Have I said enough how much I hate the ND games. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Have I said enough how much I hate the ND games.

until another notre dame game is moved to metlife its not a big deal. The reason notre dame couldn't take 2016 as home game moved aka shamrock series is because in 2016 the army game had already been selected so it was @metlife or @ notre dame and since it was easier to keep the contract as originally signed in 2014 and 16 we stayed with it.In 2015 bc is the shamrock series opponent that's why they are playing bc in fenway

Again, this how this crap works. ND says to SU we will play 4 games with you if you play your home games at Metlife. Dr, Gross calls Metlife how much cash will you give SU if we play 2 games at Metlife against ND.Great we will play 2 games at Metlife. Metlife WAS NOT PART of the negotiation with Notre Dame as they aren't Notre Dame home games they are Syracuse home games. Notre Dame wanted 2 games at Metlife Stadium for NY/NJ recruiting and negotiated with Rutgers, UConn, and Syracuse. Syracuse was the team that agreed to play 2 games at Metlife/ 2 games at South Bend. UConn wanted to, but their state legislation wouldn't let them, and Rutgers said no.

Notre Dame doesn't talk to us back then without the understanding these games would be played at Meadowlands. And we were third in the pecking order after Rutgers and UConn. The first two took the stance that you wanted us to take. Fine, that I understand. I also understand the other point of view as well. And personally, I don't think it's fair to say either point of view is correct on this point since only time will tell the true story about it.

But your insistence that MetLife (then the New Meadowlands) wasn't part of the deal remains untenable to me.

That is all.

Cheers,
Neil

I was at the last game Notre dame played at the dome, and it wasn't a sell out. I was astonished. Having said that, I have been to both MetLife games and had a blast at each. However, the luster has worn off for me. I have paid for seasons tickets for twenty years, theses teams need to be in the Dome.

Notre Dame doesn't talk to us back then without the understanding these games would be played at Meadowlands. And we were third in the pecking order after Rutgers and UConn. The first two took the stance that you wanted us to take. Fine, that I understand. I also understand the other point of view as well. And personally, I don't think it's fair to say either point of view is correct on this point since only time will tell the true story about it.

But your insistence that MetLife (then the New Meadowlands) wasn't part of the deal remains untenable to me.

That is all.

Cheers,
Neil
I understand ND wouldn't have agreed to the series in 2009 unless Metlife was the site of our home games. I do not dispute this one bit. My point is the second that Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC games in 2012 then Dr. Gross SHOULD have told the Metlife people sorry, but I am not going to play these games against Notre Dame at Metlife because unlike in 2009 I now have the chance to get Notre Dame to play Syracuse on campus and not play home games against Notre Dame 250 miles from our campus. The fact Dr. Gross asked the ACC to make Syracuse the team that will play Notre Dame twice in three years and BOTH are technically Syracuse home games when Notre Dame will have more fans means its will be FOREVER before Syracuse season ticket holders or local fans will see ANY BENEFIT for Notre Dame playing 5 games against ACC teams. The fact it appears publicly anyway that Dr. Gross did nothing to try to alleviate this situation is an INSULT to season ticket holders or anybody who invests in the football program in the Central New York area. Jeez, I don't insist that Metlife wasn't a part of the ORIGINAL AGREEMENT, my point is Dr. Gross not cancelling the games in 2012 just shows either he doesn't care about Notre Dame playing Syracuse home games in Syracuse or he doesn't want to piss off the Metlife people and doesn't care about pissing local fans.

Wait, 2 neutral games in Jersey and people are complaining? Have you ever been to South Bend? Other than the school it's Gary Indiana central without the factories. This is a nice simple drive for most of the SU fan base.

Wait, 2 neutral games in Jersey and people are complaining? Have you ever been to South Bend? Other than the school it's Gary Indiana central without the factories. This is a nice simple drive for most of the SU fan base.
I am not sure you realize this the 2014 and 2016 Notre Dame games are Syracuse HOME GAMES not neutral games. Syracuse is using its Notre Dame home games in their ACC rotation and playing them 250 miles away from HOME. Jeez, its not like Syracuse isn't going to return those South Bend games it will in the next ND-ACC rotation from 2o17-2019 and will likely play in South Bend once from 2020-2022 because other ACC teams won't want Syracuse getting Notre Dame more than them. Dr. Gross cashed in his favor by not only being the ACC team to play Notre Dame twice from 2014-2016 but BOTH are considered Syracuse home games when we will be the road team.
However, because I am one voicing the stupidity and angry about this EPIC FAILURE I am a complainer. Anybody who defends this arrangement just doesn't want to either acknowledge the stupidity exhibited by Dr. Gross or feels we should be grateful we are not stuck in the Big East. Well, I call it the way I see it and that is Syracuse season ticket holders, residences of CNY are GETTING NOTHING OUT of Notre Dame playing 5 ACC opponents annually and basically I am being told oh well.

I am not sure you realize this the 2014 and 2016 Notre Dame games are Syracuse HOME GAMES not neutral games. Syracuse is using its Notre Dame home games in their ACC rotation and playing them 250 miles away from HOME. Jeez, its not like Syracuse isn't going to return those South Bend games it will in the next ND-ACC rotation from 2o17-2019 and will likely play in South Bend once from 2020-2022 because other ACC teams won't want Syracuse getting Notre Dame more than them. Dr. Gross cashed in his favor by not only being the ACC team to play Notre Dame twice from 2014-2016 but BOTH are considered Syracuse home games when we will be the road team.
However, because I am one voicing the stupidity and angry about this EPIC FAILURE I am a complainer. Anybody who defends this arrangement just doesn't want to either acknowledge the stupidity exhibited by Dr. Gross or feels we should be grateful we are not stuck in the Big East. Well, I call it the way I see it and that is Syracuse season ticket holders, residences of CNY are GETTING NOTHING OUT of Notre Dame playing 5 ACC opponents annually and basically I am being told oh well.

Dr. Gross may be able to change the semantics of it being a home game. Be patient and see how this falls. I get it though and I want home and homes to be actually be home and homes like you do. Let's just see how this flies now that we both are in the ACC and also how this goes regarding one time games being played in Jersey.

I consider these to be neutral site games. I believe that ND lists them as being road games simply to address their ACC requirement of balancing home and away games. It's an accounting trick.

I would expect the subsequent games in the series to be played in South Bend and Syracuse... in that order. While unpopular, I wouldn't be shocked to see both of those games to be played at MetLife if that contract still needs to be fulfilled.

Love the Notre Dame games at Met Life. High profile. Great deal by Gross pre-ACC.

Who even knows if ND will be affiliated with the ACC in six years.

And CNY has shown they dont support SU football. Good for Gross for thinking outside the box (dome).

Stupidity? Epic failure? Getting nothing?

Easy there, hoss. It's the holiday season.

TGD did the best with what he had. I have no doubt about that. Let it play out. My guess is after this contract is fulfilled, we will see ND in the Dome. Probably not for a while though. As Omni said, deep breaths.

Last edited:
I consider these to be neutral site games. I believe that ND lists them as being road games simply to address their ACC requirement of balancing home and away games. It's an accounting trick.

I would expect the subsequent games in the series to be played in South Bend and Syracuse... in that order. While unpopular, I wouldn't be shocked to see both of those games to be played at MetLife if that contract still needs to be fulfilled.
While I understand people trying to justify these games with the mindset in your first paragraph the fact is these games are Syracuse home games that Dr. Gross has allowed to remain at Metlife instead of trying to get them moved back to the Dome.

In regards to your second sentence I don't believe this one bit NO WAY the ACC with teams like Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson will let little old newbie Syracuse get Notre Dame at "home" 3 times before they get them atleast 2 times. Syracuse will be doing the jobs at South Bend or atleast under Notre Dame home games the next 2 times just because the ACC won't give Syracuse more Notre Dame home games than everyone else and BTW I don't blame for the ACC for this as Syracuse shouldn't get Notre Dame at home more than the rest and honestly the less we play Notre Dame and this crap happens the more I won't get upset.

Stupidity? Epic failure? Getting nothing?

Easy there, hoss. It's the holiday season.

TGD did the bet with what he had. I have no doubt about that. Let it play out. My guess is after this contract is fulfilled, we will see ND in the Dome. Probably not for a while though. As Omni said, deep breaths.

I don't believe this Dr. Gross when I asked him directly if he tried to have the games moved back to Syracuse said directly that he had not. Which means he did not do the best he could do. Any fan that prefers Syracuse playing home games 250 miles away from its home campus doesn't care about giving the team the biggest home field advantage it could have and just likes the Metlife experience for their own reason.

While I understand people trying to justify these games with the mindset in your first paragraph the fact is these games are Syracuse home games that Dr. Gross has allowed to remain at Metlife instead of trying to get them moved back to the Dome.
You may claim that these games are SU home games, but we really don't know that. Just because you claim that as a "fact", doesn't make it so.

I believe it's more like having the two MetLife games being transformed from SU home games as part of the original deal to being the first two SU-ND games as part of the ND-ACC agreement.

Time will tell, but I don't see the need for all of the outrage and venom that's being spewed here.

I understand ND wouldn't have agreed to the series in 2009 unless Metlife was the site of our home games. I do not dispute this one bit. My point is the second that Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC games in 2012 then Dr. Gross SHOULD have told the Metlife people sorry, but I am not going to play these games against Notre Dame at Metlife because unlike in 2009 I now have the chance to get Notre Dame to play Syracuse on campus and not play home games against Notre Dame 250 miles from our campus. The fact Dr. Gross asked the ACC to make Syracuse the team that will play Notre Dame twice in three years and BOTH are technically Syracuse home games when Notre Dame will have more fans means its will be FOREVER before Syracuse season ticket holders or local fans will see ANY BENEFIT for Notre Dame playing 5 games against ACC teams. The fact it appears publicly anyway that Dr. Gross did nothing to try to alleviate this situation is an INSULT to season ticket holders or anybody who invests in the football program in the Central New York area. Jeez, I don't insist that Metlife wasn't a part of the ORIGINAL AGREEMENT, my point is Dr. Gross not cancelling the games in 2012 just shows either he doesn't care about Notre Dame playing Syracuse home games in Syracuse or he doesn't want to piss off the Metlife people and doesn't care about pissing local fans.

The only FACT is that you personally don't like playing Notre Dame in Metlife.

Everything else is pure supposition on your part.

Unless you were invited to sit in on the negotiations between Gross, ND, MetLife, and the ACC, you really have no clue how all this went down.

Your claims that Gross tanked the negotiations on purpose because he doesn't care are totally baseless.

You may claim that these games are SU home games, but we really don't know that. Just because you claim that as a "fact", doesn't make it so.

I believe it's more like having the two MetLife games being transformed from SU home games as part of the original deal to being the first two SU-ND games as part of the ND-ACC agreement.

Time will tell, but I don't see the need for all of the outrage and venom that's being spewed here.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/12/syracuse_football_will_face_no.html

Syracuse will still host Notre Dame in 2014 and 2016, with both games played at MetLife Stadium. Those games were part of the original four-game contract. Syracuse was also originally scheduled to visit Notre Dame in 2015.

From 2009 Donnie Webb
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/08/syracuse_will_play_usc_notre_d.html

Syracuse will play Southern California at the Meadowlands in 2012. It will play Notre Dame at the facility in East Rutherford, N.J., in 2014 and 2016. All three contests will be considered Syracuse home games. Electronic signage throughout the stadium along with the playing field end zones will be changed to reflect Orange logos and identity.

I don't get how me claiming they are home games is even a disputed fact. I mean nobody disputes this.

The only FACT is that you personally don't like playing Notre Dame in Metlife.

Everything else is pure supposition on your part.

Unless you were invited to sit in on the negotiations between Gross, ND, MetLife, and the ACC, you really have no clue how all this went down.

Your claims that Gross tanked the negotiations on purpose because he doesn't care are totally baseless.
I never said Gross tanked negotiations MY GOD WHAT A JOKE. I said once Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC annually in 5 games HE DIDN'T TRY TO HAVE Syracuse games moved from Metlife to the Carrier Dome.

What a joke for you try to even spin words any differently than that. This stuff is really starting to tick me off that people can't acknowledge facts that local Syracuse fans and season ticket holders getting very little from Notre Dame agreeing to 5 ACC games each seasons. Gross had no leverage in 2009, but when Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC games home/away he didn't try to have our games moved back to the Dome he has just let them be played at Metlife without trying to get the Carrier Dome to be the host site.

I never said Gross tanked negotiations MY GOD WHAT A JOKE. I said once Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC annually in 5 games HE DIDN'T TRY TO HAVE Syracuse games moved from Metlife to the Carrier Dome.

What a joke for you try to even spin words any differently than that. This stuff is really starting to tick me off that people can't acknowledge facts that local Syracuse fans and season ticket holders getting very little from Notre Dame agreeing to 5 ACC games each seasons. Gross had no leverage in 2009, but when Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC games home/away he didn't try to have our games moved back to the Dome he has just let them be played at Metlife without trying to get the Carrier Dome to be the host site.

Since you are the only one this worked up about it, maybe you're the one with the problem.

It's a business deal, you give something to get something.

Given the resounding support the community has shown the last five years I think local considerations are/should be way down the list.

Revenue, recruits, branding.

Just because Gross didn't show you the power point with the business case doesn't mean there isn't a good one.

It would be one thing if you claimed that Gross "failed" to get a game moved to Syracuse. Because even you would have to admit that in order for Gross to fail, he would have had to at least make an attempt that was unsuccessful.

Problem is, you won't even give Gross credit for "trying and failing". You've claimed throughout the entire thread that Gross "DIDN'T TRY"

From your own words: "The fact it appears publicly anyway that Dr. Gross did nothing to try to alleviate this situation is an INSULT to season ticket holders or anybody who invests in the football program in the Central New York area."

It's one thing to dive after a ground ball and come up empty. It's another thing entirely to purposely let a grounder go through your legs by standing there and doing nothing.

And that is the very definition of tanking.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

It would be one thing if you claimed that Gross "failed" to get a game moved to Syracuse. Because even you would have to admit that in order for Gross to fail, he would have had to at least make an attempt that was unsuccessful.

Problem is, you won't even give Gross credit for "trying and failing". You've claimed throughout the entire thread that Gross "DIDN'T TRY"

From your own words: "The fact it appears publicly anyway that Dr. Gross did nothing to try to alleviate this situation is an INSULT to season ticket holders or anybody who invests in the football program in the Central New York area."

It's one thing to dive after a ground ball and come up empty. It's another thing entirely to purposely let a grounder go through your legs by standing there and doing nothing.

And that is the very definition of tanking.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Okay, this is what makes me laugh. I said it correctly and not as a with closed mindset, I said it appears publicly he did nothing, and the fact is Dr. Gross HAS NOT SAID PUBLICLY whether he tried to move games back to Syracuse has he? I said appears because I have looked and found no public comment from Dr. Gross on trying to have the games moved back to Syracuse once Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC games annually.

I admit my tone is critical, but what I said was fair and for you spin that as meaning tanking is honestly funny to me. I mean its funny for me to say it appears publicly he did nothing means I am saying he tanked. I would say what I am saying is Dr. Gross hopes by not acknowledging this situation or trying to make it public he hopes it goes away without any Syracuse fans realizing the situation or caring.

Atleast GoSu is making the argument the community's lack of support in football team is why Gross is moving the game and while I don't like I am not going to say its not a reasonable argument. However, you telling me because I said it appears publicly Dr. Gross has not said whether he tried move the game back to Syracuse means he tanked it is wrong. I have said Dr. Gross has done an excellent job as AD, but this Notre Dame crap has been handled incorrectly and that is my opinion. The people responding to me disagree, but don't tell me I said he tanked when I didn't.

Okay, this is what makes me laugh. I said it correctly and not as a with closed mindset, I said it appears publicly he did nothing, and the fact is Dr. Gross HAS NOT SAID PUBLICLY whether he tried to move games back to Syracuse has he? I said appears because I have looked and found no public comment from Dr. Gross on trying to have the games moved back to Syracuse once Notre Dame agreed to play 5 ACC games annually.

I admit my tone is critical, but what I said was fair and for you spin that as meaning tanking is honestly funny to me. I mean its funny for me to say it appears publicly he did nothing means I am saying he tanked. I would say what I am saying is Dr. Gross hopes by not acknowledging this situation or trying to make it public he hopes it goes away without any Syracuse fans realizing the situation or caring.

Atleast GoSu is making the argument the community's lack of support in football team is why Gross is moving the game and while I don't like I am not going to say its not a reasonable argument. However, you telling me because I said it appears publicly Dr. Gross has not said whether he tried move the game back to Syracuse means he tanked it is wrong. I have said Dr. Gross has done an excellent job as AD, but this Notre Dame crap has been handled incorrectly and that is my opinion. The people responding to me disagree, but don't tell me I said he tanked when I didn't.

getting both game at he carrier dome would never happen as if we weren't playing at metlife one of the games definitely would of been at ND though since we wouldn't play them home twice before going to ND which is probably why we kept it as there are now 2 at metlife as us,nd and metlife all wanted the games there. Going forward we should try to get notre dame back in the dome though.

EPIC, MONSTER HOME RUN FOR TGD!!

NICE JOB DR GROSS.

now go put 6 games in the Dome too. should be easy enough. 6-5-1.

and to that guy all pissed about the Stadium being 6miles accross state line...wow.

171048416665.jpg

we are so lucky to be playing the irish in Giants Stadium in front of probably 70k, instead of playing them in front of 40k in the Dome.

great for the alumni, great for players, great for their familys and great for potential recruits.

GRAND SLAM.

EPIC, MONSTER HOME RUN FOR TGD!!

NICE JOB DR GROSS.

now go put 6 games in the Dome too. should be easy enough. 6-5-1.

and to that guy all pissed about the Stadium being 6miles accross state line...wow.

171048416665.jpg

we are so lucky to be playing the irish in Giants Stadium in front of probably 70k, instead of playing them in front of 40k in the Dome.

great for the alumni, great for players, great for their familys and great for potential recruits.

GRAND SLAM.

Needs to be 7-4-1

If we need to have a Meadowlands game, get three scrubs in for a pay day and a W, and 4-4 in conference.

Needs to be 7-4-1

If we need to have a Meadowlands game, get three scrubs in for a pay day and a W, and 4-4 in conference.
thats where i was intending to go. too much jack last night, left the keyboard for a while and i lost my train of thought. :noidea:

:bang:

whenever a vocal minority screams about some wrong being done on here, i know they made the right call up on the hill.

home or not home only matters is if the pay for the home team is higher. and if it is, we won that battle.

schedule a 1-1 with buffalo and give them the away game in 17. that will also be like a home game.

simple stuff here.

Oh Lord

KaiserUEO said:

First, in the Dome it would be 45k+. 40k SU fans in the Dome is a better chance to win than MetLife with 20k SU fans.