GT is going to be a huge problem | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

GT is going to be a huge problem

I can't say I see that all as apples to apples. FSU had 4 consecutive losing seasons prior to these last two (1 was .500 if you don't count the bowl game). Over that same time period Georgia has lost a total of 9 games. Their worst record was 8-2 during the covid season. Their last losing record was 2010. They've had eight 10 win seasons the last 10 years. Michigan's success has been similar. They had a losing 2-4 record during covid and another losing record the year before Harbaugh got there but have had six 10 win seasons the last 10 years. Those teams have built up a bit more credibility than FSU, similar to the way Clemson made the playoff a couple times despite losing a game mid season when they had things rolling.
Maybe Georgia was a bad example. Perhaps I should have said a Ranked SEC team. It’s just how those leagues are treated.

I can see GaTech getting votes, not ranked

I can see FSU dropping to like #22

Hopefully they come to the dome September 7th 2-0 and ranked in the top 25 and we have a sellout crowd and pull out a nice win.
They will be ranked, heard they impressed a lot of people that were high on FSU

I think watching the FSU offense absolutely roll Tech on the ground on that first drive and then struggle to put points on the board when Tech packed the box on D made an impression. It’s fair to say if that continues they are a 500 team at best.

DJU was not terribly successful on long throws - sometimes because Tech was getting to him with pressure. That defensive pressure is a formula other teams will copy against FSU and the best way to break out of that is for DJU to connect on those long throws. If he does then it opens things up a bit. But he wasn’t showing much ability to do that.
I believe with any team you need to take away their strength. Don't go half as ed.. take away something. I don't care what sport it is. Take away the one thing they do the best and you will have a chance to win. GTs coach when interviewed said RUN THE BALL. If we make King beat us through the air, we might lose but if we don't take away the ground game, we probably will have a tougher game. If it's a shootout my money is on Kyle. TAKE AWAY THE RUN.

We have to stop their running game, especially Haynes.

Georgia Tech quarterback Haynes King was 11-of-16 through the air for 146 yards, but it was Tech's running game that allowed them to keep the ball away from FSU's offense.

The Yellow Jackets averaged 5.3 yards per carry on their 36 rushes and totaled 190 yards on the ground. Jamal Haynes was Tech's top rusher with 11 carries for 75 yards. King had 54 yards on 15 carries, while Chad Alexander had 41 yards on seven carries.
spot on

Wow what an OLine they have. Let's schock the world!
We have seen practices and a spring game. We don't know anything quite yet but we have individual talent and size, how do they congeal as a team and unit we need to see over the next two weeks. I just see them coming out and really hammering Ohio right out the gate. Key for us is to clean up the stupid and avoidable penalties this year, don't give the refs added reason to lose us a game.

FSUs offensive approach was crap. After their first drive GT loaded the box and did FSU try throwing on 1st down? Not that I saw. Nothing between the hashes because they didn’t trust the qb to attack the middle of the field.

Need to work underneath and intermediate with the TEs and Peña

I believe with any team you need to take away their strength. Don't go half as ed.. take away something. I don't care what sport it is. Take away the one thing they do the best and you will have a chance to win. GTs coach when interviewed said RUN THE BALL. If we make King beat us through the air, we might lose but if we don't take away the ground game, we probably will have a tougher game. If it's a shootout my money is on Kyle. TAKE AWAY THE RUN.

Right there with you on this

I can see GaTech getting votes, not ranked

I can see FSU dropping to like #22
I think they get some votes but you are right, who do they jump it week 0. Votes for sure and may be ranked week 2 when they come here

We almost beat them without a QB. Unless we lay an egg simple because out pieces are too new I like us.

We have to stop their running game, especially Haynes.

Georgia Tech quarterback Haynes King was 11-of-16 through the air for 146 yards, but it was Tech's running game that allowed them to keep the ball away from FSU's offense.

The Yellow Jackets averaged 5.3 yards per carry on their 36 rushes and totaled 190 yards on the ground. Jamal Haynes was Tech's top rusher with 11 carries for 75 yards. King had 54 yards on 15 carries, while Chad Alexander had 41 yards on seven carries.

Haynes is like Dungy. Mostly a running QB. Shrader was a better passer when he wasn't hurt (which, admittedly, was about the 2nd half of each season).

FSU may not be elite but GT demonstrated they are at worst a competent football team and Syracuse has struggled with those teams over the years. Hopefully Fran can change that.
I'm not sure what game I watched but what I saw was an excellent college QB. He is going to be very hard to beat. We've got our hands full.

Maybe Georgia was a bad example. Perhaps I should have said a Ranked SEC team. It’s just how those leagues are treated.
Yeah. That makes sense. And for the record, I felt dirty defending the SEC. I hated them before moving here, but now living in SEC country makes me hate them more than I ever thought I would.

They were saying on the broadcast how much bigger (NFL like) Fla State’s line was compared to GT, then poof.
DJU is a clown. Expecting pitchforks in Tallahassee any day now.

I don’t really agree with that honestly, bottom tier teams are bottom tier teams regardless of the conference and top teams who lose to them early are traditionally treated as disappointments. Maybe you get the benefit of the doubt with Georgia, Ohio state and Alabama but that because it’s earned through consistent success. Florida state has seen some success the last two years but that’s coming off an awful 7 year stretch
There is precedent here though. In 2014 MSU started the season unranked. Started 3-0 and was still not ranked headed into week 4 vs LSU. Bear in mind they played 3 tomato cans so still unranked. Week 4 they beat number 8 LSU to catapult to #12. It can and does happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eightballs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom