Class of 2016 - Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California

That sums it up. Similar to what CraigForth expressed above--it is a pure academic ranking versus the ranking + basketball decision that is what it will ultimately come down to for Mullins. He gets the best of both worlds here [and could actually play a pretty important on-court role, depending on what happens with Malachi], but would have a higher rated academic experience at either Michigan or Cal. All comes down to which final year experience he prefers.

Well, in most employment situations that I have experienced (none related to an academic setting, the only thing that mattered was did you have a Masters or not, virtually never from which school). That doesn't necessarily answer the question about the most desirable on campus experience. I would add that distance may or may not be a factor. I don't know and it doesn't sound like it is. But, if there is a desire for his family to see him play or maybe a strong personal relationship from his time at Columbia, SU has an additional advantage.

Well, in most employment situations that I have experienced (none related to an academic setting, the only thing that mattered was did you have a Masters or not, virtually never from which school). That doesn't necessarily answer the question about the most desirable on campus experience. I would add that distance may or may not be a factor. I don't know and it doesn't sound like it is. But, if there is a desire for his family to see him play or maybe a strong personal relationship from his time at Columbia, SU has an additional advantage.

Interesting point, and I don't disagree. But it is important to keep in mind that Mullins is an Ivy Leaguer, and that it might be more important to him than most to continue furthering his education at the graduate level at an elite academic institution. Cal-Berkley and U of M are on par with him attending Columbia, and would fulfill that elite academic credential if that's what he's focused upon.

Syracuse would be a notch down the ladder from that, but still a quality master's degree credential.

Which is why it comes down to the experience, IMO. If this is purely academic, then it is tough to fault a kid for picking either of the two other schools. Doing so would really set him up for life, in terms of academic credentials and how those might translate to professional endeavors. If he wants to shoot the moon from a basketball standpoint and still pick up a quality degree that is just a cut below being elite, then SU has a puncher's chance.

I wonder if the coaching staff had any discussions with Mullins about Newhouse, which would clearly put SU on equal academic / prestige footing with Cal / U of M in terms of being elite.

I would hope we have someone else in mind besides Mullins and Spike if they both fall through

Just having trouble grasping why we can't line up a quality guard to fill a roster spot.

Probably because they are waiting to see what Mal does.

I don't think the academic thing is as big as you may think. Why? Because he visited Syracuse. He can easily look up the rankings of business schools and make his choice, no visit needed. So he clearly is evaluating several other factors at least on par with the academics and in those factors we shine way above Cal and are at least equivalent to Michigan. So unless the Syracuse business school faculty were laying around swilling moonshine and watching reruns of "Ow my balls" when he visited, I would guess we have better odds than you think.

I don't think the academic thing is as big as you may think. Why? Because he visited Syracuse. He can easily look up the rankings of business schools and make his choice, no visit needed. So he clearly is evaluating several other factors at least on par with the academics and in those factors we shine way above Cal and are at least equivalent to Michigan. So unless the Syracuse business school faculty were laying around swilling moonshine and watching reruns of "Ow my balls" when he visited, I would guess we have better odds than you think.
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Subob1 said:

Distance not a factor

I read an article about Albrecht that said he has trouble sleeping at night and sitting in class because of his hips...
Yah, no offense to the young man. He absolutely went off on SU when we played UM .. 23ft, 24ft ... 25ft .. whatever. It was going in. No doubt he has some serious ba**s for a chess club champion. He's what, 5'9, 5'10"?. And you have to give him props ... he tweeted Kate Upton after a win. That was probably his most athletic move ever.

But, I mean, having SPike defending the top of the zone wearing a double hip-brace. Having trouble visualizing that.

Briancuse said:
Probably because they are waiting to see what Mal does.

The best players will have decided by the time Mali reaches a decision.

The best players will have decided by the time Mali reaches a decision.

They could be, could also want to come to Syracuse, but not want to sit behind Mal.

Hey, ow my balls is quality family entertainment.

Interesting point, and I don't disagree. But it is important to keep in mind that Mullins is an Ivy Leaguer, and that it might be more important to him than most to continue furthering his education at the graduate level at an elite academic institution. Cal-Berkley and U of M are on par with him attending Columbia, and would fulfill that elite academic credential if that's what he's focused upon.

Syracuse would be a notch down the ladder from that, but still a quality master's degree credential.

Which is why it comes down to the experience, IMO. If this is purely academic, then it is tough to fault a kid for picking either of the two other schools. Doing so would really set him up for life, in terms of academic credentials and how those might translate to professional endeavors. If he wants to shoot the moon from a basketball standpoint and still pick up a quality degree that is just a cut below being elite, then SU has a puncher's chance.

I wonder if the coaching staff had any discussions with Mullins about Newhouse, which would clearly put SU on equal academic / prestige footing with Cal / U of M in terms of being elite.
Or Maxwell

Really hope this goes our way. We need the guard depth, a D thus kid can play. He'd be a really nice addition.
Depending on how things shake out it's not a stretch to think he could become a starter.

Depending on how things shake out it's not a stretch to think he could become a starter.

I'd guess we'd see DC, Tyler 1, Tyler 2, Battle and Frank, though JB might prefer the shooting threat and added experience Mullins could provide over Frank.

If Mali returns, I doubt Mullins starts. If he does, then Lydon is super sub again.

For you old timers, does he remind you a bit of Jimmy Lee? Really deep range, out to 23-24 feet on a lot of those 3's. Not so fleet of foot, but pretty crafty with the ball. He'll have a heck of a time finishing at the rim against ACC teams, but he makes some pretty decent interior passes in that clip. He's the kind of kid you usually see coming off the bench against us for Notre Dame. I'd take him as our fourth guard.