Gross says... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gross says...

Some of you make me sick. "We needs wins. I don't wanna play another hard game that we'll lose. Waah Waah Waah!" You want wins? You want to play a bunch of nobodies to get them? Go cheer for Rutgers then. I understand how winning begets better recruits etc. blah blah blah. I don't care! Until this team can be successful playing multiple top teams out of conference each year it will still have work to do. 7-5 against crap doesn't make me feel good. Give me a good effort loss against an Oklahoma over a win no matter how big or small, over a Middle Tennessee St. Syracuse - Oklahoma is a real NCAA football game. Syracuse - Middle Tenn St is not. It's schedule filler and nothing more. No offense to Middle Tenn St. They have a nice program. Just not a program the caliber that SU should be scheduling.

I understand what you're getting at, but it's also very important to change the perception of the program and having winning records and bowl games, no matter how weak a bowl, is critical. Recruits pay attention to Ws and Ls. Would a recruit rather hear "We've gone to bowl games the last 2 seasons" or "Yeah we had a losing record, but we play a really tough schedule. The bright side is that you get to lose to some of the best teams in the country."

Going 5-7 or 4-8 with a really tough OOC schedule isn't going to get us to where we need to be. There is room for balance in the schedule.

Some of you make me sick. "We needs wins. I don't wanna play another hard game that we'll lose. Waah Waah Waah!" You want wins? You want to play a bunch of nobodies to get them? Go cheer for Rutgers then. I understand how winning begets better recruits etc. blah blah blah. I don't care! Until this team can be successful playing multiple top teams out of conference each year it will still have work to do. 7-5 against crap doesn't make me feel good. Give me a good effort loss against an Oklahoma over a win no matter how big or small, over a Middle Tennessee St. Syracuse - Oklahoma is a real NCAA football game. Syracuse - Middle Tenn St is not. It's schedule filler and nothing more. No offense to Middle Tenn St. They have a nice program. Just not a program the caliber that SU should be scheduling.

Will you stand by Marrone when he goes 5-7 for the next few years?

Because a season filled with "good effort losses" gets a coach fired.

Will you stand by Marrone when he goes 5-7 for the next few years?

Because a season filled with "good effort losses" gets a coach fired.
1. Nope
2. It should

As Dan Hawkins said. "This is Division I football baby!"

Heard yesterday that Pernetti locked up Arkansas to a home and home. We will travel there this year and they will come to Rutgers the following year...
guess it was always Schiano that stood in the way of scheduling real opponents :noidea:

with GS in town that never woulda happened

Please take a look at all Big12 and SEC OOC schedules then come back and tell me there is something wrong with playing a non-AQ team. This is what all of the bog boys are doing now since they took strength of schedule out of the BCS. of course Toilet State has always been ahead of the curve here.

Oklahoma jumping all over a game with UTEP is a strong clue. Did they try to schedule FLST or Arkansas ? No siree.

They play more conference games and against much better teams. While they are playing Oklahoma we are playing, well rutgers.

Heard yesterday that Pernetti locked up Arkansas to a home and home. We will travel there this year and they will come to Rutgers the following year...

Finally...congrats. Glad to see you pumping up your OOC schedule. When you get to 3-4 BCS schools OOC come talk to us.

1. Nope
2. It should

As Dan Hawkins said. "This is Division I football baby!"
If you want to make a point, it's best not to quote one of the worst BCS coaches of the past decade.

Please take a look at all Big12 and SEC OOC schedules then come back and tell me there is something wrong with playing a non-AQ team. This is what all of the bog boys are doing now since they took strength of schedule out of the BCS. of course Toilet State has always been ahead of the curve here.

Oklahoma jumping all over a game with UTEP is a strong clue. Did they try to schedule FLST or Arkansas ? No siree.

One minor difference: they play in the Big 12 or SEC. We play in the ing Big East. There aren't any big games in our conference.

One minor difference: they play in the Big 12 or SEC. We play in the ******* Big East. There aren't any big games in our conference.
Even if Boise St. joins in 2012, it is possible that there will be no ranked teams in the Big East in the upcoming season. "Others receiving votes", sure... but actually ranked... maybe not.

One minor difference: they play in the Big 12 or SEC. We play in the ******* Big East. There aren't any big games in our conference.

Tell that to DM.

They play more conference games and against much better teams. While they are playing Oklahoma we are playing, well rutgers.

So you're OK playing 2 non-AQ's and an FCS every year once we're in the ACC ?

So you're OK playing 2 non-AQ's and an FCS every year once we're in the ACC ?

when we are in the acc and need 3 ooc games, i want to play 1 bcs team, 1 mac type team and 1 fcs.

Some people are getting wrapped around the axle over a 2 year scheduling blip...we need to underschedule the next season or two to gain positive momentum. We already have built in 1-2 probable OOC losses for 2012 and some want to add another? Crazy!

I see us eventually scheduling OOC: 1 National Big Boy, 1 lower BCS/upper non BCS, 1 Baby Seal.

when we are in the acc and need 3 ooc games, i want to play 1 bcs team, 1 mac type team and 1 fcs.
Yep, bingo. And let's have the BCS team be a historical foe, or an SEC. We've done the Big 10 gauntlet recently, time to move to another conference. The MAC game can keep us with exposure in the Big 10 region.

Arkansas
Florida St.
Hawai'i - 13th game available
Houston (North Texas on schedule)
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas
Oklahoma - 2 games (added UTEP & FAMU)
Oklahoma St.
Texas A&M - 2 games (added South Carolina St.)
UAB
UL-Lafayette (added Lamar)
UTEP

Tell that to DM.

Tell what to DM? That there aren't any big games in BE play? Pretty sure he knows.

A W over a schlep is not something to be excited about. We don't play Florida, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina during conference play like the "big boys" do.

A game of similar pedigree to WVU would be nice for the fans to watch.

I'm not even sure what would be better: a huge win over Stony Brook or a close loss to a high-BCS team.

SU is already playing three BCS conference teams, including possible #1 USC. Most teams in BCS conferences are not playing three BCS teams OOC. It's not shameful for SU to want to add MTSU or North Texas instead of Oklahoma or Arkansas. It's not Rutgersesque. Rutgers does not play the amount of BCS teams that SU does.

This 100%, SU playing Oklahoma serves zero purposes, I mean what you want us to get shelled by 40+ and lose a couple starters to injury? We are allready playing 3 BCS OOC including a top 5 team. Jesus were not LSU.

Tell what to DM? That there aren't any big games in BE play? Pretty sure he knows.

A W over a schlep is not something to be excited about. We don't play Florida, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina during conference play like the "big boys" do.

A game of similar pedigree to WVU would be nice for the fans to watch.

I'm not even sure what would be better: a huge win over Stony Brook or a close loss to a high-BCS team.

Ya cause what this team needs is a road trip to FSU or Nebraska in September, were not talking about the SU basketball team here or even the Lax team, were not good enough to play Notre Dames schedule in the Mid 90's. Newsflash were trying to get bowl eligible and allready have USC on the schedule. MTSU and North Texas or Hawaii should be the games this team is no where near ready to play two top 15 teams basically on the road.

Newsflash, losses do not count toward bowl eligibility. Extra practices for a bowl game are HUGE in program development.

Some people are getting wrapped around the axle over a 2 year scheduling blip...we need to underschedule the next season or two to gain positive momentum. We already have built in 1-2 probable OOC losses for 2012 and some want to add another? Crazy!

I see us eventually scheduling OOC: 1 National Big Boy, 1 lower BCS/upper non BCS, 1 Baby Seal.

Exactly. We need to have some cupcakes in the next couple of seasons to get the momentum going. Once we are moving, we can start adding more top teams. We accomplish absolutely nothing by over-scheduling ourselves.

[quote="A W over a schlep is not something to be excited about. [/quote]

It sure as hell is when you've gone to one medicre bowl game in the last 7 seasons. We need wins next year. 6 to be exact. Moral losses by 20-30 to the likes of Oklahoma, FL State and Arkansas are the last thing we should be angling for at this stage.

Thanks to so many of you for proving my point. "we're not good enough..." "we need wins..." "no moral losses" "extra practice time..." Put a skirt on. You do not get good enough to beat Oklahoma or Arkansas by beating Stony Brook. You get good enough to beat real teams by playing real teams, even if you lose to them. The Pinstripe Bowl was folly for this team. It gave some of you a feeling of accomplishment. But what was the accomplishment? SU beat the 8th (?) place team from the Big 12 in a bowl game, played in a baseball stadium, pretty much created so SU and other Big East teams with a .500 or better record would have a place to go. I'm sure it was fun. I'm sure the extra practice helped last year (oops...maybe I'm not so sure based on last years performance). I'm sure it got us better recruits (oops...maybe not, we'll see in 4 years when they start playing). Sorry, but I'd rather SU plays a man's schedule and go 5-7 than to play a crap schedule and go 7-5. There is one real game on next years schedule...USC. Anyone that brings up the perpetual B10 doormats on our schedule are just wrong.

[quote="A W over a schlep is not something to be excited about.

It sure as hell is when you've gone to one medicre bowl game in the last 7 seasons. We need wins next year. 6 to be exact. Moral losses by 20-30 to the likes of Oklahoma, FL State and Arkansas are the last thing we should be angling for at this stage.[/quote]

A 20-30 point loss is not a moral loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom