Gun to my head predictions... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

It's funny to me how people use "I want him to stay as a fan of the program" while at the same time there are other supposed fans that dump on our kids publicly.

This is where the justification trap gets you. It is what I was talking about in my post. Some people feel they need to justify why they think the kid should stay and in the process, they end up trashing him to "prove" he isn't ready. I think there is a lot less malice in it that it may appear to the kid who is deciding, but the result looks the same.

Well, not much we can do about it if he's got his mind made up. This lends creedence to what Iommi, Dasher, and Jake have been saying for several days.
yep, but just kind of odd there's been nothing on him working out for a team or anything like that - this is sounding like a team is satisfied enough with what they saw out of him this season to use their 1st round pick on him - again, odd

yep, but just kind of odd there's been nothing on him working out for a team or anything like that - this is sounding like a team is satisfied enough with what they saw out of him this season to use their 1st round pick on him - again, odd

Agree on both counts, very odd.

I thought that the combine would be the line of demarcation, but it sounds as though the reports that this kid has his mental bags already packed seem to be true.

I thought that the combine would be the line of demarcation, but it sounds as though the reports that this kid has his mental bags already packed seem to be true.
oh no doubt - but this news coming today that he doesn't have to participate in the 5-on-5 is an entirely different thing

This is what today feels like.
FA_03_29_ShoeDrop_DV_20100329093949.jpg

Yes I think it's more that than he's necessarily already got a first round promise.

if the odds are truly 15% - why drop hints and get our hopes up if in all likelihood it won't be a reality? Just seems like it would have been better to wait until things are more settled. Don't get me wrong - I love good news and the prospect of anticipating good news- but when the odds are this low it just seems counterproductive... especially when things are clouded in mystery and we have overactive imaginations.
Just like our chances for a Final Four this year .. :D

Why would you want to lose a good player?

So the NEXT good player(s) can see that they can be successful here, and also move on to the next level?

Nobody dreams of playing college sports.
They dream of being a Pro.

We want to be a part of that path for as many good players as possible.

So the NEXT good player(s) can see that they can be successful here, and also move on to the next level?

Nobody dreams of playing college sports.
They dream of being a Pro.

We want to be a part of that path for as many good players as possible.

Who is the next guy who is going to score at least 13 ppg next year?

Who is the next guy who is going to score at least 13 ppg next year?

Tyus Battle, perhaps?

Or Lydon?
We do ok with the "Two and thru" guys also.
(Dion, MCW, Grant)

And then hopefully Hami and Quade the following year?

Why would you want to lose a good player?

Dude, if you're going to be a college ball fan, you have to wrap your head around this: it's about the kids - it's not about us. We should root for our guys to succeed at the next level - regardless of how long they are here.

Kid probably just got a guarantee that he's going to be multi-millionaire in a few weeks. Let's be happy for him.

What do you make of him skipping the 5on5?

Definitely unusual. He must feel pretty solid about his draft position [which again, runs counter to what the majority of credible sources are suggesting about how the first round shapes up].

I've figured that the combine would be highly informative, and that this data would yield analysis that the NBA draft committee would provide, which would in turn inform his decision making process and enable the kid to make a decision based upon a objective data [as opposed to an emotionally impulsive decision, or one based upon agents pumping him with inaccurate info]. That would fit with the kid not hiring an agent.

In actuality, I believe [emphasis on that] that the kid became enamored with the possibility of going pro after declaring and has decided that he wants to go earn some $$$. This "decision" may or may not be supported by what the NBA thinks of him. Fortunately has not hired an agent yet, and the upcoming combine will either support his belief that he's ready and the time is now, or give him a tequilla shot dose of reality that his stock isn't that high.

Not sure what he'll do if the latter happens, but as of now--perhaps the most important factor is that he hasn't hired an agent, which makes a return possible.

What do you make of him skipping the 5on5?

He's gone no matter what, pretty much. Just not sure he got a promise, or he just decided he doesn't want to go back to school.