Hearing: | Syracusefan.com

Hearing:

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
One man's opinion, but he has been attending SU FB practices for about 25 years)

Defense looks very good. D line big and strong, but untested. LBs and DBs looking good.
Allen seems to be the guy. Thinks he is a good one.
O-line looks good, but hold your breath for no injuries.
RB as good as we thought.
WR - Help!

FWIW.

I agree with this but I just don't see the major concern at receiver. West was not the "go to" last year maybe if he was he would've had better stats. He is more than capable. I think Broyld is gonna hold his own and have a few really good games but maybe some not so good. Flemming made some nice grabs at fan fest and I am pretty sure he scored at the fort drum scrimmage. Chris Clark played a decent amount last year. Kobena also has some game experience. We have Brisly Estime already playing with the 2s. I was impressed with Cornelius at fan fest. Ben Lewis was turning some heads this pre season. Kinder is also there now. Plus we have Wales at TE. I think we will be just fine.. I am more worried about our line.

Of course this is from limited observation and maybe this guy has seen a lot more practices than me.

One man's opinion, but he has been attending SU FB practices for about 25 years)

Defense looks very good. D line big and strong, but untested. LBs and DBs looking good.
WR - Help!

FWIW.

You wonder why we went after WRs late last year (Winfield, Cooper) when Shafer took over - and have been hard after KJ Williams/Ishmael this year? I sure as heck don't. Although I will say our DBs are as good this year as we have ever had IMO - and that may make our WRs look worse than they actually are.

Was hopeful on Funderburk being a guy on the outside - now looking more at Broyld/Estime as those playmaker types for our offense.

I think we are in for a similar type of offense this season as last - not a ton of big plays down the field - but I think if we can get the two guys I mentioned out into space a little bit, they can create some bigger gains and open things up a little bit for the RBs.

We need WRs that can 1) get separation and 2) win 50/50 balls.
Until I see that in a game, I'm going to be worried.

I think West did this last year. Be it on a limited basis but that was because he was behind lemon and sales.

Although I will say our DBs are as good this year as we have ever had IMO - and that may make our WRs look worse than they actually are.

I am hoping this is the case. Looking at West's stats from last year, was he hurt at all? His stats dropped off after the USF game big time. 9 catches in the last 5 games! I for one am not sure he is a #1 receiver. I hope the young guys step up.

WR - Help!

FWIW.
Whoa, this kind of stuff is usually reserved for the pay side...

I am hoping this is the case. Looking at West's stats from last year, was he hurt at all? His stats dropped off after the USF game big time. 9 catches in the last 5 games! I for one am not sure he is a #1 receiver. I hope the young guys step up.

At the same time though, there were only so many catches to go around. Over that same span, Lemon had 35 catches and Sales had 18. That's nearly 11 completions per game right there, and that's not even including the 13 catches that Wales had or the 10 catches PTG had over hat same span.

West needs to get more consistent for sure, but he's at least proven he's capable of putting up strong numbers. The second half of the season just became the Jerome Smith and Alec Lemon show.

At the same time though, there were only so many catches to go around. Over that same span, Lemon had 35 catches and Sales had 18. That's nearly 11 completions per game right there, and that's not even including the 13 catches that Wales had or the 10 catches PTG had over hat same span.

West needs to get more consistent for sure, but he's at least proven he's capable of putting up strong numbers. The second half of the season just became the Jerome Smith and Alec Lemon show.

Couldnt agree more. It's not like he was dropping balls.

We seem to have a lot of talent, just not a lot of experience. My guess is the drops are more related to a) going up against some pretty good cb's, as has been suggested, and b) the guys pressing a little bit to perform under pressure. (Hopefully this part works itself out. Following that, I would expect this group to just get better and better as the season wears on, with experience and as roles are more clearly defined.

I think what's happening at WR is we have the unenviable problem of lots of bodies without anyone that is really standing out. Just a nondescript unit. This might be one of those seasons where we have like 9 different guys catch 15+ passes, and the leading receiver has 35 or something.*

*That's not likely actually, since West had 38 last season and PTG had 33.

55-60k overall right?

so 25k Cuse and 35k PSU?

hard to tell because myself along with others purchased tickets via groupon/ticketmaster.

I think what's happening at WR is we have the unenviable problem of lots of bodies without anyone that is really standing out. Just a nondescript unit. This might be one of those seasons where we have like 9 different guys catch 15+ passes, and the leading receiver has 35 or something.*

*That's not likely actually, since West had 38 last season and PTG had 33.

That last part makes me wonder though...could PTG wind up being our leading receiver, in terms of receptions? Kind of a Brian Westbrook sort of thing? I wouldn't put it outside the realm of possibility...

I think West will get 50 catches, but I could also see either PTG or Wales being a surprise leader in receptions.

So we are gonna be out numbered 2:1?

probably - that's not too bad given the size of the alumni/fan bases

the capacity of the stadiums is a little > than 2:1 PSU to SU

I agree with this but I just don't see the major concern at receiver. West was not the "go to" last year maybe if he was he would've had better stats. He is more than capable. I think Broyld is gonna hold his own and have a few really good games but maybe some not so good. Flemming made some nice grabs at fan fest and I am pretty sure he scored at the fort drum scrimmage. Chris Clark played a decent amount last year. Kobena also has some game experience. We have Brisly Estime already playing with the 2s. I was impressed with Cornelius at fan fest. Ben Lewis was turning some heads this pre season. Kinder is also there now. Plus we have Wales at TE. I think we will be just fine.. I am more worried about our line.

Of course this is from limited observation and maybe this guy has seen a lot more practices than me.

When we needed a catch, we went to Sales and Lemon - Sales in my opinion was the most reliable WR on the team last year.

West had many bad drops.

The young guys need to step up - Estime, Broyld. .

So we are gonna be out numbered 2:1?

Possibly...remember PSU has a ton of fans in Eastern PA and NY Metro. Plus this will be their Bowl game.

I'll be very happy if we have a legit 25k there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom