Class of 2016 - Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Grant Mullins (Grad Transfer) to California

I think the Grad program is what is most important. He wants to go to a top flight business school. SU is being considered because it has a lot of things going for it. Close to home, a great program, chance to contend next year etc. SU has a chance, perhaps I haven't communicated that very well. My personal opinion is that he ends up at one of those other schools. To Francis' point I don't think anyone needs point out to him that SU is in a better position to make a run than Stanford or Cal, I think that's precisely why SU is on his list. I think playing at Syracuse is intriguing to him.

Last I checked (just seconds ago), Columbia Business School was top 10 nationally. How does he get to transfer to another school for business? I thought the rule required transfers to programs not offered by the current school? I assume Columbia offers pretty much everything.

Last I checked (just seconds ago), Columbia Business School was top 10 nationally. How does he get to transfer to another school for business? I thought the rule required transfers to programs not offered by the current school? I assume Columbia offers pretty much everything.
He can't play at Columbia this year. The Ivy league has a ridiculous rule that you have 4 years to play 4. No 5th year.

He can't play at Columbia this year. The Ivy league has a ridiculous rule that you have 4 years to play 4. No 5th year.
thats not actually the rule.. you can play the 5th year but you cant be graduated. some kids withdraw from school so they can play the 5th year.

thats not actually the rule.. you can play the 5th year but you cant be graduated. some kids withdraw from school so they can play the 5th year.
Still ridiculous.

upperdeck said:

That's right. A few years ago two guys on the hockey team graduated in three years and had to leave school without having used their 4th year. That is just as silly.

for a place that is supposed to be about education they actually discourage smart kids from coming because they cant graduate early and still play or get double majors in some cases. add in fball cant play 1 more week and go to playoffs, hockey has to start late and play less games

for a place that is supposed to be about education they actually discourage smart kids from coming because they cant graduate early and still play or get double majors in some cases. add in fball cant play 1 more week and go to playoffs, hockey has to start late and play less games

Their basis for doing this is so that they do not "water down" their grad school numbers with a bunch (i.e. 10 max per year) of kids who may not meet the ridiculously high minimum standards for their grad school programs.

So his first visit is to Cuse? Any chance it gets wrapped up before he goes to Cal Monday?

Glad we're getting a visit. Feeling that Mullins is a very important recruit. Need to land this kid. Singlehandedly, he would address three key areas of need:
  • Point guard depth
  • Backcourt depth
  • Three point shooting

Glad we're getting a visit. Feeling that Mullins is a very important recruit. Need to land this kid. Singlehandedly, he would address three key areas of need:
  • Point guard depth
  • Backcourt depth
  • Three point shooting
Not necessarily him, but definitely a player with similar skills. We need another shooter and another ball handler. If it's him, great, if not, it better be someone else!

I'm cautiously optimistic!

Next year could be a really special team and if there is one fan base that deserves it...

These guys...

Capture.JPG

Thanks Chancy Nancy for completely devaluing my Whitman Finance degree. :mad:
We're #85 in Business Grad programs, according to USNews. Ugh.

They score higher for entrepreneurship programs.

Here goes some new info that I have on this. So JB felt the visit went really well and that we made a very good representation in terms of selling the academics and bball benefits towards him. Obviously Cal looks tough here, but the staff feels much better about this race than they did probably before.

Isn't the rule if you transfer as a 5th year guy the graduate program at your new school can't be be at your old school?

So whatever graduate program Mullins wants to major in must not be at Columbia. So hopefully its a major we have a good program in.

Isn't the rule if you transfer as a 5th year guy the graduate program at your new school can't be be at your old school?

So whatever graduate program Mullins wants to major in must not be at Columbia. So hopefully its a major we have a good program in.

Graduate Exception
The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Francis03 said:
Here goes some new info that I have on this. So JB felt the visit went really well and that we made a very good representation in terms of selling the academics and bball benefits towards him. Obviously Cal looks tough here, but the staff feels much better about this race than they did probably before.

Hearing the same. FWIW, JB is handling this one himself.