Hanna Strong | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hanna Strong

CusefanATL said:
which means that a video basically ruins her life. and according to a lot of people close to her that are black, she isn't even remotely a racist. No way she gets kicked off if she just says the 'f' slur. This world is cold sometimes. pretty crazy to me that a word (and its important to note that not a racist person) gets her kicked off. Yet people steal computers, credit cards, rapists, and drug dealers/users don't. It is just so insane to me what people/administrators/media decide to place such harsh emphasis on and how it is just accepted.

A video didn't ruin her life. First, her life isn't ruined by being kicked off the team. Second, it wasn't the video, it was her words.

A video didn't ruin her life. First, her life isn't ruined by being kicked off the team. Second, it wasn't the video, it was her words.

But those words are OK for blacks, but not whites. i could show you 100 tweets of black athletes saying literally the exact 2 words. at the same time - i do think she should face some repercussions... but to get kicked off the team!?!!?

If she only hangs out and dates blacks, and by all indications - thats the case - thats rough.

And we are talking about words! Not actual feelings. Like I have said - words don't make someone a racist. Only actions. She (according to those who know her best and are black) is not a racist.

So we are kicking someone off of a team for saying words. Im sorry, but that is dead wrong.

Donald Sterling was more than likely actually a racist. There is a HUGE difference in these cases.

and kicking a senior of off a team for all intensive purposes ruins her life. She can no longer put the 1 thing she has put her heart and soul her entire life into on her resume... otherwise they are going to ask questions or google and will ruin her job opportunities.

all for words. all for 1 mistake.

we aren't talking stealing, we aren't talking rape, we aren't talking murder.

Posted by dasher in a duplicate thread...that I deleted.

I have known Hanna's dad all of my life. She made a misake and said something that she shouldn't have. Something that almost every member of our football has said in the last 2 months. She didn't rob a store like our pt guard of a couple of years ago or our current qb. She didn't hit anyone like out our current qb. This should have been handled by her coach. Not by our A.D.. No one can defend what she said. But let's not go overboard here. Hanna loves syracuse university as much as anyone on this board. I wonder jekelish how you would have faired with a camara on you at your worst during your stay at Syracuse? Hanna also dates a black kid and I am pretty sure that the lanquage she used is pretty much what she hears every day.

Last edited:
As I said in another post, I have know Hanna's dad all of my life. Good people. Hanna is wonderful girl. She made a mistake. The words she used she hears every day from her boyfriend and his friends. Football players. I want her off the team just as soon as we toss Hunt for his mall troubles and his punch. Or the pt guard we had a few years ago. Stealing while sober is worse than speaking while drunk imo. To throw someone off a team in their sr year for stupid words is a little over the top to me when you consider what hasn't got people thrown off on that campus. The same people that say she should be thrown off defended Edelin and Devo. And what they did was a whole lot worse.

She is used to saying stuff like that being around black people.

Shouldn't be kicked off the team

This thing has gone viral. It's no longer about a "mistake" or who she dates or hangs out with.
Race has become the 3rd Rail topic in American society, so unfortunately for Strong, it's not likely to end well for her.

She needs to make a contrite statement pronto.

Posted by dasher in a duplicate thread...that I deleted.
I wonder jekelish how you would have faired with a camara on you at your worst during your stay at Syracuse? Hanna also dates a black kid and I am pretty sure that the lanquage she used is pretty much what she hears every day.

I'd have been just fine at my "worst" at Syracuse, thank you very much. Never tossed around any racial or homophobic slurs, I can assure you of that.

I also like the old "I know black people so it's okay" defense.

As I said in another post, I have know Hanna's dad all of my life. Good people. Hanna is wonderful girl. She made a mistake. The words she used she hears every day from her boyfriend and his friends. Football players. I want her off the team just as soon as we toss Hunt for his mall troubles and his punch. Or the pt guard we had a few years ago. Stealing while sober is worse than speaking while drunk imo. To throw someone off a team in their sr year for stupid words is a little over the top to me when you consider what hasn't got people thrown off on that campus. The same people that say she should be thrown off defended Edelin and Devo. And what they did was a whole lot worse.

I think Hunt missing the Spring practices was fair for his actions, but you are on the right track talking about special treatment for others. To me what Devo and Kevin Drew received for their actions was a joke.

I don't want to sound like I condone the comments made by Strong, but people asking for her to be kicked out of school are going a bit too far for my liking.

I think Hunt missing the Spring practices was fair for his actions, but you are on the right track talking about special treatment for others. To me what Devo and Kevin Drew received for their actions was a joke.

I don't want to sound like I condone the comments made by Strong, but people asking for her to be kicked out of school are going a bit too far for my liking.
I do agree that the response shouldn't be extreme by SU. It should be handled internally by the coach and the athletics department. That's it. Nothing else needs to be done, nor should it be expected.

I do agree that the response shouldn't be extreme by SU. It should be handled internally by the coach and the athletics department. That's it. Nothing else needs to be done, nor should it be expected.

I was thinking the opposite. I think it should be handled on campus since Athletics under Gross doesn't have an outstanding track record in terms of discipline. Certainly I'm not a DG fan, but I wouldn't be shocked if he booted a reserve W. Soccer player to show Syverud he cares about the behavior of athletes.

It's not unique to SU of course, but there is no such thing as equal treatment when it comes to athletes and off-field transgressions.

I'd have been just fine at my "worst" at Syracuse, thank you very much. Never tossed around any racial or homophobic slurs, I can assure you of that.

I also like the old "I know black people so it's okay" defense.
Not the point. She hangs with blacks every day. They use that word. She uses it with them. Not an excuse. Just a fact. Words only have the power you give them. You and I give that word a lot of power. We know blacks don't when they use it on each other.

Full_Rebar said:
I think Hunt missing the Spring practices was fair for his actions, but you are on the right track talking about special treatment for others. To me what Devo and Kevin Drew received for their actions was a joke. I don't want to sound like I condone the comments made by Strong, but people asking for her to be kicked out of school are going a bit too far for my liking.

Nobody on this board has said she should be kicked out of school. Was that on twitter or syr.com?

A lot of reaction on twitter/facebook especially from students at SU calling for that response.

jekelish said:

Her chances are better with the school. Phil is a very strict coach with high expectations on how players represent the team.

Full_Rebar said:
A lot of reaction on twitter/facebook especially from students at SU calling for that response.

K

Not the point. She hangs with blacks every day. They use that word. She uses it with them. Not an excuse. Just a fact. Words only have the power you give them. You and I give that word a lot of power. We know blacks don't when they use it on each other.
But that's also only one of the two derogatory words she said. Does she hang out with gays every day? Does that make it okay for her to say faggot?

(The answer is no, it doesn't make it okay)

But that's also only one of the two derogatory words she said. Does she hang out with gays every day? Does that make it okay for her to say faggot?

(The answer is no, it doesn't make it okay)
No it doesn't. Let's suspend every athlete that has used words we don't approve of. How many players do have for the game against CMU?

Her chances are better with the school. Phil is a very strict coach with high expectations on how players represent the team.
Before this, in the last three years he has kicked off the team two sr to be starters. I would never recommend a player go to syracuse. I have in the past. Greg Kolodziey who still holds the Syracuse record for goals in a season went to Syracuse because of me. I don't think much of Phil's talent.

No it doesn't. Let's suspend every athlete that has used words we don't approve of. How many players do have for the game against CMU?
I honestly don't care if she's suspended or not. She can be punished internally by being benched for a game, or being made to run sprints for a few hours. My point is that it's ridiculous to just basically say it's okay that she said those things because other people have said them before as well.

I honestly don't care if she's suspended or not. She can be punished internally by being benched for a game, or being made to run sprints for a few hours. My point is that it's ridiculous to just basically say it's okay that she said those things because other people have said them before as well.
We agree 100%. I'm not worried that she should be punished. She should. She represents the school. I'm only worried that the punishment will be too much and a bit unfair. There was talk right away of being thrown out of school. I sure don't go with that. She should be punished from the team end. I just think the season will be too much as well. Something harsh but reasonable.

It's too late for that. The cowards have already sealed her fate, I'm afraid.
Strongly disagree. Making a contrite personal statement, & one that shouldn't mention having friends or acquaintances who are black and/ or gay btw, should be her immediate next move.
Never hurts to say: "I'm sorry. I'm just a kid who made a huge mistake, & said something horrible in the heat of the moment. I ask for your forgiveness, compassion, and understanding...".
Folks would appreciate that & it would help to humanize her a bit.