Hearing gross on his | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Hearing gross on his

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think SU can do better than Gross when the time comes. He was the right guy to bring SU into the modern era of D1 Athletics, and despite the fact it hamstrings football, he invested in the Olympic sports to raise their level.

However, he has put the Ath Dept in a difficult financial position and his response seems to be hiring more Sr. Exec Assoc AD's to travel with football and hoops. As that DO article last week said, a lot of teams are dealing with less than ideal facilities, and I've repeatedly stated my case that football needs more non-coaching support staff members to stay competitive with the P5 schools. I trust the next AD will have a better development plan, a much better marketing plan in terms of improving football attendance, and practice a bit more fiscal restraint.

This is all because of the Athletics home page and marketing issues, right?

I know that at Cornell at one time we have had projects in construction worth 500 million. that was late 80's but in any given year in the projects are 100-200 million most of the cost is debt and little of the money is actually accounted for before construction begins. you give us 20 million and we will build a 100 million worth of building and its almost all debt financed and hopefully donations cover some on the back end. I would think SU is doing much the same do having 300 million in debt doesnt mean they owe 300 million at any one time its likely spread out over a large number of years. and the endowment could actually cover it if they were forced too.. if i have 50,000 in a bank and buy a 20,000 car am i in debt 20K

...despite the fact it hamstrings football, he invested in the Olympic sports to raise their level.

What's the basis for that statement?

Based on the latest data that has been filed with the DOE (which is the only thing available) SU spent the 26th highest dollar amount on football in D1 and the 22nd highest percentage of total department expenses on football.

That doesn't seem to be starving football for resources.

Are we sure that SU Football spending doesn't include costs associated with using the Dome? If the Dome costs are included, it greatly inflates that spending total.

It's also been discussed for years on here that salaries for assistant coaches were below market value (this might have changed in the last year), support staff is smaller than most of the other P5 schools, and it took 4 years to get the locker/training room changes that were needed when Marrone was hired.

Meanwhile, WBB bleeds money since Q was hired, the tennis and w. lax coaches were being paid a combined $500 k per year, which I'd guess is at least double the amount most schools pay those coaches.

A thriving football program can help fund your Olympic sports, thriving Olympic sports aren't helping fund football.

Full_Rebar said:
Are we sure that SU Football spending doesn't include costs associated with using the Dome? If the Dome costs are included, it greatly inflates that spending total. It's also been discussed for years on here that salaries for assistant coaches were below market value (this might have changed in the last year), support staff is smaller than most of the other P5 schools, and it took 4 years to get the locker/training room changes that were needed when Marrone was hired. Meanwhile, WBB bleeds money since Q was hired, the tennis and w. lax coaches were being paid a combined $500 k per year, which I'd guess is at least double the amount most schools pay those coaches. A thriving football program can help fund your Olympic sports, thriving Olympic sports aren't helping fund football.

I believe it does include operating costs. On the flip side, unlike many schools, it does not include the cost of scholarships as those are paid for my the home school. In football that is about $4.5M.

I can't put my finger quite on why, but if Gross is ousted by the new Chancellor, I'd be offended. I'm a fan of Gross because he's more a visionary than a fiscal conservative. Let's be real, would you rather have Steve Jobs running things or Tim Cook? Tim Cook will make the numbers look great for a certain number of years, but as we're seeing, hasn't exactly shown a penchant for innovation. Innovation is typically expensive in the early going, but if successful, generates significant returns in the long term. The SU athletic department wasn't exactly in a great spot when Gross took over. I think we'd all agree that the SU athletic department is heading in the right direction, whether it be due to Gross or just dumb luck. SU has to ride this out and support Gross unless there is something catastrophic going on behind the scenes.

SU is not Wake Forest or Vanderbilt. SU has much more potential because of location and no large programs sitting close enough by to compete with. Shortsightedness could really crush things right now.

Are we sure that SU Football spending doesn't include costs associated with using the Dome? If the Dome costs are included, it greatly inflates that spending total.

It's also been discussed for years on here that salaries for assistant coaches were below market value (this might have changed in the last year), support staff is smaller than most of the other P5 schools, and it took 4 years to get the locker/training room changes that were needed when Marrone was hired.

Meanwhile, WBB bleeds money since Q was hired, the tennis and w. lax coaches were being paid a combined $500 k per year, which I'd guess is at least double the amount most schools pay those coaches.

A thriving football program can help fund your Olympic sports, thriving Olympic sports aren't helping fund football.

All that doesn't really answer my question. SU showed $10M more in revenue than expenses in 2012 for the athletic department. It's the only program in D-1 that reported greater than $25M in basketball revenue (2nd in D-1) and $33M (33rd in D-1) in football.

Every school uses football, or at least tries to, use football to fund the rest of their programs. Not sure what the scandal is there. There is no evidence that football is unduly burdened because of spending on other programs. In fact because SU is in a unique position based upon the cash flows from basketball that it is probably less impacted than the largest programs in the SEC/BIG/ND.

I'd be willing to bet that the Dome is owned by the University and leased by the Athletic Department. At least that's the way things would be structured in the "for profit" world. If it's setup in any other way, SU needs to hire a better set of legal consultants. Considering the large amount of $$$ that college sports generate, the risk of losing "non-profit" status for athletic departments (granted unlikely in the foreseeable future) would be too great. This is an easy way to "force" operations of an athletic department to net $0.

All that doesn't really answer my question. SU showed $10M more in revenue than expenses in 2012 for the athletic department. It's the only program in D-1 that reported greater than $25M in basketball revenue (2nd in D-1) and $33M (33rd in D-1) in football.

Every school uses football, or at least tries to, use football to fund the rest of their programs. Not sure what the scandal is there. There is no evidence that football is unduly burdened because of spending on other programs. In fact because SU is in a unique position based upon the cash flows from basketball that it is probably less impacted than the largest programs in the SEC/BIG/ND.

Based upon my experiences working on campus, very few believe that the Ath Dept made $10 million profit in 2012. There is not a lot of trust and that's why the University Senate Budget committee is begging for Athletics to open their books. This article claims that $7.4 million was given to subsidize Athletics so something doesn't add up- http://dailyorange.com/2014/04/budget-report-outlines-issues-facing-su/

Based upon my experiences working on campus, very few believe that the Ath Dept made $10 million profit in 2012. There is not a lot of trust and that's why the University Senate Budget committee is begging for Athletics to open their books. This article claims that $7.4 million was given to subsidize Athletics so something doesn't add up- http://dailyorange.com/2014/04/budget-report-outlines-issues-facing-su/
if people inside the school don't know and the budget committee doesn't know, aye yi yi. what in the world was cantor doing?

I know that at Cornell at one time we have had projects in construction worth 500 million. that was late 80's but in any given year in the projects are 100-200 million most of the cost is debt and little of the money is actually accounted for before construction begins. you give us 20 million and we will build a 100 million worth of building and its almost all debt financed and hopefully donations cover some on the back end. I would think SU is doing much the same do having 300 million in debt doesnt mean they owe 300 million at any one time its likely spread out over a large number of years. and the endowment could actually cover it if they were forced too.. if i have 50,000 in a bank and buy a 20,000 car am i in debt 20K

This memory could be faulty, so take it with a grain of salt, but I was under the impression that SU has a couple large balloon payments coming due in the middle of this decade.

Now that debt could certainly be restructured, but I don't believe it was originally taken on in a borrower-friendly fashion.

Daryl Gross in his own words: Reflecting on 10 years as athletic director and looking to the future (part three of five)

On approaching 10 years in Syracuse (Gross was hired in December of 2004):
"It has gone so fast. My oldest daughter is going to Syracuse next year. It was between USC and Syracuse, and she chose Syracuse. It feels so good. I am really happy for her. My 13-year old wants to go here, too.

"We have had two little girls born here in Syracuse. Syracuse is our home. We love it here. The people have been so awesome. Our neighbors have been just fantastic. It is just such a close knit group of people. It has been wonderful for us. We have a lot of energy and a lot of passion. I feel like it is just the tip of the iceberg and have a lot more to bring."

On if he can see himself in Syracuse for the next 10 years:
"I see myself trying to make this program the best in the country. That is what is my passion is. That we can do it. That we can graduate all our student-athletes. That we can give our student-athletes the best experience possible. That they can go out and be global leaders. That is what we are trying to do here. I love doing that. That’s what we do for a living and we are all passionate about it. That’s our mission.”

Good I am glad Dr. Gross looks like he is sticking around. He isn't perfect, but he strives for Syracuse excellence on the fields/court and has always had the time to talk to me when I went up to him, and answer my emails pretty quickly which is really classy.
I hope he is around for the long haul.

Daryl Gross in his own words: Reflecting on 10 years as athletic director and looking to the future (part three of five)

On approaching 10 years in Syracuse (Gross was hired in December of 2004):
"It has gone so fast. My oldest daughter is going to Syracuse next year. It was between USC and Syracuse, and she chose Syracuse. It feels so good. I am really happy for her. My 13-year old wants to go here, too.

"We have had two little girls born here in Syracuse. Syracuse is our home. We love it here. The people have been so awesome. Our neighbors have been just fantastic. It is just such a close knit group of people. It has been wonderful for us. We have a lot of energy and a lot of passion. I feel like it is just the tip of the iceberg and have a lot more to bring."

"I see myself trying to make this program the best in the country. That is what is my passion is. That we can do it. That we can graduate all our student-athletes. That we can give our student-athletes the best experience possible. That they can go out and be global leaders. That is what we are trying to do here. I love doing that. That’s what we do for a living and we are all passionate about it. That’s our mission.”
Would love to hear Gilardino's reply now about the rumor he heard. Sure doesn't sound like someone that is heading out the door. I think Gilley needs to get a new source of info.

Would love to hear Gilardino's reply now about the rumor he heard. Sure doesn't sound like someone that is heading out the door. I think Gilley needs to get a new source of info.

Just because there was a transfer from that pool doesn't necessarily mean that athletics was a net expense.

Good I am glad Dr. Gross looks like he is sticking around. He isn't perfect, but he strives for Syracuse excellence on the fields/court and has always had the time to talk to me when I went up to him, and answer my emails pretty quickly which is really classy.
I hope he is around for the long haul.

agreed Brent's interview definitely makes it feel like TGD isn't going anywhere. Wonder what is really happening? Is he being forced out?

agreed Brent's interview definitely makes it feel like TGD is going anywhere. Wonder what is really happening? Is he being forced out?
Think whomever Gilley is talking to is blowing smoke.

Just because there was a transfer from that pool doesn't necessarily mean that athletics was a net expense.

If not, why no explanation then? That's what people on campus are trying to figure out because the ACC $ is so much higher, and people want to know why this money went to Athletics and what it was used for

Ok now I'm definitely reading too much into this, but that is a very PC answer. He could have just said... Heck ya, I definitely want to be here. Seeing myself trying to make this program great could mean a lot of things, including stepping away to let someone else take the reins, ala Marrone.

Ok now I'm definitely reading too much into this, but that is a very PC answer. He could have just said... Heck ya, I definitely want to be here. Seeing myself trying to make this program great could mean a lot of things, including stepping away to let someone else take the reins, ala Marrone.

exactly how i read that

Deano said:

He's not the only one that was hearing that this weekend.

jr4750 said:

Yea, he didn't answer the question at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom