Grant of Rights | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Grant of Rights

I actually mentioned WVU as the ACC 16 in another thread. I think Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas are the 4 most valuable pieces in the Big XII and I think they will get chopped up by the B1G/SEC. I don't think the Pac-12 is going to touch the Big XII because Texas won't have to take care of Texas Tech anymore in this world of survival and TCU/Baylor are private schools that won't have an Ann Richards politician type to influence Texas.

I don't know what WVU's attitude is right now, but they should go out of their way to be nice to the North Carolina Schools in the ACC if they were smart. Keep in mind that Cincinnati is courting the ACC hard. WVU doesn't need to right now, but they should build some bridges in case they do in the future. I don't know how much history they have playing UNC, NCState, Duke, WF in anything let alone football. I don't think it's been much at all.

They will have support from FSU and Clemson probably if they keep their football product strong. I don't think that they have burned their bridge with Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and VT too bad for them to exclude them like UConn did with BC. I think UVA will be somewhat indifferent other than the academics because we have such limited history playing WVU. But after letting Louisville in, they aren't much different in that category.

Geographically they fit perfectly.

I don't know what WVU's attitude is right now, but they should go out of their way to be nice to the North Carolina Schools in the ACC if they were smart. Keep in mind that Cincinnati is courting the ACC hard. WVU doesn't need to right now, but they should build some bridges in case they do in the future. I don't know how much history they have playing UNC, NCState, Duke, WF in anything let alone football. I don't think it's been much at all.

They will have support from FSU and Clemson probably if they keep their football product strong. I don't think that they have burned their bridge with Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and VT too bad for them to exclude them like UConn did with BC. I think UVA will be somewhat indifferent other than the academics because we have such limited history playing WVU. But after letting Louisville in, they aren't much different in that category.

Geographically they fit perfectly.
What is going to hurt WVU more than anything is their fanbase nutjobs that actually sadly had an impact on the ACC. Swofford admitted as much, and the Florida State president Barron actually responded to the "Dude". The WVU nutjobs were so butthurt by the ACC that they did everything they could to cause chaos and that won't be forgotten. If Louisville had been the Big XII 10th team its pretty obvious in hindsight now that Florida State and Clemson would cashed in the political capital and gotten WVU into the ACC over UConn like Louisville. I would say WVU would only get any support from Clemson and Florida State and MAYBE NC State. I would say Syracuse. BC, Pitt, ND, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, and definitely Virginia Tech would be no way for West Virginia, and I would bet UVA would go whichever way UNC goes and you guys are like minded institutions and tend to vote in blocs.

What is going to hurt WVU more than anything is their fanbase nutjobs that actually sadly had an impact on the ACC. Swofford admitted as much, and the Florida State president Barron actually responded to the "Dude". The WVU nutjobs were so butthurt by the ACC that they did everything they could to cause chaos and that won't be forgotten. If Louisville had been the Big XII 10th team its pretty obvious in hindsight now that Florida State and Clemson would cashed in the political capital and gotten WVU into the ACC over UConn like Louisville. I would say WVU would only get any support from Clemson and Florida State and MAYBE NC State. I would say Syracuse. BC, Pitt, ND, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, and definitely Virginia Tech would be no way for West Virginia, and I would bet UVA would go whichever way UNC goes and you guys are like minded institutions and tend to vote in blocs.

They definitely have some repair work ahead of them if the ever want into the ACC, and I'd submit even to the AAC. If that many schools that actually know them well will be against them, they have no chance.

ha ha ha i love this below his first rant

"So while we pine for home-and-homes in the olden days, we instead were going to be playing 13-7 football games in September in front of 12,000 people in the Carrier Dome"

now you dumbazz will be playing a 13-7 game in September in front of 12,000 people in Indiana. Good luck with all that. :rolling:

Probably doesn't realize that SU had a higher average attendance than Maryland last year.

Then why isn't anyone throwing the responsibility on BC? IF the entire conference is dependent on FSU and only FSU to be challenging for national titles in football, and it's ok for everyone else to screw around and suck, (and FSU is also the third best basketball program in the conference for the past eight years), can you now understand why FSU fans don't love splitting money evenly? When apparently it is all on FSU's shoulders?

FSU returning to the top is part of it. And we're getting there, we've won 31 games in the last three years, and we know that's still not good enough. But it's about EVERYONE living up to their potential in the ACC, something which nobody but Virginia Tech and Wake Forest can even begin to claim to have done.

I have no problem with FSU accepting nothing less than 12-0 every year. It's what we're going to do anyway. But that means North Carolina can't be satisfied 6-6 seasons, Clemson can't accept 8-4 seasons, Virginia can't accept 4-8 seasons, and Syracuse can't accept 3-9 seasons. Everyone can't continue as we have been, and just count on FSU to start another run of top 5 finishes and solve all ills. OR at least that can't be expected, and think FSU fans are going to be happy with it.

I have zero problems with FSU being held to a higher standard than other ACC teams, but the majority have held themselves to no standard, but taken their equal cut.

I am enthusiastic that this may be changing. I don't think Syracuse plans on 3 and 4 win seasons in the ACC. I think Clemson is in it to win it now, and I think Miami penalties will not be as bad as we feared. UNC's AD just talked about increasing revenue by like 40%. Well, he's not getting there without putting a competitive football team on the field, so it's good to see them thinking that way. Duke just committed a quarter BILLION to bringing it's football facilities into the 19th century. There are promising signs out of UVA.

I am NOT one who thinks the ACC is preordained to suck in football. This conference has the athletes and resources and exposure to be the 2nd or 3rd best football conference consistently, at worst. I think the ACC has more upside than most, but it simply have the philosophy of "Let FSU play Miami in the conference championship game, and the winner will hopefully play for the national title."

That's failed. No other conference, even the Big 12, has seen so little success from it's b-list.

Again, I am optimistic, but this "FSU will win and solve everything" is a recipe for disaster. Nobody can win every year. We need improvement accross the board. I think after this reallignment mess, everyone realizes it. I think they see we will eventually get left way behind if we don't play some football.

Because BC doesn't parade around pretending the whole ACC is dependent on them. Repeatedly, FSU and Clemson fans act as if they are the only football teams, with a polite hat tip to Miami and wink at VATech. Simply put, if FSU wants to be the standard bearer, ala Texas, Oklahoma, tOSU, Michigan, USC, Alabama, LSU, the FSU had better win like them. Something FSU has failed to do in over a decade. VATech tried to "carry the torch" but Beamer has failed to win the big games, as is his history. The ACC gets no respect for placing a team in the BCS, only winning games.

The conference is dependent on ALL schools doing their part. Each school has to step it up. The ACC is still underpaid, but the contract will end in the future (aside from the two look ins). That translates into a definite period in which all ACC teams need to improve their overall football (read: OOC quality and wins).

I would submit that Virginia Tech has played that role in the ACC and gone to 5 BCS games in the 2000s. But the problem is that they have only won 1, and it was against Cincinnati. They lost to Auburn, Kansas, Stanford, and Michigan. If Virginia Tech had been able to win these games when they were winning the ACC, the perception wouldn't be as bad. Then we had Georgia Tech go and lose to Iowa and Wake Forest go and lose to Louisville. FSU went and lost to Penn State. Every one of these games was close except for Stanford-VT, but the ACC team did lose them all. That's been the issue.

Virginia Tech has done all they can be expected to do, for sure. They've held up their part much better than FSU, Miami, UNC or anyone else. NOBODY can point the finger at those guys, they've been about as good and consistent as Virginia Tech is possibly supposed to be. They've carried this league.

Wake Forest has also done everything they can reasonably be expected to do. Everyone else? Nah. And I have no problem putting FSU at the top of that list.

Because BC doesn't parade around pretending the whole ACC is dependent on them. Repeatedly, FSU and Clemson fans act as if they are the only football teams, with a polite hat tip to Miami and wink at VATech. Simply put, if FSU wants to be the standard bearer, ala Texas, Oklahoma, tOSU, Michigan, USC, Alabama, LSU, the FSU had better win like them. Something FSU has failed to do in over a decade. VATech tried to "carry the torch" but Beamer has failed to win the big games, as is his history. The ACC gets no respect for placing a team in the BCS, only winning games.

The conference is dependent on ALL schools doing their part. Each school has to step it up. The ACC is still underpaid, but the contract will end in the future (aside from the two look ins). That translates into a definite period in which all ACC teams need to improve their overall football (read: OOC quality and wins).

I don't have a problem with saying FSU has to perform for the ACC to reach it's potential. I have a problem with people saying ALL the conference has to do is have FSU reach it's potential. Or FSU and Miami.

That attitude is simply not going to work. You said it best, the conference is dependent on ALL schools doing their part.

I don't have a problem with saying FSU has to perform for the ACC to reach it's potential. I have a problem with people saying ALL the conference has to do is have FSU reach it's potential. Or FSU and Miami.

That attitude is simply not going to work. You said it best, the conference is dependent on ALL schools doing their part.

I believe what most fans take issue with FSU and Clemson fans is that they, in general, keep downplaying everyone else while their own schools essentially suck (in terms of NC viability). You can't have it both ways, screaming, "we're the elites, bow to our greatness" and complain that nobody is pulling their own weight simply because your own school is failing. Overall, the ACC has not been bad, it's just that nobody has been elite.

Many people forget that Syracuse carried the Big East when Miami flopped (violations - sound familiar?), VATech was still learning how to play, WVU was nobody, and Pitt was down. VATech just did the same for the ACC. Clemson carried the ACC pre-FSU, then FSU carried the ACC for a dozen or so years. Miami has been worthless. BC had a couple good years. It's cyclical. The good thing is that the ACC is on the verge of being the deepest of conferences, especially as more and more football critics see that the SEC is not as strong top to bottom as they pretend.

Job number one for Syracuse is take down Penn State Labor Day weekend. Every Power 5 OOC (and ND) game matters. The five year look in will be here before we know it.

Yes, we (FSU included) need to start winning these early year OOC games. Losing the SEC matchups at the end of the year hurts badly as well, but the ACC being more or less wiped out of the top 25 by the third week makes it impossible to catch up.

Look at the Big 12 last year. They did almost nothing OOC (KSU did drum Miami) but the entire conference made themselves look good by whipping up on WVU. Never mind that WVU turned out to be lousy. They started highly ranked and were there when conference play started. After last year's bad Big 12 bowl season, they aren't likely to have highly ranked teams, and they're going to see themselves take a hit to their perception. In my opinion.

Too many years the ACC starts the bulk of conference play with everyone having been knocked out of the rankings, so no matter what anybody does in the conference schedule, there's nowhere to climb.

I think there's a case to be made that the ACC needs to lighten up or at least be a little more strategic in their OOC scheduling so they can get into conference play in one piece.

We're talking about the media value of the conference, not the on-field performance. The two are related, but not the same.

Wake Forrest could win 12 games for a couple seasons and win a national title and they still wouldn't be a big contributor to the media value of the ACC. Sure, Kansas State and Oklahoma State have had some great seasons for the Big 12, but they barely drive a dime of that conference's media value.

Like I said, the value comes from big fanbase, national programs winning at a high level. The ACC has two of those, historically, that went into the doldrums at the worst possible time. Again, I'm only talking about why FSU fans complaining about not making SEC money is a little silly. Your own program is the biggest driver to close that gap.

WV is the turd that apparently won't flush down the toilet and go away.

A Clemson POV
This past weekend Syracuse had 3,000 fans for their spring game. How big of a priority is college football in the state of New York?
http://www.tigernet.com/view/blog/plyler.do?id=11651

Well, the truth is that baseball is the priority in New York State after the NCAA hoops champ is crowned. No one up here thinks "Football" when April showers blow in and the jonquils start blooming like they do in the deep South. Fall is the time for football. It's just the culture in NYS. Football is a great sport but it is not a religion or the distinguishing part of our cultural identity.

A Clemson POV
This past weekend Syracuse had 3,000 fans for their spring game. How big of a priority is college football in the state of New York?
http://www.tigernet.com/view/blog/plyler.do?id=11651
Dear Klempson fan,

We've never had much more than 5,000 fans at our spring game. That includes the spring games before and after we beat you 41-0 in the gator bowl.

Signed,
Orange nation,

PS. We'll probably have 3,000 fans in your arena for our first ACC hoops game at your place.

Holy crap - I knew Duke sucked, but to need $250M just to bring the facilities into the 19th Century? yowzers

1. Some of that money is to endow coaches salaries.
2. The IPF is up and running
3. Wallace Wade will be Cameronized; 8000 seats built where the track around the field is now:

ww_2_zps9a9352bb.jpg

What has Clemson ever done? They sure seem to run there f-ing mouth a lot for not really accomplishing a ton on the field in recent years or at all ????

Since the 98-99 season both Clemson and Syracuse have played in 1 Orange Bowl a piece. Not making it in any other major bowl both lost. We lost to Florida they lost to WVU.

All Time Stats

Record:
Syracuse 698-497-49 (.581) Clemson 668-450-45 (.594)

National Titles:
Syracuse 1 Clemson 1

Heisman Winners
Syracuse 1 Clemson 0

All-Americans
Syracuse 42 Clemson 20

All pretty close to even plus that we are an ELITE ELITE Basketball school...

So again WHO THE F*** CARES what Clemson has to say. When did they become the end all be all of college football. And some national powerhouse that commands respect. F CLEMSON

I think I would prefer to have both Lville and Maryland. Arb - is Maryland a done deal for the B1G or is that still a potential loose end (Arb - take that as a new code word if you cant outright say it)?
okay, one post...and then I am going to hide on this one...Maryland has not officially withdrawn from the ACC...has until July 1 to do so...this information is actually a part of a Maryland lawsuit indicating the ACC has no rights to hold money due to Maryland for TV contract etc because Maryland hasn't withdrawn as yet...and final payments are usually calculated in June.
Now this is not to say that Maryland stays in the ACC...in fact, my preference is that Maryland slinks off into the rust belt; on the other hand if ESPN feels that Maryland is important and would add another $500,000 to ACC conferences schools, I would have to think about it...and to keep Maryland/DC without looking for a replacement...have fun discussing this point...

okay, one post...and then I am going to hide on this one...Maryland has not officially withdrawn from the ACC...has until July 1 to do so...this information is actually a part of a Maryland lawsuit indicating the ACC has no rights to hold money due to Maryland for TV contract etc because Maryland hasn't withdrawn as yet...and final payments are usually calculated in June.
Now this is not to say that Maryland stays in the ACC...in fact, my preference is that Maryland slinks off into the rust belt; on the other hand if ESPN feels that Maryland is important and would add another $500,000 to ACC conferences schools, I would have to think about it...and to keep Maryland/DC without looking for a replacement...have fun discussing this point...
Are we to read between the lines here? Are you implying that there's a smidgen of a chance that Maryland doesn't join the B1G? Because that seems far fetched to me. Anything is possible I guess. This seems highly unlikely though.

Are we to read between the lines here? Are you implying that there's a smidgen of a chance that Maryland doesn't join the B1G? Because that seems far fetched to me. Anything is possible I guess. This seems highly unlikely though.

Whatever -- they still have to pay the 50 mil; then we can think about letting them have Navy's spot. :)

Dear Klempson fan,

We've never had much more than 5,000 fans at our spring game. That includes the spring games before and after we beat you 41-0 in the gator bowl.

Signed,
Orange nation,

PS. We'll probably have 3,000 fans in your arena for our first ACC hoops game at your place.

Fans are so dopey.

This particular dope was pining for Clemson to play in the Big 12, which historically is Texas, Oklahoma and a lot of "other". This of course is so infinitely better than playing Florida State, Miami... and a lot of "other".

It's just such a terrible burden to be playing schools that don't care about football like Syracuse, Pitt and BC, when Clemson could be playing on the hallowed football grounds of Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas.

Grass is always greener, and this guy is an idiot.

1. Some of that money is to endow coaches salaries.
2. The IPF is up and running
3. Wallace Wade will be Cameronized; 8000 seats built where the track around the field is now:

ww_2_zps9a9352bb.jpg

Awesome. Good moves.

Maybe it's because I live in Austin and most people here still don't have the Longhorn Network, but there is a big gulf between having a local school on a cable network and getting the cable company to charge all local cable customers for it.

And, absurdly, I get all the endless replays of Texas football games right here in Raleigh on UVerse, right below the ESPN family of networks.