Great interview with Mookie | Syracusefan.com

Great interview with Mookie

Indeed, that was great. It explains where Mookie is, how he thinks, and why he is still here. I noticed the other night at the Fordham game that he seemed happy. The kid is not sulking, he is enjoying his life. Good for him.

Indeed, that was great. It explains where Mookie is, how he thinks, and why he is still here. I noticed the other night at the Fordham game that he seemed happy. The kid is not sulking, he is enjoying his life. Good for him.

The part about him admitting that he wasn't going to be an NBA guy, and that he just wants to get his degree and be successful somewhere (whether it is overseas or w/e). As much as we poke fun, it seems like Mookie "gets it". He also really seems to value his SU education.

It must be really hard at first when you are a top notch recruit not getting minutes and the reality of not being a NBA player sets in. Then to top it all off a few years in at the program you are not even the 8th man. Very glad Mookie "gets it" and after reading this it's hard not to wish the best for him

I can't remember, does he have another year of eligibility after this?

I think so. I guess whether or not he is asked back depends upon the numbers game plus whether Mookie wants a year of grad school.

I didn't realize he was a center in HS. Makes sense, but I didn't realize it.

I hope he gets his moment of glory somewhere down the line. He deserves it. Seems like a genuinely good kid and it's been fun watching him grow up as a man over these last few years.

Great interview, thanks for sharing! I've always like Mookie, there's just something about him that makes you want to root for him.

Gotta say - I am very disappointed in Mookie. I for one have been a big supporter of his and I have made innumerable posts about his deserving some PT in prior seasons. The kid was blessed with a special skill in terms of his shooting. There is no reason he could not have worked hard ala Andy & gotten himself onto the court. However, in last night's game he appeared out of shape and there appears to have been little progression in his skillset. I can't help but feel, that if this kid had been a workout warrior that even if he wasn't an NBA guy that he could have at least been a rotation guy.

I wish Mookie the best, and I hope he ends up being happy that he stuck it out, but I have a feeling that somewhere down the road he will have regrets about not having given his all & seeing how good he just might have been.

I'm hoping Mookie can graduate on time in 2012 so that he can transfer to another college without sitting out a year and finish his eligibility at another school. I think he can be a very productive starting guard for a mid-major conference program. I wouldn't be shocked to see him average 20 ppg somewhere.

We'll probably never know (at least publicly), but I wonder what the coaching staff thought they were getting with him vs. what he turned out to be.

It may well be that he's been just fine in the eyes of the staff, but that the competition on the roster has just been really competitive, especially on this year's team. His best chance to play might have been 2 years ago, he did get some minutes in Big East play here and there as the 8th man, but while that team only played 7 guys, it was well-stocked in three point shooting and at the positions Mookie can play. I commend him for handling a humbling 4 years pretty well though.

We'll probably never know (at least publicly), but I wonder what the coaching staff thought they were getting with him vs. what he turned out to be.

It may well be that he's been just fine in the eyes of the staff, but that the competition on the roster has just been really competitive, especially on this year's team. His best chance to play might have been 2 years ago, he did get some minutes in Big East play here and there as the 8th man, but while that team only played 7 guys, it was well-stocked in three point shooting and at the positions Mookie can play. I commend him for handling a humbling 4 years pretty well though.

It's not just skill, there is a political dimension. For example, being local with a physical fan base helps your standing. Also, as the article confirms, Mookie is not an effective self promoter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom