Guerrier 2021 Draft | Syracusefan.com

Guerrier 2021 Draft

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
If he develops his spot up/perimeter game, is he our first 1st round pick since Lydon?

Hear me out man. Per 40 in conference he’s averaging 15 and 10, and if the coach’s aren’t filthy liars..he’s got perimeter capabilities that may develop next year.

When a programs down putting a Canadian kid, who got significant PT his frosh year, in the first round can be a big help in recruiting.

I think Quincy’s capable. Size may work against him if he just stays a post/inside 15 ft presence.

i am not sure about first round. I would like to see him start with just a mid range game. Back to the basket catch the ball at the foul line, turn around square up and consistently hit that shot over his defender. That’s if I’m the coach at least. Once he starts showing me he can do that, then turn him lose to shoot threes. If he could shoot 33% from three, have a solid mid range game, that then opens up his driving game. Paired with how we know he bullies people down low. He may be able to be a late first rounder. Depends on how good we are next year.

At his size there are two things he badly needs to develop.

1- a consistent shot. His footwork is very poor as he struggles to get set. He is also pushing it vs letting it roll off the fingers.

2- A stronger handle. While he can bully his way down low at times, he is still limited in ability to take his man off the dribble. He doesn't need to have guard handles but something similar to Marek is going to be necessary at his size. If he can consistently shoot better and be a threat to take his man off the bounce he most certainly has a chance.

I have faith he has a j that just needs polishing. He’s shooting over 70% from FT in conference play.

i see a higher upside CJ Fair.

If he develops his spot up/perimeter game, is he our first 1st round pick since Lydon?

seems to work really hard. I would imagine he spends the off season working on the mid range and long distance game. If he can pair that with his intensity underneath and ability to drive on bigger defenders maybe. Needs to keep his priority banging inside since that gets everything started.

Cuse!

One thing unsaid: he's not very athletic. Big frame, sure, but he's not a good leaper and he's not unusually fast. And he's probably 6'6".

So...no. I'm optimistic he'll improve as a college basketball player, but draft talk was kind of strange last summer and is even stranger now that we've seen him play like 25 games.

Also, how funny was it that during crunch time he made a D-U-M-B backward pass to Dolezaj in the corner after an inbound, 25,000 people knew it was a dumb pass, Boeheim brought him over for a little animated instruction...and then on the next possession he did the same thing?

I wasn't even mad, it was just funny (it was also funny that my mother said "I haven't played basketball since CYO ball in 1965 and I know you don't ever make that pass"). And I kind of felt bad for him.

One thing unsaid: he's not very athletic. Big frame, sure, but he's not a good leaper and he's not unusually fast. And he's probably 6'6".

So...no. I'm optimistic he'll improve as a college basketball player, but draft talk was kind of strange last summer and is even stranger now that we've seen him play like 25 games.

Also, how funny was it that during crunch time he made a D-U-M-B backward pass to Dolezaj in the corner after an inbound, 25,000 people knew it was a dumb pass, Boeheim brought him over for a little animated instruction...and then on the next possession he did the same thing?

I wasn't even mad, it was just funny (it was also funny that my mother said "I haven't played basketball since CYO ball in 1965 and I know you don't ever make that pass"). And I kind of felt bad for him.

We’ve finally got a strong kid that gets things done through strength, effort, grit, and a high motor and people are running him off to the NBA like he’s a stud. Lol.

Quincy is the kid from Jamie Dixon Pitt that goes 6-2 against us in his career and feels like he’s there for 10 years, and inspires message board rants about how much we hated that guy 10 years after he graduated. Just enjoy finally having a guy like that, Orange fans!

We’ve finally got a strong kid that gets things done through strength, effort, grit, and a high motor and people are running him off to the NBA like he’s a stud. Lol.

Quincy is the kid from Jamie Dixon Pitt that goes 6-2 against us in his career and feels like he’s there for 10 years, and inspires message board rants about how much we hated that guy 10 years after he graduated. Just enjoy finally having a guy like that, Orange fans!

And -- credit to Boeheim or credit to Guerrier, I don't know -- he's being used property. No square peg in a round hole here, they're just asking him to play garbage man and work hard on defense. And he's more or less responded. It's nice to see, since too often this type of player is asked to do too much and is wildly inefficient as a result.

I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm for Guerrier, and I really like Q's potential as a college player. To my eye, he still has a long way to go to be an above average ACC level talent. Let's see how much he develops before tossing around 1st round projections. Lydon was a much more polished player at both ends of the floor and the same stage, and he was 6-9.

Im not running anyone off. I see a hardworking kid who came in with a skillset and has improved weekly since turning off a lot of the fan base in the out of conference.

He’s got time to develop a handle and improve his strength further, and speed.

He gets an outside shot he’s got draft potential and pro upside.

I understand and appreciate your enthusiasm for Guerrier, and I really like Q's potential as a college player. To my eye, he still has a long way to go to be an above average ACC level talent. Let's see how much he develops before tossing around 1st round projections. Lydon was a much more polished player at both ends of the floor and the same stage, and he was 6-9.
I think he’s more comparable to CJ, Kris and Roberson. All of whom spent time on projection boards. Yes, Tyler did too.

All 4 year college guys...

True, but you think If quincy averages 13 and 9 next year he’s outside of draft talk? Not unreasonable, statistically speaking, and the likelyhood only goes up alongside tournament chances. Its a different time.

he already garnered projections before stepping foot on a court.

Sidenote I believe the tourney’s unlikely next year.

This thread is terrible.
No threads terrible it’s a public forum.

this prospect had draft buzz before stepping foot on a court. He’s an undersized post presence that per Jim Boeheim has an outside game that hasn’t translated to in game action.

If that appears in his sophomore year then who’s to say what today’s NBA wants.

Guerrier 2021 Draft?

I am a big fan of the absurd, so I'm loving this thread.

Right now Guerrier is not even really a diamond in the rough, he is more of a rough in the rough.
He has definitely improved this year, no doubt. Shows good grit and desire. But all facets of his
game needs a lot of work. Also agree with a previous poster who pointed out QG is not particularly
athletic . . . and that is of course on a relative scale. He is clearly an athlete, it is just in comparison
to NBA level athleticism he is not very athletic.

That said, I expect he will come back his soph year greatly improved. He has the makings of a very
good college player, just don't expect him to be in the NBA for more than a cup of coffee, whenever
that is, before winding up overseas.

I love him, I'm glad we have him, I hope I'm wrong, but that is what I see as the realistic future
for Quincy Guerrier. Go Cuse, go Quinc

I could see Quincy becoming a star player someday. He's improved a lot during the course of this year and had a dramatic drive to the hoop for a bucket in the first half yesterday. He can get around people and change hands to get a good shot up and has a soft touch on the lay-ups. if that jump shot makes an appearance in game,s he could be quite a player. He needs a lot of polishing yet but what's undeneath could sparkle.

i think as a coach you would have to prepare for the possibility he leaves next year.

Im not running anyone off. I see a hardworking kid who came in with a skillset and has improved weekly since turning off a lot of the fan base in the out of conference.

He’s got time to develop a handle and improve his strength further, and speed.

He gets an outside shot he’s got draft potential and pro upside.

I mean...if he’s still gotta develop a handle and an outside shot - why would the NBA be interested?
True, but you think If quincy averages 13 and 9 next year he’s outside of draft talk? Not unreasonable, statistically speaking, and the likelyhood only goes up alongside tournament chances. Its a different time.

he already garnered projections before stepping foot on a court.

Sidenote I believe the tourney’s unlikely next year.

If he was 6’9 and jumped out of the gym with all the measurables the NBA scouts go nuts over, maybe.

As far as I know he’s about 6’6, with solid college athleticism. He’s not Jerami Grant athletically/measurable wise.

I’m trying to think of another forward we had that left early beyond McCullough(6’10-6’11) , Carmelo(GOAT freshman), and Donte Greene(6’9, long, 3 point range).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom