Guys are playing more minutes than their production justifies | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Guys are playing more minutes than their production justifies

Braswell at the least deserves more Minutes. He would give us more athleticism and he is a threat where Marek isn’t. Marek still can’t score.
Marek should not be playing this much for a program of SU’s stature. Love the kid. Want him around. Not for 30+ minutes. His profile: does everything average but score (major negative) and pass (plus).

Free Braswell. He might not be the answer, but his athleticism, shooting ability and defensive instincts will help some nights.

Last edited:
I thought practice, not games, is where you develop players.
Exactly my thought. Developmental minutes shouldn’t exist in games against power 5 teams unless we’re up big or down big. Not many teams in college hoops have the depth to develop players deeper down the bench without skipping much of a beat.

It’s frustrating that it’s more of the same since 2015. And honestly it’s not worth it to invest any more time than a few minutes to the check the score periodically on my phone.

If that’s entitlement then I guess I’m entitled.

Marek is a 10 to 15 minute role player on a good team. He's forced into starter's minutes because this team has no one else. He just can't compete at this level with that physique

Here’s an idea: get better players and then they can play more and we can finally get off the bubble after 6 straight years of this crap
Good idea.

How we going to do this? What’s the plan?

On offense Hughes, Girard and Dolezaj(despite 2 boards) all make others around them better. I am ok with them having over 30 because of it. Girard needs to continue to be aggressive off the bounce, and refrain from playing tentative safe ball with the handle. He had 9 assists tonight, and it takes so much stress off of Hughes who had 28 tonight.

Defensive team shot 55% against a offensive team who shot 32%. Will be a blowout every night.
Girard was not tentative, he did not drive in among the trees because he can't finish over them. He needs to develop a floater. Every team will force him to drive and finish over size.

Last edited:
Can we all agree at this point that Marek is just not very good? I mean he's a fine energy guy in spots, but he's unbelievably weak, has almost zero offensive game (partly because he almost never looks for his own shot) and would never play the minutes that he plays now on a Syracuse team of old. I really wish some of his minutes would go to Braswell, who is more athletic, a better shooter (who actually looks for his shots) and has proven that he can be aggressive on the glass.
Still bugs me that Marek just hasn't committed to getting bigger and stronger.

It’s frustrating that it’s more of the same since 2015. And honestly it’s not worth it to invest any more time than a few minutes to the check the score periodically on my phone.

If that’s entitlement then I guess I’m entitled.

I’ve caught bits and pieces of games since the UVA debacle. Hard to justify sitting and watching whole games that are just crapfests against anything resembling capable competition.

Scoring 100 against below average mid majors doesn’t blow my skirt up.

Both work. Why else would Goodine and Guerrier be playing?

Foul trouble? Rest for starters?

From what I have seen of Gruerrier, the amount of playing time he would need to become a polished player would require him to play continuously.

Still bugs me that Marek just hasn't committed to getting bigger and stronger.

Offseason injuries don't help, but even without them, it's possible that he's just one of those guys who can't add weight, like Warrick. Regardless, I'm not sure how much added weight would make him better. He's skinny, unathletic and doesn't have much of an offensive game. As was mentioned prior, about the only plus skill he has is his passing ability.

Offseason injuries don't help, but even without them, it's possible that he's just one of those guys who can't add weight, like Warrick. Regardless, I'm not sure how much added weight would make him better. He's skinny, unathletic and doesn't have much of an offensive game. As was mentioned prior, about the only plus skill he has is his passing ability.
Yeah, I don't buy it. He needs more weight to compete against bigger guys and not get bounced around like a pinball.

He was bad tonight.

Foul trouble? Rest for starters?

From what I have seen of Gruerrier, the amount of playing time he would need to become a polished player would require him to play continuously.
so you basically agree that the coaching staff has failed to build a roster with any depth ?

Yeah, I don't buy it. He needs more weight to compete against bigger guys and not get bounced around like a pinball.

He was bad tonight.

He does need more weight, but at this point, it ain't happening. I feel like if you don't add a good amount of weight between freshman and sophomore years, then you're gonna be about the same size. So he's going to continue to get bullied around inside. I really hope that we can see Braswell get some more minutes, but I'm not holding out hope because JB trusts Marek and doesn't seem to think too highly of Braswell.

so you basically agree that the coaching staff has failed to build a roster with any depth ?

I think this is a very young team and that it is very early in the season.

I think that the same “fans” who are frustrated and angry after losses are giddy after wins.

I think the coaching staff is as good as any in college basketball. It’s a tough business with a tremendous amount of competition for talent and a great challenge to accurately assess .how kids will work out in college.

I think it’s easy for fans to sit in their family rooms with a 1/2 empty bag of Cheetos in front of them and complain bitterly about hOw the coaching staff, the players, the AD, the student section and the University have let them down.

I think this is a very young team and that it is very early in the season.

I think that the same “fans” who are frustrated and angry after losses are giddy after wins.

I think the coaching staff is as good as any in college basketball. It’s a tough business with a tremendous amount of competition for talent and a great challenge to accurately assess .how kids will work out in college.

I think it’s easy for fans to sit in their family rooms with a 1/2 empty bag of Cheetos in front of them and complain bitterly about hOw the coaching staff, the players, the AD, the student section and the University have let them down.

I've not been giddy for what feels like many years with this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom