Great game by our freshmen! | Syracusefan.com

Great game by our freshmen!

Love Girard's grit and hustle, but he plays absolutely no defense. He gave up just as many as he scored. If we're ever going to be good with him playing 40 minutes, he needs to get leaps and bounds better on that end.

not sure i would say that, he caused a bunch of TOs on D. about all he did was let bigger guys shoot over him.

He chucked up a deep 3, it didn't go in. He proceeded to jog back on defense and let a guy sprint past him. The guy ended up getting a pass and converting a layup.

He doesn't even know the defensive end exists half the time. Boeheim talks about Quincy not knowing where he's going, but Girard is much worse.

Last edited:
They were both atrocious. And quite frankly, no matter how much experience they gain, it's not going to get much better. 2 years isn't going to make Girard bigger or Boeheim have more foot speed.
I disagree with your premise. While they won't get faster or bigger, they will learn the zone and develop some tricks to help them. They will never be Jason hart. But they can get a lot better.

I disagree with your premise. While they won't get faster or bigger, they will learn the zone and develop some tricks to help them. They will never be Jason hart. But they can get a lot better.

Sure they can get better. But I don’t buy they’ll get to even average in our current defense. And the biggest issue is they play together. If each one of them played next to a Triche or MCW or someone that has some athletic aptitude out there, it’d be one thing. Together I’m not sure it’s ever going to be a tenable venture.

Sure they can get better. But I don’t buy they’ll get to even average in our current defense. And the biggest issue is they play together. If each one of them played next to a Triche or MCW or someone that has some athletic aptitude out there, it’d be one thing. Together I’m not sure it’s ever going to be a tenable venture.
We will see. I don't give up on freshman and soph's that easy.

Buddy’s been watching the zone his whole life. If he doesn’t know the tricks by now...

I agree, I also view JG3 as a 2G. He is at his best attacking as he was tonight.

Buddy’s been watching the zone his whole life. If he doesn’t know the tricks by now...

I think that's part of what helped him perform heroicly at the forward spot last game.

Love Girard's grit and hustle, but he plays absolutely no defense. He gave up just as many as he scored. If we're ever going to be good with him playing 40 minutes, he needs to get leaps and bounds better on that end.
The problem is having Buddy next to him. We could survive one poor defender but having both of them unable to cover ground or get out after a ball reversed just hurts so much. Buddy was so bad offensively to compound the issues.

He missed 6 tonight. Looks like he could use some more.

I've never seen an SU hoops player be so bad on defense get the minutes that buddy does. How about you?
You are an expert on basketball defense. Do tell. What is your great experience at being able to evaluate defense on the college level. Impress us

we have two guys taking half our shots all season. elijah and buddy. one don't play it's not hard to shut down the other.

You are an expert on basketball defense. Do tell. What is your great experience at being able to evaluate defense on the college level. Impress us
Sarcasm doesn’t suit you.

You don't know me
I’ve seen your posts for more years than I care to admit. I’ve got an inkling.

You’ve been watching Syracuse basketball for more years than I’ve known what a basketball is. Answer my original question.

I’ve seen your posts for more years than I care to admit. I’ve got an inkling.

You’ve been watching Syracuse basketball for more years than I’ve known what a basketball is. Answer my original question.
A board icon. Devo was absolutely dreadful on defense. He didn't even try. Did you notice how bad he was when he was playing? Most of our poorer defenders have been at the two. Going back to Marty Headd. We had a mickey Dees 2 guard named Michael brown. Amazing shooter. Another kid that didn't care about defense. Caleb Joseph couldn't guard anyone. That is quick off the top of my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom