GTech 100% Capacity + Tailgating This Fall | Syracusefan.com

GTech 100% Capacity + Tailgating This Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today’s announcement basically ends the speculation that the dome won’t be normal in the fall. The only question is whether they’ll force fans to be vaccinated, which will be a bitter fight over the next month or so.

With 60% of New Yorkers have gotten a shot so far I also think it'll be full capacity this fall

Today’s announcement basically ends the speculation that the dome won’t be normal in the fall. The only question is whether they’ll force fans to be vaccinated, which will be a bitter fight over the next month or so.

They'd have an interesting time proving or enforcing vaccination. Also would have to allow for religious exemptions. Pretty much has to be all or nothing

Not so fast, I heard Cuomo isn't ready to relax the mask rules

Yes. This is true.

but not so fast!

brewers association sent in a letter demanding immediate action and clarity (yes we’ve already had people coming in saying they aren’t wearing masks because they are vaccinated and the CDC says they don’t have to.). If the mask mandate isn’t over turned due to the new cdc guidelines the talk between the state legislators is that they will repeal the executive order.

could be a very interesting battle the next couple days.

I would expect that when Cuomo goes to full capacity on May 19th that he will drop the mask mandate on that date as well.

I think SU will stick to you have to be vaccinated. Best case they might reserve a couple sections in the end zone for unvaccinated patrons or require a Covid test to sit in regular sections. People will complain but so be it. SU I figure has a few weeks to figure it out.

A trend I like to see...

I bet the Dome will be 100% too by the opener
Should probably point out the announcement the CDC made yesterday, which I think paves the way for no masks for anyone vacccinated attending athletic events (even indoors).

This is great news for Syracuse fans. I don’t think we are going to see different rules for the dome and outdoor venues now.

How will it affect policies at athletic venues on game day? I think this removes a major road block that would have prevented many fans from attending games. Wearing a mask isn’t comfortable under the best of circumstances. Requiring people to wear one for a 3 or 3.5 hour football game would surely affect attendance.

There will be pressure from the vaccinated fans to allow them to watch the games from their seats with their masks off and if they are told they have to wear them regardless, it is going to be a major problem.

I am sure Syracuse (and every other college that plays football) will want to allow vaccinated and unvaccinated fans to attend games. As of today, right about 50% of the US population has had at least 1 vaccination shot. Rates are slowing though and surveys indicate it will be increasingly hard to get the holdouts on board. By September, I would be surprised if we have even 75% of the population vaccinated.

So SU and all the other football schools are going to have to make a tough choice.

Limit attendance to vaccinated fans. Other than a check for proof of vaccination and maybe a temp check at entry, I think the game experience would be a normal one. No mask, normal food availability, 100% capability, no social distancing. You lose 25% of your market but the vaccinated fans are very happy.

Allow anyone who wants to attend but require everyone to have to wear masks and implement social distancing restrictions. At the dome, if social distancing is required, because it is an indoor venue, I doubt it will ever reach more than 50%. I think right now for graduation they are set up for around 12%. My guess is that we would be looking at capacity limited to 25%, which is going to be about 12K.

Entry would be further slowed because the non-vaccinated people would have to show proof of negative tests, which adds more complexity to the entry process. If we take what the Syracuse Mets have done as a model, the cost for the tests would be low, or maybe ‘free’, but fans would have to arrive at the venue hours early to get tested and await the results. I put free in quotes because the testing would of course be expensive, and of course all fans would be expected to pay for the tests for the people who have chosen to not get vaccinated.

This to me is the worst possible solution. Fans who have been vaccinated would feel angry and bitter at the sacrifices they have to make to accommodate the fans who refuse vaccination. I could see some refusing to wear their mask all game long. I could see bitterness and anger towards the unvaccinated fans.

Why even consider this? If the university allows unvaccinated fans into the venue, they have to have a reliable way of ensuring they wear masks the entire time they are inside. You can’t easily identify the vaccinated fans from the unvaccinated ones so this is a way of satisfying the powers that be that things are being done correctly.

The third option I see is one where fans are segregated based on their vaccination status. The unvaccinated fans would have to sit in special sections of the venue where the rules are much different from the sections where the vaccinated fans sit. The unvaccinated sections would have to wear a mask unless eating or drinking. Social distancing would be in effect for these sections. I could see where they might have to enter and leave from a specific gate and the sections of the stadium where they sit would be blocked off from the rest of the stadium, to keep them away from the vaccinated fans.

I know the Mets and Yankees have announced plans to do segregation (though I haven’t seen a lot of details on how this will be achieved).

If you don’t block off the stadium into 2 pieces based on vaccination status, I think you have to give the vaccinated fans a wrist band or some other means of identification (maybe they get a different color of band than the unvaccinated fans) so when fans enter a section, it can be determined if they belong there or not.

This solution will require more overhead, more security, a much more active presence monitoring tickets when fans arrive at a section, but I think it is doable. It would cost the most to implement and would be a nightmare to administrate for an embattled SUAD that is remarkably understaffed and underfunded.

The thing I find interesting is that at least initially, the Yankees and Mets are not making a lot of sections for the vaccinated fans, and the sections reserved for them, especially for the Mets, are nosebleed sections.

As more fans get vaccinated, the option to limit attendance to vaccinated fans only becomes more attractive. It will be interesting to monitor how the Mets and Yankees handle segregation between now and the end of the season, as I think it has implications for SU football. If the baseball teams go to vaccinated fans only by August, SU will surely follow. I suspect SU will delay making any announcements for as long as possible in the hopes that they can go with option 1.

Cuse should just be 100% with mandatory proof of vaccination. Attending sports games is a privilege. Earn it and do your part to end this pandemic. If all the SEC schools required it, the South would run out of doses.

They'd have an interesting time proving or enforcing vaccination. Also would have to allow for religious exemptions. Pretty much has to be all or nothing
I thought that as well. No way they will accept paper cards. There are a lot of fakes going’s around. The ny vaccine passport uses a digital database that has all the vaccine information which can’t be faked and also has a barcode that can be scanned.

Cuse should just be 100% with mandatory proof of vaccination. Attending sports games is a privilege. Earn it and do your part to end this pandemic. If all the SEC schools required it, the South would run out of doses.
Agree. The amount of misinformation that is out there in regards to the vaccines is crazy and people eat it up like facts. Make it so air travel and games need vaccinations and this is over in a month.

Agree. The amount of misinformation that is out there in regards to the vaccines is crazy and people eat it up like facts. Make it so air travel and games need vaccinations and this is over in a month.
People seek out information from shaky or flat out fraudulent sources that will “validate” what they already want to believe, and think that they’re “doing their research”.

NYS has the Excelsior Pass that you can only get if you're vaccinated and the state has a record of it .

Not so fast, I heard Cuomo isn't ready to relax the mask rules

He and NY Statw are reviewing the new CDC guidelines. They just haven't made a decision yet. Connecticut is lifting their mandate May 19th. NY NJ Conn act in relation to eachother so its likely just a matter of time. Local businesses here in Syracuse are preparing too. I'm fully vaccinated so is my fiance. Some local businesses once you walk in with no mask and if they come up and ask u you will have to show proof of vaccination so thet are suggesting you have it on your phone to show if you are asked. Other businesses are saying it's going to be tough to ask question everybody who walks in and come and goes so going to be a honor system. Story was on local news here. But area businesses are preparing and local health department and county have already told people they dont have to wear a mask unless they are not fully vaccinated or unless they want too.

Should probably point out the announcement the CDC made yesterday, which I think paves the way for no masks for anyone vacccinated attending athletic events (even indoors).

This is great news for Syracuse fans. I don’t think we are going to see different rules for the dome and outdoor venues now.

How will it affect policies at athletic venues on game day? I think this removes a major road block that would have prevented many fans from attending games. Wearing a mask isn’t comfortable under the best of circumstances. Requiring people to wear one for a 3 or 3.5 hour football game would surely affect attendance.

There will be pressure from the vaccinated fans to allow them to watch the games from their seats with their masks off and if they are told they have to wear them regardless, it is going to be a major problem.

I am sure Syracuse (and every other college that plays football) will want to allow vaccinated and unvaccinated fans to attend games. As of today, right about 50% of the US population has had at least 1 vaccination shot. Rates are slowing though and surveys indicate it will be increasingly hard to get the holdouts on board. By September, I would be surprised if we have even 75% of the population vaccinated.

So SU and all the other football schools are going to have to make a tough choice.

Limit attendance to vaccinated fans. Other than a check for proof of vaccination and maybe a temp check at entry, I think the game experience would be a normal one. No mask, normal food availability, 100% capability, no social distancing. You lose 25% of your market but the vaccinated fans are very happy.

Allow anyone who wants to attend but require everyone to have to wear masks and implement social distancing restrictions. At the dome, if social distancing is required, because it is an indoor venue, I doubt it will ever reach more than 50%. I think right now for graduation they are set up for around 12%. My guess is that we would be looking at capacity limited to 25%, which is going to be about 12K.

Entry would be further slowed because the non-vaccinated people would have to show proof of negative tests, which adds more complexity to the entry process. If we take what the Syracuse Mets have done as a model, the cost for the tests would be low, or maybe ‘free’, but fans would have to arrive at the venue hours early to get tested and await the results. I put free in quotes because the testing would of course be expensive, and of course all fans would be expected to pay for the tests for the people who have chosen to not get vaccinated.

This to me is the worst possible solution. Fans who have been vaccinated would feel angry and bitter at the sacrifices they have to make to accommodate the fans who refuse vaccination. I could see some refusing to wear their mask all game long. I could see bitterness and anger towards the unvaccinated fans.

Why even consider this? If the university allows unvaccinated fans into the venue, they have to have a reliable way of ensuring they wear masks the entire time they are inside. You can’t easily identify the vaccinated fans from the unvaccinated ones so this is a way of satisfying the powers that be that things are being done correctly.

The third option I see is one where fans are segregated based on their vaccination status. The unvaccinated fans would have to sit in special sections of the venue where the rules are much different from the sections where the vaccinated fans sit. The unvaccinated sections would have to wear a mask unless eating or drinking. Social distancing would be in effect for these sections. I could see where they might have to enter and leave from a specific gate and the sections of the stadium where they sit would be blocked off from the rest of the stadium, to keep them away from the vaccinated fans.

I know the Mets and Yankees have announced plans to do segregation (though I haven’t seen a lot of details on how this will be achieved).

If you don’t block off the stadium into 2 pieces based on vaccination status, I think you have to give the vaccinated fans a wrist band or some other means of identification (maybe they get a different color of band than the unvaccinated fans) so when fans enter a section, it can be determined if they belong there or not.

This solution will require more overhead, more security, a much more active presence monitoring tickets when fans arrive at a section, but I think it is doable. It would cost the most to implement and would be a nightmare to administrate for an embattled SUAD that is remarkably understaffed and underfunded.

The thing I find interesting is that at least initially, the Yankees and Mets are not making a lot of sections for the vaccinated fans, and the sections reserved for them, especially for the Mets, are nosebleed sections.

As more fans get vaccinated, the option to limit attendance to vaccinated fans only becomes more attractive. It will be interesting to monitor how the Mets and Yankees handle segregation between now and the end of the season, as I think it has implications for SU football. If the baseball teams go to vaccinated fans only by August, SU will surely follow. I suspect SU will delay making any announcements for as long as possible in the hopes that they can go with option 1.
There are many interesting points here. This is a sports forum, but seeing many of these same questions addressed for concerts. Bands are itching to get back touring, and tons of them are announcing shows over the past weeks. Even big festivals.

Then you get into the private sector vs. public sector, and legality of everything. Is it legal to force someone for proof of vaccination? It will almost certainly be tested in the courts at some point. On the flip side, if a privately owned venue has a COVID outbreak, someone could sue and say the policies were unsafe, or not enforced properly. It's very tricky, and my guess is private venues will err on the side of caution and totally ask for proof of vaccination.

Overall, looking at the big picture, all this should incentivize people to get vaccinated, and get people off the fence. Some will still refuse and likely challenge the restrictions in various ways.

By the time football season rolls around, we should be through much of the trail/error associated the policies mentioned by Tom. I'm hopeful they will figure it out and people can enjoy the season.

It would seem with vaccines opening up to adolescents, and maybe 10% of the population having antibodies from recovery we could push 80% immunity. That might be enough to just open up. (Near herd immunity) still have 31/2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom