Hate to be a wet blanket but there are going to be 5-8 NFL jobs open | Syracusefan.com

Hate to be a wet blanket but there are going to be 5-8 NFL jobs open

kcsu

Living Legend
Doug may get a very long look from a few teams. I realize he just signed or is ready to ink a very nice extension but would the lure of the NFL be too great for him to pass on?

I'd say the groundwork has been laid if it's going to happen, and DG would know about it.

I want Doug & Co. to stay here for the longterm. But this is the cost of building a winning program. There are very few Frank Beamers and Jim Boeheims left in this world.

If you want a coach to stay longterm, pray for sustained mediocrity. Not good enough to be called up yet not bad enough to replace...ala Coach P.

I want Doug & Co. to stay here for the longterm. But this is the cost of building a winning program. There are very few Frank Beamers and Jim Boeheims left in this world.

If you want a coach to stay longterm, pray for sustained mediocrity. Not good enough to be called up yet not bad enough to replace...ala Coach P.
Well put. Jets would be very hard for him to take a pass on. I think that Doug has one goal beyond SU and that is the NFL. Syracuse getting into the ACC is huge without that he is gone.

I don't subscribe to the "Doug will be here forever/dream job" stuff. I do see him getting a shot in the pros one day if SU has continued success.

That said, I doubt he leaves now given the trajectory of the program. Unless he has a pro-dream job (NY teams, Tenn, whatever) that presents itself this year, doubt we have anything to worry about.

Was just listening to Francesa talk about job openings in the NFL. Brought up Chip Kelly and Dougie right off the bat.

Unless he has a pro-dream job (NY teams, Tenn, whatever) that presents itself this year, doubt we have anything to worry about.

+1 on this.
As this SU team improves, my guess is that Doug would only leave for a "plum" NFL job. And as much as it pains me to say this, I don't think my beloved J...E...T...S are one of those jobs that he'd leave for.

Trying not to worry about it but hard not to. I never believed for one second he's leave for any other college job (still don't), but an NFL opportunity might be too hard to pass up.

Couldn't say I would blame him, he's earned it.

Doug was on the NFL radar prior to leaving for Syracuse. Based on the 6-1 finish, the coaching job that he has done coaching up guys like Ryan, his eye for talent, and the fact that the NFL is trying to clean up its image i will be surprised if he doesnt recieve a few offers.

He's 8-5 in the big east. Not saying this wont be an issue down the line, but not yet. Think of where we were w macpherson when he jumped. Different level.

Doug was looked at when he was with NO. He actually said no thanks then. He only wanted the Syracuse job. That was his dream job. Who ever above used JB and Frank Beamer as examples can add Doug Marrone to that list. He came to Syracuse to bring our program back to prominence. While he has taken a giant step in that direction, in no way is he satisfied yet with what he has accomplished. He is not leaving Syracuse on the brink of greatness. He is taking us another step or two in the right direction, and will not leave the program until he thinks it is stable and can withstand change. I understand that he and his family is very happy in Syracuse. Doug is not your average coach. I don't think it is just about the money. I think he is very comfortable where he is, and he and his family are very comfortable in Syracuse at the moment. Most of this is based on what I learned when he was hired, but I see it in his character over and over. He bleeds Orange, and will bleed Orange a little longer. I also think he relishes his opportunity to shape young men's lives which college football provides him that opportunity much more than the NFL will.

Very different situation. Doug already has the respect of the NFL he simply needed to prove himself as a head coach which he has done. I truly believe that he will recieve multiple offers this year
He's 8-5 in the big east. Not saying this wont be an issue down the line, but not yet. Think of where we were w macpherson when he jumped. Different level.
g

Jay Glazer just name dropped DM as being a candidate for many of these openings. I honestly believe some of you are way too secure in the notion that Doug is here forever. I see him leaving this year if offered a job. Never know if your name will be called again to be a head coach in the NFL.

2 words-greg Schiano. If he can get an NFL job, Marrone can. I do wonder if TB falling apart helps our cause.

Hope he goes to the NFL. Will be best for SU.
Wow you really do know how to light a fire! Why do you say that? Who would you pick to replace Doug?

HCSS? If it were my call and IF Doug leaves which is a huge IF I would give Scott the job, increase the pay for the entire staff and bring in a special teams coach who has strong east coast recruiting ties. Keeping this staff intact would be key and Shaffer is in my opinion ready for a head coaching job and would be as good of a choice as any outsider.

Doug is going to leave at some point (I don't think its this offseason though). This notion that this is his dream job and he will never leave for anything is just wishful thinking. NFL head coaching jobs pay a lot more money and comes along with a lot of prestige.

He might take a few interviews this offseason, but I don't expect him to get any offers. His college resume isn't that strong. It's solid, but not very strong. Back up this year with another good year or two though and I think he is gone for sure.

i would also give the job to shafer this late in the game