Gross says... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Gross says...

Thanks to so many of you for proving my point. "we're not good enough..." "we need wins..." "no moral losses" "extra practice time..." Put a skirt on. You do not get good enough to beat Oklahoma or Arkansas by beating Stony Brook. You get good enough to beat real teams by playing real teams, even if you lose to them. The Pinstripe Bowl was folly for this team. It gave some of you a feeling of accomplishment. But what was the accomplishment? SU beat the 8th (?) place team from the Big 12 in a bowl game, played in a baseball stadium, pretty much created so SU and other Big East teams with a .500 or better record would have a place to go. I'm sure it was fun. I'm sure the extra practice helped last year (oops...maybe I'm not so sure based on last years performance). I'm sure it got us better recruits (oops...maybe not, we'll see in 4 years when they start playing). Sorry, but I'd rather SU plays a man's schedule and go 5-7 than to play a crap schedule and go 7-5. There is one real game on next years schedule...USC. Anyone that brings up the perpetual B10 doormats on our schedule are just wrong.

Over scheduling for this team at this time is self defeating. You learn how to win by winning games. Being overmatched, overrun, and stuffed every play does nothing for a team trying to get it's feet underneath. It crushes confidence and is a wasted week in terms of execution.

You don't learn anything other than the distance between you and the top of D-1, which you have a good handle on anyways, and does NOTHING for the near term. There are currently 9 BCS conference teams out of 10 schedule. That's fine for this team in the state it is at this moment.

What is SU going to gain by beating up on Stony Brook? Sure a W, which might help them qualify for a bowl game, but it isn't going to make them better as a team. Come on now.

Why do teams scrimmage? It's to execute in a game setting. Getting destroyed is nothing more than getting destroyed. Playing a lesser opponent can sure as hell help you improve.

Where do the 5 wins come from? Where does a loss come from? I really don't get this fear of competition. Outside of maybe USC there is not one team on this schedule that anyone should fear this year. USC likely will be the only ranked team we play this year. The 2nd and 3rd toughest games were scratched in TCU and WVU so we replace them with filler? The reason to play tough out of conference games is because the conference does not provide those games. This is not the old Big East where you had to play WVU, Miami and Va Tech every year. I hope they dump about 10 bowl games so we can stop rewarding mediocrity. Oklahoma can pick up a couple of sure wins on their schedule. Because they're going to play Texas and OK State and WVU and TCU and oh yeah they play Notre Dame also.

Strenght of schedule is only irrelevent to this program right now. Learning how to string wins together is.

Updated (UAB off list) (9 - 1A games left)
Arkansas
Boise St. - 13th game available
Florida St.
Hawai'i - 13th game available
Houston (North Texas on schedule)
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas
Oklahoma - 2 games (added UTEP & FAMU)
Oklahoma St. (added Savannah St.)
Texas A&M - 2 games (added South Carolina St. & Sam Houston St.)
UAB (added SE Louisiana)
UL-Lafayette (added Lamar)
UTEP (added Oklahoma

Big East
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Louisville
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Rutgers - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
USF

Updated (UAB off list) (9 - 1A games left)
Arkansas
Florida St.
Houston (North Texas on schedule)
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas
Oklahoma - 2 games (added UTEP & FAMU)
Oklahoma St. (added Savannah St.)
Texas A&M - 2 games (added South Carolina St. & Sam Houston St.)
UAB (added SE Louisiana)
UL-Lafayette (added Lamar)
UTEP (added Oklahoma

Big East
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Louisville
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Rutgers - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
USF

This is not good...the lower 1A's are adding FCS teams. I fear we could feast on two 1AAs this year. If stuck with another 1AA I would call Colgate again. At least they will travel 3-4k fans. The second 1AA won't count for bowl eligibility so no need to worry about Colgate not being a counter.

We need to add Hawaii, MTSU or NTSU as one game. I would talk to Nebraska (the team we might have a chance of beating in 2012) about a 1/1/1 series. We could piggybank one of the games in the future to MetLife. Not the best situation but reasonable. I'd prefer to play two middling opponents but we don't have much choice.

If we are going to play someone twice I'd rather it be Pitt.

The BE better have a deadline within a few days for making Boise happen to the BE in 2012.

Grab a game versus Missouri they need two games and then grab one against Middle Tenn State or North Texas and call it a day.

Grab a game versus Missouri they need two games and then grab one against Middle Tenn State or North Texas and call it a day.

Missouri is my second choice but Nebraska might be interested in a 1/1/1. Nebraska has the fan base/tradition to help fill Met Life...Mizzou doesn't.

Missouri is my second choice but Nebraska might be interested in a 1/1/1. Nebraska has the fan base/tradition to help fill Met Life...Mizzou doesn't.

I just see us and Missouri as two teams moving conferences who need 2 games each of the season. We can just play them once and be done with it. Where Nebraska might ask us for more in return.

I hope that the confidence that I'm reading into Gross's quotes (on not playing RU twice) is justified. That confidence could mean that an answer to the scheduling conundrum is at hand.

I hope that the confidence that I'm reading into Gross's quotes (on not playing RU twice) is justified. That confidence could mean that an answer to the scheduling conundrum is at hand.

I think it was more the realization that playing a game in YS would undercut the game at MetLife. We have a 14 games with the NJ Folks and they are our Tri-State Master until 2038.

I would play at Boise, they will be down somewhat next year and it is a decent replacement versus WVU. Throw in Mid Ten St which won't be a gimme and move on

The other odd thing is that the ACC has yet to release their 2012 Football schedule. I am not saying that we are moving to the ACC this year just that the ACC normally would have released the shedule by now.

I think they were waiting to see what Pitt and SU were going to do, they left the door open as long as possible but I think it has basically closed for 2012

I know this is a dumb question, but since the NCAA gives exemptions on extreme cases...

Could SU get an exemption for counting two 1-AA teams towards Bowl Eligibility because the Big East is at fault for the scheduling troubles?

If Urban Meyer is allowed to get an exemption to recruit while another coaching staff is in place..why not?

I think they were waiting to see what Pitt and SU were going to do, they left the door open as long as possible but I think it has basically closed for 2012

I was thinking that perhaps the ACC was attempting to manipulate the schedules in an attempt to remedy the situation created be WVU for FSU, Pitt and SU. In light of the statement of the ACC on the delay of the release of their 2012 FB schedule this would be my best guess.

I would play at Boise, they will be down somewhat next year and it is a decent replacement versus WVU. Throw in Mid Ten St which won't be a gimme and move on
I'd be more than happy if we get Boise or similar for one of the games and whomever for the other. But I wanted to make sure everyone knows Midd Tenn St isnt the Middle Tenn St of 2 years ago. Last year they were 2-10 and ranked 169th in the Sagarins (for whatever its worth). There were 54 FCS teams ranked ahead of them so theyre not the small conference bowl team of a few years ago. But they are a FBS team and the gae woudl count toward bowl eligibility.

If we cant nab Middle Tenn and given the fact that Tim is no longer coaching Skaneateles i say we schedule the lakers and try and get a 2 for 1 with St. John Fisher

7 1-A Teams left - (8 games)
Arkansas (Added the 'girls)
Florida St.
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas

Big East
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Louisville
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Rutgers - 2 games 1 game (added Ark)
Syracuse - 2 games
USF

**If Boise State enters in 2012, these teams will have an opening:
Home games: Colorado State, Fresno State, San Diego State, UNLV
Road games: Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming

Florida St.
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas

Big East
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Louisville
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
USF

You forgot Air Force should Boise leave for the BE. At this point I hope the BE can get Boise in for 2012. Right now the BE needs 10 games yet there are only 8 available. If Boise comes then the BE needs 3 games and there are 16 available. The MWC would need 9 games with 9 available so it works out fine for them as well. Although Hawaii would be stuck at only 12 games.

AF not on schedule for Boise this year. There is 10 teams in MWC and they only have 8 league games.

AF not on schedule for Boise this year. There is 10 teams in MWC and they only have 8 league games.

Well if that is the case couldn't they just change the conference schedule to playing everyone once? In which case the MWC would have zero openings should Boise move? That actually works out better.

Florida St.
Middle Tennessee
Missouri - 2 games
Nebraska
North Texas

Big East
Connecticut
Cincinnati - 2 games
Louisville
Pittsburgh - 2 games
Syracuse - 2 games
USF

Someone should post this on the Wyoming board and see how their fans woud feel about coming out here next season. Maybe we coud do a return trip the following year?;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom