GT is going to be a huge problem | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

GT is going to be a huge problem

Hookers?
mick.jpg

Techs defense is very fast but I feel like they’re a bit undersized. Did anyone else get that impression?

Yes, I agree with this. They remind me of some of our old defenses. A bit undersized, but flying around.
I think if we can run the ball, we will win this game.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but early in the game king struggled a little getting calls in. Done noise could play a huge factor!
We may have lost the Dome noise advantage with the rule change.

Coach-to-Player Communications (Rule 1-4-11-b, Exception)
Coach to player communications through the helmet is permissive in 2024 for the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) based on the following guidelines:
  • Only one player may be on the field per team at a time with radio receiving capability and the player must be identified by an unbranded green dot on the back midline of the helmet.
  • Coach-to-player communications will be cut off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds or at the snap, whichever comes first. When the play clock resets to 25/40, the communications will be turned back on.
  • If more than one green dot helmet is detected on the field by the game officials, the result is a live ball 5-yard equipment violation penalty, and this penalty initiates a conference review.
  • On free kick plays, the coach-to-player communications will not be in effect. There is no limitation to the number of green dot helmets for either team during free kick plays.

King Haynes. Is

Coach to player communications through the helmet is permissive in 2024 for the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) based on the following guidelines:
  • Only one player may be on the field per team at a time with radio receiving capability and the player must be identified by an unbranded green dot on the back midline of the helmet.
  • Coach-to-player communications will be cut off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds or at the snap, whichever comes first. When the play clock resets to 25/40, the communications will be turned back on.
  • If more than one green dot helmet is detected on the field by the game officials, the result is a live ball 5-yard equipment violation penalty, and this penalty initiates a conference review.
  • On free kick plays, the coach-to-player communications will not be in effect. There is no limitation to the number of green dot helmets for either team during free kick plays.
thats what I noticed was king struggling to hear into his helmet from the coaches. Trying to cup his hands over earholes of helmet to hear the entire call.

I actually think this makes the advantage better as long as the fans know when to be loud. If the QB can't hear the play being called it may force other teams to burn a timeout and then go to hand signals which they may not have been practicing all week.

King is a very good QB, but he will have a major struggle trying to hear his helmet audio over the Dome crowd!
the helmet communication is overrated. these kids have been getting plays from the sideline their whole lives it's not going to matter. The crowd noise will matter but i wouldn't place to much emphasis on the helmet stuff.

the helmet communication is overrated. these kids have been getting plays from the sideline their whole lives it's not going to matter. The crowd noise will matter but i wouldn't place to much emphasis on the helmet stuff.
I heard this discussed on many shows the last few weeks with coaches. Many said they have spent less time on the signs because of the new tech. FSU spent a lot of time huddling and slowing the pace which is great, but once you get to the last 15 secs and have to change plays and such noise still matters.

Yeah I feel like if we had them later we’d get em but it’s just too early
I feel the opposite I think we beat Ohio U. With a very basic vanilla offense and defense, and then unleashed the hounds on GT. That would give us an early indication on some of our strengths and weaknesses. I’m hoping to have a packed house and we show the country what we are all about.

Hard to get a read on GT

All the talk all week was DJU, how much talent FSU had to help him, and how great the FSU oline was.

Then they realized they had a QB that can't throw 5 yds down the field and didn't want to run to help plays succeed.

GT played like last year. They hustle to the ball on D. The QB is an athlete not a QB, but they have good skill guys who you have to control, and they use misdirection to try to get guys in space.

They ended up 330 yds of offense. But they held a bad FSU offense to 280

GT is a team that fed off the end of yr that only happened because Miami had the brain fart that got them to 6 and a bowl game

But maybe FSU D is good holding them to 330 and 24.

If we hold them to 24, we win. I don't know that our D will be that good, but I hope our offense isnt that bad.

I’m fully on the FSU is bad train. My guess? They’re going to be 6-6 this year and this game will be looked at as a fleeting highlight for GT versus a big win, GT is okay and I’m sure they’ll go bowling but I dont expect them to be anything special

I’m fully on the FSU is bad train. My guess? They’re going to be 6-6 this year and this game will be looked at as a fleeting highlight for GT versus a big win, GT is okay and I’m sure they’ll go bowling but I dont expect them to be anything special
I’m not questioning your judgement. I’m sure you know far more than I, and probably even watched the game. I just find it odd that if Georgia lost to Mississippi State in game one, all SEC fans - and the sports media - would proclaim that The bulldogs simply ran into a MSU team who is much better than expected. That Georgia is still a top 10 team at least, and MSU has to be in the Top 15 discussion.

The same in the B1G. If Michigan lost to Purdue in week 1, it doesn’t diminish the Wolverines hardly at all. It just means Purdue is much better than expected, and this is the year they compete for the league title. And how much depth the B1G has.

The ACC and its fans have an inferiority complex. Whether GT is good or not, will be proven over time. In the interim, the league should be promoting every team. Perception becomes reality.

I’m not questioning your judgement. I’m sure you know far more than I, and probably even watched the game. I just find it odd that if Georgia lost to Mississippi State in game one, all SEC fans - and the sports media - would proclaim that The bulldogs simply ran into a MSU team who is much better than expected. That Georgia is still a top 10 team at least, and MSU has to be in the Top 15 discussion.

The same in the B1G. If Michigan lost to Purdue in week 1, it doesn’t diminish the Wolverines hardly at all. It just means Purdue is much better than expected, and this is the year they compete for the league title. And how much depth the B1G has.

The ACC and its fans have an inferiority complex. Whether GT is good or not, will be proven over time. In the interim, the league should be promoting every team. Perception becomes reality.
I don’t really agree with that honestly, bottom tier teams are bottom tier teams regardless of the conference and top teams who lose to them early are traditionally treated as disappointments. Maybe you get the benefit of the doubt with Georgia, Ohio state and Alabama but that because it’s earned through consistent success. Florida state has seen some success the last two years but that’s coming off an awful 7 year stretch

I can't say I see that all as apples to apples. FSU had 4 consecutive losing seasons prior to these last two (1 was .500 if you don't count the bowl game). Over that same time period Georgia has lost a total of 9 games. Their worst record was 8-2 during the covid season. Their last losing record was 2010. They've had eight 10 win seasons the last 10 years. Michigan's success has been similar. They had a losing 2-4 record during covid and another losing record the year before Harbaugh got there but have had six 10 win seasons the last 10 years. Those teams have built up a bit more credibility than FSU, similar to the way Clemson made the playoff a couple times despite losing a game mid season when they had things rolling.

I think watching the FSU offense absolutely roll Tech on the ground on that first drive and then struggle to put points on the board when Tech packed the box on D made an impression. It’s fair to say if that continues they are a 500 team at best.

DJU was not terribly successful on long throws - sometimes because Tech was getting to him with pressure. That defensive pressure is a formula other teams will copy against FSU and the best way to break out of that is for DJU to connect on those long throws. If he does then it opens things up a bit. But he wasn’t showing much ability to do that.

Yep. We were talking about this here weeks ago. He did decent at the lowest stress P4 you can find after flaming out at Clemson. How the writers/coaches could rank FSU a top 10 preseason team with him at QB is beyond me.
We have to stop their running game, especially Haynes.

Georgia Tech quarterback Haynes King was 11-of-16 through the air for 146 yards, but it was Tech's running game that allowed them to keep the ball away from FSU's offense.

The Yellow Jackets averaged 5.3 yards per carry on their 36 rushes and totaled 190 yards on the ground. Jamal Haynes was Tech's top rusher with 11 carries for 75 yards. King had 54 yards on 15 carries, while Chad Alexander had 41 yards on seven carries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eightballs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom