Hello from a first time Clemson visitor! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hello from a first time Clemson visitor!

Like I said, it's worth it in my opinion, and you are guaranteed to not hit any traffic backups, which you can't say about I-90. You can also knock some mileage off by taking a ferry across Lake Champlain (little known fact: home to the oldest known coral reef) instead of going up and over. It won't save any time, but it's a nice respite from driving.
or you can just take the Thruway to Albany then 87 north to Route 7/Exit 7 (Troy) to Bennigton VT. 7 then turns into 9 and runs along the southern border of VT to Keene, NH then eventually turns into 202 into Concord, NH. Absolutely stunning drive this time of year. You can then drive from Concord to Portsmouth, NH (4/202 to 16)which is a great little town to spend an evening.

Last edited:
You Clemson fans got lucky, if the weather holds, this is probably the most beautiful time in upstate NY. Really look forward to the drive up 17 and 81, always gorgeous in the early Fall.

Does Clemson still distribute those $2 bills with the tiger paw on them. I think that's one of the greatest promotions of all time.

Just picked up $300 dollars in $2 bills. They are harder to come by but they will be floating around with Tiger Paws stamped on them. Had a restraurant in Boston refuse to take them, thought they were counterfeit.

You and TigerSmith are welcome to stop by the Fine Lot tailgate if you like. $5 gets you all the food and drink you can handle.

This is our board tailgate, it is on the corner of Raynor and Henry. We will be happy to show you some Northern hospitality!

If you go, you might want to park at the Dr Weeks Elementary School (416 E Raynor Ave) and walk up the hill on Castle St to get under I-81 and on track to the Dome. Our tailgate is right on the way up the hill to the Dome.
your funny...it's martin luther king school,son

it's about a 5-7 minute walk to the fine lot tailgate and about a 10 minute walk to the dome. I park there for most games

We're vacationing until Thursday and then will be flying home from Providence, RI so we don't have to backtrack to fly back to the south.
try and go to Gloucster Mass. and check out the fishing fleets and maybe catch an auction where they bid many thousands for one blue fin tuna. plus the boat from the perfect storm is docked there and have a few beers in the crowsnest bar.

Boston is a great town also

Portland is definitely an underrated city. Great food there. Not surprisingly, I had the best lobster of my life at a restaurant there, though I'm not sure it's even still open. EDIT: it is still open. DiMillo's on the Water is the name. It's a seafood restaurant on a big boat.

I'd also suggest checking out Ogunquit, it's a beautiful town right on the coast. Marginal Way is definitely worth a look if you don't mind doing a little walking.

Oh, and while you're in upstate New York...if you're a baseball fan and don't swing through Cooperstown then you're crazy. Not only do you get to check out the Hall of Fame, but the town itself is really a pretty little town, and the Ommegang Brewery is right nearby and makes high quality beer. I did a tour there a few years ago and they had a blues festival at the same time...that was awesome.

Portland is definitely an underrated city. Great food there. Not surprisingly, I had the best lobster of my life at a restaurant there, though I'm not sure it's even still open.

I'd also suggest checking out Ogunquit, it's a beautiful town right on the coast. Marginal Way is definitely worth a look if you don't mind doing a little walking.
did they all ready have their annual seafood fest.?

You mean y'all.
I lost a lot of my accent when I moved to the midwest. To be honest I don't use y'all that much anymore. It comes back when I'm down south though.

I lost a lot of my accent when I moved to the midwest. To be honest I don't use y'all that much anymore. It comes back when I'm down south though.
I'm so sad to report that since I moved to Texas in 2005, "y'all" has become of my vernacular. Nothing against people who say y'all, but I'm a proud New Englander, damnit.

I'm so sad to report that since I moved to Texas in 2005, "y'all" has become of my vernacular. Nothing against people who say y'all, but I'm a proud New Englander, damnit.

As a native New Englander myself, I tweet Texan. "Y'all" is a character saver.

It would suit me fine to stay in NY all week. My wife has told me many times and in no uncertain terms that she WILL eat lobster on this trip and that she WILL eat it on or near the coast of Maine. Once football is over I think I better aim for Maine if I know what's good for me. I was also hoping to take in a show at the Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield, ME but they don't have anything on their schedule next week. I guess I'll have to come back on my terms sometime, eh?
Kennybunkport has a great place called All Day Breakfast. Wife can do Christmas shopping at LLBean

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Kennybunkport has a great place called All Day Breakfast. Wife can do Christmas shopping at LLBean

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
I'd just say also, the entire south coast of Maine is pretty great. We used to drive over from Vermont and do our school shopping in Kittery, and visited places like Ogunquit and Portland and everything in between each summer. Loved that area.

Wow! I go to work for a few hours and come back to see that I have created quite a stir! You guys are definitely ok... must be the orange.

I'm taking down the addresses for all these tailgates and will try to get by to say "hello." We're actually staying in Armory Square so it sounds like we'll be able to walk to a lot of these recommended venues.

I look forward to meeting some of you!

If in Armory Square, I highly recommend Kitty Hoynes.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. There is no way we can hit all these places in the time allotted but every suggestion sounds great. It's going to be a good week.

If you're staying at the new hotel in Armory Square, Kitty Hoynes is directly across the street. It's the first place I hit whenever I go to Syracuse. Enjoy your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom