Have fun with this nugget | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Have fun with this nugget

This is silly.

You can play the same game with just about every team in the country. Let's take USC since this was an opponent.

1. Hawaii (W 49-10) is 1-3 with its lone victory being over a team called (1AA or worse)Lamar. Their losses include a 69-24 loss to Nevada and a 47-0 loss to BYU.
2. Syracuse (W 42-29) is 1-3 with its lone victory over 1AA Stony Brook, a game they were losing at the half.
3. Stanford (L 21-14) is 3-1 with its other victories over mighty Duke and San Jose State. Stanford lost to Washington who was missing half its offense.
4. Cal (W 27-9) is 1-4 with it's lone victory being over Southern Utah.

So USC has three wins and the combined record of those opponents is 3 and 13. Those three wins are against Lamar, Stony Brook and Southern Utah.

Really?

Rutgers - #145 Schedule Strength
Yards/Game - #73
PPG - #68

Syracuse - #31 Schedule Strength
Yards/Game - #28
PPG - #68

Rutgers is truly burning up the field against it's Sagarin's #191, #200, #60 & #78. 132.25 avg.

Syracuse played #38, #17, #130 & #69 63.5

This isn't the NFL where you can actually compare records because the schedule strength doesn't have a huge gap. We'll see who the better team is on 10/13.

Really?

Yards/Game - #73
PPG - #68

Yards/Game - #28
PPG - #68

Rutgers is truly burning up the field against it's Sagarin's #191, #200, #60 & #78. 132.25 avg.

This isn't the NFL where you can actually compare records because the schedule strength doesn't have a huge gap. We'll see who the better team is on 10/13.

Agree, this all will be settled on 10/13. Provided I can get through 10/5 without a heart attack.

Is that a good thing for Rutgers? One of the things about recruiting is to give a kid special attention...make him feel wanted. With 299 others, that may water things down a bit. Is that really even true...the 300 ?

My understanding was this was done as a movie re-enactment ... the 300 recruits will stand in the tunnel and attempt to keep Schiano and his legions from re-entering the stadium ...

Really?

Yards/Game - #73
PPG - #68

Yards/Game - #28
PPG - #68

I don't know they still have Army (loser to Stony Brook 23-3) and Kent State to go OOC. That should rock up their SOS.

I'm not gloating about our schedule but I won't apologize for winning road games at Arkansas or USF to start the year.

LOL ... Arkansas ... the same Arkansas that lost at home to ULM ... the same one that was just butt thumped 58-10 by a decent but not great A&M squad ... LOL you and the rest of your fanbase crack me up ... 1-2 ... record vs Marrone when it gets above .500 get back to me ... and saying you beat USF is like saying you met Jeckyl instead of dealing with Hyde ... they are the most inconsistent team on the planet ... one week they look like slobberknockers the next week like a Pop Warner squad ... but hey those are "program defining" wins for you guys ... hilarious ... why are you even here? Oh and by the way ... USF is not an OOC game ... we have to play BE teams on the road too ... we will play Mizzou who is far better than Arkansas ... but keep chalking up token wins.

Really?

Yards/Game - #73
PPG - #68

Yards/Game - #28
PPG - #68

Please stop using logic ... it will get you nowhere ...

300 recruits is like saying attendance is 35K (paid) when actual is 18K. Rutgers invites full high school teams filled with freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors etc. It’s good program exposure to do this. I’d invite 300 kids to the Syracuse Pitt game to if I could. But let’s not mistake 300 kids as in 300 D1 athletes. Probably most of their committed kids, a few uncommitted seniors they’re still after and probably a few D1 underclassmen. 99% of the 300 will never play a down of college football.

Nonetheless, they have the means and population base to invite that many kids; 10 NJ high school teams is 300 kids, good for them.

This is dead-on. It's a good job of stretching the truth by Rutgers. Schiano started doing this early on - they invite whole HS teams to games. So, yeah, technically, they are hosting 300 recruits because they give them free tix to the game and Flood will probably show up and say a few words to them as a group beforehand.

While it doesn't take a full brain to figure out that it isn't really "hosting" recruits, it is a great gesture of good will that probably makes a difference at some point.

SU does it too, if I'm not mistaken, we just don't say that we're hosting recruits.

townie-do not disagree with analysis at all including the fan base.disagree with the perception. they have out recruited for sometime, as the program is seen as a winner, we are not.kids only see that and ru sells their program well. we have no presence in nj and that has hurt us in my opinion big time. i am thrilled that dm is getting nyc and li but we need to re-establish nj. yes much of the ru hx is a fraud however it has paid off off on the recruit trail. their vg facilities however are not fraudulent ---sure they are broke but they made it happen and despite the publicity, ther has been no consequences to their program other than lowering coaches salaries

Perception is everything. I agree. And the perception of the SU program and its future has been a big problem for us.

Rutgers has done a great deal to manage "perception" starting with their disgraceful scheduling practice that assumes the world won't notice. And it has helped them upgrade talent.

But the huge deficit they are running in almost-broke New Jersey is a big time problem for them. If they can't erase most of it in short order, your going to see the well starting to dry up. And the looming threat is that they are now squarely in a conference (C-USA) that has never worked dreaming of some sort of artifically-inflated pay-off in a new contract to save their bacon.

Remember, RU football is a program no one wanted or asked for. It is a product of that crook Mulcahy.

In last Saturday's Washington Post TV listings for sports there were 35 football games on TV that day. Along with 4 or 5 MLB games, 4 or 5 Soccer games --- three in the English Premiere League, golf, women's basketball, and some other events. Just how much are these networks going to pay for Rutgers v. SMU?

I don't believe a big contract will happen. And even if they start winning more regularly, their new conference will kill them ... slowly.

This is silly.

You can play the same game with just about every team in the country. Let's take USC since this was an opponent.

1. Hawaii (W 49-10) is 1-3 with its lone victory being over a team called (1AA or worse)Lamar. Their losses include a 69-24 loss to Nevada and a 47-0 loss to BYU.
2. Syracuse (W 42-29) is 1-3 with its lone victory over 1AA Stony Brook, a game they were losing at the half.
3. Stanford (L 21-14) is 3-1 with its other victories over mighty Duke and San Jose State. Stanford lost to Washington who was missing half its offense.

So USC has three wins and the combined record of those opponents is 3 and 13. Those three wins are against Lamar, Stony Brook and Southern Utah.

Right on queue.

I wonder if Knight actually believes that Rutgiz scheduling practice is the same as the rest of the "power" schools. Playing weaker opponents is one thing. Playing a steady diet of MEAC (Howard, Norfolk State) schools is another thing. No one else stoops to that level.

The good news is that in a few weeks there will be absolutely no reason for any Rutgers fan to ever post here again. We are off to the ACC and they are left behind. We won't schedule them again since we prefer to see them twist in the wind.

Please stop using logic ... it will get you nowhere ...

If you are so impressed with Sagarin's "logic" then please consider that he has us rated about 40 spots better than Cuse. But whatever, you guys are soon to be the best 1-4 team in the country, right?

This is silly.

LOL yet USC has more wins against real FBS schools than all of Rutgers OOC opponents that they have played thus far ... you are comparing apples to oranges and your argument is looking weaker and weaker ...

If you are so impressed with Sagarin's "logic" then please consider that he has us rated about 40 spots better than Cuse. But whatever, you guys are soon to be the best 1-4 team in the country, right?

2-1 buddy ... 2-1 and it still kills your fan base ... even when we aren't playing well ... it took Greg Robinson to make your program relevant ... really sad ...

2-1 buddy ... 2-1 and it still kills your fan base ... even when we aren't playing well ... it took Greg Robinson to make your program relevant ... really sad ...

Having watched all I could stand of the USF v Rutgiz game, I'm pretty sure I know what the worst 4-0 team is. Undisciplined and sloppy play abounded. Neither one of those teams should have been awarded a "W".

The good news for RU fans is that the viewing audience for that game was so small is was almost not measurable. (.04, I think) So nobody saw it, at least no poll voters saw it, obviously.

Tick, tick, tick. That's our NBE time running out.

Perception is everything. I agree. And the perception of the SU program and its future has been a big problem for us.

Rutgers has done a great deal to manage "perception" starting with their disgraceful scheduling practice that assumes the world won't notice. And it has helped them upgrade talent.

But the huge deficit they are running in almost-broke New Jersey is a big time problem for them. If they can't erase most of it in short order, your going to see the well starting to dry up. And the looming threat is that they are now squarely in a conference (C-USA) that has never worked dreaming of some sort of artifically-inflated pay-off in a new contract to save their bacon.

Remember, RU football is a program no one wanted or asked for. It is a product of that crook Mulcahy.

In last Saturday's Washington Post TV listings for sports there were 35 football games on TV that day. Along with 4 or 5 MLB games, 4 or 5 Soccer games --- three in the English Premiere League, golf, women's basketball, and some other events. Just how much are these networks going to pay for Rutgers v. SMU?

I don't believe a big contract will happen. And even if they start winning more regularly, their new conference will kill them ... slowly.
call mulcahy what you will---but he made it happen and if he had been be commish we would never have seen this evolve the way it had---further --he had the big time political ties,which is why it happened and executive experience to get it done.sure in the end he was the 'fall guy"--but behind the scenes ,he was a driving force and fell on sword(at least publicly )as for how much will they pay???much if ru garners national attention---which they may that schiano is gone---as for the new conference---it will be better than most people thought---it will be national not parochial, much to my dismay--forget the deficit,no one cares , they have talked about this for years and the voters have no say,christie supports this, the well n nj is very deep and the politicos are behind this

Let's all talk after SU plays Rutgers. Then we can say for sure who is the better team between the 2..Sagarin rankings and all.

call mulcahy what you will---but he made it happen and if he had been be commish we would never have seen this evolve the way it had---further --he had the big time political ties,which is why it happened and executive experience to get it done.sure in the end he was the 'fall guy"--but behind the scenes ,he was a driving force and fell on sword(at least publicly )as for how much will they pay???much if ru garners national attention---which they may that schiano is gone---as for the new conference---it will be better than most people thought---it will be national not parochial, much to my dismay--forget the deficit,no one cares , they have talked about this for years and the voters have no say,christie supports this, the well n nj is very deep and the politicos are behind this

Tipp, you are crawling very far out on to a limb with all that.

You may be right on all of it or even some of it. But I don't think so.

The deficit we are talking about here is not the State budget. The athletic department is holding up the student body and the general fund for $20M plus a year. It just can't go on that way without people hollering bloody murder. And if there is one thing the citizens of New Jersey know how to do, it's make noise.

What very few people in New Jersey care about is Rutgers University and even fewer care about the Rutgers football program. There is no such idea as "state pride". It doesn't exist. And beating SMU, Houston and San Diego State is not going to engender it. Now if Rutgers was beating Notre Dame, Penn State and Ohio State and teams the average pro-oriented Jersey resident had actually heard of, then that'd be different. But they aren't. The interest in 2006 was generated by the "newness" of RU even being competitive. It was an attractive story line.

If this huge deficit continues and a few politicians get ahold of it, the other politicians will run away from it like a jail break at Rahway Penitentiary. In other States like Maryland, the Legislature passed a law making it illegal for the athletic department to tap into the University General fund. If they put that proposition on the ballot in NJ, what percentage of the people would vote for it? I'll bet it would get 80%+ support.

Since 2000 which team has the better record? We have 3 winning seasons and 2 .500 seasons in that time frame. Rutgers has 6 winning seasons. Granted they play a different schedule of patsies but their record is better. In the end based on your posts I think we are arguing the same thing. Their record is better but they do not really play anyone and will continue to fall into the abyss of irrelevance.

They've been better since Grob took over. Everybody's been better since Grob took over. So its not well over a decade, its the last 7 yrs or so.

5 pages for this stupid ass thread and no one has posted this?!

You all suck.

300-2.jpg

We are 4-0(with three road wins) and ranked in the top 25. Our attendance has been outstanding and I know saturdays game against UConn will be draw 50,000+. Recruiting is going great(just locked up a 4 star corner) and coach Flood looks to be a great hire by Pernetti at an excellent value for the program.

How some continue to try and spin that as irrelevant is just silly...

We are 4-0(with three road wins) and ranked in the top 25. Our attendance has been outstanding and I know saturdays game against UConn will be draw 50,000+. Recruiting is going great(just locked up a 4 star corner) and coach Flood looks to be a great hire by Pernetti at an excellent value for the program.

How some continue to try and spin that as irrelevant is just silly...

Is he a Huggins quality 4*? LOL ... finish the season in the top 25 and maybe some of us will stop yawning ... its the same story with RU ... play a bunch of creampuffs .. get ranked .. get into league play ... get beat and finish unranked ... and those are the good years ... don't you have another place to be other than on a Syracuse board?

Do you come here to get approval from your big brother or something ... because that is all RU has been to SU thoughout most of the history of the respective programs ... just a little brother that is green with envy and gets knocked around constantly ... then wins a few games and then all of a sudden feel they are worthy ... LOL ... even the fan base comes here seeking some approval, its kinda sad. This is considered dark times for SU and RU is currently 1-2 and against the current staff and we had to get out of our own way to give you that one win. What does it take for you to get it through your skulls about how your program is perceived?

Is he a Huggins quality 4*? LOL ... finish the season in the top 25 and maybe some of us will stop yawning ... its the same story with RU ... play a bunch of creampuffs .. get ranked .. get into league play ... get beat and finish unranked ... and those are the good years ... don't you have another place to be other than on a Syracuse board?

Do you come here to get approval from your big brother or something ... because that is all RU has been to SU thoughout most of the history of the respective programs ... just a little brother that is green with envy and gets knocked around constantly ... then wins a few games and then all of a sudden feel they are worthy ... LOL ... even the fan base comes here seeking some approval, its kinda sad. This is considered dark times for SU and RU is currently 1-2 and against the current staff and we had to get out of our own way to give you that one win. What does it take for you to get it through your skulls about how your program is perceived?

Blah, blah, blah. You havn't beaten a D1 team in nearly a YEAR!

You are currently 0-0 against our "current staff" and I feel pretty good about first year coach Flood taking it to longest tenured coach in the Big East Marrone this year.

We are nearly/selling out our 5o,000+ seat stadium and you have Temple like attendance.

You finish dead last in the Big East seemingly every year.

"What does it take for you to get that through your skull about how your program is perceived"!!!

If Rutgers is so great and valuable were is your invite to the big boy conference? That and the overall record against cuse is all that needs to be said...end of story

300?? P&D have gotta love that exposure to NJ recruits.
They have to move this game to Sparta!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Blah, blah, blah. You havn't beaten a D1 team in nearly a YEAR!

You are currently 0-0 against our "current staff" and I feel pretty good about first year coach Flood taking it to longest tenured coach in the Big East Marrone this year.

We are nearly/selling out our 5o,000+ seat stadium and you have Temple like attendance.

You finish dead last in the Big East seemingly every year.

"What does it take for you to get that through your skull about how your program is perceived"!!!

LOL ... compare histories son and get back to me ... how many BE titles does SU have vs RU? Seriously you guys have 10 mediocre seasons and this is how it plays out ... your definition of success is beating a down trodden Arkansas ... a team that lost at home to ULM ... go back and look at the long storied history that is SU football ... we've beaten the big boys in major bowls ... beaten a #1 in our house ... have you even played a #1 at home and covered the spread? And that D1 team that we did abuse is a team you couldn't beat last year ... and you sell out games against Howard or some other scrub program you can beat up on ... I guess there isn't much to get excited about when it comes to RU football so you have to celebrate any win you can get ... I get it ... honestly I do ... now before Johnny Flynn teabags Rosario again I'll now hear about your up and coming hoops dynasty ... LOL ... 10 mediocre seasons a program does not make ... go and look at RU's history ... total wins ... major bowl wins ... NCs ... Heisman Winners ... and BE championships ... and the comparison isn't even close ... my God you guys really are pathetic and to think you come over here for this argument astonishes me ... go back to rubbing the Fat Head Schiano you have pasted to the wall in your parent's basement you are boring me. Everyone in the media when they refer to Syracuse refers to it as a proud storied program in a dark period ... when they mention RU its ... "Hey they've been able to maintain a near .500 record for a decade ... woohoo!" LOL ... you guys crack me up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom