Gross says... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gross says...

Methinks everything is already lined up... actually a couple of options are lined up. The wait now is on whether or not there's a replacement for WVU.

This is also the week that the ACC traditionally announces its schedule. If Syracuse and/or Pitt have some scheduling alternatives involving ACC members then that announcement may be delayed as well.

All should be clear in 7-10 days.

the good doctor should take a hard look to find some teams that have no defense-
add them and pray

Arkansas, Houston, Texas A&M, and Missouri. That should be the group we pick from; Big name recruits do not respect coaches that run away from challenges with their tails in between their legs. These four teams would be more equal to our talent than OU, Neb, and OkSU.

Is it up to DG?

Probably not. Part of me hopes that Rutgers and Marinatto put their heads together and make it happen (you would think as the only remaining original member, Rutgers gets some say).

That way when we do leave, everyone in college football will know that we are leaving the dumbest league in college sports, and Rutgers will be stuck there. Forever.

Then we take the sweep on our way out as that program falls apart from their coaching fallout.

Teams still looking to fill non-conference part of their schedules. Not many good options.

• Arkansas
  • Florida State
  • Hawaii
  • Houston
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas A&M
  • UAB
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • UTEP

If Boise stays in the MWCUSA for another year, my money is on Florida State away and Middle Tennessee State at home. I didn't say my preference, just my bet. And I'm not really putting up any money by the way.

1AA is not an option. 1 home game is a must. None of those big names are coming to the Dome without us going there maybe twice in the future. Or if we're lucky, getting a Penn State deal with 1-1-1 (NYC). As for Florida State, I think we'll do them and the ACC a favor, much like they did for us in 2004.

We are not going to beat Oklahoma if we play them 10 times in the Dome next year. Doug needs wins if he wants to remain coach. With USC, Northwestern, Minnesota already scheduled i would add a game we can win and one that provides some other benefit like recruiting. Oklahoma does nothing for recruiting long term. Middle Tenn or North Texas both are games we should win and provide a boost to recruiting.
Most people thought we would get creamed by WVU last season and the season before, but look what happened. Any team can win on any given day. Oklahoma and other big name schools are beatable it just depends on the team's mindset. If you start thinking you're going to get beat before and during the game then you're obviously going to get beat. I'm going to predict it now...I think SU beats USC this year.

Get MTSU to come up here this year, then we'll head down there next year.

They have a nice stadium, for the Sun Belt.

Middle Tennessee State has a good program too.

In 2008, they lost to Kentucky in Lexington 20-14 and beat Maryland in College Park 24-14.

In 2009 they beat Maryland 32-21 in College Park and won the New Orleans Bowl beating Southern Mississippi 42-32.

In 2010, they lost to Minnesota at their stadium 24-17 and lost to Miami of Ohio in the GoDaddy Bowl 35-21.

I assume Fridge is not their biggest fan.

Most people thought we would get creamed by WVU last season and the season before, but look what happened. Any team can win on any given day. Oklahoma and other big name schools are beatable it just depends on the team's mindset. If you start thinking you're going to get beat before and during the game then you're obviously going to get beat. I'm going to predict it now...I think SU beats USC this year.
I will bet you a night on Marshal street that Syracuse doesnt stay within two scores of USC this year. And i pray im buying!

Teams still looking to fill non-conference part of their schedules. Not many good options.

• Arkansas
  • Florida State
  • Hawaii
  • Houston
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas A&M
  • UAB
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • UTEP

Lots of issues...

According to FBSchedules.com, Louisiana-Lafayette is full. That site also says North Texas and Middle Tennessee have ZERO home OOC games right now. I'm pretty sure there's a rule that a school has to play at least five home games. I'd guess those schools are holding out for a home-and-home with an AQ (with them playing at home in '12) and if they can't get that, they'll schedule an FCS team. There's also a rumor UTEP and Oklahoma are close to a deal on a home-and-home. That leaves UAB as the only remaining non-AQ available on this list and SU would have to fight all the other AQs for them. To win, SU would have to pay a lot of money or agree to a home-and-home. SU doesn't have the money and with only 3 OOC games to play in the future, can't afford to give a home game to a non-AQ team.

I think the BE will get one of the noobs to play in '12 and SU will end up playing two FCS teams.

second game with Rutgers is not an option, according to ESPN CNY and Troy Nunes.

So much for another Pinstripe Bowl

The right call. Adios Toilet State.

I am going to assume we are targeting 9/29 as the date to play the 5th OOC game. Given that...

Florida State was already talked about. They aren't free on 9/29 so I think they are out.

Middle Tennessee State has September 29th open. Their 3 other OOC games are all on the road, so I am sure they would prefer to play this game in Tennessee, but they might do us a favor in return for us playing them down there. They are completing a 2 for 1 deal with GT this year, so I would think they would be willing to do that for us as well. A game in Tennessee could be helpful to the staff recruiting kids in the Georgia and Tennessee areas. This looks very doable, especially given our in with Boots.

Regarding Arkansas, Rutgers is close to signing a home and home with them that would have them visit Fayetteville in 2012 and play in NJ in 2013. So it looks like the Razorbacks want to play that 2012 game at home. Arkansas is booked to play Texas A&M on 9/29. Don't think this one is going to happen.

Hawaii is booked to play BYU on 9/29. Don't think we are a good fit for them.
Houston plays Rice on 9/29, No go.
Missouri plays at UCF 9/29/ Not looking good.
Nebraska plays Wisconsin on 9/29. Nope.

North Texas has an opening on 9/29. Probably doable. Is Kathy Ireland still their placekicker?

Oklahoma has an opening for 9/29. They might even possibly consider playing in Syracuse.
Oklahoma State plays Texas on 9/29.
Texas A&M plays Arkansas on 9/29 (see above).
UAB plays Tulsa on 9/29. No go.

Louisiana Lafayette has an opening on 9/29. Looks possible. If it happens, Charlie Loeb needs to look out for his biggest fan travelling with the Ragin' Cajuns to Syracuse.

UTEP plays at East Carolina on 9/29. Sorry Mark.

So Middle Tennessee State looks like it makes the most sense (which means it is almost certain it won't happen). If we want to go big time, we try and schedule Oklahoma. If we want to go for a little fish, we go for North Texas or Louisiana Lafayette.

Thanks Tom. I was going to look at all those schedules too now I don't have to. MTSU does look like a possibility. As to Oklahoma, they pay at WVU in the new B12 schedule. Would they want to come "east" twice"? Also, don't we have 2 games to still schedule?

We already have USC, want to see an opponent of similar pedigree to WVU.

Exactly. And as has been stated, playing a BE opponent -- Buttgers or anyone else for that matter -- twice, is NOT an option. That's just plain ridiculous.

I think Coach Marrone talked about working Texas hard and setting themselves up for future recruiting success there. He said it hadn't really shown results yet. Perhaps setting up a series even with North Texas, perhaps on a 2 home games for us and one visit by us down there might be beneficial to get our name out down there.

If we were in the nBE working Texas makes sense. Deleone had some success getting some sleeper kids outta of Texas (Houston Area) but going to the ACC I don't see Texas being a good play. If we have an "in" with a particular HS or if it involves recruiting someone with a NE or Cuse connection you should pursue. I think we need to recruit to our strengths. I still think we should've added a 2nd NJ/E PA recruiter to help Coach Moore.

BTW, I'm depressed at our scheduling options...I fear we get two 1AA' again like in 2010. The good news is our scheduling should be much better after going to the ACC.

Also, don't we have 2 games to still schedule?
Technically, yes.

If Boise joins this year, then only 1. It's a mess. The longer the Boise thing takes the more of a mess it becomes as options disappear, and the more I'd like to see it all resolved this coming year.

Middle Tennessee State has a good program too.

In 2008, they lost to Kentucky in Lexington 20-14 and beat Maryland in College Park 24-14.

In 2009 they beat Maryland 32-21 in College Park and won the New Orleans Bowl beating Southern Mississippi 42-32.

In 2010, they lost to Minnesota at their stadium 24-17 and lost to Miami of Ohio in the GoDaddy Bowl 35-21.

I assume Fridge is not their biggest fan.

They'd have a great stadium for the Sun Beast.

Oklahoma and UTEP just announced they're playing each other, so you can take them off the list.

Some of you make me sick. "We needs wins. I don't wanna play another hard game that we'll lose. Waah Waah Waah!" You want wins? You want to play a bunch of nobodies to get them? Go cheer for Rutgers then. I understand how winning begets better recruits etc. blah blah blah. I don't care! Until this team can be successful playing multiple top teams out of conference each year it will still have work to do. 7-5 against crap doesn't make me feel good. Give me a good effort loss against an Oklahoma over a win no matter how big or small, over a Middle Tennessee St. Syracuse - Oklahoma is a real NCAA football game. Syracuse - Middle Tenn St is not. It's schedule filler and nothing more. No offense to Middle Tenn St. They have a nice program. Just not a program the caliber that SU should be scheduling.

Some of you make me sick. "We needs wins. I don't wanna play another hard game that we'll lose. Waah Waah Waah!" You want wins? You want to play a bunch of nobodies to get them? Go cheer for Rutgers then. I understand how winning begets better recruits etc. blah blah blah. I don't care! Until this team can be successful playing multiple top teams out of conference each year it will still have work to do. 7-5 against crap doesn't make me feel good. Give me a good effort loss against an Oklahoma over a win no matter how big or small, over a Middle Tennessee St. Syracuse - Oklahoma is a real NCAA football game. Syracuse - Middle Tenn St is not. It's schedule filler and nothing more. No offense to Middle Tenn St. They have a nice program. Just not a program the caliber that SU should be scheduling.

SU is already playing three BCS conference teams, including possible #1 USC. Most teams in BCS conferences are not playing three BCS teams OOC. It's not shameful for SU to want to add MTSU or North Texas instead of Oklahoma or Arkansas. It's not Rutgersesque. Rutgers does not play the amount of BCS teams that SU does.

Thanks Tom. I was going to look at all those schedules too now I don't have to. MTSU does look like a possibility.
Also, don't we have 2 games to still schedule?
OK, so what is Pitt doing with their schedule?

The longer this drags out the more I think we should fight to the death for extra leverage on the eventual buyout. This is harming us financially. If it's a lawsuit, I'm all for it.

SU is already playing three BCS conference teams, including possible #1 USC. Most teams in BCS conferences are not playing three BCS teams OOC. It's not shameful for SU to want to add MTSU or North Texas instead of Oklahoma or Arkansas. It's not Rutgersesque. Rutgers does not play the amount of BCS teams that SU does.
Northwestern and Minnesota don't really instill fear into anyone's heart...Minnesota has been as bad as it gets for BCS teams the past few years and Northwestern is perpetually average.

Please take a look at all Big12 and SEC OOC schedules then come back and tell me there is something wrong with playing a non-AQ team. This is what all of the bog boys are doing now since they took strength of schedule out of the BCS. of course Toilet State has always been ahead of the curve here.

Oklahoma jumping all over a game with UTEP is a strong clue. Did they try to schedule FLST or Arkansas ? No siree.

Please take a look at all Big12 and SEC OOC schedules then come back and tell me there is something wrong with playing a non-AQ team. This is what all of the bog boys are doing now since they took strength of schedule out of the BCS. of course Toilet State has always been ahead of the curve here.

Oklahoma jumping all over a game with UTEP is a strong clue. Did they try to schedule FLST or Arkansas ? No siree.

Last I saw, other conferences don't only play 6 conference games. Even if we schedule one more tough game, we can still easily get to a bowl.

• Arkansas
  • Florida State
  • Hawaii
  • Houston
  • Middle Tennessee State
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • North Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas A&M
  • UAB
  • Louisiana-Lafayette
  • UTEP

Heard yesterday that Pernetti locked up Arkansas to a home and home. We will travel there this year and they will come to Rutgers the following year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom