Gun to my head predictions... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

He's gone no matter what, pretty much.
ok but here's where I get confused - you said above that it's not that he's received any kind of guarantee but instead that he is just going no matter what - if that's the case, and he would still need to prove himself as much as possible, why on earth would he skip out of the scrimmages? something doesn't add up here...
traditionally, who has skipped these things or only gone for measurements/interviews? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's guys who are lottery locks (and who have agents advising them) and foreign players who can't make it there... so What is Malachi doing??

Dude, if you're going to be a college ball fan, you have to wrap your head around this: it's about the kids - it's not about us. We should root for our guys to succeed at the next level - regardless of how long they are here.

Kid probably just got a guarantee that he's going to be multi-millionaire in a few weeks. Let's be happy for him.

Its about the program, once again we get screwed by early entry. Jb's last chance at a title might have just gone out the window.

Richardson would have been one of the most dynamic players in the country next year, there is not replacing that.

I don't disagree, with him back we would be a top 10 ranked team that could remain there wire-to-wire.

I was just responding to your question about who on the team [sans Mali] could average 13+ ppg.

Richardson would have been one of the most dynamic players in the country next year, there is not replacing that.

Lydon and Battle are going to be projected as first round picks next year, so if that's not dynamic, I'm not sure what is.

We are terribly void of shooting though.

NBA scouts have seen enough of him that they don't need to see him in a 5 vs 5.
as opposed to all the other guys that scouts have seen a ton of? why aren't a bunch of players skipping it?

Lydon and Battle are going to be projected as first round picks next year, so if that's not dynamic, I'm not sure what is.

We are terribly void of shooting though.

We would have had Battle and Lydon in addition to Richardson, and we lost our 2nd best shooter, theres no way to sugarcoat this one.

We would have had Battle and Lydon in addition to Richardson, and we lost our 2nd best shooter, theres no way to sugarcoat this one.

I agree, but we need to move on. We can still be elite, but we need to be better defensively.

ok but here's where I get confused - you said above that it's not that he's received any kind of guarantee but instead that he is just going no matter what - if that's the case, and he would still need to prove himself as much as possible, why on earth would he skip out of the scrimmages? something doesn't add up here...
traditionally, who has skipped these things or only gone for measurements/interviews? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's guys who are lottery locks (and who have agents advising them) and foreign players who can't make it there... so What is Malachi doing??

That's a fair point. I don't know about that.

Ehh, if he got that first round guarantee and teams/scouts are telling him that the 5on5 isn't necessary, then it's bittersweet. I hope he crushes it at the next level. Really, I do. The NBA as a product doesn't interest me much, but I always find myself checking in on our players once they make the move, hoping that they're all succeeding. Those guys -- almost to a man -- always pull for and represent the program long after they've left and that has value for the brand, our recruiting and the program in general. There's nothing to suggest that Mali won't be one of those program alums.

But I'm completely empathetic with that portion of the fan base that will think about what could have been had (it feels like we're speaking about this in the past tense now) he returned. It's really hard not to when you root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Seriously, though. Who is the mystery recruit and when is Omer committing?

I am tired of being screwed over by early entry.
Wasn't the NBA in talks about requiring college players to stay 2 years? Whatever happened to those rumors. Even one additional year would be a godsend. Until then... we should keep this handy when we get bent over...

Vaseline.gif~c200

Last edited:
Wasn't the NBA in talks about requiring college players to stay 2 years? Whatever happened to those rumors. Even one additional year would be a godsend.

They need to wait till the next collective bargaining agreement comes up, whenever that is.

Why would you root for one of our players to do poorly?
Because we are selfish? I'm sure we can think of worse qualities in an individual. Regardless, it doesn't matter at this point. The only thing that would bring him back is if the NBA players union went on strike effective immediately... or if next season was cancelled because of a World War. Unfortunately, Trump wouldn't be in office soon enough to make a difference here.

Last edited:
How would you enforce a two year college minimum? Suppose the player doesn't maintain high enough gpa to remain eligible and/or doesn't go to class, etc. Would they just have to sit ? I'm not disagreeing with the idea, just wondering how it would work if these types of issues arose.

I don't get an NBA team unless its Atlanta or Boston with 3 first round picks giving this kid a promise without seeing him in the 5 on 5.

I mean Malachi hasn't shown he can be a man to man defender. In the 5 on 5 atleast NBA teams could see him guard NBA caliber draft picks.
I mean its obvious he is gone but he had to be given a promise not to 5 on 5.

How would you enforce a two year college minimum? Suppose the player doesn't maintain high enough gpa to remain eligible and/or doesn't go to class, etc. Would they just have to sit ? I'm not disagreeing with the idea, just wondering how it would work if these types of issues arose.

The same way they enforce the current rule?

Why is it such a longshot, before the combine has even started? I could understand if he had a great combine, but what happens if he doesn't?

Maybe he doesn't like being in Syracuse, going to class and playing for free. Believe it or not Syracuse isn't the holy grail to all basketball players.

This is what sucks so bad about college hoops and why we harp on the 80s and 90s when guys stayed and the game and personalities were so much better.

The kid played in a zone and isn't even gonna get worked out in an NBA game situation.