Gross says... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gross says...

who of those teams is looking - or willing - to do a road game? I think SU should try like hell to get two home games.

I'm all for scheduling harder comp. but we still need to progress this year. If we don't get to a bowl game it is a huge setback IMO.

Teams still looking to fill non-conference part of their schedules. Not many good options.

• Arkansas
  • Florida State
  • Hawaii
  • Houston
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas A&M
  • UAB
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • UTEP
I don't see any good options on this list. Maybe Florida State, though almost certainly a loss, is the least bad option?

I don't see any good options on this list. Maybe Florida State, though almost certainly a loss, is the least bad option?

The only opening FSU has is the week we play USC in the Meadowlands.

Thank god. I never have heard of a more ridiculous scenario with playing a team home and home in the same season, let alone Buttgers.

For the record, I love the Blue turf and would love to play Boise.
I have criticized DG in the past quite a few times. Not this time. If this is true, I think it is great. Well done Doc. Give 'em hell.

Frazier was the AD at Hawaii, but I don't think they like him there. He was fired amid some controversy, if I recall correctly.

Frazier was the AD at Hawaii, but I don't think they like him there. He was fired amid some controversy, if I recall correctly.

Lots of issues in his tenure including weak football scheduling, inadequete facilities, and weak coaching hires culminating with his inability to re-sign June Jones. I think the fans were ready to riot if he wasn't removed.

There was also a fiasco relating to Sugar Bowl tickets.

Lots of issues in his tenure including weak football scheduling, inadequete facilities, and weak coaching hires culminating with his inability to re-sign June Jones. I think the fans were ready to riot if he wasn't removed.

So we hired him?

Boise!!! Bring it on!!!

Part of me would love to play them in the Dome. But part of me would love to see us play on the blue turf wearing orange jersey's.

So we hired him?
The local Hawaiian newspapers really tee off on him if you google his name.

From his wiki:

Frazier was criticized by some for leaving UAB with a $7.5 million deficit. His supporters noted that he had inherited a deficit and did not receive institutional support, while his detractors claimed that he was ineffective in increasing revenue.[2][9]

On January 8, 2008, Herman Frazier was fired from his position as athletic director at the University of Hawaii following heavy criticism from the fans and media of the State of Hawaii. On March 3, 2007, he was loudly booed by the crowd following the final home game of the University of Hawaii's head basketball coach Riley Wallace.[10][11] Frazier is widely viewed as having forced Wallace to resign by including a "no-extension" clause in his final contract. However, Wallace has accepted responsibility by saying, "The bottom line is Riley Wallace signed the contract."[12] Frazier was also criticized by both the media and public for ongoing delays and a perceived lack of integrity in finalizing the full 2007 Hawaii Warriors football team schedule. Frazier admitted that he may have miscalculated in regards to the schedule but stands by his record at Hawaii citing, in part, his balancing of the athletics budget. He inherited a $2.5 million deficit from his predecessor.[11][13][14][15] (Note: It was discovered after Frasier left that the so called "balanced budget" left the athletic department with an even greater debt hovering around $6 million even after the windfall from the Sugar Bowl.) Finally, Frazier also received the brunt of the blame for then UH football coach, June Jones, leaving the University for Southern Methodist University.[3][4]

On April 6, 2009, Jim Bolla -- who Frazier hired in 2004—was fired as the women's basketball coach for Hawaii after former players complained of a "pattern of verbal abuse" from Bolla. Former UH player Pamela Tambini told the Honolulu Advertiser that players complained for years about their treatment by Bolla to Frazier but Frazier apparently took no actions. The paper quoted Tambini stating: "Everybody knew about it and did nothing about it ... We were going through hell. No student should have had to go through that. It's not fair."[16]

The local Hawaiian newspapers really tee off on him if you google his name.

From his wiki:

Frazier was criticized by some for leaving UAB with a $7.5 million deficit. His supporters noted that he had inherited a deficit and did not receive institutional support, while his detractors claimed that he was ineffective in increasing revenue.[2][9]

On January 8, 2008, Herman Frazier was fired from his position as athletic director at the University of Hawaii following heavy criticism from the fans and media of the State of Hawaii. On March 3, 2007, he was loudly booed by the crowd following the final home game of the University of Hawaii's head basketball coach Riley Wallace.[10][11] Frazier is widely viewed as having forced Wallace to resign by including a "no-extension" clause in his final contract. However, Wallace has accepted responsibility by saying, "The bottom line is Riley Wallace signed the contract."[12] Frazier was also criticized by both the media and public for ongoing delays and a perceived lack of integrity in finalizing the full 2007 Hawaii Warriors football team schedule. Frazier admitted that he may have miscalculated in regards to the schedule but stands by his record at Hawaii citing, in part, his balancing of the athletics budget. He inherited a $2.5 million deficit from his predecessor.[11][13][14][15] (Note: It was discovered after Frasier left that the so called "balanced budget" left the athletic department with an even greater debt hovering around $6 million even after the windfall from the Sugar Bowl.) Finally, Frazier also received the brunt of the blame for then UH football coach, June Jones, leaving the University for Southern Methodist University.[3][4]

On April 6, 2009, Jim Bolla -- who Frazier hired in 2004—was fired as the women's basketball coach for Hawaii after former players complained of a "pattern of verbal abuse" from Bolla. Former UH player Pamela Tambini told the Honolulu Advertiser that players complained for years about their treatment by Bolla to Frazier but Frazier apparently took no actions. The paper quoted Tambini stating: "Everybody knew about it and did nothing about it ... We were going through hell. No student should have had to go through that. It's not fair."[16]

Yikes!

Teams still looking to fill non-conference part of their schedules. Not many good options.

• Arkansas
  • Florida State
  • Hawaii
  • Houston
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas A&M
  • UAB
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • UTEP

Which of these schools actually have open dates that correspond to our available weekends? That's where the scheduling gets more complicated

I thought What when he was hired. I forgot about that until now.

College athletics is amazing, manage to land one job and you'll have one, somewhere, for life.

My brother is at Middle Tenn State working on his Phd, this would be a decent game there team isnt that bad and I am sure they would be willing to come to the Dome. FSU OK OKST and others are a non starter for me, we have USC allready no more guaranteed losses.

we need wins schedule Hawaii, Middle Tenn and Utep or Uab

I think Coach Marrone talked about working Texas hard and setting themselves up for future recruiting success there. He said it hadn't really shown results yet. Perhaps setting up a series even with North Texas, perhaps on a 2 home games for us and one visit by us down there might be beneficial to get our name out down there.

Regarding Frazier, maybe it is a Constanza like thing, where DG asks him for advice and always does the opposite?

• Arkansas
  • Florida State
  • Hawaii
  • Houston
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas A&M
  • UAB
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • UTEP
I am going to assume we are targeting 9/29 as the date to play the 5th OOC game. Given that...

Florida State was already talked about. They aren't free on 9/29 so I think they are out.

Middle Tennessee State has September 29th open. Their 3 other OOC games are all on the road, so I am sure they would prefer to play this game in Tennessee, but they might do us a favor in return for us playing them down there. They are completing a 2 for 1 deal with GT this year, so I would think they would be willing to do that for us as well. A game in Tennessee could be helpful to the staff recruiting kids in the Georgia and Tennessee areas. This looks very doable, especially given our in with Boots.

Regarding Arkansas, Rutgers is close to signing a home and home with them that would have them visit Fayetteville in 2012 and play in NJ in 2013. So it looks like the Razorbacks want to play that 2012 game at home. Arkansas is booked to play Texas A&M on 9/29. Don't think this one is going to happen.

Hawaii is booked to play BYU on 9/29. Don't think we are a good fit for them.
Houston plays Rice on 9/29, No go.
Missouri plays at UCF 9/29/ Not looking good.
Nebraska plays Wisconsin on 9/29. Nope.

North Texas has an opening on 9/29. Probably doable. Is Kathy Ireland still their placekicker?

Oklahoma has an opening for 9/29. They might even possibly consider playing in Syracuse.
Oklahoma State plays Texas on 9/29.
Texas A&M plays Arkansas on 9/29 (see above).
UAB plays Tulsa on 9/29. No go.

Louisiana Lafayette has an opening on 9/29. Looks possible. If it happens, Charlie Loeb needs to look out for his biggest fan travelling with the Ragin' Cajuns to Syracuse.

UTEP plays at East Carolina on 9/29. Sorry Mark.

So Middle Tennessee State looks like it makes the most sense (which means it is almost certain it won't happen). If we want to go big time, we try and schedule Oklahoma. If we want to go for a little fish, we go for North Texas or Louisiana Lafayette.

As always, nice job Tom. looks like Middle Tenn. Not bad as you mention it could help recruiting. Oklahoma in the dome would be fantastic but a sure loss not sure if DM needs that this year.

Get MTSU to come up here this year, then we'll head down there next year.

They have a nice stadium, for the Sun Belt.

..go for the best team we can get on schedule...going to a lower tier bowl doesnt do much except add some practice sessions for the team...WIN a big time game and it could be a GAME CHANGER for recruiting...and a top tier Bowl as well.

We are not going to beat Oklahoma if we play them 10 times in the Dome next year. Doug needs wins if he wants to remain coach. With USC, Northwestern, Minnesota already scheduled i would add a game we can win and one that provides some other benefit like recruiting. Oklahoma does nothing for recruiting long term. Middle Tenn or North Texas both are games we should win and provide a boost to recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom