Gun to my head predictions... | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

When Battle is getting a rest? I imagine 10 minutes per game you will have Howard and Gillon paired up.

I should have done a better job clarifying it, I meant Jb won't play Howard, Gillon, and Battle at the same time.

Our 8 man rotation is already set. Any other additions will be gravy.

I don't understand all of the crying in this thread.

We lack shooters. We supposedly had a lot of them last year. Now we've got one - Lydon - and maybe another in the new guard from Colorado State, Gillon, although he slumped last year in shooting percentage as he become more integral to the offense. That's not good enough. That's why Mali staying in the draft really hurts us, again.

Coleman is going to much better offensively than anybody here is stating. It is very obvious that he has been progressing and with a full season and off season to work on everything, he will make a big leap. I see him as an AO type guy offensively next year. Maybe not the shooting pct, but the consistent ability to gain position and score in the post. Roberson also should be a beast. I am making the assumption that his motor will be on more often than not and he will have a little bit more offensive confidence. Howard is also going to be good. Players improve! It will be ok.

Coleman is going to much better offensively than anybody here is stating. It is very obvious that he has been progressing and with a full season and off season to work on everything, he will make a big leap. I see him as an AO type guy offensively next year. Maybe not the shooting pct, but the consistent ability to gain position and score in the post. Roberson also should be a beast. I am making the assumption that his motor will be on more often than not and he will have a little bit more offensive confidence. Howard is also going to be good. Players improve! It will be ok.

He has no lift anymore. He will continue to get it packed down low. He will continue to use pump fakes to try to make up for his lack of explosiveness.

Let's hope JB doesn't read this thread or he might realize the situation is hopeless and announce he is retiring immediately.

I'll take it a step further. I think our best lineup with the current roster construction is:

Howard
Gillon
Battle
Lydon
Chuwku

I wish I was more confident in Roberson contributing more offensively next year, but unless he makes some kind of Rick Jackson/Rakeem Christmas senior year improvement, I see him losing minutes to some of the new guys.

We need somebody to provide some post game. It may turn out to be Frankie Howard and John Gillon throwing lobs to Chukwu, who was pretty good at throwing them down around the rim for Providence. Or maybe Matt Moyer has some inside moves or the ability to work the baseline and get behind a defense, like Ryan Blackwell used to do. Roberson is pretty good on the pick and roll with the slip pass, but that's about it for him offensively except for his put-backs.

Offensively I guess it's Lydon/Roberson/Battle/Gillon/Howard

Defensively, it's Lydon at the 3 with Chuwku/Roberson/Battle/Howard.

Either way I struggle to see how we are good.

Yeah, that's a team that's lacking an alpha dog. I think Lydon will be good, but I think Battle is going to be a big part of the offense. I'm worried about how low a percentage he's going to shoot from the floor. I see him as a volume shooter guy, but he lacks the outside shot of Mali.

Yeah, that's a team that's lacking an alpha dog. I think Lydon will be good, but I think Battle is going to be a big part of the offense. I'm worried about how low a percentage he's going to shoot from the floor. I see him as a volume shooter guy, but he lacks the outside shot of Mali.
Not the Alpha Dog nonsense again...

Let's hope JB doesn't read this thread or he might realize the situation is hopeless and announce he is retiring immediately.
I mean, it's pretty clear we're going to be occupying the cellar with BC. Worst team ever on the hill.

Not the Alpha Dog nonsense again...

Somebody has to have the confidence to take a shot when the clock is winding down. Lydon deferred a lot last year. He's not ready to be our leading scorer, but he's ready to be a #2 guy, IMO. That's why I think Battle is going to dominate the ball at times. I just hope his decision making is good. I'm afraid of another guy who just uses us to audition for the NBA and doesn't buy into the team concept, like Donte Greene or Chris McCullough.

Somebody has to have the confidence to take a shot when the clock is winding down. Lydon deferred a lot last year. He's not ready to be our leading scorer, but he's ready to be a #2 guy, IMO. That's why I think Battle is going to dominate the ball at times. I just hope his decision making is good. I'm afraid of another guy who just uses us to audition for the NBA and doesn't buy into the team concept, like Donte Greene or Chris McCullough.

In other words, Battle is the Alpha Dog you just said this team is lacking.

Just so people don't go overboard. Even with all this crap Syracuse at worst will be a bubble team. However the name of the game for a program like Syracuse is Final Four and National championship.

We aren't winning a NC with this roster. Thus expectations become lowered and that is the frustration. Nobody thinks JB should retire or we will be with BC in the basement. It is just kiss contending away and just enjoy making the tournament.

Just so people don't go overboard. Even with all this crap Syracuse at worst will be a bubble team. However the name of the game for a program like Syracuse is Final Four and National championship.

We aren't winning a NC with this roster. Thus expectations become lowered and that is the frustration. Nobody thinks JB should retire or we will be with BC in the basement. It is just kiss contending away and just enjoy making the tournament.

Thats the frustration of it all, we were close to having a national title roster, perhaps Jb's last shot at one, and its not going to happen.

Eight players and each one has a significant upside. Obviously you have to avoid injury in that situation and be a bit creative in practice but the pieces are there as is.
Three keys: Frankie needs to be at least a threat to hit a jump shot.
Robey must be plugged in every night.
D.C. needs to be a consistent low post presence. Not talking Rak good but 10 and 7 good.

Those three factors get us to a Sweet Sixteen caliber team. The first year X factors determine how much farther we can go.

Oh, and you're right. I didn't mention Lydon. Already have Rico locked in as a 16 and 8 guy. Surest bet on the board.

Briancuse said:
Thats the frustration of it all, we were close to having a national title roster, perhaps Jb's last shot at one, and its not going to happen.

We rarely get the kid who says, "I''m sticking around because I'd like to see Coach get another title."

We rarely get the kid who says, "I''m sticking around because I'd like to see Coach get another title."
Maybe JB can recruit Chip Hilton.

look man you're one of the top posters on here and I always value your input and contributions. but I really think you're looking at next year WAY too negatively. I'd say that, basically, you're looking at each "if" possibility with a worst-case-scenario lens:

If Frank Howard develops more of an offensive game...
If Matt Moyer is a solid freshman contributor...
If Tyler Roberson continues his upward trajectory...
If Tyler Lydon picks up where he left off, playing his natural position, while also developing a semblance of a handle...
If Tyus Battle contributes as least as much as Richardson did...
If Chukwu is a defensive negator in the lane...
If Gillon is a legitimate offensive threat and is satisfactory on defense...

Now, that's just 7 items off the top of my head. None of them are in any way far-fetched or difficult to imagine. I'd say that if 5 or more of those "Ifs" come to fruition we'll be a very good team that finishes top-5 in the ACC. Of course, if 4 or more of them don't happen (which is what you're apparently going with) - then, yes, it will be a disappointing season. To me, though, there's every indication that my scenario is more likely than yours - which is why I'm as bullish as I am.
:)

look man you're one of the top posters on here and I always value your input and contributions. but I really think you're looking at next year WAY too negatively. I'd say that, basically, you're looking at each "if" possibility with a worst-case-scenario lens:

If Tyler Lydon picks up where he left off, playing his natural position, while also developing a semblance of a handle...

Now, that's just 7 items off the top of my head. None of them are in any way far-fetched or difficult to imagine. I'd say that if 5 or more of those "Ifs" come to fruition we'll be a very good team that finishes top-5 in the ACC. Of course, if 4 or more of them don't happen (which is what you're apparently going with) - then, yes, it will be a disappointing season. To me, though, there's every indication that my scenario is more likely than yours - which is why I'm as bullish as I am.
We had two 5th year Seniors who understood the zone. Plus, Gbinije was an awesome offensive player. Our guards next year are Howard/Battle/Gillon
Plus we only have 1 more shooter on the roster in Tyler Lydon.

I am realist I have faith JB knows how to coach but this roster right now is flawed. We don't have enough scoring and we have really struggled to score recently.

I am fine with Malachi going but it is clear the staff had no replacement or plan B lined up as our mystery recruit is not a guard.

This team will not contend for an ACC title it will likely make the tournament but we will be up and down again next year that is the frustration.

We had two 5th year Seniors who understood the zone. Plus, Gbinije was an awesome offensive player. Our guards next year are Howard/Battle/Gillon
Plus we only have 1 more shooter on the roster in Tyler Lydon.

I am realist I have faith JB knows how to coach but this roster right now is flawed. We don't have enough scoring and we have really struggled to score recently.

I am fine with Malachi going but it is clear the staff had no replacement or plan B lined up as our mystery recruit is not a guard.

This team will not contend for an ACC title it will likely make the tournament but we will be up and down again next year that is the frustration.
I understand your frustration. But we have also had a long history of guys improving a lot from one year to another. I think Lydon will be a first team all acc player. you probably do as well. Now it gets tricky. I would not be surprised if we didn't see a big jump from Coleman. If he gets a chance. This past year was tough for him having been out for two years. Having said that, we need the mystery guy. We will have to change the offense but we would have a potent offense team with lydon, mystery, battle . If Gillon gives them what they think he can, we would just fine.

My friend: you just won the If game. No one has ever done that up until now.
No whammies, no whammies and stop. A new car!
hqdefault.jpg