Here's the long and short of it... | Syracusefan.com

Here's the long and short of it...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Anyone that brings up "We got crushed by Georgetown last year and made the Final Four, stop talking bad about the team!" needs to be quiet. Georgetown was a top 10 team last year, and we got crushed at their place. You know how you can see the signs of a bad team? One that doesn't hold down the home court.

It's one thing to not win on your home court against a Duke, etc... but we're losing to LITERALLY the worst teams in the ACC. This is not Georgetown of last year, this is much, much worse.

Be prepared, we may only play three more games this year. I HATE saying this, because I love Syracuse basketball more than life, but this team is fundamentally broken. This was a 'get back' game. A game to get back their mojo a little and build momentum moving forward. Instead, unbelievably they continued the tail spin. Unfortunately it's not unbelievable any more.

This team may end up a 3 or 4 seed, but with the way they're playing, they should be closer to a 9 or 10 seed.

I'm still rooting for them to turn it around. I still hold out hope that it will happen, because it has before. I just don't see any way this team cures its offensive AND defensive woes that quickly. I know I'll probably be hammered by folks like Marsh (who I respect BECAUSE of his optimism) but I just don't see it anymore. I don't know how they get better, because it just doesn't look like a functional team right now. And frankly, it hasn't looked like one in about two months.

Passing the ball to CJ at elbow-extended or running a ball-screen with an ineffectual Center is NOT offense or coaching…it's the opposite of that. Opposing coaches have figured our players out. The coaches need to actually coach. You can't play 2-3 zone and run no offense for an entire season.

A Clockwork Orange said:
Anyone that brings up "We got crushed by Georgetown last year and made the Final Four, stop talking bad about the team!" needs to be quiet. Georgetown was a top 10 team last year, and we got crushed at their place. You know how you can see the signs of a bad team? One that doesn't hold down the home court. It's one thing to not win on your home court against a Duke, etc... but we're losing to LITERALLY the worst teams in the ACC. This is not Georgetown of last year, this is much, much worse. Be prepared, we may only play three more games this year. I HATE saying this, because I love Syracuse basketball more than life, but this team is fundamentally broken. This was a 'get back' game. A game to get back their mojo a little and build momentum moving forward. Instead, unbelievably they continued the tail spin. Unfortunately it's not unbelievable any more. This team may end up a 3 or 4 seed, but with the way they're playing, they should be closer to a 9 or 10 seed. I'm still rooting for them to turn it around. I still hold out hope that it will happen, because it has before. I just don't see any way this team cures its offensive AND defensive woes that quickly. I know I'll probably be hammered by folks like Marsh (who I respect BECAUSE of his optimism) but I just don't see it anymore. I don't know how they get better, because it just doesn't look like a functional team right now. And frankly, it hasn't looked like one in about two months.
I know what you are saying, and I am not a big PBR drinker (blasphemy)...but I agree with Marsh. JB looks at the season in groups (OOC, conference, conf tourney, The Real Season--March Madness) I've learned to not give up on a Cuse team.

Why does this team remind me of a Mick Cronin coached team offensively. The love affair with the zone has led to ineffectively. Honestly a good team even without Grant should have won by 20. This team is not capable of that.

Passing the ball to CJ at elbow-extended or running a ball-screen with an ineffectual Center is NOT offense or coaching…it's the opposite of that. Opposing coaches have figured our players out. The coaches need to actually coach. You can't play 2-3 zone and run no offense for an entire season.

Your post will be ignored by most but it is 100% accurate.

I have an idea...how 'bout we let this play out before we pull a Jonestown. We played very well before and if everyone gets healthy there's no reason we can't play very well again. You guys should have great leg strength from jumping on and off the bandwagon...

They are the worst team in the ACC. Right now. Not playing like a team that even belongs in the tournament. I want to see how Marsh Boehiem spins this game.

It's been a strange season, not sure how many more times I can say it.

I have an idea...how 'bout we let this play out before we pull a Jonestown. We played very well before and if everyone gets healthy there's no reason we can't play very well again. You guys should have great leg strength from jumping on and off the bandwagon...
Seriously, shut up. I haven't jumped off any bandwagon. Never been a band wagon fan, never will be. I bleed orange and have my entire life. Saying that this team is fundamentally broken isn't being a "bandwagon" fan. You know what it is? IT'S BEING REALISTIC. I am so sick of hearing people say that "You're a bandwagoner!" because you point out issues with the team -- and right now there are a lot of issues with this team.

Reminds me of people who were excoriated in 2003 when they disliked the idea of going to war with Iraq. "YOU'RE NOT PATRIOTIC!" Give it a rest.

I love this team, and every Syracuse team I've ever rooted for. I even loved the '01-'02 team (believe it or not). That's why I'm so depressed and upset about all of this. This team is broke and it doesn't seem like anyone knows what to do to fix it (including coach). I hold out hope that they can turn things around, and I'll watch every second of every game remaining. But I don't think it's out of line to say that right now, this team has serious problems. And I also don't know why I can't say that on a Syracuse sports forum without people telling me I'm a bandwagon fan. That's complete and utter bull sh it. I have a different opinion than you, so that makes me a bandwagon fan? NO, that makes me someone with a different opinion.

Somehow winning in Tallahassee would get some mojo back. It will be extremely tough to beat them down there without Grant considering the size they have. Hell, Miller tonight was like Dwight Howard.

Why are there not more players cutting when we drive. Why? I do think we lack the kind of creators and iso players to play the style of ball that JB likes but can't something be done?

Other than injuries, the only difference in the last 5 games is that we are not hitting our shots. That can change at anytime. When we were hitting our shots, it was much easier to get back and set up the zone. We did not have to try for as many staeals or traps and as a result be out of position and leave someone wide open. It also puts alot more pressure on our opponent to keep up with us, instead of building confidence the longer we miss and allow the score to remain close.

Somehow winning in Tallahassee would get some mojo back. It will be extremely tough to beat them down there without Grant considering the size they have. Hell, Miller tonight was like Dwight Howard.

Why are there not more players cutting when we drive. Why? I do think we lack the kind of creators and iso players to play the style of ball that JB likes but can't something be done?

They are standing around like an NBA offense. It's been happening for 2 months.

Seriously, shut up. I haven't jumped off any bandwagon. Never been a band wagon fan, never will be. I bleed orange and have my entire life. Saying that this team is fundamentally broken isn't being a "bandwagon" fan. You know what it is? IT'S BEING REALISTIC. I am so sick of hearing people say that "You're a bandwagoner!" because you point out issues with the team -- and right now there are a lot of issues with this team.

Reminds me of people who were excoriated in 2003 when they disliked the idea of going to war with Iraq. "YOU'RE NOT PATRIOTIC!" Give it a rest.

I love this team, and every Syracuse team I've ever rooted for. I even loved the '01-'02 team (believe it or not). That's why I'm so depressed and upset about all of this. This team is broke and it doesn't seem like anyone knows what to do to fix it (including coach). I hold out hope that they can turn things around, and I'll watch every second of every game remaining. But I don't think it's out of line to say that right now, this team has serious problems. And I also don't know why I can't say that on a Syracuse sports forum without people telling me I'm a bandwagon fan. That's complete and utter bull sh it.
Agree 100%. I live and die with this team too but there's way too many problems to ignore at this point. This loss can't be blamed on the officials or an opponent getting red hot from 3; we were out played and out coached by a bottom tier conference opponent. If you're looking for a positive spin, we're not going to be the 1st 1 seed to lose to a 16.

Other than injuries, the only difference in the last 5 games is that we are not hitting our shots. That can change at anytime. When we were hitting our shots, it was much easier to get back and set up the zone. We did not have to try for as many staeals or traps and as a result be out of position and leave someone wide open. It also puts alot more pressure on our opponent to keep up with us, instead of building confidence the longer we miss and allow the score to remain close.
And I'm heartened that CJ seems to be playing better of late. Trevor just doesn't seem to have it, and if he doesn't pick it up it will be a quick postseason. Not having Grant obviously hurts, but SU should be able to take out Ga. Tech at home on Senior Night without Jerami.

I love this team, and every Syracuse team I've ever rooted for. I even loved the '01-'02 team (believe it or not). That's why I'm so depressed and upset about all of this. This team is broke and it doesn't seem like anyone knows what to do to fix it (including coach). I hold out hope that they can turn things around, and I'll watch every second of every game remaining. But I don't think it's out of line to say that right now, this team has serious problems. And I also don't know why I can't say that on a Syracuse sports forum without people telling me I'm a bandwagon fan. That's complete and utter bull sh it. I have a different opinion than you, so that makes me a bandwagon fan? NO, that makes me someone with a different opinion.

Not necessarily pointed at you, specifically. If it was, I would have quoted your post. It was a general statement. You really ARE on the edge.

And I'm heartened that CJ seems to be playing better of late. Trevor just doesn't seem to have it, and if he doesn't pick it up it will be a quick postseason. Not having Grant obviously hurts, but SU should be able to take out Ga. Tech at home on Senior Night without Jerami.

Trevor needs to stop thinking and just react. Seems like he has got the " I need to make this one" syndrome. Much harder to make a shot when thinking about the moment than just catching the ball, going up and shooting it. Reminds me of bar league softball and the guy that wants to hit the ball to a certain spot,. Then gets up to bat and hits a popup to the pitcher. Trying to hard instead of just going with it.The whole team needs to be more decisive on offense. Stop jab stepping 3 times then pull up or pump faking twice before jacking a 3. Start receiving a pass and instantly be moving with the ball. We are not making defenders leave their man to help out, and when we do, we are not kicking the ball out to the open shooter. Instead we throw up a wild/awkward looking prayer that results in a fastbreak the other way.

Not necessarily pointed at you, specifically. If it was, I would have quoted your post. It was a general statement. You really ARE on the edge.
My bad, although you're responding in a thread I created. Thought it was obvious who you were responding to. And even if it wasn't directed at me, the point still stands that calling folks bandwagon fans because they are concerned that the team is going down the shi tter is ridiculous on your part.

And no, I'm not on the edge, but thanks for caring. Maybe instead of trying to tell other people how they should be acting, you should be explaining what makes YOU think this team will be competitive in the conference tourney and the NCAA's.

I see two things that will make that happen:

1) Grant being healthy and
2) Trevor making shots

If those two things don't happen, it will be very, very tough for this team to make any noise.

It's simple. With a healthy Grant and if Cooney gets on a hot streak, we can still make the FF4. Without a healthy Grant and if Cooney continues to brick them, we could lose in the first round. I hope the former comes true. Let's Go Orange!

During last year's stretch of 4 losses in 5 games: all 4 losses were to top 25 teams, including Gtown twice, and 2 road games. And the win was by 20 points.

This is a much worse swoon, IMO.

I agree. Being ranked as high as we are and to lose two home games in such a short span to two of the leagues worst teams is beyond brutal. Two of the worst late season home losses I can recall...ever.

My bad, although you're responding in a thread I created. Thought it was obvious who you were responding to. And even if it wasn't directed at me, the point still stands that calling folks bandwagon fans because they are concerned that the team is going down the shi tter is ridiculous on your part.

And no, I'm not on the edge, but thanks for caring. Maybe instead of trying to tell other people how they should be acting, you should be explaining what makes YOU think this team will be competitive in the conference tourney and the NCAA's.

I see two things that will make that happen:

1) Grant being healthy and
2) Trevor making shots

If those two things don't happen, it will be very, very tough for this team to make any noise.

I don't know that they will be competitive. I would rather lose every game leading to the tourney if it meant a healthy and fresh team. These guys are banged up and tired. Ennis needs to be more of a threat from the start and the ball needs to go down low, either to Rak or a healthy Grant. Grant is really the key. With him, we are very good on the glass and make teams respect the inside game. Without him, we give up far too many offensive boards and second chance scores. When teams have to respect the game in the paint, they simply can't cover the perimeter the way they have been. For the most part, TC is not getting great looks. It also goes without saying that Grant allows us become a dominant offensive rebounding team, something that is vital to a team that doesn't shoot great.

I don't really care if you are on the edge or not, but the doomsaying is harder to deal with than the team. A healthy, rested team will make noise. I know I should just ignore this crap but I won't. And when I say bandwagon fans, I'm talking about the ones that are over the top when we are going well (team and players), and then when we are struggling, they are over the top the other way, railing against the coach, the team, and individual players. That is the definition of a bandwagon fan and we have lots of them. Go read the posts from earlier in the season and then now. Same posters...different conclusion. You can bet your last cent that if these guys get on a roll and TC gets hot, he will no longer suck, JB will be beyond reproach again, and the team will be discussed in reverent tones...again.

This team has won a lot of ugly games and now has lost some. Same team only with a hurt Grant. Cooney hits just two shots and Rak plays decent offensively (Actually sees the ball in his defense) and it's a win, they didn't and it's a loss. The margin of error is incredibly low for this team and has been ALL YEAR.

A Clockwork Orange said:
Anyone that brings up "We got crushed by Georgetown last year and made the Final Four, stop talking bad about the team!" needs to be quiet. Georgetown was a top 10 team last year, and we got crushed at their place. You know how you can see the signs of a bad team? One that doesn't hold down the home court. It's one thing to not win on your home court against a Duke, etc... but we're losing to LITERALLY the worst teams in the ACC. This is not Georgetown of last year, this is much, much worse. Be prepared, we may only play three more games this year. I HATE saying this, because I love Syracuse basketball more than life, but this team is fundamentally broken. This was a 'get back' game. A game to get back their mojo a little and build momentum moving forward. Instead, unbelievably they continued the tail spin. Unfortunately it's not unbelievable any more. This team may end up a 3 or 4 seed, but with the way they're playing, they should be closer to a 9 or 10 seed. I'm still rooting for them to turn it around. I still hold out hope that it will happen, because it has before. I just don't see any way this team cures its offensive AND defensive woes that quickly. I know I'll probably be hammered by folks like Marsh (who I respect BECAUSE of his optimism) but I just don't see it anymore. I don't know how they get better, because it just doesn't look like a functional team right now. And frankly, it hasn't looked like one in about two months.

Duly noted and filed for late March.

Leaving all those points at the line (7-16) alone could have been the difference in the game. It certainly was a big part of it. GT, on the other hand, was nailing theirs at the end. Although they did miss the front end of some one and ones after fouls during the press, which helped us stay in the game. I wouldn't mind seeing the team throw a random press or half court trap now and then to keep teams off balance, and to have game practice for when they need it again like this game. It did seem to have an effect in the game, even with all the naysayers on board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom