Class of 2016 - Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California

Proximity to home is not a factor.

My understanding is Cal and Michigan are ahead of SU right now, Stanford in the mix as well. The kid wants to go to the best business school he can, I don't believe he is in it for the recruiting experience, to get his back rubbed, or to feel good about himself (al la Taurean Thompson). He's not ungetable for Cuse, but, if they want him, they would need to work the quality academic grad program angle while convincing him the team will be good enough to make another run like this year (I think SU making the list stems from the tourney run, if not for that it probably wouldn't be). I have no idea how interested the staff is or if they think he is good enough to devote a ton of time to convincing.

I like his game. I think he could contribute and he would have the added benefit of not occupying a scholarship for longer than one year. Plus the recruitment will only last two weeks or so, decision will be made in that time frame - give or take - seems to me like a waste not to try when you know recruitment wont drag on for years. This kid isn't demanding a starting spot or x number of minutes, though he of course wants to play meaningful minutes in meaningful games.

wish I had this kind of info on Quade or Diallo

CraigForth has the 411, I believe

Just posted on the recruiting side:

My understanding is Cal and Michigan are ahead of SU right now, Stanford in the mix as well. The kid wants to go to the best business school he can, I don't believe he is in it for the recruiting experience, to get his back rubbed, or to feel good about himself (al la Taurean Thompson). He's not ungetable for Cuse, but, if they want him, they would need to work the quality academic grad program angle while convincing him the team will be good enough to make another run like this year (I think SU making the list stems from the tourney run, if not for that it probably wouldn't be). I have no idea how interested the staff is or if they think he is good enough to devote a ton of time to convincing.

I like his game. I think he could contribute and he would have the added benefit of not occupying a scholarship for longer than one year. Plus the recruitment will only last two weeks or so, decision will be made in that time frame - give or take - seems to me like a waste not to try when you know recruitment wont drag on for years. This kid isn't demanding a starting spot or x number of minutes, though he of course wants to play meaningful minutes in meaningful games.

If the best MBA program is what he's after, Stanford wins with Michigan second IMO, SU doesn't compete here.

If we have to convince him why SU is better suited to make a run next year over the likes of Cal, then we may have to question that Ivy degree he's about to get lol.

Much thanks for the info btw.

He's from Burrlington, Ontario (right near Hamilton). That's upstate NY territory, for sure. If he cares about having his family see him play (in addition to playing for a team that could have another long NCAA run), SU would seem to fit. UM is up North too, but much further away.

CraigForth said:
Proximity to home is not a factor. My understanding is Cal and Michigan are ahead of SU right now, Stanford in the mix as well. The kid wants to go to the best business school he can, I don't believe he is in it for the recruiting experience, to get his back rubbed, or to feel good about himself (al la Taurean Thompson). He's not ungetable for Cuse, but, if they want him, they would need to work the quality academic grad program angle while convincing him the team will be good enough to make another run like this year (I think SU making the list stems from the tourney run, if not for that it probably wouldn't be). I have no idea how interested the staff is or if they think he is good enough to devote a ton of time to convincing. I like his game. I think he could contribute and he would have the added benefit of not occupying a scholarship for longer than one year. Plus the recruitment will only last two weeks or so, decision will be made in that time frame - give or take - seems to me like a waste not to try when you know recruitment wont drag on for years. This kid isn't demanding a starting spot or x number of minutes, though he of course wants to play meaningful minutes in meaningful games. wish I had this kind of info on Quade or Diallo

Staff is interested and has been for a while. I have reason to believe Mullins was interested in us prior to FF run.

But I have no idea where stand in pecking order with Mullins compared to Mich. Stanford etc...

My understanding is Cal and Michigan are ahead of SU right now, Stanford in the mix as well.
The kid wants to go to the best business school he can, I don't believe he is in it for the recruiting experience, to get his back rubbed, or to feel good about himself (al la Taurean Thompson). He's not ungetable for Cuse, but, if they want him, they would need to work the quality academic grad program angle while convincing him the team will be good enough to make another run like this year (I think SU making the list stems from the tourney run, if not for that it probably wouldn't be). I have no idea how interested the staff is or if they think he is good enough to devote a ton of time to convincing.

Thanks Chancy Nancy for completely devaluing my Whitman Finance degree. :mad:
We're #85 in Business Grad programs, according to USNews. Ugh.

He's from Burrlington, Ontario (right near Hamilton). That's upstate NY territory, for sure. If he cares about having his family see him play (in addition to playing for a team that could have another long NCAA run), SU would seem to fit. UM is up North too, but much further away.
About halfway (Burlington) in between Ann Arbor and Syracuse. Much easier to cross the border coming to Syracuse.

About halfway (Burlington) in between Ann Arbor and Syracuse. Much easier to cross the border coming to Syracuse.
He may not consider distance a factor .. but I have a feeling his family might. ;)

I think the Grad program is what is most important. He wants to go to a top flight business school. SU is being considered because it has a lot of things going for it. Close to home, a great program, chance to contend next year etc. SU has a chance, perhaps I haven't communicated that very well. My personal opinion is that he ends up at one of those other schools. To Francis' point I don't think anyone needs point out to him that SU is in a better position to make a run than Stanford or Cal, I think that's precisely why SU is on his list. I think playing at Syracuse is intriguing to him.

Ann Arbor is only 39 miles further away though.
tumblr_njh3raN9CU1r1ivm2o1_400.gif

Ok, maybe an hour more driving. Probably not a factor then, from what CF is saying.
I will say the drive from Burlington,ON to Syracuse would be a lot better for the family. A little shorter, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes wine country and the scenic Montezuma wildlife refuge along the way!

I will say the drive from Burlington,ON to Syracuse would be a lot better for the family. A little shorter, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes wine country and the scenic Montezuma wildlife refuge along the way!
They can pick me up along the way.

If the best MBA program is what he's after, Stanford wins with Michigan second IMO, SU doesn't compete here.
Too bad he doesn't want a masters in a program Newhouse or Maxwell offers. Oh well. If not him we will get someone decent as a transfer student after the FF run.

Last edited: