Hanna Strong | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Hanna Strong

I'm not prepared to argue about this, but just jotting down my first reaction:

How do you prevent this in the future? "Kids, you'll no longer be welcome on our team if you use bad language...that happens to be acceptable for some of your peers to use."

She shouldn't have behaved that way. I don't have too much sympathy for undergraduates, who too often seem to be obnoxious and selfish people who make the University community worse. But punishment for use of language that is commonly used and accepted by others within the community strikes me as unfair and problematic.

Then again, it shouldn't be difficult for these kids to not behave like asses and embarrass their school and program. She failed on that front.

I'm not prepared to argue about this, but just jotting down my first reaction:

How do you prevent this in the future? "Kids, you'll no longer be welcome on our team if you use bad language...that happens to be acceptable for some of your peers to use."

She shouldn't have behaved that way. I don't have too much sympathy for undergraduates, who too often seem to be obnoxious and selfish people who make the University community worse. But punishment for use of language that is commonly used and accepted by others within the community strikes me as unfair and problematic.

Then again, it shouldn't be difficult for these kids to not behave like asses and embarrass their school and program. She failed on that front.

Seems like you answered your own question.

Are we really putting this on the person filming, and not the person making the comments?

I mean...seriously?
I have known Hanna almost all of her life. Her dad and I are close friends and went to high school together. That family, including Hanna, are the least racist people in the world. In the town that Hanna grew up in, there is maybe one black family. She never used words like that. She learned them hanging with her teammates and her friends on the football team. Her boyfriend is a black football player that we all know. Many of her teammates and friends are gay. I don't think we would want someone with a camera filming us for one minute a day. Hanna said the wrong things. It was bad. But much worse is the reaction she has recieved from the adults at Syracuse University. Her coaches at Syracuse didn't return her phone calls. This is a girl that gave her heart and soul to that program. Not even a response. The new chancy calling it hate speech. How political correct. It was a college kid that had too much to drink. I don't think anyone of us would have wanted cameras on us at our worst when we were college students.

I have known Hanna almost all of her life. Her dad and I are close friends and went to high school together. That family, including Hanna, are the least racist people in the world. In the town that Hanna grew up in, there is maybe one black family. She never used words like that. She learned them hanging with her teammates and her friends on the football team. Her boyfriend is a black football player that we all know. Many of her teammates and friends are gay. I don't think we would want someone with a camera filming us for one minute a day. Hanna said the wrong things. It was bad. But much worse is the reaction she has recieved from the adults at Syracuse University. Her coaches at Syracuse didn't return her phone calls. This is a girl that gave her heart and soul to that program. Not even a response. The new chancy calling it hate speech. How political correct. It was a college kid that had too much to drink. I don't think anyone of us would have wanted cameras on us at our worst when we were college students.
That's all fine - I respect your loyalty to her and her family, I really do, and I believe you when you say that's the way she's always actually been.

My point though is that, honestly, how can anyone put any blame on someone filming an incident in this day and age? Everything gets filmed, especially by college kids. It's absurd to imply that any of this is the fault of the person behind the camera. The person behind the camera didn't say those things, and didn't kick her off the team.

(You didn't imply the videographer is to blame, I know)

Seems like you answered your own question.

I think I'm uncomfortable with the double-standard. Not every player in the athletic department would face the same (or any) punishment for that obnoxious and rude performance.

At some point society has to teach lessons rather than ruin lives. This is especially true when no one was harmed.

I generally have no problem with a public shaming, but young people shouldn't have their lives ruined over a stupid mistake when they're drunk especially when no one was hurt in any meaningful way.

Are we really putting this on the person filming, and not the person making the comments?

I mean...seriously?

Why not blame the camera person?

Whoever taped this non-news went to the trouble of editing it, then took the time to upload it for all to see. It certainly appears the intent was to damage the young lady. And guess what...Mission Accomplished. He should be happy.

I don't think we would want someone with a camera filming us for one minute a day.
I know you are too close to the situation to be totally objective and I am sure Hanna is a nice girl. However only a very small % of the population would react in a manner she did (drunk or not drunk-does it matter?). Unfortunately in her case it was on camera. Like they say timing is everything. However maybe we all agree getting removed from the team was a small price to pay for her behavior especially if she learns from it.

Why not blame the camera person?

Whoever taped this non-news went to the trouble of editing it, then took the time to upload it for all to see. It certainly appears the intent was to damage the young lady. And guess what...Mission Accomplished. He should be happy.
He also didn't force her to say those things. This seems like a prime example of "don't blame the messenger."

I generally have no problem with a public shaming, but young people shouldn't have their lives ruined over a stupid mistake when they're drunk especially when no one was hurt in any meaningful way.

Why is her life ruined?

He also didn't force her to say those things. This seems like a prime example of "don't blame the messenger."

He wasn't just a messenger. He taped, edited, uploaded. Not just carrying a message. There was apparently some malicious intent.

I know you are too close to the situation to be totally objective and I am sure Hanna is a nice girl. However only a very small % of the population would react in a manner she did (drunk or not drunk-does it matter?). Unfortunately in her case it was on camera. Like they say timing is everything. However maybe we all agree getting removed from the team was a small price to pay for her behavior especially if she learns from it.
I am close to the situation. But the point is, these are the words that she hears everyday from our football players. I guess we are lucky that there aren't camera's around them. And if there was, there would be a different punishment. You can bet on that. Just remember how Edelin was defended on our boards. And that was a lot worse than words.

tough situation for sure. Just brutal, easy for people to pass judgement, at the same time the world we live in these days. Never like the "she hangs out with all black people" argument. Word just should not be used, and certainly never by white people, world we live in I guess, far from perfect. Unfortunate

I don't agree. It has been a huge over-reaction from the coach, AD, and chancellor. The sanctimonious response to 12 seconds of video has diminished my opinion of SU. Apparently at SU it is okay for an athlete to steal from a store, punch a fellow student because his car was hit with a snowball, punch another player on the field of play, but somehow this incident warranted removal from the team.

who is going to hire her upon her graduation this year?
I don't feel sorry for her at all and she's not the first person who has faced adversity in life. The successful ones are able to learn from their mistakes and be a better person for it. If she can do it then someone will hire her.

He wasn't just a messenger. He taped, edited, uploaded. Not just carrying a message. There was apparently some malicious intent.
I'm just a little taken aback by people putting blame on everyone BUT her in this situation.

It's the people she hangs around with. It's the person taking the video.

Or you know what? Maybe it's her. Maybe she's a little bit responsible for her own actions.

I don't agree. It has been a huge over-reaction from the coach, AD, and chancellor. The sanctimonious response to 12 seconds of video has diminished my opinion of SU. Apparently at SU it is okay for an athlete to steal from a store, punch a fellow student because his car was hit with a snowball, punch another player on the field of play, but somehow this incident warranted removal from the team.
Well there is a new chancellor so maybe some of the things that got swept under the rug won't anymore.

I don't feel sorry for her at all and she's not the first person who has faced adversity in life. The successful ones are able to learn from their mistakes and be a better person for it. If she can do it then someone will hire her.
Interesting. You don't feel sorry at all for a person that made one mistake, a mistake that didn't hurt anyone, and with that mistake, loses her ability to play college sports, which she loves. A mistake that for the foreseeable future hurts her career. I didn't know that about you. I'm glad I found out.

Interesting. You don't feel sorry at all for a person that made one mistake, a mistake that didn't hurt anyone, and with that mistake, loses her ability to play college sports, which she loves. A mistake that for the foreseeable future hurts her career. I didn't know that about you. I'm glad I found out.
Like I said you are too close to the situation. You act like she was some goddess. That was her true personality caught on tape. A snapshot of her life. It has nothing to do with me. But like someone else said, everyone is at fault and not the girl.

I'm just a little taken aback by people putting blame on everyone BUT her in this situation.

It's the people she hangs around with. It's the person taking the video.

Or you know what? Maybe it's her. Maybe she's a little bit responsible for her own actions.
Sometimes more than one person can be to blame for a situation. Hanna made a mistake. If you didn't read it, she issued a public apology. But a person taping a private person while they are drunk, and than editing it and putting it on line, well, In my opinion, that person's motives deserves to be questioned. Hanna wasn't running for office. She was a colege kid out for the night. Happens every weekend on M street.

Like I said you are too close to the situation. You act like she was some goddess. That was her true personality caught on tape. A snapshot of her life. It has nothing to do with me. But like someone else said, everyone is at fault and not the girl.
What a foolish statement. That is her true personality? How would you know this? From a 10 second clip on the internet. Christ what a stupid statement.