Harrison twins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Harrison twins

I think it is ed that players can't sign endorsement and retain their amateur status. The schools have a deal the coaches have a deal but no deal for the labor!
will also serve those MFers right when they swing and miss on a sure fire superstar that fizzles (I.E. everyone of Calipari's recruits but D. Rose).

will also serve those MFers right when they swing and miss on a sure fire superstar that fizzles (I.E. everyone of Calipari's recruits but D. Rose).

Most kids miss I have several friends from SU and childhood friends that never made it big and are struggling now but the University's and shoe company's made their money! No other economic system in the world works like this and no a scholarship is not enough.

Cant disagree with you there. The difference between college basketball and football is huge, IMO. Everyone knows which players have the best NBA potential once the players embark on their senior years. Some will turn out to be the next Kwame Brown and some will turn out to be the next Derrick Rose. The shoe companies have to cast a wide net. It's obvious that shoe companies can absorb the losses from the busts so long as they hit on a couple of future super stars. To cast a wide net, Nike needs money. They just dropped D-Wade from the Jordan brand - in the eyes of Nike, he hit his maximum profitability and they figured it's better to move Wade's contract to the next generation of players. He just signed with the Chinese company, Li-Ning.

There is a reason the Harrisons moved their announcement date earlier by almost 4 weeks. If they were going to MD they probably don't change the date. My guess is they want to claim first dibs to the spots at UK (and the WWW fringe benefits) before someone else does, like maybe James Young.
BINGO.

it was always a dirty game, but gawd has recruiting become absolutely disgusting
Oh Lord

it was always a dirty game, but gawd has recruiting become absolutely disgusting
Oh Lord
If Cal was out of the picture it would be a lot better. I still don't see how the NCAA can't see the BS that is going on with him and UK and they do nothing about it except turn the other cheek.

If Cal was out of the picture it would be a lot better. I still don't see how the NCAA can't see the BS that is going on with him and UK and they do nothing about it except turn the other cheek.
Again, specifically what do you want the NCAA to punish them for?

Agree, what has Kentucky done to warrant a suspension. Some of the past issues with Cal were not his doing. Hard to control all the perks that kids accept from non coaching staff. Don't remember all the details. But I don't think that Calipari has ever been directly linked to illegal recruiting tactics. Some unsavory stuff happens beyond the purview of the coaching staff.

No punishment... There needs to be a full investigation done by the NCAA. Also, new laws should be implemented to avoid loop holes. These laws should always be evolving and enforced when necessary. Don't know if that is legally or financially feasible but that's what I would like to see. Things are getting out of hand especially with the 1 year rule in place. Now these shoe company's are running amuck. It's ruining college basketball. Either the NBA needs to take away the 1 year rule or the NCAA needs to enforce the rules better. It's not working right now.

I think the 1 year rule has helped college basketball in a sense that there's a lot more talent generally year in and year out than when the top high school kids just went pro. You see it in the NBA too with more impact rookies at the top of the draft, and more depth in the draft in general. While I can see why the players would never agree to it, I think college and NBA would benefit from having like the NFL where it's 3 years removed. College has much more talent and also the Kentucky factories would somewhat be policed because probably none of those kids this year would go to UK if Knight, Jones, Lamb, MKG, Davis, or Teague were there still. More teams have more talent, more competitive NCAA tournaments. Personally, I don't care if the mid majors are able to make big runs in the tournament. I'd rather see powerhouse programs filled with potential NBA guys battle it out in the Elite 8 and Final 4 every year. Like I said tho, it's unfair to ask these guys to forfeit years of their earning potential and not profit off their talents like everybody else in the world is allowed to do.

Right now tho the NCAA has no control over basketball or football. They have rules in place but nobody respects them and are experts at finding ways around them. I think UK definitely did some illegal stuff when Cal first got there, but now like many Cal defenders say, he doesnt really need to. What he's built sells itself, even if it was built with the pay offs and shady moves. And Orange Junkie, please spare me the Calipari had no idea what was going on at both schools where his Final Four's were vacated shortly after he left. He was the "winner" of I think it was 6 of the 10 dirtiest recruitments in the last 5 or 10 years or something by CBS sports poll of coaches. Nobody is that stupid, especially not Calipari to be completely unaware of players magically qualifying, or how even tho players are heavy leans and have been recruited by the same schoosl for awhile, Cal can just swoop in and get a commitment. If he truly is that persuasive then he should be hired by the UN to solve all international conflicts until the day he dies.

I think there is too much money in college athletics for the NCAA to be able to control it under its Amateurism rules. I think O'Sully hit the nail on the head when he said too many people no longer respect the rules. There is too much money involved and it has destroyed a lot of people's integrity and respect for the rules. And as far as the athletes are concerned why should they respect rules that really don't make any sense as applied to them or even remotely apply to their circumstances. Many are not student athletes, they are professional athletes in training made to do their training while taking college courses they have no desire to take.

Agree, what has Kentucky done to warrant a suspension. Some of the past issues with Cal were not his doing. Hard to control all the perks that kids accept from non coaching staff. Don't remember all the details. But I don't think that Calipari has ever been directly linked to illegal recruiting tactics. Some unsavory stuff happens beyond the purview of the coaching staff.

wtf2.png

No punishment... There needs to be a full investigation done by the NCAA. Also, new laws should be implemented to avoid loop holes. These laws should always be evolving and enforced when necessary. Don't know if that is legally or financially feasible but that's what I would like to see. Things are getting out of hand especially with the 1 year rule in place. Now these shoe company's are running amuck. It's ruining college basketball. Either take away the 1 year rule or enforce the laws fully.
Specifically what loop holes are you talking about? Also what do you want the NCAA to do about the NBA rule thats says you have to be 1 year removed from high school? The NCAA has no power to make kids stay nor should they.

Specifically what loop holes are you talking about? Also what do you want the NCAA to do about the NBA rule thats says you have to be 1 year removed from high school? The NCAA has no power to make kids stay nor should they.
Ask Cal about the loop holes. I cant pin point them but I'm sure he could help.

The NBA made the rule and pretty much said deal with it to the NCAA.

The NBA made the rule and pretty much said deal with it to the NCAA.

I still don't understand how no one can challenge the legality of that rule. It makes absolutely no sense. It does, however, set Cal up perfectly to have a boatload of college success. I'm not sure why people hate him so much for that. Dirty? Probably, but the whole sport is dirty. I'm not sure why that is so shocking.

I still don't understand how no one can challenge the legality of that rule. It makes absolutely no sense. It does, however, set Cal up perfectly to have a boatload of college success. I'm not sure why people hate him so much for that. Dirty? Probably, but the whole sport is dirty. I'm not sure why that is so shocking.
People hate him for what he is turning college Bball into. He is making it into a D league. He is ignoring the substance of what college ball had been. It used to be student athletes. Four year players for the most part.

Now he is making a strategy of 1 and doners. How does that remotely sound like the basis of a school team. It isn't. And in addition to this ugly philosophy, he also adds very suspicious recruiting techniques. Cal disregards the substance of the NCAA student-athlete concept, he works around the recruiting rules, he plays to the very edge the housing rules, and I don't know how he has managed to comply with the APR.

The Harrison episode is turning into UA money vs Cal money and you don't know why people are getting disgusted?

People hate him for what he is turning college Bball into. He is making it into a D league. He is ignoring the substance of what college ball had been. It used to be student athletes. Four year players for the most part.

Now he is making a strategy of 1 and doners. How does that remotely sound like the basis of a school team. It isn't. And in addition to this ugly philosophy, he also adds very suspicious recruiting techniques. Cal disregards the substance of the NCAA student-athlete concept, he works around the recruiting rules, he plays to the very edge the housing rules, and I don't know how he has managed to comply with the APR.

The Harrison episode is turning into UA money vs Cal money and you don't know why people are getting disgusted?
FWIW - I was told that DC was told 2 things from Kentucky. One, is that he would not have to take any exams. (unable to 2nd source this, but I was told this pissed him off as an insult, and I did confirm that while DC may not be a great student, he is a hardworking and conscientous one, and that he worked very hard to make sure he was eligible.) The 2nd is that they offered to pay for his girlfriend to come down and live there.

There are certainly many aspects of Cal's behavior which invite criticism but it's shortsighted to blame him as being the one primarily responsible for the circling of the drain by NCAA basketball. If it weren't Cal, it would be someone else that would have appeared on the scene that would have been just like him. At the heart of the matter is a systemic problem which as arisen from many factors. Money buys influence and power. There are many interests at stake and most are motivated by money. It has become such big business that it would be surprising if it weren't rampant with corruption. The purity of athletic competition between individuals who are students first, athletes second is a thing of the distant past.

The huge money contracts for TV coverage, the interests of shoe companies, and the ability of big time college athletics to generate revenue for academic institutions all create and atmosphere in which the essential elements of the sport are subjugated and for the most part are rendered irrelevant. It's not just WWW or the Calipari's that are the problem. Its all the associated people who are willing to turn a blind eye and abandon any semblance of a moral compass because...nobody's going to do any thing about it...ergo, because they can.

Cal has provided a template for success and it would be surprising not to see others fall in line and mimic what he has done to enjoy the same success he has. I believe that things will get much worse before they get better... and that's if they ever get better.

It's not just WWW or the Calipari's that are the problem. Its all the associated people who are willing to turn a blind eye and abandon any semblance of a moral compass because...nobody's going to do any thing about it...ergo, because they can.

The problems starts with University Presidents that chase the almighty $ over all else. WWW, Calipari, Nike and Under Armour are just different symptoms.

Cal has provided a template for success and it would be surprising not to see others fall in line and mimic what he has done to enjoy the same success he has. I believe that things will get much worse before they get better... and that's if they ever get better.

It really isn't a template that can be easily replicated. There are only a small number of impactful one and done players each year. If Cal gobbles up most of them, or even a good number of them, there aren't enough for other programs to build rosters on.

FWIW

Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio)
10/3/12, 10:23 PM
Cats Illustrated cites a source saying the Harrison Twins have picked Kentucky. We shall see

FWIW

Matt Jones (@KySportsRadio)
10/3/12, 10:23 PM
Cats Illustrated cites a source saying the Harrison Twins have picked Kentucky. We shall see
Great news!

Come on. Seriously? When are you talking about? The 50s? Prior to when Wooden and co. were paying kids to attend UCLA? You think when DC and Billy O and Derek Brower were getting in fights on Marshall St. every night and driving around in brand new cars, etc., the focus was truly on a healthy balance of academia and athletics?

And why is it Cal gets the blame for this? Granted, the guy is slimy, but two things -- 1) he really makes no secret of what he's doing which, in some ways, is commendable; and 2) it is the NBA/NCAA who created this one-and-done rule, arbitrarily deciding that kids who have zero interest in academics need to go to college and fake it for one year. So while Cal is basically creating a D League, he's doing it largely b/c these kids need a place to go for a year to hang out until they bolt to the NBA. Cal is taking advantage of the situation, I agree, but he's largely just the one doing the best job of it. College athletics are unsavory and have been for a while now. Come to think of it, I haven't seen the Cuse turning down too many kids who aren't terribly interested in academics (I'll resist naming names from last year's team).

As I mentioned before, this is how it's been for a long time. There are plenty of folks who feel like Gary Williams failed to keep up b/c he didn't feel like schmoozing with AAU coaches and playing that whole game. Good coach rendered irrelevant by not pandering to jackhole AAU coaches? (and, believe me, Gary Williams was no saint before that so I'm not suggesting he's a member of the "coaches who want to produce fine young men" club).

How about the fact that SU has a dedicated practice facility with Carmelo's name slapped on it? Seriously? You need a dedicated practice facility for hoops? Football teams need swanky locker rooms with players lounges? Lacrosse players who come from some of the most well-regarded private high schools in America need 15 million tutors and preferred scheduling to get a B in philosophy?

I guess at some point academics were a huge part of this whole thing, but somehow defining a part of your self -- even a small part of your self -- by the character and make up of the kids on your favorite school's basketball team is absurd. Just watch the game, enjoy the athletic feats and try not to think of all the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom