Help Wanted | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Help Wanted

I've see Penn State have ads up on campus for this same thing, everyone calm down and come back form the ledge. Every school does this...

I'M COMING HOME!!

As a high schooler, we would go up to Coyne to play on the the turf and I could kick 40 yard FGs with regularity...

Would SU allow me to come back as a 5th year graduate or have I used up my eligibility by graduating?

I smell Invincible II in my future - story about a quasi-senior citizen who comes back to college and kicks the game-winning field goal in the national championship game and wins both the Lou Groza award and the Heisman...

What is Mark Wahlberg up to these days?

The gist (from what I recall) of Baber’s re: walkons is that he obviously knows the private school makes it tougher to get quality walkons. It’s not to uncover a gem who’s going to be a front line player, it’s for practice. More bodies means they can do more reps and more quality reps. They can have 4 and 5 full offenses going 90mph against 4 and 5 full defenses. Constant and with all units getting a ton of reps.

If you have the transcript from that Thanksgiving radio show they talked about it.

The gist (from what I recall) of Baber’s re: walkons is that he obviously knows the private school makes it tougher to get quality walkons. It’s not to uncover a gem who’s going to be a front line player, it’s for practice. More bodies means they can do more reps and more quality reps. They can have 4 and 5 full offenses going 90mph against 4 and 5 full defenses. Constant and with all units getting a ton of reps.

If you have the transcript from that Thanksgiving radio show they talked about it.
right, spring numbers will be light. They need bodies to run the system.

I did this back in '81/'82... didn't need an invite, just walked into Manley and told 'me that I wanted to try out. Ended up spending a semester with the team and getting 1 credit hour on my transcript. I believe that I was their plan C or D to replace Gary Anderson and his successor. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
I remember there were tryouts in the spring of 1988 for walk-ons. A guy on my floor tried out for PK. He also tried out for cheerleading after the FB thing didn't work out. I think he just tried out for everything.

Some of the pwos they took in last year played this seaon on special teams.

My roommate was a walk on in this capacity. He tried out three years in a row if I recall (soph - senior). I think it was Casullo who cut him the first year because he wasn't big enough. I think he was aiming for OL at that point. He broke his arm the second year, but was encouraged by the guys on the team to try again and made the team the third year as a defensive lineman (senior year). I think they alternated him between tackle and end, but because of his size, they also stuck him at LB for scout team. He was about 6'-1" and probably 250 playing weight. He didn't travel and he didn't suit up for every home game if I remember right, but all that said, they took everybody to the bowl that year and that dismantling of Clemson was the only time he saw the field in his "career".

That said, he can claim to have "sacked" Donovan McNabb (slipped the gap and read the pitch right) and to have dropped into pass coverage on Marvin Harrison. He played D-line for Ed Orgeron. Later in life when meeting Dwayne Johnson, this was a bond they shared. He got his a$$ kicked regularly, but kept coming back for more because he loved being a part of it. I think Coach P had a soft spot for him.

I don't think there is a limit to how many non-scholarship players you can practice with, but I may be wrong about that. That is a likely benefit. I remember there being at least 6-7 guys that made the team that way. One was an RB who lived on my floor freshman year. He may have seen legit garbage time IIRC.

I don't think there is a limit to how many non-scholarship players you can practice with, but I may be wrong about that. That is a likely benefit. I remember there being at least 6-7 guys that made the team that way. One was an RB who lived on my floor freshman year. He may have seen legit garbage time IIRC.

You're allowed a max of 20 walk-ons until either Fall classes begin or your 1st game. They you can add more.

EDIT:

17.10.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants—Bowl Subdivision. [FBS]
In bowl subdivision football, there shall be a limit of 105 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 12/15/06)

I guess you could have more walk-ons if you're below the 85 scholarship limit.

Last edited:
I've see Penn State have ads up on campus for this same thing, everyone calm down and come back form the ledge. Every school does this...

what are you talking about?? this obviously means Dino is leaving and all the players are leaving with him!! it's horrible! it's over!

The only difference is that it was posted to twitter. I'm sure there are flyers up on campus at Syracuse too and have been in the past.

The only difference is that it was posted to twitter. I'm sure there are flyers up on campus at Syracuse too and have been in the past.
And I'm sure other P5 schools do the same thing. I'm sure websites for the football teams have info etc etc

Wouldn't soccer players be able to have more finesse and accuracy when kicking the ball than a FG kicker or punter? Give them one job to learn, onside kicks. We obviously need one. Could work brilliantly.

You're allowed a max of 20 walk-ons until either Fall classes begin or your 1st game. They you can add more.

EDIT:

17.10.2.1.2 Limit on Number of Participants—Bowl Subdivision. [FBS]
In bowl subdivision football, there shall be a limit of 105 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier. (Adopted: 1/11/94, Revised: 12/15/06)

I guess you could have more walk-ons if you're below the 85 scholarship limit.

Ah yes, the Bama rule.

Bear Bryant used to abuse the walk on system real bad back in the day.

Trivia Question? What "colleges" in the FBS routinely go over the 25/85?

Open Tryout is how Texas State found their kicker back in the day

Kathy-Ireland-Necessary-Roughness.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom