I mean as a self indulgent guy he has to win for himself right? I mean I'm sure Texas will sit back and wait a few months in the middle of a recruiting cycle for Jimbo to make up his mind ... no problem. Honestly?

I'm just talking about Jimbo if the UT talk is real. No excuses, just unprofessional IMHO if he is engaging in talks for another job at this point in time.

Actually if you are doing your "dream job" you wouldn't jump on a promotion. In the tech field there are plenty of people who stay in the trenches because they don't want to move in to management where they lose the tech side of things and get stuck dealing with people.

Worst thing Doug did was call this his "dream job". He came from the NFL as an OC. It is in most coaches' dreams to be able to land one of only 32 NFL HC positions. Including Texas, Alabama and Michigan, those are the top 35 football gigs in the world.

People outside of football, such as tech, may feel differently and that's fine too.

Worst thing Doug did was call this his "dream job". He came from the NFL as an OC. It is in most coaches' dreams to be able to land one of only 32 NFL HC positions. Including Texas, Alabama and Michigan, those are the top 35 football gigs in the world.

People outside of football, such as tech, may feel differently and that's fine too.
I agree. I just feel he was blowing smoke when he said it. Very politician like in feeling out the crowd and saying what they want to hear. He was likely able to get the job based off of some of these comments. If he didn't like the world of recruiting he should have stayed in the NFL and did it that way. Instead he used the school as a launch pad to get to the NFL. He coached in the NCAA and knew what a commitment recruiting is. Point blank he used the school. Not faulting him at all. Just don't like the snake oil salesman aspect of it.

I still think this was his dream job. Otherwise what were all the binders about? He had a career plan that ended at SU. I just think he bailed because it wasn't what he was hoping for and involved too many things he abhorred and it wasn't as easy to rally the troops as he thought.

Last edited:
I agree. I just feel he was blowing smoke when he said it. Very politician like in feeling out the crowd and saying what they want to hear. He was likely able to get the job based off of some of these comments. If he didn't like the world of recruiting he should have stayed in the NFL and did it that way. Instead he used the school as a launch pad to get to the NFL. He coached in the NCAA and knew what a commitment recruiting is. Point blank he used the school. Not faulting him at all. Just don't like the snake oil salesman aspect of it.

There was no guarantee he was getting an NFL gig, so I don't think he "used the school". I think he firmly got an idea that he wants to coach football, not raise someone else's kids.

There was no guarantee he was getting an NFL gig, so I don't think he "used the school". I think he firmly got an idea that he wants to coach football, not raise someone else's kids.
A lot of these guys in the NFL need to be babysat as well ala Dez Bryant. But it does take a special type of person to want to affect the lives of young maturing adults. Can't be easy. HCSS seems to be that type of person, we'll see in a few years where things are.

I still think this was his dream job. Otherwise what were all the binders about? He had a career plan that ended at SU. I just think he bailed because it wasn't what he was hoping for and involved too many things he abhorred and it wasn't as easy to rally the troops as he thought.

I think that is accurate. I think it comes down to that reality didn't match his expectation (the dream part) about what it would be like to be the HC back at SU. I think a big part was that the emotional investment that he had made, and was making, wasn't being reciprocated by the fanbase and powers that be in the way he had anticipated.

That's why Entropic is way off above.

He also wasn't getting the support and resources I believe he thought would be added to the program and he was being asked to go beat the bushes himself.

He took a career risk, squeezing what he could out of the program he was handed and in return was getting a lot of static from people he though would have his back.

Now is it on him that he built up a vision of a job that wasn't based in reality, sure, but he also has the right to manage his career like anyone else in the profession.

His attitude flipped, and once it became just a job, that's how he treated it and it was time to get on with his career. And the bottomline is he did the job he was hired to do very well.

I think that is accurate. I think it comes down to that reality didn't match his expectation (the dream part) about what it would be like to be the HC back at SU. I think a big part was that the emotional investment that he had made, and was making, wasn't being reciprocated by the fanbase and powers that be in the way he had anticipated.

He also wasn't getting the support and resources I believe he thought would be added to the program and he was being asked to go beat the bushes himself.

He took a career risk, squeezing what he could out of the program he was handed and in return was getting a lot of static from people he though would have his back.

Now is it on him that he built up a vision of a job that wasn't based in reality, sure, but he also has the right to manage his career like anyone else in the profession.

His attitude flipped, and once it became just a job, that's how he treated it and it was time to get on with his career. And the bottomline is he did the job he was hired to do very well.

That's the way I see it too.

Year 3 everything changed, I think after the first pinstripe win, marrone thought everything would start to build, after the big WVU in the dome, I thought we would turn a corner and we the shitter, big time.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone the opportunity to make a positive career change and had no issues with Marrone's move to the NFL, whether or not he was headed there from the outset. But if this really was Marrone's dream job I think he should have been able to realize that the job was massive and involved a kind of paradigm shift in the University's approach to football and that considerable patience would be necessary because this paradigm shift was not going to be completed in three or four years. Given the moderate success he had on the field and the stinky, almost unwatchable (at times) offense that he and the boy wonder produced for the first three years, it would have been unreasonable for Marrone to expect a fan base that is often unresponsive and fickle to have been mobilized in a surge of grass root support, especially as he seemingly grew surlier and more unpleasant by the day....Anyway, Marrone cared (and still cares about this program as far as I can tell) and did a lot of good for the program despite any flaws in his character that may have been revealed and more importantly I think Shafer is a much better man for this job so I hope it works out well for all concerned.

Year 3 everything changed, I think after the first pinstripe win, marrone thought everything would start to build, after the big WVU in the dome, I thought we would turn a corner and we the shitter, big time.

That WVU win was awesome. We completely dominated them on national TV. Then we lose 5 straight and lose all momentum we gained over the prior year-plus.

I know injuries piled up and the margin for error was razor thin, but that 5-game stretch did not help with gaining trust back with the fan base.

Marrone's departure would have made more sense to me this year, one year into the ACC and a 3rd place finish and a bowl win. I was prepared for the possibility we might lose him when the transition to the new conference was complete. And there are a lot better NFL jobs open now than there were a year ago.

I love Shaf, too. but he and his staff are learning on the job. The Northwestern, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State losses were ugly. Picking the wrong quarterback, playing too loose defensively on the back end and going to an uncharacteristic "keep them in front of you" mode on the last two were mistakes. Shaf should have learned form Boeheim: you win by doing what you do best. But we had a happy ending and now can keep the recruiting momentum going and the future is bright.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone the opportunity to make a positive career change and had no issues with Marrone's move to the NFL, whether or not he was headed there from the outset. But if this really was Marrone's dream job I think he should have been able to realize that the job was massive and involved a kind of paradigm shift in the University's approach to football and that considerable patience would be necessary because this paradigm shift was not going to be completed in three or four years. Given the moderate success he had on the field and the stinky, almost unwatchable (at times) offense that he and the boy wonder produced for the first three years, it would have been unreasonable for Marrone to expect a fan base that is often unresponsive and fickle to have been mobilized in a surge of grass root support, especially as he seemingly grew surlier and more unpleasant by the day....Anyway, Marrone cared (and still cares about this program as far as I can tell) and did a lot of good for the program despite any flaws in his character that may have been revealed and more importantly I think Shafer is a much better man for this job so I hope it works out well for all concerned.

I just wish that after telling the fans that this was his dream job, he had said something to us as to why he left. Not doing so gave us the impression of turning his back on us.

I just wish that after telling the fans that this was his dream job, he had said something to us as to why he left. Not doing so gave us the impression of turning his back on us.
He did not want to hurt Syracuse. He did not want to air dirty laundry. He did the thing a real man would do, take the hit.

He did not want to hurt Syracuse. He did not want to air dirty laundry. He did the thing a real man would do, take the hit.

He could still have said something to the fans without airing "dirty laundry".

He could still have said something to the fans without airing "dirty laundry".
He could have, but I'm not sure we as fans are owed any explanations by HCDM. If there was dirty laundry to be aired, I don't want it aired out in public. People change, maybe HCDM changed too.

I'm just talking about Jimbo if the UT talk is real. No excuses, just unprofessional IMHO if he is engaging in talks for another job at this point in time.

Yes because potentially ignoring a better opportunity and letting a window of opportunity close is so much better .. if you want to see it that way its fine but I have had numerous recruiters call me and I've interviewed and I decided whether to stay or go ... but in the end if they reach out to me and it enhances my life or the lives of my family you can damn well bet I'm gonna listen. At the end of the day its up to FSU to make it hard for him to leave ... its not a distraction if FSU ponies up ... and again this doesn't make Jimbo a bad person ... why should he wait till the opportunity passes just to appease some message board nitwits? You want to cite someone as unprofessional cite UT ... they dictate the timing not the other way around bucco.

He didn't want to air dirty laundry?

Yes because potentially ignoring a better opportunity and letting a window of opportunity close is so much better .. if you want to see it that way its fine but I have had numerous recruiters call me and I've interviewed and I decided whether to stay or go ... but in the end if they reach out to me and it enhances my life or the lives of my family you can damn well bet I'm gonna listen. At the end of the day its up to FSU to make it hard for him to leave ... its not a distraction if FSU ponies up ... and again this doesn't make Jimbo a bad person ... why should he wait till the opportunity passes just to appease some message board nitwits? You want to cite someone as unprofessional cite UT ... they dictate the timing not the other way around bucco.

Bucco? Good grief...

He's making 5 million in Florida...I gather you don't work for national championships in whatever it is you do making mid 7 figures.

Yep and when was that deal signed ... in the midst of all this ... he now makes that money because UT came calling and FSU did what they needed to do ... honestly explaining this is getting tiresome. You must not be a sought after commodity if you don't understand how this works ... maybe you should seek a career change.