Gottlieb 1, Cuse 0 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb 1, Cuse 0

su fans all over the country hate doug gottlieb. this board is a microfraction.

Ahhh, no they don't.

Gottlieb today said:

UNC and Kentucky are better than Syracuse.
Syracuse can win the National Championship.
The best team does not always win the NC.

Whether you think Syracuse 1, 2, 3, or 4...what difference does it make? It's so close amongst all of those teams that's it's nor ridiculous to say UNC and Kentucky are better than Syracuse. Whether you, or I, or anyone else agrees...who cares? It's not an unfair statement.

Syracuse (and the fans are included in this), needs to worry about Syracuse. Not Doug Gottlieb, not the tourney selection committee, not the refs. Just win and move forward.

44cuse

Gottlieb today said:

7-erp-failure-analogies.jpg

Ahhh, no they don't.

Gottlieb today said:

Whether you think Syracuse 1, 2, 3, or 4...what difference does it make? It's so close amongst all of those teams that's it's nor ridiculous to say UNC and Kentucky are better than Syracuse. Whether you, or I, or anyone else agrees...who cares? It's not an unfair statement.

Syracuse (and the fans are included in this), needs to worry about Syracuse. Not Doug Gottlieb, not the tourney selection committee, not the refs. Just win and move forward.

44cuse

All true. What makes me laugh is how much Gottlieb cares.

I'm confused. What part of "Syracuse can be national champions, but isn't as good as Kentucky or North Carolina because they don't rebound, have no offensive post presence, and over-rely on ball screens and isos as a result of no great shooters and that lack of a post scorer" an offensive (or inaccurate) statement?

Some of you are out of your minds with this Gottlieb obsession.

Exactly. You can find plenty of SU fans talking about:

1. The lack of a back to the basket scorer
2. SU can win the tourney
3. Half court offense is challenged

Yet in these discussions it's usually people nodding their heads and saying "So true, but they keep finding a way! Let's hope they keep it up."

Personally, I have yet to come across any SU fan I know who doesn't agree with those points. But when Gottlieb says it, well, you know what happens.

44cuse

People who have a persecution complex will call names and think that Gottlieb is out to get them.

The rest of us will note that he's a college basketball analyst engaged in (perceptive) college basketball analysis.

The attitude was way over the top and dismissive. That's the point. The guy has a thing about Syracuse, it's obvious and there isn't anything wrong with people noteing it. There is nothing disinterested in his approach.

The only thing that Syracuse doesn't have is obvious lottery talent. All his crap about what the holes are and then "who have they played" and yet SU is 31-1, and at the most acknowledges in passing that SU is unlike almost every other team with a real chance to win the NC in the balance of play 1-10, that it has an elite defense and a very unique ability to close games.

All true. What makes me laugh is how much Gottlieb cares.

He just tells it like it is. He's not always right. But he lays it out there. Said something very negative about Duke as well (and we all know how much people here hate Duke) and no one is talking about that. It's SU fan inferiority complex that gets people all riled up. It was the same thing with Cowherd a couple of years back.

And if everyone hates Gottlieb so much, then why even bother watching him when he comes on? These threads get started by generally the same people. At this point in the season, you would think they would have reached the point where if they think he is that wrong...they'd stop listening to him.

Gottlieb has no impact on the team. The team just needs to win.

44cuse

He just tells it like it is. He's not always right. But he lays it out there. Said something very negative about Duke as well (and we all know how much people here hate Duke) and no one is talking about that. It's SU fan inferiority complex that gets people all riled up. It was the same thing with Cowherd a couple of years back.

And if everyone hates Gottlieb so much, then why even bother watching him when he comes on? These threads get started by generally the same people. At this point in the season, you would think they would have reached the point where if they think he is that wrong...they'd stop listening to him.

44cuse

I agree with you. The only reason I commented here on Gottlieb is because in my opinion Gottlieb is a bit obsessed, and I think that hurts him and has no impact on SU. Heck, Syracuse keeps winning. As rrlbees pointed out earlier Gottlieb's body language etc. tells the story. And so does Jay William's body language.

He is getting exactly what he needs: traction amongst SU fans.

I am one of the biggest DG haters too, but I have to admit, he wins.
Eh I think you are off base here. What he said and how he acted at halftime was an embarrassment to himself. The dude is an agitative little that has an axe to grind. It is very obvious to even non Cuse fans

44cuse

These responses make me laugh. No offense 44, but people who are Syracuse fans are supposed to not care what one of the most recognizable CBB analysts out there says about their team? It's not like there are tons of options out there for "expert" takes on CBB with that type of platform. Doug G clearly says things to get a rise out of fans and has essentially admitted as much. And as much as I'd like to pretend what he says about SU doesn't bother me, it does (albeit I try to keep it in perspective because he does pick quite a few teams). Anyway, you are a better man than I am if you can look at someone in his position and with his platform and not be bothered. He tries to make things so black and white...but then when it comes to SU's record things are suddenly grey? Thank god Tirico is there make sure there is at least some semblance of balance.

I generally think Doug G is a decent analyst and he is correct that we have flaws, but he is very hypocritical at other times. Last night he was talking about the Big East and that UCONN shouldn't get in the tourney yet. Far be it for me to defend UCONN, but explaining that one of their few good wins came against a Popeless SHU teams without mentioning that several UCONN losses came without their coach and Boatright is inexplicable to me.

44 you sign off saying this team just needs to win. That's the thought with every team right? Only one team has done it as well as SU this year and the others really aren't close. Doug G's inability to recognize this without looking like he's passing a kidney stone is in part of what makes it so frustrating for me as an SU fan.

These responses make me laugh. No offense 44, but people who are Syracuse fans are supposed to not care what one of the most recognizable CBB analysts out there says about their team? It's not like there are tons of options out there for "expert" takes on CBB with that type of platform. Doug G clearly says things to get a rise out of fans and has essentially admitted as much. And as much as I'd like to pretend what he says about SU doesn't bother me, it does (albeit I try to keep it in perspective because he does pick quite a few teams). Anyway, you are a better man than I am if you can look at someone in his position and with his platform and not be bothered. He tries to make things so black and white...but then when it comes to SU's record things are suddenly grey? Thank god Tirico is there make sure there is at least some semblance of balance.

I generally think Doug G is a decent analyst and he is correct that we have flaws, but he is very hypocritical at other times. Last night he was talking about the Big East and that UCONN shouldn't get in the tourney yet. Far be it for me to defend UCONN, but explaining that one of their few good wins came against a Popeless SHU teams without mentioning that several UCONN losses came without their coach and Boatright is inexplicable to me.

44 you sign off saying this team just needs to win. That's the thought with every team right? Only one team has done it as well as SU this year and the others really aren't close. Doug G's inability to recognize this without looking like he's passing a kidney stone is in part of what makes it so frustrating for me as an SU fan.

You missed the point of the entire post. Whether I agree with or get frustrated by Gottlieb or his comments is not the point. The point is this:

Every time Gottlieb mentions SU the same group of people (generally) have extreme reactions to the pont of not even listening or thinking there might SOME semblance of truth to what he is saying. If these people hate the guy that much, and say he knows nothing about us or basketball and that he's just a credit card theif...then why be bothered by him?

I am like YOU...I am bothered by him because I do respect him and think he is a pretty good analyst. Therefore, it make sense for me to be pi$$ed because I think he generally has pretty good arguments across the board (whether I like it or not). Do I think he is wrong about us? Yes, I do. I think he does not give nearly enough credit to: our defense, transition, ability to turns team over, etc. So that pisses me off.

I just don;t get how people who think he knows nothing and has nothing but a vendetta against SU care so much about him? If you think someone is a boob, why let them bother you?

44cuse

You missed the point of the entire post.

Maybe I did. Would the following sentence summarize your point? Don't b*tch about DG just because he's said something bad about SU, especially if you think he's boob? I've never been good at summing things up...

I think a lot of the people here are more reasonable and are like you and me when it comes to DG and it seemed to me that you were telling those people to just ignore DG (which is kind of hard to do). Anywho, while I think DG is a pretty good analyst, I still think he's a bit of a boob :p

You missed the point of the entire post. Whether I agree with or get frustrated by Gottlieb or his comments is not the point. The point is this:

Every time Gottlieb mentions SU the same group of people (generally) have extreme reactions to the pont of not even listening or thinking there might SOME semblance of truth to what he is saying. If these people hate the guy that much, and say he knows nothing about us or basketball and that he's just a credit card theif...then why be bothered by him?

I am like YOU...I am bothered by him because I do respect him and think he is a pretty good analyst. Therefore, it make sense for me to be pi$$ed because I think he generally has pretty good arguments across the board (whether I like it or not). Do I think he is wrong about us? Yes, I do. I think he does not give nearly enough credit to: our defense, transition, ability to turns team over, etc. So that pisses me off.

I just don;t get how people who think he knows nothing and has nothing but a vendetta against SU care so much about him? If you think someone is a boob, why let them bother you?

44cuse

He's not on alone. He's on with others including Tirico today. So if I don't want to hear what Dickweib says, you want me to turn the channel and not hear what others say? Easy to do if he had his own TV show, but he never has. He is probably the ONLY TV guy who finds it sooooo difficult to give SU credit for anything. He finds the negative in everything SU does even if it is 31-1.

Maybe I did. Would the following sentence summarize your point? Don't b*tch about DG just because he's said something bad about SU, especially if you think he's boob? I've never been good at summing things up...

I think a lot of the people here are more reasonable and are like you and me when it comes to DG and it seemed to me that you were telling those people to just ignore DG (which is kind of hard to do). Anywho, while I think DG is a pretty good analyst, I still think he's a bit of a boob :p

Yep, pretty. If you don't like or respect someone, I'm trying to understand why their opinion would bother you? I don't get it.

44cuse

He's not on alone. He's on with others including Tirico today. So if I don't want to hear what Dickweib says, you want me to turn the channel and not hear what others say? Easy to do if he had his own TV show, but he never has. He is probably the ONLY TV guy who finds it sooooo difficult to give SU credit for anything. He finds the negative in everything SU does even if it is 31-1.

I don't know about that. He said today we could win the national championship. People are reacting like he said we had no chance to win it. He was comparing us to, or ranking us against two other teams. And I talk to SU fans just about everyday who think on one side of the spectrum:

The three teams are equal

and on the other side of the spectrum:

1. Kentucky 2. UNC 3. SU

And those same people are the ones who see issues with rebounding, half court offense etc.

I think what people (even on this board) actually really mean is that they are frustrated with what Gottlieb DOESN'T say instead of what he does. If in the same time he is given on these shows he actually talked about the teams strengths in balance with the weaknesses, would be hard to see what people could be upset with.

44cuse

I don't know about that. He said today we could win the national championship. People are reacting like he said we had no chance to win it. He was comparing us to, or ranking us against two other teams. And I talk to SU fans just about everyday who think on one side of the spectrum:

The three teams are equal

and on the other side of the spectrum:

1. Kentucky 2. UNC 3. SU

And those same people are the ones who see issues with rebounding, half court offense etc.

I think what people (even on this board) actually really mean is that they are frustrated with what Gottlieb DOESN'T say instead of what he does. If in the same time he is given on these shows he actually talked about the teams strengths in balance with the weaknesses, would be hard to see what people could be upset with.

44cuse

That's not what he said nor how he said it. Anything semi positive had to be pulled from him. He was struggling and pained to say anything but well but, well but, well but. We're 31-1 because we didn't play anyone. The other 8 teams (yes, he lumped us with 8 teams, not just UK and UNC) have all played good teams. We didn't play anyone in conference either because we didn't go to Marquette, we didn't go to Gtown. When a team is 31-1 in one of the best conferences, there should be NO reason to use the word "but" when discussing the teams record. If you can't see how much he struggles with us being 31-1 and how he downplays it and minimizes anything we do, well then I don't know what to say or maybe you didn't see it.

That's not what he said nor how he said it. Anything semi positive had to be pulled from him. He was struggling and pained to say anything but well but, well but, well but. We're 31-1 because we didn't play anyone. The other 8 teams (yes, he lumped us with 8 teams, not just UK and UNC) have all played good teams. We didn't play anyone in conference either because we didn't go to Marquette, we didn't go to Gtown. When a team is 31-1 in one of the best conferences, there should be NO reason to use the word "but" when discussing the teams record. If you can't see how much he struggles with us being 31-1 and how he downplays it and minimizes anything we do, well then I don't know what to say or maybe you didn't see it.

You're not even talking about the same point anymore bees. Sorry, you just aren't.

The point is: if you hate the guy (and I am saying you specifically now but it applies to the people who starts these constant threads moreso) so much, why do you care about his opinion? If you think he is an idiot or has it out to get SU, why does it bother you.

I would think you would have to respect someone or see some meaningful value in them to ever be frustrated.

He DOES annoy me because I DO respect his opinion. But he is absolutely right about what he says about us (whatever if he said 8 teams...I did not hear that at all and I did watch it, but I'll go and watch it again if I can find it). Where he is "wrong" is about what he DOESN'T say about us.

I absolutely think he downplays us and that is fine. But he downplayed Duke today as well and nobody is talking about that.

You're absolutely right, he doesn't give us credit for the things we do well. So does it bug me? Yeah. But certainly not enough to get as riled up as people here do (and seemingly you as well, which quite frankly, is surprising). I mean, I've only been reading your posts for ten years and I am truly surprised this bothers you.

44cuse

You're not even talking about the same point anymore bees. Sorry, you just aren't.

I've talked about the same point all along. You mean you hijacked the thread and changed the subject? Your first post in this thread is talking about the exact subject I am. Bottom line, he's a douche bag.

The point is: if you hate the guy (and I am saying you specifically now but it applies to the people who starts these constant threads moreso) so much, why do you care about his opinion? If you think he is an idiot or has it out to get SU, why does it bother you.

I would think you would have to respect someone or see some meaningful value in them to ever be frustrated.

He DOES annoy me because I DO respect his opinion. But he is absolutely right about what he says about us (whatever if he said 8 teams...I did not hear that at all and I did watch it, but I'll go and watch it again if I can find it). Where he is "wrong" is about what he DOESN'T say about us.

I absolutely think he downplays us and that is fine. But he downplayed Duke today as well and nobody is talking about that.

You're absolutely right, he doesn't give us credit for the things we do well. So does it bug me? Yeah. But certainly not enough to get as riled up as people here do (and seemingly you as well, which quite frankly, is surprising). I mean, I've only been reading your posts for ten years and I am truly surprised this bothers you.

44cuse

I am one of the "riled up" ones. F me.

So you're telling me that I don't have a right to bitch that he goes out of his way to discount SU? I am watching ESPN, I'm not going to tune him out. Maybe I don't have the ability to do that. I'm not going to turn the channel because DG is on. You bring up Duke? Duke has 5 losses or something. SU is 31-1. Not sure I understand the relevance.

The point of my first post is simple: he wins when he pisses SU fans off. They will come back and will love to bitch whenever he is on TV. I openly admitted I was/am one of them. You say you can tune him out or not let him get under your skin. Congrats.

At the end of the day, it is obnoxious that he looks like he is constipated when speaking about Syracuse. It hurts him that much. It seems like he genuinely dislikes SU. He was the one that ruined his opportunity to play for JB. Maybe he will always be bitter. Even JB has said in the past that DG didn't know what he was talking about.

When SU marginally missed the dance in '07, DG blew his load.

I totally agree with Bees. Dude has an agenda against Syracuse ever since he and James Arthur had their little spat. He also consistently comes across with a holier than thou attitude that I have difficulty with. Those two things sum it up for me. He hates everything Syracuse and comes across like a douche while doing it. I have absolutely no use for him and his douchebagery. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

how is it possible to go 31-1 in the big east and not beat anyone on the road? the guy is laughable. dougie has a nice schtick going here...just because you are knowledgable does not also mean you cannot be biased and have an agenda too

I've talked about the same point all along. You mean you hijacked the thread and changed the subject? Your first post in this thread is talking about the exact subject I am. Bottom line, he's a douche bag.

You're an admin. Explain to me how I hijacked the thread. If you are going to tell me that throwing in a little common sense to the statement: "He is getting exactly what he needs: traction amongst SU fans.

I am one of the biggest DG haters too, but I have to admit, he wins."

...is hijacking the thread, then I'd say that's stretching just a bit. [EDIT] More specifically, point out where I changed the subject.

I responded to a specific person about a specific statement they made about "SU fans all over the country". That's not hijacking a thread.

And nothing that as occurred after that has been that far off from the original point of the thread.

And, fwiw, I don't disagree that he's a douchebag. I would just prefer people are accurate in pointing out WHY is a douchebag.

44cuse

So you're telling me that I don't have a right to bitch that he goes out of his way to discount SU?

No. I'm not telling you that. What I'm saying is that constant Gottlieb posts with the same garbage in it over and over again is inane. Hardly a day goes by without a Gottlieb post.

I just don't see how saying what he said was going out of his way to discount SU. Because the same things he said are the exact same things that lot's of SU fans are saying.

Yeah, he's bitter. Who the f cares? We're 31-1, finding ways to win that no team in my 30 years of watching SU basketball has done this well, and people spend time bitching about Doug Gottlieb? What?

Are we as a fan base really that thin-skinned and starved for positive attention that Doug Gottlieb is gonna bother everyone this much? Seriously?

Ignore him. Win. And move on.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom