Great officiating | Syracusefan.com

Great officiating

Flacusian

All Conference
It's hard to enjoy the game when it's impossible to know what the rules of the game are. What is it that constitutes a foul? Or a charge? There is no consistency whatsoever in college basketball when it comes to the officiating.

We got beat tonight. Separate issue.

When shooters are blatantly fouled beyond the shadow of any doubt and there is no call...what does that do to the game itself? In a society without any laws which is rampant with crime it's called anarchy.

In a game without enforced rules and physical contact which resembles assault... it's called college basketball.

Whoever that "official" is with the slick hair should loose his job over this game. To fail to recognize the foul on TC on the fast break -- the one with the other player draped on his arm and HOLDING HIS SHORTS -- is just absolute incompetence. He also missed an obvious hack against Oakafor all over X-Mas' arm. Rak had a LID on the basket tonight .. and the last thing we needed was a referee that shouldn't be working college games. HORRIBLE.

C'mon, there were bad calls both ways. Rak missing so many shots did us in, but you can't really blame him. He was up against the #1 pick in the draft and was double teamed a lot.

Tonight's officials are the reason they should have a "bat day" at the Carrier Dome.

Hey refs...Have a nice walk to your car after the game!

C'mon, there were bad calls both ways. Rak missing so many shots did us in, but you can't really blame him. He was up against the #1 pick in the draft and was double teamed a lot.

I think everyone would concede that. It was horrific. Both ways. That doesn't make it good officiating.

... surely you jest... he was poked, slapped, bumped, shoved, pushed, hit, leaned on, wrapped up, grabbed, elbowed, shouldered, every time he touched the ball. That wasn't just good defense it was 2nd degree assault.

The irony of the officiating was that the ACC is supposed to be a league where they call the ticky-tack fouls while the BE let them play (too much imo and to the detriment of BE teams when they got in the tourney). Tonight they missed numerous obvious fouls. That crew s*cked.

... surely you jest... he was poked, slapped, bumped, shoved, pushed, hit, leaned on, wrapped up, grabbed, elbowed, shouldered, every time he touched the ball. That wasn't just good defense it was 2nd degree assault.
It has been like that all year. Today wasn't as bad as other games. It was the inconsistency that stuck out to me.

It's hard enough scoring when doubled --- but when the other players are allowed to hold your shorts or drape their arms on yours while you're in the shooting motion -- yeah that does add a level of difficulty. I think Syracuse got the worst of some seriously incompetent officiating tonight ... and it's little concession that the refs "sucked at both ends".

Last edited:
In the first half everyone on Twitter was raving about the refs letting them play (we got away with 2 blatent fouls on Duke fast breaks). Then in the second half we had 2 real bad noncalls go against us and all of a sudden it's a terrible officiated game. Yes there we're missed calls both ways, ours hurt more because we struggled finishing close to the rim. Trying to put the blame elsewhere is frusterating, hate excuses

Look guys, I'll call out the refs when they cost us a game (see: Villanova), but we got away with just as much garbage as Duke. I don't think it was well reffed, but it was evenly reffed.
When the game was on the line --- and we were making a comeback ... Trevor Cooney got mauled on a fast break. NO CALL and DUKE BALL. And one or two possessions later ... at another critical point in the game --- Rak got obviously hacked while shooting right in front of the basket. AGAIN NO CALL... So keep making excuses about how dominant Duke was in an 8 point game (after a bunch of Duke foul shots)... because we got it stuck in our a*s at the worst possible times.

In the first half everyone on Twitter was raving about the refs letting them play (we got away with 2 blatent fouls on Duke fast breaks). Then in the second half we had 2 real bad noncalls go against us and all of a sudden it's a terrible officiated game. Yes there we're missed calls both ways, ours hurt more because we struggled finishing close to the rim. Trying to put the blame elsewhere is frusterating, hate excuses
Hey, congrats to Duke. But the refs were incompetent ... and the clown with the slicked-back hair saved his worst moments for the last few minutes when SU was making a comeback. Duke was the better team tonight, but I'm not sure how this game would have ended if we had 3 guys who had a clue what they were doing the last 5-6 minutes of the game.

Um, OK

So, I've got the non-calls in crucial moments on the Cooney layup and Rak jump hook.

What you got?

Okafor committed at least 8 fouls that Rak was called for on his second. I'm not even counting that…I'm talking about contact on shots that the announcers said were embarrassing non-calls.

That was not a fairly officiated game (although, I didn't expect it to be given "NBA profile big" on their team and we're not dancing).

It took active decision-making to not make those foul calls.

Rak did get outplayed a little bit, but it wasn't as bad as you're making it…people around here don't get the difference of establishing position on 2-3 zone vs. man-2-man defenses…you can get down low against the zone because of the nature of the defense. It's just a fact.

I thought it was horrendous all-around. I'm not even sure which team got the better of it. We got away with some crazy stuff, as did they. It just mucks up the whole game. I should be LIVID that Okafor never fouled out, because he fouled out multiple times, but then you got the other 927 calls they missed. I need my anger to be more clear cut!!!!

It was just garbage all around. They should all be fired. They had no idea what was going on. I mean they were missing Grade A undeniable arm grabs. Like Bilas said, some of those would be called in football there was so much excessive contact. Yet all three of the dimwits missed the contact?

Except for Cooney getting buggered on the break in the second half, I didn't have any major objections with the officiating. Just the standard incompetence.

When the game was on the line --- and we were making a comeback ... Trevor Cooney got mauled on a fast break. NO CALL and DUKE BALL. And one or two possessions later ... at another critical point in the game --- Rak got obviously hacked while shooting right in front of the basket. AGAIN NO CALL... So keep making excuses about how dominant Duke was in an 8 point game (after a bunch of Duke foul shots)... because we got it stuck in our a*s at the worst possible times.
That's my feeling as well. We shot ourselves in the foot plenty, to be sure. And the refs were terrible both ways.

BUT...

Those two non-calls you mention were absolute game changers, especially the one that should have been Okafor's 5th. 66-62, Rak should have been going to the line, Okafor should have been out, 2:45 left. That's a MASSIVE swing by not calling that.

Yes, Cooney was clearly fouled on his fast-break but so was Duke's Grayson Allen on his. I've also seen no mention of Rak's clear charge running over Plumlee that was called a block, though the foul on Rak when Plumlee lowered his shoulder & did the same makes that a wash.

My point is that you can play the "bad call trade-off" game all night, but it's not why we lost

Yes, Cooney was clearly fouled on his fast-break but so was Duke's Grayson Allen on his. I've also seen no mention of Rak's clear charge running over Plumlee that was called a block, though the foul on Rak when Plumlee lowered his shoulder & did the same makes that a wash.

My point is that you can play the "bad call trade-off" game all night, but it's not why we lost
Duke should NEVER get the benefit of a charge call.

That's my feeling as well. We shot ourselves in the foot plenty, to be sure. And the refs were terrible both ways.

BUT...

Those two non-calls you mention were absolute game changers, especially the one that should have been Okafor's 5th. 66-62, Rak should have been going to the line, Okafor should have been out, 2:45 left. That's a MASSIVE swing by not calling that.

Right after the non-foul call on Okafor they had another bad missed call (where we got the ball back anyway) where two Duke player must have slapped Roberson's arms 83 times in 4 seconds to knock the ball out of bounds. Still mystified how that wasn't called since they both nearly took his arms off. I suppose we got the ball back, but the refs were mental patients - all game.

Given our free throw %-46% SU would only make it closer but not win if 10 more fouls were called on Duke.
I know-several Duke players could have fouled out or we get more opportunities, but coach K would just have put in scrubs to foul.

Learn how to make free throws.

All that said-the SU young men play hard and with great heart and I'm very proud of them.

Ahhhh "the don't blame the refs" crowd is out in full force.

In the last 1/4th of the game, Duke was +8 in ref bs...

-The non call on Cooney that resulted in a fast break the other way and 2 points for Duke.

-The non call on Okafor that took away 2 Cuse free throw attempts down 4 and gave Duke a fast break, 2 points and Okafor to fouling out at that point.

Seriously... What is your rebuttal ref defenders!? A non-call on us in the first half?...lol ok.

Bilas was incredulous concerning the non-calls during the first half. "that's a foul", "that's a foul"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom