Class of 2016 - Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California

JB will not play more than 8.

Coleman - Chuckwu - Lydon - Roberson - Moyer - Battle - Howard - Richardson

Tell me which of those 8 will be sitting in favor of a transfer from Columbia.

He most certainly will play more than 8 if some players lack skills that he needs (e.g., too many guards who can't shoot the 3), or if the player is good enough. If you look back at our best teams, most of them played 8.5 or even 9 guys regularly.

Kaiser is correct. All of them. But mostly Battle and Howard. This kid can shoot. A very valuable commodity. Having said that, it is easy to recruit against us on this one.
if he can't do other things well (i.e., quickly grasp the top of the 2-3) he won't be getting minutes from JB, even if he's a career 50% 3pt shooter.

JB will not play more than 8.

The 3 guards: Battle - Howard - Richardson

Now, let's say that Battle starts off the season shooting only 20-30% from three. Then do you think the fourth guard sees the floor, especially if he can shoot the 3 like Mullins?

If you look back at our best teams, most of them played 8.5 or even 9 guys regularly.
This is revisionist history, or just mis-remembering. JB has never gone "regularly" with more than 8 once a season got into the homestretch

Now, let's say that Battle starts off the season shooting only 20-30% from three. Then do you think the fourth guard sees the floor, especially if he can shoot the 3 like Mullins?
If he's playing good defense and driving the ball well on offense?

Yeah, you don't do the whole graduate transfer thing to sit on the bench. I doubt he starts, but he could get anywhere from 10-25 min. a night if he adjusts well and shoots like it seems he's capable. The nice thing about having Big guards is that we can, if we choose play them all over to accommodate a less flexible teammate. Mal can play the 3. Battle can play the 1 and maybe the 3. They can find minutes at the 2.

He might if he could be a contributor on another Final Four team. We are going to be good next year. Does the kid want to go out with a more limited role on a very successful team, or as a bigger player on a moderately successful team?

This is revisionist history, or just mis-remembering. JB has never gone "regularly" with more than 8 once a season got into the homestretch
Didn't we play a lot of guys in 2012? Didn't we play 9 in 2003? And I would not be surprised to see him play in front of Howard.

He definitely contacted UM. Right now though, UM doesn't have a scholarship for him. Will they run someone off to make room?

Linkage
Running somebody off for a one year player would be an awesome move.

Disagree. In 2010-11 we regularly played 9 guys

1 Kris Joseph
2 Rick Jackson
3 Scoop Jardine
4 Brandon Triche
5 Dion Waiters
6 C.J. Fair
7 James Southerland
8 Baye Moussa Keita
9 Fab Melo

2011-12 we played 9.5 guys, with MCW getting in 26 games for an average of 10 minutes a game, as the half a guy.

1 Kris Joseph
2 Dion Waiters
3 Brandon Triche
4 Scoop Jardine
5 C.J. Fair
6 James Southerland
7 Fab Melo
8 Rakeem Christmas
9 Baye Moussa Keita
10 Michael Carter-Williams

2013 was 8.5 because Coleman got injured.
2014 was only 7 guys. Roberson barely played.
2015 was the worst. We really only had 5 guys after McCullough got hurt. BJ and Buss played but never really locked down positions in the rotation.
This year was 7 guys.

KaiserUEO said:
they all will. and we can slide Mal to the 3 and for 1 of either Tyler or Robe as well. theres minutes there.

Agree so much.

So many here act like we're top heavy with guards.

We're now down to 3.

Battle sprains an ankle and were down to 2.

Mali leaves and we're down to 2.

No one else is capable of playing in the backcourt.

We should be able to fill a roster next year of 11 with as many as 4 guards.

Most have 13 with 4-5 guards.

'10-'11 season - Fab and Southerland played very sparingly, especially in close games of importance
'11-'12 - MCW and Rak played very sparingly, especially in close games of importance
'12-'13 - Coleman and Cooney played very sparingly, especially in close games of importance

JB does not go beyond 8 once conference play starts, barring fouls, injuries, etc

2012: Rak played 23 minutes a game his junior year, so no, you're wrong. MCW played 10 minutes a game for 26 games (which is good minutes to make an impact and break in as a freshman), but he did not play down the stretch, you're right about that one.

2013 was a crippled roster with no depth. I agree about that one. But just go back 3 seasons or so and we had a string of years where we regularly played 8 to 9 guys.

Disagree. In 2010-11 we regularly played 9 guys

1 Kris Joseph
2 Rick Jackson
3 Scoop Jardine
4 Brandon Triche
5 Dion Waiters
6 C.J. Fair
7 James Southerland
8 Baye Moussa Keita
9 Fab Melo

2011-12 we played 9.5 guys, with MCW getting in 26 games for an average of 10 minutes a game, as the half a guy.

1 Kris Joseph
2 Dion Waiters
3 Brandon Triche
4 Scoop Jardine
5 C.J. Fair
6 James Southerland
7 Fab Melo
8 Rakeem Christmas
9 Baye Moussa Keita
10 Michael Carter-Williams

2013 was 8.5 because Coleman got injured.
2014 was only 7 guys. Roberson barely played.
2015 was the worst. We really only had 5 guys after McCullough got hurt. BJ and Buss played but never really locked down positions in the rotation.
This year was 7 guys.
come on man, Fab barely played in '11. MCW and Rak barely played in '12. I'm talking about once conf play started and competitive games

Antiprodigy said:
Moyer will have his time. But he isn't playing 20-25 minutes next year. He needs time to learn where he needs to be in the zone. We all have plenty of experience watching what happens to new bigs when trying to learn & play JB's zone.

Moyer is a smart kid. He played at the top of the zone often at Kent.

He'll pick things up quickly.

Moyer will have his time. But he isn't playing 20-25 minutes next year. He needs time to learn where he needs to be in the zone. We all have plenty of experience watching what happens to new bigs when trying to learn & play JB's zone.

It all depends on Roberson. If Roberson doesn't bring it every game, Moyer will be out there. He's very underrated by our fans. I see a lot of Terrance Roberts (before the knee injuries) in him.

I'm not trying to say Mullins wouldn't be of value for us - he certainly would. I'm just saying that if Mal does come back there won't be the kind of minutes available to him that he'd want/expect

pearl31 said:
I'm not trying to say Mullins wouldn't be of value for us - he certainly would. I'm just saying that if Mal does come back there won't be the kind of minutes available to him that he'd want/expect

Can't argue much there.

But we're going to need shooters -- and they find a way to get him minutes by moving Mali to the 3 at times.

We're playing with fire if we go into next year with only 3 guards.

We're playing with fire if we go into next year with only 3 guards.
Sure, I guess, but it's also not realistic to think we can just go out and pick a surefire impact guard at this stage. I'm sure we can land a quality transfer, but probably not Mullins

Sure, I guess, but it's also not realistic to think we can just go out and pick a surefire impact guard at this stage. I'm sure we can land a quality transfer, but probably not Mullins

I think the Final Four appearance will help with that. :)

Again, Mal can slide down.

DC & chuck might combine for 30 mins, so there's 10 more left for Tyler or Roberson to slide over and give Moyer minutes or Mal at the 3.

Battle and Howard may not get more than 20 minutes each...theres time for a 6'3 sharp shooter on top of the zone.

You are just giving the board another example of over loving the recruits and think they can come in and give us 30 minutes a game, when history tells us that less than 10 is coming to someone.

Maybe none in acc play.

Plenty of time.

Bring in the adult for the backcourt who can shoot.

The quality players we have the more likely JB will throw the press during games in the first half to speed up the game.

We pressed in 2011 and 2012 to mix it up and speed up teams. When JB has quality depth he isn't afraid to do this when he only has 7 guys he won't press unless its absolutely necessary as it drains the players legs.

If we can get Mullins we would should. Don't worry about the kids needing 30MPG just divide up the minutes as the situations dictate. The best recent SU guard Dion Waiters averaged like 25-28 MPG when you look at that and then look at JB's propensity for not subbing his best players you laugh. JB will sub when his bench is Waiters/Southerland/Carter-Williams/Keita.

He won't sub when his bench is Kaleb Joseph/Chino. If we can get to 9 quality players next year JB will mix the press in a lot more.

I doubt that JB is sitting back figuring out how many will play what minutes and then deciding who to bring in based off of that. I think you look for holes to fill (shooting) and you fill it. Minutes will work itself out and is a good problem to have.

The quality players we have the more likely JB will throw the press during games in the first half to speed up the game.

We pressed in 2011 and 2012 to mix it up and speed up teams. When JB has quality depth he isn't afraid to do this when he only has 7 guys he won't press unless its absolutely necessary as it drains the players legs.

If we can get Mullins we would should. Don't worry about the kids needing 30MPG just divide up the minutes as the situations dictate. The best recent SU guard Dion Waiters averaged like 25-28 MPG when you look at that and then look at JB's propensity for not subbing his best players you laugh. JB will sub when his bench is Waiters/Southerland/Carter-Williams/Keita.

He won't sub when his bench is Kaleb Joseph/Chino. If we can get to 9 quality players next year JB will mix the press in a lot more.*

*Only if it's actually good.