Handful of players with Quality D1 talent... | Syracusefan.com

Handful of players with Quality D1 talent...

bothsocksup

Starter
After watching yesterdays game and watching games around teh country, i realized that this team really is under talented... especially on the lines. I started thinking about players on our current team that could suit up for any team in the country and fit right in..

1. Keon Lyn- Lyn in my opinion is as good a corner as we have had in years. Physically he has the look and while he does get beat here and there, recievers often times do not make the play. I think Keon is a serious talent and his confidence seems to be growing by the game

2. Chandler Jones- Jones is a playmaker, and made a really telling and impressive stop on yesterdays reverse. He gets doubled alot, and seems to be becoming more of a bullrusher than an explosive freeney type of pass rusher. In fact I was hoping he'd become a George Selvy type, but is becoming bulkier year after year. Hes got some talent and IMO could play end for any team in the BE

3. Jay Bromley- Young and forced into action as a true frosh, I see signs of Bromely becoming a beast in the middle. IMO the DT's are what seperates the high level D1 teams and the average ones. The fact that the SEC DT's have size and a mean streak, make em jump off the screen when you watch the games on TV. Bromley seems to have some of those qualities. Good size, and a good demeanor. I think if Crume can develop we could have a pair of really stout DT's.

4 Pugh- Pugh rarely gets beat by his counterpart. Good size and room to grow.

well...thats sorta it. Pre season and pre injury I would have put Shamarko up here. At times early in the year he looked like a Bob Sanders game changing type, but just hasnt developed. In fact he is a liability in pass coverage and hasn't dominated the LOS as a run blitzing safety. Same goes for Spruill.. Hes got the look and size, and the freshman year to boot. However after a good showing early in the year, Spru has fallin off the map for me. I'm thinkin next year things slow down for these guys once again, and they are able to play at a high level.

As you watch other games, you see we are way short of playmakers at WR and wingback; also very limited at LB; and overall we lack bulk in the lines (apart from Tiller). Bailey could play for a lot of teams. With another year to grow up, Davis will be a good LB. Spruill is a tad small to be the MLB, but might do fine if moved back outside -- say, if Myles Davis can really play. Sharmarko is certainly willing -- he also is a tad small for what he is being asked to do.

Sorry - the talent to compete in the Big East is there, the coaching and game planning has not been. Yes - SU's talent is not up to the level of the 6th place SEC team - but it is on par with most of the Big East that kicks its ass on a weekly basis. Have you checked the schedule from this year - the only team to play into the "SU's talent is way worse" is USC. SU beat WVU - dominated them -so how bad can these guys be versus the peer Big East teams? Talent is a cop out - SU is not playing in a conference where it is way behind.

Sorry - the talent to compete in the Big East is there, the coaching and game planning has not been. Yes - SU's talent is not up to the level of the 6th place SEC team - but it is on par with most of the Big East that kicks its ass on a weekly basis. Have you checked the schedule from this year - the only team to play into the "SU's talent is way worse" is USC. SU beat WVU - dominated them -so how bad can these guys be versus the peer Big East teams? Talent is a cop out - SU is not playing in a conference where it is way behind.

Talent is the biggest problem, followed by depth, then coaching.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

1st player that comes to mind that supports your point- Mike Hay.

Don't know if you knew this, but he went to CW Post (a D-II school) before transferring to Nassau and then SU. He was serviceable at times, but his limited talented showed constantly over the last two seasons.

i thought he was a major get... came down to us and ASU. Interesting that he was at post before that.

We just look a little slow, and a little overmatched at times. It becomes more noticeable when our guys are a bit down on themselvs and dont seem to be giving thier best effort. What happened to the camera club. We used to fly to the ball on defense, and now it seems like if the first guy misses, the swarm is 4 or 5 yards away.

Talent is not the problem in a horrible Big East - DM's recruits have had better offers than most of GROB's recruits - he hasn't developed them. SU plays a terrible schedule - Vandy won 6 games with less talent and a more difficult schedule.

I crack up when people on this board criticize Vandy. They have more talent than any, I repeat any team, in the BigEast. They happen to compete in the toughest football conference in the country. Unless you have gone to a FB game at Bama, LSU, etc, you can't believe the difference. Vandy has 5 guys playing for the Bears, with assorted players on other teams. I know no one follows Vandy, but they have a first year coach, James Franklin, who will be SEC coach of the year, lost three games in the last minute to GA, Ark, and SC. Only lose 8 Srs this year of which only five start. For those who believe in the star ranking system of HS players, Franklin came in and signed 4-4* guys before signing day last year, and this year currently has the 21st ranked class by Rivals, with visits still to come by 5* QB Blair Kiel and assorted 4* like Diamond and Diggs. They demolished Wake yesterday 41-7, now going to a bowl. The adminstration is so fired up, they are giving contract extension after one year with commitments to upgrade the facilities. Now, I love the Cuse, but is any of this happening here with Marrone. If it was, we would be slobbering over ourselves.

2 learn as you go head coach's can ruin a program-

just look at us

Right Richard L. Vandy has alot of talent and it has to do with region of course, somewhat. but franklin is a great coach and tireless recruiter, i watched them play Florida and they battled and battled, they are well coached and believe in franklin for sure. it will be fun to rout for them in the coming years in the SEC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom