GT is going to be a huge problem | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

GT is going to be a huge problem

There is precedent here though. In 2014 MSU started the season unranked. Started 3-0 and was still not ranked headed into week 4 vs LSU. Bear in mind they played 3 tomato cans so still unranked. Week 4 they beat number 8 LSU to catapult to #12. It can and does happen.
True, week 4 versus week 1 though. LSU had beaten a top 15 wisconsin in week 1 so they at least had some success on paper unlike FSU. Week 1 games are crapshoots more or less

The big issue, imo, is GT's OL and them controlling the clock.

On O, we should be multiple/balanced enough to score because GT's D is ok at best. But what can't happen is we have them be a road grader over us and get chunks and drain the clock.

If Haynes King hits a couple of verticals, so be it, but we have to push them to have to get the ball in the air.

GT had 146 yards on 16 attempts passing. Slowed the game down to where I think each team only had like seven possessions each or something crazy.

The big issue, imo, is GT's OL and them controlling the clock.

On O, we should be multiple/balanced enough to score because GT's D is ok at best. But what can't happen is we have them be a road grader over us and get chunks and drain the clock.

If Haynes King hits a couple of verticals, so be it, but we have to push them to have to get the ball in the air.

GT had 146 yards on 16 attempts passing. Slowed the game down to where I think each team only had like seven possessions each or something crazy.
I think you need to make them beat you over the top. They will have a couple monster gains by doing that, but if you can stuff the run packages then we will be in a better spot. Easier said than done with a mobile QB. This game is huge. Both programs are “on the rise” and need a win. GT won’t overlook Cuse and vice versa. I think we close in on a sell out of the dome when we stomp Ohio. GT hopefully will be ranked like 20-25th when they come in and create more hype.

I think you need to make them beat you over the top. They will have a couple monster gains by doing that, but if you can stuff the run packages then we will be in a better spot. Easier said than done with a mobile QB. This game is huge. Both programs are “on the rise” and need a win. GT won’t overlook Cuse and vice versa. I think we close in on a sell out of the dome when we stomp Ohio. GT hopefully will be ranked like 20-25th when they come in and create more hype.

Agreed. The other thing with Haynes throwing deep... opportunity for INTs.

If we get to the point where we've stuffed the run and contained (within reason) Haynes from breaking the pocket, you take your chances with jump balls in the secondary. May the best man win.

I don't think it will be a blow out just because of the clock situation if GT is trying to pound the ball.

One note, we better win special teams. I'm so tired of having a Dome and not having dominant specials.

Agreed. The other thing with Haynes throwing deep... opportunity for INTs.

If we get to the point where we've stuffed the run and contained (within reason) Haynes from breaking the pocket, you take your chances with jump balls in the secondary. May the best man win.

I don't think it will be a blow out just because of the clock situation if GT is trying to pound the ball.

One note, we better win special teams. I'm so tired of having a Dome and not having dominant specials.
We can take the run away and not give them anything over the top. Make them beat us with midrange passing. Make them move the ball through the air not on the ground and keep everything in front and we will be ok. This is a team that i don't think you gamble on play them straight up. Nothing easy

3 things for success against GT. DL gap control and push, GT QB not super fast needs to be accounted for i.e. Barron Gould spy. Finally Singleton contained doubled up. Got to hit harder and tackle better than FSU did.

True, week 4 versus week 1 though. LSU had beaten a top 15 wisconsin in week 1 so they at least had some success on paper unlike FSU. Week 1 games are crapshoots more or less
Totally agree just saying it can happen is all

The only place GT has a significant size advantage is their two starting DT’s, pair of big kids.

On the OL SU’s first 10 average 319, 6-5. GT is 309, 6-4.

FSU has their biggest guys inside at Guard, SU at tackle. Interesting match up if they can control GT’s edge pressure.

3 things for success against GT. DL gap control and push, GT QB not super fast needs to be accounted for i.e. Barron Gould spy. Finally Singleton contained doubled up. Got to hit harder and tackle better than FSU did.
GT QB runs 4.5 40. Was a track guy in HS. Was a 5 star in HS. He's a stud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eightballs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom