Grant of Rights | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Grant of Rights

This Maryland Blogger and Fan sure doesn't like today's news. The Maryland fan base are some of the most unhappy fans going to one of the major conferences. http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2013/04/22/new-acc-deal-leads-to-terp-questions/

ha ha ha i love this below his first rant

"So while we pine for home-and-homes in the olden days, we instead were going to be playing 13-7 football games in September in front of 12,000 people in the Carrier Dome"

now you dumbazz will be playing a 13-7 game in September in front of 12,000 people in Indiana. Good luck with all that. :rolling:

Just a clarification on the GOR effective date. The agreement is signed today, obviously Syracuse, Pitt, ND and Louisville CANNOT sign away rights that already belong to another conference, so it works this way. Effective today, all (Name ACC school here)'s rights for the period beginning July 1, 2013 and ending June 30, 202X (I forgot the exact year we end) are granted to the ACC, blah blah blah (That's a technical term for legal mumbo jumbo). Louisville's wills Grant of Rights is for the period of July 1, 2014 through 202X, though it is effective today.

Also, ND's football rights remain their own, NOT a part of the GOR. Everything else is included, just not football.

The funniest thing is, The Dude was quoted as saying (just a day or so ago) that the ACC loses 4-6 teams at the minimum. Whoops! The WVU fans on their board are turning against him. It's beautiful.

I wonder if the Big12 try and add BYU and Cinci to get to 12 teams for a championship game or if their request for a championship game with 10 teams gets approved.
Didn't the B1G try to get this done for like 20 years and they told them no every year?

Didn't the B1G try to get this done for like 20 years and they told them no every year?

The ACC did the same when Miami joined without SU and BC. When that request was rejected, the ACC went with BC and VATech.

First off, great day. I have spent way too much time looking over my shoulder for another conference raid. Even though I've always felt Cuse would be ok (we were wanted in '03 and then again in '11), I didn't want to see the mega conference scenario play out. The fact is that the ACC is perfect for us, good football - and getting better, great basketball and lax, plus similar schools.

Reading Arb's posts over the last few months has brought be to the conclusion that the Big 10 network was more of an exception than a rule. The days of "securing" a media market and locking in cable rights fees seems to be coming to an end. We're looking at much more targeted content via online or cable/satellite add on's. I for one will be happy to pay a la carte to stream an ACC Network. Until then, the B1G can enjoy Maryland and Rutgers.

Go Orange

It is not always a given that I can flat out say what I have been told...however, from another good source the collaborates my usual source, it appears that there was significant negotiation among ACC universities to agree to the GOR...part of this negotiation may result in changes to the present Atlantic and Coastal Divisions structure...so some teams can play others every year....more details to follow.

This is interesting. My guess here is moving Georgia Tech to the Atlantic in exchange for either Syracuse or Boston College. It would be a step toward North-South leaving Miami in the North. Florida State has been openly wanting this for a while now. Georgia Tech hasn't really expressed too much of an opinion because they like playing the teams in the Coastal. But this is my guess for what it's worth.

I also think Miami wants to play Syracuse and/or BC more often.

Great news. Shame we had to lose Maryland, though. Was really looking forward to playing them.

I'm not so sure this ends expansion. I do think UConn's value just went up. Could be the new thing will be the B10 paying for the GoR lost money. I think this means the only big conference expansion candidate worth pursuing is Texas. UNC is in a great position now and has no reason to leave. ND is quite happy with their current situation, I'm sure.

FSU isn't worth (approx) 300mil. Iffy academics. Really far away for the B10. State overlap for SEC. But Texas? They are probably worth paying off their GoR.

Right here...:) and a ;) and a:rolling:

I have been trying to take you all down a path that I was not allowed to discuss...if you go back to several earlier posts I believe I have led you to this point...remember the ACC Network and leading a horse to water...and saying remain calm everyone it will be okay...WELL its better than okay...
Here is a great article if you have not read!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...r/22116192/acc-approving-grant-of-rights-deal

Now what does it mean...most likely the ACC network is going to be unveiled soon. What is important is the timing of all this...until 2025 most of everything in college sports realignment is going to be shut down...and oh by the way, the Notre Dame contract also ends along with the new BCS contracts about the same time...as for Maryland, stand-by...it is going to be okay...not sure the $50,000,000 gets hit but the dollars for the conference are just going up and up. Its good to be 'Cuse! More to discuss really, really soon...'ITS A 'CUSE HUG!

On a side note that isn't the priority of this announcement, but could be additional ACC Network content, are you hearing anything from your sources about whether the ACC has a shot at Johns Hopkins Lacrosse or is even interested in taking on an associate member like that?

The ACC did the same when Miami joined without SU and BC. When that request was rejected, the ACC went with BC and VATech.

Almost correct. Miami and VT were accepted to the conference on the same day after NC State, surprisingly voted against BC, leaving a clusterf*#( of 11 teams.

The NCAA said "no" to a CCG with 11 and BC was added a few months later, but joined a season after VT and Miami.

Since it looks like they're going to redesign divisions any guesses?

Who was upset about the current alignment and how would they be revemped to appease them?

Who was upset about the current alignment and how would they be revemped to appease them?

PLEASE...Let SU and FSU stay in the same division!!!

Almost correct. Miami and VT were accepted to the conference on the same day after NC State, surprisingly voted against BC, leaving a clusterf*#( of 11 teams.

The NCAA said "no" to a CCG with 11 and BC was added a few months later, but joined a season after VT and Miami.

As you say, almost correct. I was referring to the order of acceptance, not join dates.

On a side note that isn't the priority of this announcement, but could be additional ACC Network content, are you hearing anything from your sources about whether the ACC has a shot at Johns Hopkins Lacrosse or is even interested in taking on an associate member like that?
Serious question - but why in the world would the ACC, which adds Syracuse and Notre Dame lacrosse to UNC, UVA and Duke want to add a D3 school as any kind of member? does that actually make sense to you?

Johns Hopkins lacrosse is on its way to becoming one of those interesting footnotes about how a small school was once at the top of a sport before the sport went big time and the real D1 schools came in and took over.

Bye bye Hopkins. Say hi to Hobart for us.

Is it me or are Florida State fans truly delusional (as a group)? It seems like they are pretty skewed when it comes to a. their value as perceived by potential suitor conferences; b. The extent to which a few million dollars differentiates in terms of ability of a football program to have high level success (eg comparing the new theoretical ACC contract to the big 12 contract unfavorably). Are they really as crucial as they think they are - or is it just the product of having a few down years for the ACC with virginia tech and Miami not pulling their own weight? Not that it matters now...but their reaction to this is on the annoying side.

I can kind of understand that reaction, coming from any ACC fans who have seen FSU destabilizing their conference for the past 18 months. I totally get it.

a) FSU fans with any brains understand the lay of the land, that there are non-athletic reasons why they can't get a home in the premier paid conferences. Too far for the PAC, not meeting the academics of the B1G, duplicating a market in the SEC. That said, we've watched the following train wrecks of programs punch their ticket to eternal security and endless rivers of cash: Missouri, Maryland, Rutgers, Colorado, Utah. There isn't a single one of those that is clearly more deserving than Syracuse, how do you think FSU fans feel when they see that? A top 15 football brand, third best basketball team in the ACC, top 10 Directors cup, 80k stadium, big TV draw, two national championships, two Heisman winners, and massive state population. Clearly you can see the frustration at being stuck as by far the lowest TV payout (at the time) and a conference that seemed to clearly oppose FSU at every opportunity (at the time).

That said, I can also understand a school like Syracuse saying "cry me a river" about making $13M or $17M a year compared to where you've been. That's fair, but relative to who we are going up against among our regional peers and rivals, and what our fan base's expectations are, the feeling isn't much different than what you felt.

In other words, rational fans understand why we don't bring "value" like Rutgers or Maryland, but they're pretty pissed about it. But until recently, they also didn't feel like the ACC looked at FSU and other football schools with any value (I believe this has changed).

b) As for the difference in millions, there is some truth to this. But money seriously matters at FSU. We are a very young program, and extremely geographically isolated from our fans. We don't have the financial resources of our ACC peers, let alone those of the schools we really compete against for coaches, athletes and attention, like UF, Alabama, UGA. And yet, FSU's legitimate goal is the national championship every year. We walk a very difficult tightrope of the highest expectations, combined with less resources than those we compete with. We've always done it, but it isn't getting any easier. Money is a very big deal to FSU, unless we're prepared to be a "just good" team.

That said, you are very correct that some FSU folks over-estimate the media rights revenue aspect. There is a lot more to revenue than TV rights, and FSU could sign a Notre Dame-type deal and they still wouldn't come close to Florida's revenue. So a lot of FSU people don't want to acknowledge that making $7-$8 Million more isn't a game changer on it's own.

But FSU fans were looking at a $13M media rights deal while schools like USC, Tennesee, UGA, UF etc were getting ready to pull $30M+, and that's simply not acceptable either.

c) I would dare say that FSU is pretty damn crucial considering how big a role football plays in conference revenue. It's just the way it is right now. FSU is one of very few schools in the ACC positioned to challenge for national titles regularly. To the idea of a competetive football conference that competes with the likes of the SEC, B1G, PAC, Big 12, FSU is definitely crucial. As is Miami, Clemson, VT and probably North Carolina.

However, if you want to ask how crucial is to the ACC as they stand today, maybe not so much. You could remove FSU and the ACC would still have been the giant ball of football suck that it has been the past 10 years. FSU hasn't done much to help the ACC until the last couple years. So you are right if you're looking at it that way.

So, crucial to the ACC maintaining their place as the fifth best football, and fifth best paid conference, maybe not. Crucial to the ACC being a legitimate football conference and someday maybe being paid with the big boys? I'd say yes.

Again, I don't blame fans of other schools for getting tired of hearing FSU folks rattling the cage. I was all for cage rattling, and I still am, I've been doing my share of it. But for the last couple months I've been afraid it could go to far, and we could see UNC/UVA/GT/Duke to the B1G, NCSU/VT to the SEC, and we'd end up in the Big 12 with Miami.

So while I'm not in love with the ACC, without an SEC invite coming, I'm glad we signed after getting major, major improvements, but before UNC or VT called our bluff.

And I've come way, way around about the addition of Syracuse, now that the money is there, and we don't have to play a 9th conference game. I hope you guys do well and an awesome football tradition is reignited there.

The big issue is FSU and GT being separated. GT is FSU's closest geographic conference mate, and arguably their best ACC rivalry before expansion. Playing GT twice in 12 years or whatever it will be is VERY disappointing to FSU and has been since expansion. My guess is that's FSU's major gripe. I really don't know if GT feels the same way though, about sharing a division with Clemson and FSU.

Also, GT > UMD in football, so there was some competetiveness questions.

With Louisville replacing Maryland, it would be a very smooth switch though, and I was a little surprised when it didn't happen when rumored a couple months ago.

But FSU griping about GT is the main issue in divisions right now, and the most likely sweetener to getting a GOR signed. Unless it's even bigger than that, and more schools want a true North/South allignment.

FSU should worry more about winning and less about the conference. If they didn't lose to NC State/Florida last year they would have been in the National Championship...

No kidding.

Over a recent 8 year span FSU's W/L record was only a game or two better than BC's.

Conferences are worth more when their premiere football programs are actually competing for titles.

No kidding.

Over a recent 8 year span FSU's W/L record was only a game or two better than BC's.

Conferences are worth more when their premiere football programs are actually competing for titles.

Then why isn't anyone throwing the responsibility on BC? IF the entire conference is dependent on FSU and only FSU to be challenging for national titles in football, and it's ok for everyone else to screw around and suck, (and FSU is also the third best basketball program in the conference for the past eight years), can you now understand why FSU fans don't love splitting money evenly? When apparently it is all on FSU's shoulders?

FSU returning to the top is part of it. And we're getting there, we've won 31 games in the last three years, and we know that's still not good enough. But it's about EVERYONE living up to their potential in the ACC, something which nobody but Virginia Tech and Wake Forest can even begin to claim to have done.

I have no problem with FSU accepting nothing less than 12-0 every year. It's what we're going to do anyway. But that means North Carolina can't be satisfied 6-6 seasons, Clemson can't accept 8-4 seasons, Virginia can't accept 4-8 seasons, and Syracuse can't accept 3-9 seasons. Everyone can't continue as we have been, and just count on FSU to start another run of top 5 finishes and solve all ills. OR at least that can't be expected, and think FSU fans are going to be happy with it.

I have zero problems with FSU being held to a higher standard than other ACC teams, but the majority have held themselves to no standard, but taken their equal cut.

I am enthusiastic that this may be changing. I don't think Syracuse plans on 3 and 4 win seasons in the ACC. I think Clemson is in it to win it now, and I think Miami penalties will not be as bad as we feared. UNC's AD just talked about increasing revenue by like 40%. Well, he's not getting there without putting a competitive football team on the field, so it's good to see them thinking that way. Duke just committed a quarter BILLION to bringing it's football facilities into the 19th century. There are promising signs out of UVA.

I am NOT one who thinks the ACC is preordained to suck in football. This conference has the athletes and resources and exposure to be the 2nd or 3rd best football conference consistently, at worst. I think the ACC has more upside than most, but it simply have the philosophy of "Let FSU play Miami in the conference championship game, and the winner will hopefully play for the national title."

That's failed. No other conference, even the Big 12, has seen so little success from it's b-list.

Again, I am optimistic, but this "FSU will win and solve everything" is a recipe for disaster. Nobody can win every year. We need improvement accross the board. I think after this reallignment mess, everyone realizes it. I think they see we will eventually get left way behind if we don't play some football.

I am enthusiastic that this may be changing. I don't think Syracuse plans on 3 and 4 win seasons in the ACC. I think Clemson is in it to win it now, and I think Miami penalties will not be as bad as we feared. UNC's AD just talked about increasing revenue by like 40%. Well, he's not getting there without putting a competitive football team on the field, so it's good to see them thinking that way.Duke just committed a quarter BILLION to bringing it's football facilities into the 19th century. There are promising signs out of UVA.
Holy crap - I knew Duke sucked, but to need $250M just to bring the facilities into the 19th Century? yowzers

Then why isn't anyone throwing the responsibility on BC? IF the entire conference is dependent on FSU and only FSU to be challenging for national titles in football, and it's ok for everyone else to screw around and suck, (and FSU is also the third best basketball program in the conference for the past eight years), can you now understand why FSU fans don't love splitting money evenly? When apparently it is all on FSU's shoulders?

FSU returning to the top is part of it. And we're getting there, we've won 31 games in the last three years, and we know that's still not good enough. But it's about EVERYONE living up to their potential in the ACC, something which nobody but Virginia Tech and Wake Forest can even begin to claim to have done.

I have no problem with FSU accepting nothing less than 12-0 every year. It's what we're going to do anyway. But that means North Carolina can't be satisfied 6-6 seasons, Clemson can't accept 8-4 seasons, Virginia can't accept 4-8 seasons, and Syracuse can't accept 3-9 seasons. Everyone can't continue as we have been, and just count on FSU to start another run of top 5 finishes and solve all ills. OR at least that can't be expected, and think FSU fans are going to be happy with it.

I have zero problems with FSU being held to a higher standard than other ACC teams, but the majority have held themselves to no standard, but taken their equal cut.

I am enthusiastic that this may be changing. I don't think Syracuse plans on 3 and 4 win seasons in the ACC. I think Clemson is in it to win it now, and I think Miami penalties will not be as bad as we feared. UNC's AD just talked about increasing revenue by like 40%. Well, he's not getting there without putting a competitive football team on the field, so it's good to see them thinking that way. Duke just committed a quarter BILLION to bringing it's football facilities into the 19th century. There are promising signs out of UVA.

I am NOT one who thinks the ACC is preordained to suck in football. This conference has the athletes and resources and exposure to be the 2nd or 3rd best football conference consistently, at worst. I think the ACC has more upside than most, but it simply have the philosophy of "Let FSU play Miami in the conference championship game, and the winner will hopefully play for the national title."

That's failed. No other conference, even the Big 12, has seen so little success from it's b-list.

Again, I am optimistic, but this "FSU will win and solve everything" is a recipe for disaster. Nobody can win every year. We need improvement accross the board. I think after this reallignment mess, everyone realizes it. I think they see we will eventually get left way behind if we don't play some football.
Not saying at all it was dependent on FSU. The ACC needs a banner school, be it FSU, Clemson, Miami, VT or the field. The issue is that when one of those teams is really good, they screw up and then no one looks good. Clemson's good for a stupid loss every year too.

My point was FSU fans wouldn't have to worry about the conference if they ran the table through a supposedly "weak (their words not mine)" conference every year.

The ACC has struggled recently in perception because Miami and Florida State dipped from top 5 status nationally to top 15ish for FSU and out of the top 25 for Miami. The ACC split Miami/FSU up in their divisional alignments because they thought you and them playing twice would be 2 top 10 battles each year. Now, I understand your sensitive to the blame being on FSU exclusively when its on North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia Tech for failing to create unbelly similar to that of Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Auburn, have done for Alabama, LSU, and Florida. The ACC has only had Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Clemson consistently good in the last 5 years. The angry directed at FSU is because they we are seen as the leaders of we are angry at Florida is making a crap ton of money in the SEC and so we want out of the ACC camp. Now that the ACC is secure and the conference is adding a good team for its unbelly in Louisville and Fedora is growing the North Carolina football team, Golden is doing the same at Miami and Jumbo has brought FSU back to top 10 status and Frank Beamer will keep Virginia Tech top 25. Calm down, and realize SU fans are seeing things from our Orange tinted lenses as you are with Garnet/Gold lenses.

Lou, I understand all of that. My point is just that it's frustrating to see so many FSU fans whine constantly about the ACC media deal, when it was your program's poor performance that contributed to it not being as great as it might have been.

Yes, the ACC has been a generally lousy football conference since the raid on the Big East in 2003, and all programs bear responsibility for that. But college football is about premium brands performing to their highest potential. That's what brings in the $$$. The Pac-12 leans on USC, the B1G leans on Michigan and Ohio State, the Big 12 leans on Texas and Oklahoma, and the ACC leans on FSU and Miami. That's just the deal.

With great power comes great responsibility. You can't be down for the better part of a decade and then complain that you're not making SEC money.

;)