Gun to my head predictions... | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

We had two 5th year Seniors who understood the zone. Plus, Gbinije was an awesome offensive player. Our guards next year are Howard/Battle/Gillon
Plus we only have 1 more shooter on the roster in Tyler Lydon.

I am realist I have faith JB knows how to coach but this roster right now is flawed. We don't have enough scoring and we have really struggled to score recently.

I am fine with Malachi going but it is clear the staff had no replacement or plan B lined up as our mystery recruit is not a guard.

This team will not contend for an ACC title it will likely make the tournament but we will be up and down again next year that is the frustration.

Too early to state that definitively.

Lots of question marks heading into next year? Sure. But generally, our question marks tend to be answered positively.
  • How good is Gillon, and what will he bring to the table as a playmaker / scorer / shooter?
  • How much improvement will Howard show, now that he's got the experience of a final four run where he played tons of important minutes under his belt?
  • How good is Battle?
  • Is Battle a transcendent offensive talent, as some posters [Tomcat, Jake, Iommi] have suggested?
  • Now that Coleman has proven he can stay healthy, how much will he be able to improve this offseason now that his focus isn't on getting back to square one?
  • Will Roberson start to knock down that mid-range jump shot?
  • Will Roberson take it up a notch senior year, maybe in the 13-14 ppg range?
  • How much of a difference maker will Chukwu be on defense for this squad?
  • Will we force a lot of turnovers with improved team quickness that lead to run outs?
  • Will Gillon's quickness / ability to penetrate lead to easy scoring opportunities inside for Lydon / Chukwu / Roberson / Coleman that we didn't get last year?
  • Will this team get more easy scoring opportunities in transition a la the 2012 squad, helping to overcome some perceived offensive limitations?
  • How much stronger will Lydon get over the offseason, and will this help him establish a low post game that he showed flashes of last year?
  • Will Lydon make the sophomore jump?
  • What will Moyer bring to the table?
  • Is Moyer a starting caliber player who gives the team a true 3?
  • Will JB unleash the press more often, after how effective it was in last year's NCAA tournament, and with a true shotblocker patrolling the back end next year?
  • Does the mystery man emerge as an actual recruit candidate?
Tons of questions, but I wouldn't be surprised for a lot of the things if not the vast majority or even all of them getting answered favorably next year.

Will we contend for the ACC title? Hard to say. But if only a couple of things fall into place, this team could be a LOT better than what you are suggesting. I believe that wholeheartedly. Now, would I have preferred for Malichi to come back? Abso-freaking-lutely. But I don't think the sky is falling for next year's squad.

Our best teams often seem to coalesce when people don't seem to give them credit. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see this be a top 5 type of ACC team, with lots of upside for the postseason. We'll also have much better depth, much better size.

Last edited:
Malachi leaving isn't the problem. Again I support that kid going Chad Ford has him 13th on his board he could go late lottery.
I am frustrated we aren't filling this roster out.
We have 3 bleeping openings and that is already 2 less than everyone else.

This staff should have atleast more active in the grad transfer market or taken a true transfer just for roster stability down the road.

I do think Lydon and Howard will improve but 4 of our 8 scholarship players next year will give us next to nothing offensively Chuwku, Coleman, Moyer, Roberson. That is just scary. We struggled offensively with Gbinije, Cooney, Richardson, Lydon, Roberson.
We will likely struggle with Gillon, Battle, Lydon, Roberson, Chuwku as well.

Even if JB only plays 8 guys having 3 additional guys for future development is important for our future. JB has 2 more years and I just don't see us being anything more than just a hopeful tournament team. That is disappointing l.

Alsacs said:
Malachi leaving isn't the problem. Again I support that kid going Chad Ford has him 13th on his board he could go late lottery. I am frustrated we aren't filling this roster out. We have 3 bleeping openings and that is already 2 less than everyone else. This staff should have atleast more active in the grad transfer market or taken a true transfer just for roster stability down the road. I do think Lydon and Howard will improve but 4 of our 8 scholarship players next year will give us next to nothing offensively Chuwku, Coleman, Moyer, Roberson. That is just scary. We struggled offensively with Gbinije, Cooney, Richardson, Lydon, Roberson. We will likely struggle with Gillon, Battle, Lydon, Roberson, Chuwku as well. Even if JB only plays 8 guys having 3 additional guys for future development is important for our future. JB has 2 more years and I just don't see us being anything more than just a hopeful tournament team. That is disappointing l.

There will be an alibi again next year when Roberson plays poorly and JB says he wouldn't play him if he had someone else.

Malachi leaving isn't the problem. Again I support that kid going Chad Ford has him 13th on his board he could go late lottery.

This staff should have atleast more active in the grad transfer market or taken a true transfer just for roster stability down the road.

I do think Lydon and Howard will improve but 4 of our 8 scholarship players next year will give us next to nothing offensively Chuwku, Coleman, Moyer, Roberson. That is just scary. We struggled offensively with Gbinije, Cooney, Richardson, Lydon, Roberson.

Even if JB only plays 8 guys having 3 additional guys for future development is important for our future. JB has 2 more years and I just don't see us being anything more than just a hopeful tournament team. That is disappointing l.
The team as constituted now will struggle to score at times but promises to be much better in transition than last season, and has guards who should be able to feed the post, and drive and dish more effectively. I could easily envision Coleman at 8 ppg and Roberson going for 10-12 ppg, which would be more than nothing.

but 4 of our 8 scholarship players next year will give us next to nothing offensively Chuwku, Coleman, Moyer, Roberson.
you're putting these things out there so definitively, like you just know it will be the case. How do you know one or more of these guys won't provide legit offensive production? I think it's borderline absurd (or at the very least glaringly defeatist) to claim none of those 4 will give us anything on O. Geez dude, maybe step away from the board for a bit and regain some perspective.

In other words, Battle is the Alpha Dog you just said this team is lacking.

I'm saying I think he fills the void, but he lacks the judgment that a year in the system and a run to the Final Four would have given him - like Malachi had.

Would you prefer freshman Dion (i.e. Battle) or sophomore Dion (i.e. Mali)?

Last edited:

They are not casting a wide enough net with recruiting. It's like we target 10 guys early in a class and those are the only guys we talk to, and hopefully we keep the interest and close on 2 or 3 of them each year. That's our strategy. Now, I don't want to be like Kevin Ollie and have 25 offers out at a time, but there has to be a medium, where your offer is still "valuable" but you have enough targets that you have two equal choices for one spot, not one good one, and one that's an emergency situation (David Patrick, James Thues, Greg Davis, Billy Celuck, Lasean Howard, Ron Patterson, BJ - just too skinny to ever make it here, although a talented kid with a great dad). But come on, we're freaking Syracuse! How hard can it be to fill the damn roster???

They are not casting a wide enough net with recruiting. It's like we target 10 guys early in a class and those are the only guys we talk to, and hopefully we keep the interest and close on 2 or 3 of them each year. That's our strategy. Now, I don't want to be like Kevin Ollie and have 25 offers out at a time, but there has to be a medium, where your offer is still "valuable" but you have enough targets that you have two equal choices for one spot, not one good one, and one that's an emergency situation (David Patrick, James Thues, Greg Davis, Billy Celuck, Lasean Howard, Ron Patterson, BJ - just too skinny to ever make it here, although a talented kid with a great dad). But come on, we're freaking Syracuse! How hard can it be to fill the damn roster???
dude, you need to slow down with all this crap. we are sanctioned. WE ARE SANCTIONED. everyone wants to act like is doesn't matter but it does. we have had like 5 years straight of the negative press between the sanctions and the BF bullshit. like it or not it matters. the program was going to be hurt, and it has been. it matters. just stop it.

I'm saying I think he fills the void, but he lacks the judgment that a year in the system and a run to the Final Four would have given him - like Malachi had.

Would you prefer freshman Dion (i.e. Battle) or sophomore Dion (i.e. Mali)?

Why does it have to be Dion? Why can't it be Melo or GMac or Ennis or even Malachi?

Two months ago, we didn't have any. There's not much to choose from once the season is over and two of your bench players decide to transfer. Now you're asking the remaining top level prospects to commit to a team that already has a set rotation. And if JB signs a couple of two/three star warm bodies just for the sake of filling out the roster, people will complain about that, too.

It's amazing. Half the fan base doesn't think Richardson is first round material, now we've got a contingent stating his absence takes us from a title contender to a bubble team. And I'll bet a good portion of these fans fall into both camps.

Two months ago, we didn't have any. There's not much to choose from once the season is over and two of your bench players decide to transfer. Now you're asking the remaining top level prospects to commit to a team that already has a set rotation. And if JB signs a couple of two/three star warm bodies just for the sake of filling out the roster, people will complain about that, too.

It's amazing. Half the fan base doesn't think Richardson is first round material, now we've got a contingent stating his absence takes us from a title contender to a bubble team. And I'll bet a good portion of these fans fall into both camps.

Both of which can be true, Malachi might not be a first round draft pick, and had he come back it would have been huge. He would have been one of the best players in the country.

Both of which can be true, Malachi might not be a first round draft pick, and had he come back it would have been huge. He would have been one of the best players in the country.
So now we're throwing logic and reason out the window. Think about what you're saying. Next year's draft is expected to be deeper than this year's. And you think a second rounder in 2016 would have been one of the top players in the country next season? Do you understand why that doesn't make any sense?

It appears to be very hard. Amazing how we cant get anyone that can ball , with multiple scholarships available

So now we're throwing logic and reason out the window. Think about what you're saying. Next year's draft is expected to be deeper than this year's. And you think a second rounder in 2016 would have been one of the top players in the country next season? Do you understand why that doesn't make any sense?

Yes one year to the next players improve their game. Look at Buddy Hield and Kris Dunn. I don't see what is so hard to understand.

I'm actually confident next year's team will be better offensively than this past year's. The only real ? for me is the defense at the top of the zone - but I'm confident that: Battle will adjust quickly, Frankie will have worked his butt off over the off-season, and Gillon's quickness/experience will make up for his lack of height.
Care to make a gentleman's bet about top-5 ACC?

I'll make a cash bet if you'd like.

While we technically may not have had any available, anybody who didn't see Kaleb leaving is blind.

I'm sure Chin gave some sort of notice as well.

While they were inconsistent freshman at times both Lydon and Richardson were candidates to go.

There seemed to be no contingency plan even though there always seemed to be at least one spot open, which was Kalebs.

lmao some of the reactions and off-season "takes" around here are just really something else :rolleyes:

OMG OMG WE DIDN'T GET A RECRUIT WE WANTED WE'RE GOING TO SUCK!!!!!

Wait... We didn't get a recruit we wanted, who we didn't know existed three weeks ago, we're going to suck!!!

There fixed.

Yes one year to the next players improve their game. Look at Buddy Hield and Kris Dunn. I don't see what is so hard to understand.
Players can also have sophomore slumps. Richardson was fairly one-dimensional and one of the streakiest shooters we've ever had. Went 0-11 from three against St. John's that contributed greatly to the worst loss of the season. Fortunately for us he happened to strike fire against a great Virginia team in the regional final.

Who really knows what we would have gotten out of Richardson next year? Maybe he peaked in the NCAA's and would have struggled in a more prominent role. No one knows for sure. Some here need to stop pretending they're Nostradamus.

Players can also have sophomore slumps. Richardson was fairly one-dimensional and one of the streakiest shooters we've ever had. Went 0-11 from three against St. John's that contributed greatly to the worst loss of the season. Fortunately for us he happened to strike fire against a great Virginia team in the regional final.

Who really knows what we would have gotten out of Richardson next year? Maybe he peaked in the NCAA's and would have struggled in a more prominent role. No one knows for sure. Some here need to stop pretending they're Nostradamus.

I doubt if Malachi had come back that he would have been anything other than sensational. The UVA game was so huge for his success. I think the UVA game was a life changing event. He's not going to come down from that effort or forget it.

I think what's really amazing is how well Malachi navigated the pre-draft waters. I think his posturing and not playing in the 5 x 5's really helped him. A lot of the draft is about potential. He's certainly created his own buzz. If he goes in the first round it will be an amazing self-hyping job!

Gbinije was an awesome offensive player.
Was he awesome? Very good, yes. 'Awesome' seems to be a convenient use of hyperbole for the sake of making his loss and next year's prospects seem worse than it is, imo.

I love me some Silent G and he was by far the best and most valuable player on what turned out to be a Final Four team. But he wasn't Melo.

As well as he played for us offensively in the regular season (17.5 ppg, 4.2 apg, .392 from 3) I wouldn't call it awesome. He was most valuable in keeping the team's head above water but he did struggle having to carry the team on his back (hence the 13 losses).

And it wasn't until his teammates stepped up to ease the pressure in mid-March that the team finally reached the next level. Cooney stopped forcing so many shots and in turn was more efficient, Richardson got hot, Roberson crashed the boards, and the team ultimately won with defense.

In what was the team's best five-game stretch of the season (the final 5 games in the Tourney) G shot 24% from 3 (including a combined 0-9 in the Elite 8 and Final Four) and 38% from the floor overall.

A very good player and a great representative of the school and community. But he's not an irreplaceable talent.

Before selection Sunday no one thought we would make the toruney. Then we made it to the final four. JB and the staff know what they are doing. I am sitting back waiting on another player or two and then will be excited to see the team next year. We will be competitive we will have the pieces to make a run. Enjoy it.

Not sure cherry picking seven recruits over twenty years boosters your argument.

Hell all but BJ and Buss pre - 2000.

Not sure cherry picking seven recruits over twenty years boosters your argument.

Hell all but BJ and Buss pre - 2000.
If anything the staff's recruiting the last five or six years has been too good. They're landing guys who are expected to be 3-4 year developmental players (Carter-Williams, Ennis, Grant, Richardson) who instead blow up and leave after one or two years. The unexpected turnover hurts the depth of the roster and people are yelling at the staff about it. It's insane to me.