Grant and the NBA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Grant and the NBA

You take away those highlight reel dunks and I bet most here think he would be a 2nd. at best or a preferred walk-on free agent. When there is bodies between him and the rim he just aims his shot in the general direction hoping he doesn't get bounced.

He is very weak in the lane when pressured with a body. I am sure the pros are seeing the same thing. He needs to play stronger in the lane with better body control....hit the weights young man.

By his senior year, he showed that he could hit one. Proof of concept. It may have only been about 1 attempt a game, but he hit almost 30%. After having not hit any except for a lucky one his freshman year, that was an extra element he added to his game for the benefit of projecting his game to the next level, just like John Wallace never really made any until his senior year (and then, BOY, did he hit a couple big ones!).

Getting back to the original point, at what skill does Grant project better as a pro than Warrick?

Better defender. He's got a long way to go to match Warrick offensively, though.

You take away those highlight reel dunks and I bet most here think he would be a 2nd. at best or a preferred walk-on free agent. When there is bodies between him and the rim he just aims his shot in the general direction hoping he doesn't get bounced.

He is very weak in the lane when pressured with a body. I am sure the pros are seeing the same thing. He needs to play stronger in the lane with better body control...hit the weights young man.

I think the mono had to cut into his time in the weight room this off-season.

IthacaMatt said:
By his senior year, he showed that he could hit one. Proof of concept. It may have only been about 1 attempt a game, but he hit almost 30%. After having not hit any except for a lucky one his freshman year, that was an extra element he added to his game for the benefit of projecting his game to the next level, just like John Wallace never really made any until his senior year (and then, BOY, did he hit a couple big ones!).

Getting back to the original point, at what skill does Grant project better as a pro than Warrick?

He is already better off the dribble

Add a little Donte´Greene to Grant's game and you might get Hakim Warrick.

People may have forgotten just how good of a college player Warrick was because his NBA career was a disappointment, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't call it disappointing at all. He stuck around for 8 years, got multiple contracts. If you go back and look at the guys drafted #19 overall, the only guy drafted since 2000 who had a better career is Zach Randolph. Jeff Teague is on the way to surpassing Warricks's career.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-19

Not a knock on Jerami but I view him as a poor mans Hak.

A poor man Hak as a senior. But he isnt far off (if at all) as Hak as a Soph

I wouldn't call it disappointing at all. He stuck around for 8 years, got multiple contracts. If you go back and look at the guys drafted #19 overall, the only guy drafted since 2000 who had a better career is Zach Randolph. Jeff Teague is on the way to surpassing Warricks's career.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/history-of-the-nba-draft-pick-number-19

Other SR Links: College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Salaries

Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK · ?
SeasonTeamLgSalary
2005-06Memphis GrizzliesNBA$1,196,520
2006-07Memphis GrizzliesNBA$1,286,280
2007-08Memphis GrizzliesNBA$1,376,040
2008-09Memphis GrizzliesNBA$2,119,102
2009-10Chicago BullsNBA$3,000,000
2010-11Phoenix SunsNBA$4,250,000
2011-12Phoenix SunsNBA$4,000,000
2012-13Orlando MagicNBA$4,000,000
Career(may be incomplete)$21,227,942

I have a tough time calling $21,227, 942 a disappointment too. He also scored nearly 5,000 points and pulled down over 2,000 boards. He wasnt a superstar. But he was productive and should be set for life.

Teague is on his way of becoming a top 5ish PG in the league.

I cant believe Quincy Douby was a 1st round pick. Those Rutgers teams had talent. I cant beleive they were so average.

Marquis Webb (i belive he chose rutgers over cuse - but that was back before our real prime time)
n'diaye
ricky shields could flat out score
you can go back to herve lamizana who was a legit BE player

i may be cross referencing some teams there... but the talent was there for them to be pretty good. They could just never put it together.

I think the mono had to cut into his time in the weight room this off-season.
forgot about that, but still he needs to get his body stronger for the next level.

once he does that things will get better for him and syracuse

Other SR Links: College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Salaries

Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK · ?
SeasonTeamLgSalary
2005-06Memphis GrizzliesNBA$1,196,520
2006-07Memphis GrizzliesNBA$1,286,280
2007-08Memphis GrizzliesNBA$1,376,040
2008-09Memphis GrizzliesNBA$2,119,102
2009-10Chicago BullsNBA$3,000,000
2010-11Phoenix SunsNBA$4,250,000
2011-12Phoenix SunsNBA$4,000,000
2012-13Orlando MagicNBA$4,000,000
Career(may be incomplete)$21,227,942

I have a tough time calling $21,227, 942 a disappointment too. He also scored nearly 5,000 points and pulled down over 2,000 boards. He wasnt a superstar. But he was productive and should be set for life.

Teague is on his way of becoming a top 5ish PG in the league.

wow...he hit the lottery and must be laughing all the way to the Mercedes dealers

JG has a decent upside, but his current basketball skills are currently lacking. Other than athleticism, what NBA skill does he have? He's not an outside shooter, his handle is borderline weak, and I don't see any NBA caliber moves to get shots. His offensive game is basically lowering his shoulder and hoping for a foul/open lane, along with putbacks. That's not going to work at the next level, as it barely works now. He's an NBA tweener too. He doesn't have the bulk or post game to play PF at a high level, and he doesn't have SF shooting or ball handling skills. I think that's what his biggest problem is going to be in the NBA.

I assume he'll leave if he gets the assurance he wants that he'll go high enough. But I think his best move is to come back and spend the summer crafting his offensive game, and being the go-to player for us next year. How many players have we seen wash out of the NBA because their skills never caught up to their athleticism?

Jasoncuse said:
JG has a decent upside, but his current basketball skills are currently lacking. Other than athleticism, what NBA skill does he have? He's not an outside shooter, his handle is borderline weak, and I don't see any NBA caliber moves to get shots. His offensive game is basically lowering his shoulder and hoping for a foul/open lane, along with putbacks. That's not going to work at the next level, as it barely works now. He's an NBA tweener too. He doesn't have the bulk or post game to play PF at a high level, and he doesn't have SF shooting or ball handling skills. I think that's what his biggest problem is going to be in the NBA. I assume he'll leave if he gets the assurance he wants that he'll go high enough. But I think his best move is to come back and spend the summer crafting his offensive game, and being the go-to player for us next year. How many players have we seen wash out of the NBA because their skills never caught up to their athleticism?

Why can't he work on his offensive game in the NBA?

He might or might not wash up in the NBA, but if you're a lottery pick, you leave, no reason to stay.

Between injury risk, lack of development, or say he is the go to guy and doesn't flourish in that roll, he's shot. You take the rookie lottery money, work your tail off and get that second contact. Too much can go wrong for him to stay.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2013.html

Interesting to go through the years. Our late 90's very early 2000's recruiting was low big east level.

that has changed.

It certainly has improved, but just going by the rankings it still isn't at the level that people want to make it out to be.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dissatisfied at all with the recruiting and the players that the staff is bringing in. In fact I have really liked the guys we've recruited, but the discussions about whether we are a selector school or not seem a little goofball when you look at the rankings of guys we've successfully recruited.

In the last 5 classes, only one guy (Fab) that was a consensus top 20 player. Over that 5 year span six total top 30.

Triche (#134 - 2009)
Southerland (not among top 198)

CJ Fair (#84 - 2010)
Waiters (#23 - 2010)
Keita (not among top 160)
Fab (#15 - 2010)

MCW (#27 - 2011)
Rak (#25 - 2011)
Cooney (#100 - 2011)

Grant (#42 - 2012)
Coleman (#19 - 2012)
Patterson (#134 - 2012 / #124 - 2013)

Ennis (#27 - 2013)
Roberson (#45 - 2013)
Johnson (#164 - 2013)
Obokoh (not in top 260)

pfister1 said:
It certainly has improved, but just going by the rankings it still isn't at the level that people want to make it out to be. Don't get me wrong I'm not dissatisfied at all with the recruiting and the players that the staff is bringing in. In fact I have really liked the guys we've recruited, but the discussions about whether we are a selector school or not seem a little goofball when you look at the rankings of guys we've successfully recruited. In the last 5 classes, only one guy (Fab) that was a consensus top 20 player. Over that 5 year span six total

Nailed it.

GOOrange5 said:
The rankings (Especially ESPN) I believe to be biased. If not committed to Kentucky, North Carolina, or Duke (Specifically) you move down in their rankings. I firmly believe this to be true.

They're not really far off from rivals and scout.

JG has a decent upside, but his current basketball skills are currently lacking. Other than athleticism, what NBA skill does he have? He's not an outside shooter, his handle is borderline weak, and I don't see any NBA caliber moves to get shots. His offensive game is basically lowering his shoulder and hoping for a foul/open lane, along with putbacks. That's not going to work at the next level, as it barely works now. He's an NBA tweener too. He doesn't have the bulk or post game to play PF at a high level, and he doesn't have SF shooting or ball handling skills. I think that's what his biggest problem is going to be in the NBA.

I assume he'll leave if he gets the assurance he wants that he'll go high enough. But I think his best move is to come back and spend the summer crafting his offensive game, and being the go-to player for us next year. How many players have we seen wash out of the NBA because their skills never caught up to their athleticism?]
If J.Grant intends to go Pro this year or next, I suggest his Passport is up to Date!!!! I remember back a few years age when some posters were concerned that Christmas might go Pro after his freshman year. Go Cuse!

Why can't he work on his offensive game in the NBA?

He might or might not wash up in the NBA, but if you're a lottery pick, you leave, no reason to stay.

Between injury risk, lack of development, or say he is the go to guy and doesn't flourish in that roll, he's shot. You take the rookie lottery money, work your tail off and get that second contact. Too much can go wrong for him to stay.

In this draft no way he's a lotto pick (top 14)

No guarantee that he's a top 14 player next year, but he'll still go in the top 20 this year. NBA scouts will overlook some of the flaws for the athleticism. There aren't 20 guys in the NCAA who have a better NBA-level skill than Grant right now. Someone will take him and tell him to stay in the gym and shoot the corner 3 until he can't lift his arms.

Grant's future is to try to become a Battier-type perimeter defender/rebounder who can hit the corner 3 at a decent clip. If he stays at SU another year, he's not going to be featured in a way that will increase his draft status.

No guarantee that he's a top 14 player next year, but he'll still go in the top 20 this year. NBA scouts will overlook some of the flaws for the athleticism. There aren't 20 guys in the NCAA who have a better NBA-level skill than Grant right now. Someone will take him and tell him to stay in the gym and shoot the corner 3 until he can't lift his arms.

Grant's future is to try to become a Battier-type perimeter defender/rebounder who can hit the corner 3 at a decent clip. If he stays at SU another year, he's not going to be featured in a way that will increase his draft status.

A year or two without any playing time may factor into his decision. He may have great potential but as he is now I do not think he will get much playing time or make the roster.

I found this take on Grant from Orangeyes articles to be particularly interesting:

"For a guy with such limited skills, it's amazing how productive Jerami Grant continues to be. He relies strictly on his crazy length and athleticism to pick up buckets at the rim—no jumper, no shot creativity and a 65 percent free-throw stroke. ...But to play the wing in the pros, you must have some sort of a perimeter game. And Grant doesn't right now."

I love Grant's game as an elite college athlete, but I find myself agreeing with the above "scouting report." To be honest, I don't see Grant's skill set translating to the NBA - at least not yet. My opinion does not come from an egocentric Orange fan perspective who hopes he stays at SU just because it benefits SU. I think Grant is a player who will be better served in the long term by staying in college and developing his skill set to whatever degree he can before he enters the league.

But, I would not blame him for jumping given the majority of the NBA projections I have read.
Grant should stay only because he probably will not be drafted. If he does ,he better update his Passport !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom