Grant and the NBA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Grant and the NBA

A year or two without any playing time may factor into his decision. He may have great potential but as he is now I do not think he will get much playing time or make the roster.

If you asked most CBB players, they wouldn't object to earning 7 figures with limited playing time (or playing in the D league). I don't disagree that Grant isn't ready for major NBA minutes, but he's a 1st rd pick now and I still expect him to be gone after the year.

Love Grant but a high draft, no...right now. Doesn't have a good move to the hoop (a decent one but not an NBA multiple one for a guy of his size) and takes to long to load his J and to add to that it isn't that accurate. I may be wrong due to his role on the team as he isn't the guy who shoots the J and I'd like to see how he handles that from the side and at 12-15. Once Fair leaves could Grant slide into that role if he stays?

I wouldn't blame him for leaving if he gets good info on being a high pick. Take the money when it's there but when I look at Fair and if he continues to develop his right hand, could Grant be more relaxed and develop into a top 5-9 pick in 2015? He has potential to if the team is on his shoulders.

If Grant is going to have any sort of NBA career, he needs to develop ballhandling skills and at least a midrange jumper, or he needs to bulk up a lot to play power forward. The comparison to Hakim is reasonable, and the lack of those two skills kept him from making a bigger NBA impact. But he definitely not Darius Miles. He sucked, yet he was somehow able to parlay the ability to dunk and block shots (yes, I know, staggering skills for a 6'9" guy) into an NBA career where he made $60M+. A friend and I saw him at the McD's AA game in Boston just before he was drafted, and the writeup was he was athletic, could run/dunk/block shots. Awesome, but at 6'9", you should be able to do that. If money is the object, then yes, Grant could likely go pro, and make a great fiscal career (relative to 99.99% of people) right now, without improving anything, although the NBA is not paying the same as it did for Miles, but that is not an impact player. Hakim made $21M+, but you'd never say he was an impact player.

Jerami can be an impact player if he adds those skills. I hope he does, and I hope he'd add them at SU, but if some team says "here's $12M to develop over the next four years", that'd be tough to turn down. FYI, MCW got a 4yr $10M deal or so.

Kev

If Grant could develop any type of jump shot and hit shots consistently, he could easily work his way into the top 10.

the key thing with Grant (and with every player, actually) is his age.

Jerami will be 20 this March. An ultra-athletic 20 year old with an unrefined skill set looks like a tantalizing prospect to a team picking in the second half of the first round.

The same kid at 21, who they have now watched for two full seasons, often has the bloom come off the rose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom