Gottlieb 1, Cuse 0 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gottlieb 1, Cuse 0

You're an admin. Explain to me how I hijacked the thread. If you are going to tell me that throwing in a little common sense to the statement: "He is getting exactly what he needs: traction amongst SU fans.

I am one of the biggest DG haters too, but I have to admit, he wins."

...is hijacking the thread, then I'd say that's stretching just a bit. [EDIT] More specifically, point out where I changed the subject.

I responded to a specific person about a specific statement they made about "SU fans all over the country". That's not hijacking a thread.

And nothing that as occurred after that has been that far off from the original point of the thread.

And, fwiw, I don't disagree that he's a douchebag. I would just prefer people are accurate in pointing out WHY is a douchebag.

44cuse

Well, you're the one that said I was talking about a different topic when I am talking about the same topic everyone else is. So if you aren't, you must be talking something else. So maybe you can expalin to me instead, how I was no longer talking about the topic at hand?

PS: Your very first reply, and others, were talking about the EXACT same topic as the rest of us.

PSS: You were the 27th post in the thread.

Well, you're the one that said I was talking about a different topic when I am talking about the same topic everyone else is. So if you aren't, you must be talking something else. So maybe you can expalin to me instead, how I was no longer talking about the topic at hand?

PS: Your very first reply, and others, were talking about the EXACT same topic as the rest of us.

PSS: You were the 27th post in the thread.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. So what was "hijacked"? Doesn't that imply taking something in a different direction?

In what I would consider to be the natural course of a thread, the discussion evolved to my saying:

"The point is: if you hate the guy (and I am saying you specifically now but it applies to the people who starts these constant threads moreso) so much, why do you care about his opinion? If you think he is an idiot or has it out to get SU, why does it bother you."

So if the only purpose of the thread was to bitch about Gottlieb, and no rationale/counter points allowed (even though I kind of agree but am just trying to make it realistic)...let me know. What...I don't even care about this that much.

44cuse

Yeah, that's exactly my point. So what was "hijacked"? Doesn't that imply taking something in a different direction?

You'll have to tell me. You are the one that said "You're not even talking about the same point anymore bees. Sorry, you just aren't."

So I guess you changed it.

Exactly. You can find plenty of SU fans talking about:

1. The lack of a back to the basket scorer
2. SU can win the tourney
3. Half court offense is challenged

Yet in these discussions it's usually people nodding their heads and saying "So true, but they keep finding a way! Let's hope they keep it up."

Personally, I have yet to come across any SU fan I know who doesn't agree with those points. But when Gottlieb says it, well, you know what happens.

44cuse

Here's the problem with Doug's assessment.

Although Syracuse does have those issues, they have strengths that are better than UNC's & Kentucky's, so it's a wash in that regard.

For him to say that UNC is better, cannot be said with any credibility. It makes him appear foolish to the people who know better, but it sends a deceiving message to the casual fan, making them believe Syracuse is inferior. When Doug & the other pundits tell these lies & half-truths every year, it hurts the 'CUSE's reputation, & could hurt their recruiting in the long term.

These liars must be set straight for the good of the program...

You'll have to tell me. You are the one that said "You're not even talking about the same point anymore bees. Sorry, you just aren't."

So I guess you changed it.

Well, if I thought you weren't talking about the same thing, then I obviously I thought you took it in a different direction. That's why I said "you're" and didn;t say something referencing changing context (on my part).

All I asked was that you, as an Admin, tell me where I hijacked something. You were very clear when you reinstated me 4 years ago and I'm pretty sure I've held pretty tight to what you asked.

So if you are accusing me of hijacking something, given the history, probably fair to let me know what the boundaries are.

44cuse

These liars must be set straight for the good of the program...

Seriously? Liars?

On your other points, I know far more people who think Kentucky and UNC are better than SU than think SU is better than UNC. I don't necessarily believe that, but people that I know who follow college basketball probably pretty similarly to those here, they seem to think UNC is better as well.

[EDIT] Adding one other thing:

Would you be more comfortable with Gottlieb's comments if he was more balanced and talked about our positives along with the negatives?

44cuse

Well, if I thought you weren't talking about the same thing, then I obviously I thought you took it in a different direction. That's why I said "you're" and didn;t say something referencing changing context (on my part).

All I asked was that you, as an Admin, tell me where I hijacked something. You were very clear when you reinstated me 4 years ago and I'm pretty sure I've held pretty tight to what you asked.

So if you are accusing me of hijacking something, given the history, probably fair to let me know what the boundaries are.

44cuse

Nevermind, you don't get it. Went over your head.

Nevermind, you don't get it. Went over your head.

There's no point in taking up more thread space. I'll attempt the high road and move it to a conversation.

44cuse

Yep, pretty. If you don't like or respect someone, I'm trying to understand why their opinion would bother you? I don't get it.

44cuse

Couldn't you take some of your own advice and just not pay attention to these posts if they bother you so much?

I'll attempt the high road and move it to a conversation.

the-high-road.jpg

Seriously? Liars?

On your other points, I know far more people who think Kentucky and UNC are better than SU than think SU is better than UNC. I don't necessarily believe that, but people that I know who follow college basketball probably pretty similarly to those here, they seem to think UNC is better as well.

[EDIT] Adding one other thing:

Would you be more comfortable with Gottlieb's comments if he was more balanced and talked about our positives along with the negatives?

44cuse

The reason why these friends think UNC is better, goes right back to my point. They don't look at all the stats, & the facts, they simply believe these so called "experts" because they are on a major network, & are supposed to be good at their craft of basketball knowledge. I don't see people like Doug actually using every piece of evidence that shows Syracuse is better on paper than UNC. Jay Williams was the only non-Syracuse biased analyst who wouldn't agree with Doug's assessment.

These pundits have created a narrative about teams like UNC & Duke throughout the years, giving them more power than they deserve. Now, it's impossible to assert a retort to this perceived establishment without the same condescending response, just like your answer to me. UNC, Duke, Kansas, & Kentucky have become a protected class, & no one should dare challenge their sovereignty.

Did Syracuse lose to an average opponent by 30 points? Does UNC have only 1 loss throughout an entire season, & undefeated at full strength?

There is NO EXPERT that can claim the superiority of UNC above Syracuse this season. In fact, the opposite is true...

I agree with both sides here. DG is a jerk and to many of us seems quite biased. I also agree with those who said he told the truth, and made a number of the same points off and on throughout the season. For me, it's not as much what he said but how he said it.

If the original premise was that he wins because we will tune in to listen to his jackassery(I guess the Howard Stern formula), I think it doesn't work here, at least for me. Just like I am not going to turn the channel to avoid him, I am not going to turn it to watch him. In monopoly situations, it doesn't work the same as it would if these games weren't exclusively broadcast and we had better choices. If the premise were simply he wins by using his camera time to get under our skin, that may be partly true. However, one could argue that SU fans win for the mere fact that a guy who clearly dislikes them is forced to talk about them in the same sentence with national championship so often. I know I enjoy watching him get riled, and if we do win the NC, actually will have extra incentive to listen to him, but not until then or otherwise.

Couldn't you take some of your own advice and just not pay attention to these posts if they bother you so much?
Yes, that's what I should have done in the first place.

44cuse

These pundits have created a narrative about teams like UNC & Duke throughout the years, giving them more power than they deserve. Now, it's impossible to assert a retort to this perceived establishment without the same condescending response, just like your answer to me. UNC, Duke, Kansas, & Kentucky have become a protected class, & no one should dare challenge their sovereignty.

Wow...that's certainly one opinion. You're certainly entitled to it, but I think those teams have earned what they got historically.

Sorry, I just don;t believe there is some great media conspiracy against SU and pro other teams.

44cuse

Are we as a fan base really that thin-skinned and starved for positive attention that Doug Gottlieb is gonna bother everyone this much? Seriously?
44cuse

People have problems with Doug because this has been an ongoing thing. It didn't just spring up, there is a definite pattern of him bashing anything 'Cuse. Recruits and others around the country do listen to him because he is a good analyst otherwise. Not blaming the "SU never plays road games" mantra solely on him, but he has also jumped on the " soft schedule" chorus for years no matter who we schedule.. I agree with others that his bias needs to be exposed for what it is, bias.

I agree with both sides here. DG is a jerk and to many of us seems quite biased. I also agree with those who said he told the truth, and made a number of the same points off and on throughout the season. For me, it's not as much what he said but how he said it.

If the original premise was that he wins because we will tune in to listen to his jackassery(I guess the Howard Stern formula), I think it doesn't work here, at least for me. Just like I am not going to turn the channel to avoid him, I am not going to turn it to watch him. In monopoly situations, it doesn't work the same as it would if these games weren't exclusively broadcast and we had better choices. If the premise were simply he wins by using his camera time to get under our skin, that may be partly true. However, one could argue that SU fans win for the mere fact that a guy who clearly dislikes them is forced to talk about them in the same sentence with national championship so often. I know I enjoy watching him get riled, and if we do win the NC, actually will have extra incentive to listen to him, but not until then or otherwise.

And the point is: If you disagree with him so much, then his statements should have no value because one has no regard for him.

Whatever..>Gottlieb gets under people's skins. Great.

44cuse

I'm confused. What part of "Syracuse can be national champions, but isn't as good as Kentucky or North Carolina because they don't rebound, have no offensive post presence, and over-rely on ball screens and isos as a result of no great shooters and that lack of a post scorer" an offensive (or inaccurate) statement?

Some of you are out of your minds with this Gottlieb obsession.
as opposed to you who understands dg rants against our school.

Wow...that's certainly one opinion. You're certainly entitled to it, but I think those teams have earned what they got historically.

Sorry, I just don;t believe there is some great media conspiracy against SU and pro other teams.

44cuse

They have earned a degree of respect, but not enough to deny the facts of the case. They should be respected for their rich history, but if another team is clearly better than them in any given year, you can't give these blue bloods the edge simply because they have a great history.

So, it's not a conspiracy against Syracuse, it's an obvious bias for these programs over any other school that is actually better than them within that given season... If Baylor or Missouri had only 1 loss, these pundits would be disrespecting them also...

They have earned a degree of respect, but not enough to deny the facts of the case. They should be respected for their rich history, but if another team is clearly better than them in any given year, you can't give these blue bloods the edge simply because they have a great history.

So, it's not a conspiracy against Syracuse, it's an obvious bias for these programs over any other school that is actually better than them within that given season... If Baylor or Missouri had only 1 loss, these pundits would be disrespecting them also...

Well, I just don't see it that way. No one is saying Kansas is better than Syracuse. No one is saying Duke is better than Syracuse. The only thing people are saying is that Kentucky definitively and UNC potentially are better than SU. And even then there are those who say SU is better than UNC.

There is no doubt in my mind we are one of the two best teams in the country. And I absolutely believe we can be the best team. But the difference between 1,2,3 this year is negligible.

44cuse

He always focuses on an aspect of the game where SU had a weakness. He never focus on the areas of strength. Our defense the last 8 minutes of the game was stifling but he chose to ignore that. He will always pick out some flaw. I don't care what anyone says...he hates on SU and wold never be so unnecessarily negative about UK and UNC though they have flaws too.

su fans all over the country hate doug gottlieb. this board is a microfraction.
Inciteful and is true to his convictions!! As Yogi Berra says " Include me out !! "--I Give him Five Stars !!

Well, I just don't see it that way. No one is saying Kansas is better than Syracuse. No one is saying Duke is better than Syracuse. The only thing people are saying is that Kentucky definitively and UNC potentially are better than SU. And even then there are those who say SU is better than UNC.

There is no doubt in my mind we are one of the two best teams in the country. And I absolutely believe we can be the best team. But the difference between 1,2,3 this year is negligible.

44cuse

You are partially incorrect here. Doug Gottleib, and other pundits have said UNC is better than Syracuse. Not potentially, but clearly... For them to say this is an obvious ignorance of the manifold evidence.

Kentucky has a case to be potentially better, but even they have inferior stats to Syracuse.

You definitely sugar coated their analysis here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom