Gotta say, I'm ecstatic about the draw | Syracusefan.com

Gotta say, I'm ecstatic about the draw

Orangemen

All Conference
Just to be clear, a draw doesn't guarantee anything, but some teams get favorable draws, and some teams get unfavorable ones. On the surface, I think ours is favorable.

First round-Montana-

We get the 13 seed with clearly the weakest profile of the group. Looking at Kenpom, only 7 teams rank lower than Montana. 6 are 16 seeds, and 1 is a 15. This team is rated lower than 3 15 seeds and all the 14 seeds.

According to the BPI this team is one slot higher than 15 seed FGCU, and is rated lower than 14 seed Northwestern St.

According to Vegas, the only other games with lines equal to or higher than ours are the 1-16 games, the 2-15 games, and one 3-14 game. Marq is less than a 5 point favorite over their 14 seed.

On paper, this is all very good. What we do with it is a whole other story, but you couldn't ask for a better opponent.

Likelier 2nd Round- UNLV-
According to Kenpom, the other 3 5 seeds are rated 9th (wisky- of course), 20th (Okla St), and 21st (VCU). UNLV is rated 36th. That's behind 3 11 seeds, a 12 seed, and right ahead of a 10 seed.

According to the BPI, they are also the lowest rated 5 seed. Though by not nearly as significant a margin as on Kenpom.

And let's be honest, though they will probably win their 1st round game, playing Cal in San Jose is not a good draw. It's a rematch, so the opponent is already familiar with them, and it's as much of a home game for Cal as anyone can get in an NCAA tourney.

Later Rounds-
Should we get there, I love that our draw is DC. Which, as any Gtown marketing rep can tell you, is full of SU fans. Sure IU is no joke, and it will be an exceedingly tough game, should it happen, but I'd rather play a tough opponent in a friendly environment, as opposed to say, IU in Indy, or Ville in Indy.

All in all, the committee did very good by us. What we do with it is a whole other story, but a very nice path has been laid out in front of us.

Just to be clear, a draw doesn't guarantee anything, but some teams get favorable draws, and some teams get unfavorable ones. On the surface, I think ours is favorable.

First round-Montana-

We get the 13 seed with clearly the weakest profile of the group. Looking at Kenpom, only 7 teams rank lower than Montana. 6 are 16 seeds, and 1 is a 15. This team is rated lower than 3 15 seeds and all the 14 seeds.

According to the BPI this team is one slot higher than 15 seed FGCU, and is rated lower than 14 seed Northwestern St.

According to Vegas, the only other games with lines equal to or higher than ours are the 1-16 games, the 2-15 games, and one 3-14 game. Marq is less than a 5 point favorite over their 14 seed.

On paper, this is all very good. What we do with it is a whole other story, but you couldn't ask for a better opponent.

According to Kenpom, the other 3 5 seeds are rated 9th (wisky- of course), 20th (Okla St), and 21st (VCU). UNLV is rated 36th. That's behind 3 11 seeds, a 12 seed, and right ahead of a 10 seed.

According to the BPI, they are also the lowest rated 5 seed. Though by not nearly as significant a margin as on Kenpom.

And let's be honest, though they will probably win their 1st round game, playing Cal in San Jose is not a good draw. It's a rematch, so the opponent is already familiar with them, and it's as much of a home game for Cal as anyone can get in an NCAA tourney.

Later Rounds-
Should we get there, I love that our draw is DC. Which, as any Gtown marketing rep can tell you, is full of SU fans. Sure IU is no joke, and it will be an exceedingly tough game, should it happen, but I'd rather play a tough opponent in a friendly environment, as opposed to say, IU in Indy, or Ville in Indy.

All in all, the committee did very good by us. What we do with it is a whole other story, but a very nice path has been laid out in front of us.

I love the draw for the first two rounds. This is a perfect matchup for us with Montana IMO. With their leading scorer and big man out this will be a monumental task for the Grizzlies to pull the upset. We had a tougher matchup last year with Asheville and that was a 1-16 game. I am honestly shocked that Seth Davis picked tem to win because to me after looking at it last night and breaking it down this is a total mismatch. I also thought we got a good draw with UNLV/Cal. Tough game yes but we could have drawn tougher teams in that spot.

Eventually you have to play someone good and Indiana is very good. We will see what happens if we get there.

I wish that we were in the West just because I think that Georgetown gets to the final four and that rivalry needs to have ended in the BET like it was meant to be.

Our 1st rd draw looks like a break on paper but you can never be sure. I think we always are at some degree of risk against mid majors because the zone allows them to control the tempo, milk the clock and make it a low scoring, low possessions game. Most mid majors have kids that are less athletic but compensate by being more skilled passers and shooters. Exactly what you need to play well against the zone. Leary of having to play Cal if they win in a virtual home game for them even if they are soft. If we make the Sweet 16 it's great that we go to DC but IU is a terrible match up with multiple excellent 3 pt shooters and Zeller in the paint. We could beat anybody when Dirty and Triche are making shots. We could also lose to most anybody if we have a game where they are clanging everything. Could Cooney ever pull another Gtown BET game performance?

A team from the Great Northwest Athletic Conference should not be getting a 13 seed,

First round-Montana-

Later Rounds-

With you on all points.

IF we play like we did for 144 minutes in New York, we should dispatch Montana and UNLV or Cal.

Then to be able to come back East as a #4 seed and know that we will have a partisan crowd no matter whom we play, is huge.

Doesn't mean we are going to Atlanta but the table is set this year, which is particularly fortunate considering that we certainly didn't earn any of this.

Our Draw isn't bad - but Ohio State gets the Cake Walk Award, The West is the best draw right now. I think ours is second best (most forgiving) to the West with the Midwest looking to be the most difficult.

In terms of difficult (most difficult to least difficult)
Midwest
South
East
West

All that and a dime, of course, gets you a dime.

I don't like having to cross the country twice. Fly to, play in San Jose, then fly back to play in DC. Hope all the cross country travel doesn't take a toll.

I wish that we were in the West just because I think that Georgetown gets to the final four and that rivalry needs to have ended in the BET like it was meant to be.
Cuse-Georgetown or Cuse-Louisville for the national championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom