Heard someone at work say 'I don't watch college basketball' | Syracusefan.com

Heard someone at work say 'I don't watch college basketball'

Orangemen

All Conference
And for the first time ever, I really didn't have a compelling reason why someone who likes the pros should be a bigger fan of the college game.

I love the game and always will, but from an outsider perspective, the game isn't nearly as appealing as it was 10 years ago.

I really hope something gets done about this. It feels like what the NBA went through when Riley and the Knicks (among others) changed the complexion of the league (for the worse). The NBA was able to correct it's course and get back on track. Hopefully someone in the college game can do the same.

Unfortunately, I completely agree. Throughout this season, for the first time ever, I found myself switching to NBA games rather than random college games (i.e. games where Cuse is not playing) when channel surfing. The gameplay and crappy refereeing just got to be too bad. Of course, now that I try to fill out my bracket, I am no where near as educated on other teams since I have not seen them play at all this year.

For the avid NBA fan, watching college basketball is just a reason to scout for lottery picks.

I watch more college basketball than Andy Katz and Jay Bilas combined. There are still diehards out there. I'm living proof.
this got me thinking, ive actually watched more NBA this year than college. maybe for the 1st time since 80s.

the biggest reason is Carmelo and the Knicks. im actually watching them all this year, but ive caught a number of west coast late nighters as well. and since the NFL ended, been watching the Sundays.,

i watch college and i find myself hoping for the 'coach' to lose. just a few years ago i could name the dook or unc or ohio st or the team of the years starting 5...but im at a loss this year. i know a few names, but thats about it. too much turnover.

Carmelo needs a good smack, but thats a topic for a whole other thread and board.

this got me thinking, ive actually watched more NBA this year than college. maybe for the 1st time since 80s.

the biggest reason is Carmelo and the Knicks. im actually watching them all this year, but ive caught a number of west coast late nighters as well. and since the NFL ended, been watching the Sundays.,

i watch college and i find myself hoping for the 'coach' to lose. just a few years ago i could name the dook or unc or ohio st or the team of the years starting 5...but im at a loss this year. i know a few names, but thats about it. too much turnover.

Carmelo needs a good smack, but thats a topic for a whole other thread and board.
Its getting more challenging thats for sure to keep up this pace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watch more college basketball than Andy Katz and Jay Bilas combined. There are still diehards out there. I'm living proof.
I am in the same camp. I probably watch more college basketball in a year than I watch NBA in my lifetime. And I watch most Knicks games now ... at least when Melo is playing. I even enjoed the Friday night games on ESPN here locally with the Siena's and Stoneybrooks and Iona etc. I think the quality has suffered but the enthusiasm of the college game hasn't.

I'd watch Montana vs Weber State before I'd watch most NBA games (except for the Knicks with Melo).

I'd watch Montana vs Weber State before I'd watch most NBA games (except for the Knicks with Melo).
Yeah I have seen much more MoMo Jones this year than Kobe.

I dont know how any one watches the NBA, that is unwatchable to me. No defense, no energy, no atmosphere. I cant watch the NBA, i just cant

I dont know how any one watches the NBA, that is unwatchable to me. No defense, no energy, no atmosphere. I cant watch the NBA, i just cant

It's like guys punching a clock. These are union workers at a basketball factory. Yes they are more skilled, but its bogus watching them play like the Globetrotters where they just let each other dunk for a few quarters and then maybe get serious at the end. None of it matters at all.

One thing the NBA does well is not let the ball handlers get mugged.

I don't know what games you are watching but Knicks vs any top team at the Garden has been a consistently better atmosphere than SU at the dome this year. Granted, there were some rough home games of late but still.

Also, no defense?? Compared to ncaa they actually have to play real defense as they aren't allowed to mug the opposing team for 94 feet.

I don't know how people can watch yesterday's Heat vs Celtics game and say it was unwatchable. Great offense with trump great defense every time so saying there is no defense in the NBA makes no sense. I watched two teams fight hard on both end of the court for 40 minutes yesterday. Lebron and Pierce I thought were going to come to blows by the end of the game. The great thing about NBA is you have the chance to see bitter rivals play each other more than once or twice a year.

Get rid of the one and done rule ...my opinion the single biggest issue with college basketball

done exactly the same thing, haven't watched this much Knicks since B King and Ernie were running the back court, Pat Cummings as well. I still watch Syracuse but other than that college hoops is basically unwatchable until the tournament, IMO.

Melo is lost right now for sure and the Knicks are heading to the 7th seed

If I had an NBA team it might be different. But the 82 game season makes each individual game seem so completely pointless to me. I have an NHL team to root for but it's the same thing - too many meaingless regular season games. MLB is a little better because at least it's the summer time and baseball is more of an artform imo. I like the NBA playoffs, though. Even without a team. But I can't watch much if any of it during the college basketball season.

Yes, changes are needed. But there are still so many aspects of college basketball that make it so awesome in spite of its flaws.

Have you seen the Nuggets play?

Also, at least you guys don't live in Texas. After a Maryland grad left the company about 3 years ago, I have no one to talk college hoops with, and I work at the headquarters of a very large company, so it's not like it's an office of 5 people. It's football and only football. So, while I love football and talking about it, when it comes basketball season, I'm by myself :(

There are so many misconceptions about the NBA by so called "basketball" fans it is ridiculous. It's not worth getting into it. You either like it or you don't.

NBA playoffs are great

You are confusing grabbing, clutching, holding and standing under the rim to flop for a charge with actually trying to play defense by moving your feet to try to stay ahead of the greatest athletes in the world.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I've watched two NBA games this year and it's because I got free tickets. Would much rather watch college games.

And for the first time ever, I really didn't have a compelling reason why someone who likes the pros should be a bigger fan of the college game.

I love the game and always will, but from an outsider perspective, the game isn't nearly as appealing as it was 10 years ago.

I really hope something gets done about this. It feels like what the NBA went through when Riley and the Knicks (among others) changed the complexion of the league (for the worse). The NBA was able to correct it's course and get back on track. Hopefully someone in the college game can do the same.
My argument would be that watching/hearing a student section chant and show real emotion will always be better than the pumped in music and "make some noooiiiiiisssssse" from an NBA pa announcer will ever be. But the product on the floor is certainly lacking. I'm afraid that won't change much unless the NBA/players union agree to delay early entry further.

I watch hardly any college basketball. Every SU game, but not more than a few minutes of anything else. I watch tons of NBA though.

If i hadn't gone to a college with a compelling team, i doubt i'd have much interest in the NCAA. College games can be fantastic, but if you don't have a reason to love a specific team, what point is there? If i had gone to Brown, for instance, i don't think i'd want to be a fan of another school. Schools represent us in a way, and vice versa. Either where we spent a good chunk of important time, or maybe where we grew up... Doesn't feel right to be a fan of someone else's history and life.

Yes, NBA announcers are horrific. From the bored monotone of the Lakers guy, to the moron in Miami... Ick.

Something needs to be done about NCAA officiating. Way too much bumping and chucking. And the only solution is to call more fouls for a while, to clean up the game. I'm kinda sick of announcers promoting "physical play." I'd much rather see skill.

Shot Clock must be lowered. Too much standing around. Either a team intentionally stalls to keep the game low scoring or a team has a lead and stalls. College basketball is all about standing around for twenty seconds and throwing up a half-assed shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom