Here's the long and short of it... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here's the long and short of it...

Leaving all those points at the line (7-16) alone could have been the difference in the game. It certainly was a big part of it. GT, on the other hand, was nailing theirs at the end. Although they did miss the front end of some one and ones after fouls during the press, which helped us stay in the game. I wouldn't mind seeing the team throw a random press or half court trap now and then to keep teams off balance, and to have game practice for when they need it again like this game. It did seem to have an effect in the game, even with all the naysayers on board.

With the exception of the wide open layups and dunks, yes, the press had an effect in the game. You risk those type of things with a press, but ours has been shaky all year, granted it's been a small sample size.

Other than injuries, the only difference in the last 5 games is that we are not hitting our shots. That can change at anytime. When we were hitting our shots, it was much easier to get back and set up the zone. We did not have to try for as many staeals or traps and as a result be out of position and leave someone wide open. It also puts alot more pressure on our opponent to keep up with us, instead of building confidence the longer we miss and allow the score to remain close.

The idea that we are simply not hitting our shots oversimplifies the problem.

-We are not rebounding nearly as well.
-We are not taking advantage of second chance opportunities nearly as well, which of course shows up in a lower shooting percentage because we are getting less around the basket and taking more jumpers.
-The downturn in rebounding has amplified the second chance issue because now, not only are we failing to put our put back opportunities in the hoop...but we have fewer of them AND our opponents are getting more of them.
- Our interior defense and rotations haven't been nearly as good since Grant was first injured, heck it may have even begun with Baye's injury.
- We aren't turning our opponents over as much, or at least it seems that way to me.
- We aren't blocking as many shots
- Our drives to the basket result in more weak sauce shots than I can ever remember from a Syracuse team...I feel like a unusually high percentage of our shots in the paint are getting blocked, missed and we aren't drawing fouls. I wouldn't call them missed bunnies because they are defended shots we just seem too easy to defend when we take the ball to the hole.
- It seems like we are settling for a lot of long jump shots
- Other than CJ and some times Tyler it doesn't seem like anyone is taking shots with any level of confidence.

Seriously, shut up. I haven't jumped off any bandwagon. Never been a band wagon fan, never will be. I bleed orange and have my entire life. Saying that this team is fundamentally broken isn't being a "bandwagon" fan. You know what it is? IT'S BEING REALISTIC. I am so sick of hearing people say that "You're a bandwagoner!" because you point out issues with the team -- and right now there are a lot of issues with this team.

Reminds me of people who were excoriated in 2003 when they disliked the idea of going to war with Iraq. "YOU'RE NOT PATRIOTIC!" Give it a rest.

I love this team, and every Syracuse team I've ever rooted for. I even loved the '01-'02 team (believe it or not). That's why I'm so depressed and upset about all of this. This team is broke and it doesn't seem like anyone knows what to do to fix it (including coach). I hold out hope that they can turn things around, and I'll watch every second of every game remaining. But I don't think it's out of line to say that right now, this team has serious problems. And I also don't know why I can't say that on a Syracuse sports forum without people telling me I'm a bandwagon fan. That's complete and utter bull sh it. I have a different opinion than you, so that makes me a bandwagon fan? NO, that makes me someone with a different opinion.

Agreed.

Mentioned this before, but aside from CJ and Ennis at points LN, where was the passion?

Most depressing: Last 3 minutes LN... they started pressing and playing tenacious D when they realized they were going to lose again... it started to work and they turned over G-Tech and cut into the lead... Too little, too late.

But most depressing was ... ok, they have that gear and they are going to sleepwalk through the rest of the game prior and only try at the end??

Much of the team looks spent... mentally and physically.. even moreso mentally...

Anyone that brings up "We got crushed by Georgetown last year and made the Final Four, stop talking bad about the team!" needs to be quiet. Georgetown was a top 10 team last year, and we got crushed at their place. You know how you can see the signs of a bad team? One that doesn't hold down the home court.

It's one thing to not win on your home court against a Duke, etc... but we're losing to LITERALLY the worst teams in the ACC. This is not Georgetown of last year, this is much, much worse.

Be prepared, we may only play three more games this year. I HATE saying this, because I love Syracuse basketball more than life, but this team is fundamentally broken. This was a 'get back' game. A game to get back their mojo a little and build momentum moving forward. Instead, unbelievably they continued the tail spin. Unfortunately it's not unbelievable any more.

This team may end up a 3 or 4 seed, but with the way they're playing, they should be closer to a 9 or 10 seed.

I'm still rooting for them to turn it around. I still hold out hope that it will happen, because it has before. I just don't see any way this team cures its offensive AND defensive woes that quickly. I know I'll probably be hammered by folks like Marsh (who I respect BECAUSE of his optimism) but I just don't see it anymore. I don't know how they get better, because it just doesn't look like a functional team right now. And frankly, it hasn't looked like one in about two months.

I'm not hammering anybody.

Its not about last year. Completely different teams. What I hope happens (which happened last year) was to regain our confidence which is what we really had happen last year. After we lost to Georgetown we were able to regroup, have a great week of practice (which JB even commented on) and start playing better team basketball. Shots then started to fall and you could see guys confidence just swell. I mean look at what Keita did last year in the BET. Stepped up his game BIG TIME. Cooney in the BET. All about confidence. That also steamrolled into a great showing in the NCAA tournament (with a little help from our dream draw). We played tight at the end of last season and completely loosened up in the post season. The same pattern is happening again this season.

I am not throwing dirt on this team. Give me a healthy Grant and get me out of the conference grind and into a tournament setting. We need to just get through Sunday, see where we stand and push the reset button.

Will we then turn it around? Hard to say. I do know that we have a lot of post season experience on this team and that will certainly help us as we head into it.

Duly noted and filed for late March.
That's fine. I hope I'm dead wrong. This team hasn't shown much in the past month to make me think they'll be better though. Like I said, I hope I'm 100% wrong. I don't root for bad things to happen, nor do I want them to. Unfortunately bad things are happening and I made note of it. I'm an awful person that way I guess.

EDIT: I will say that I am NOT a person who will come back and say "TOLD YOU SO!" if they do poorly. I am and always have been first and foremost an SU fan. The past couple games don't change that. What I'm saying is that they have not played well in a LONG time, and you're a better man than me if you can say honestly that you KNOW that will change down the stretch.

Last edited:
That's fine. I hope I'm dead wrong. This team hasn't shown much in the past month to make me think they'll be better though. Like I said, I hope I'm 100% wrong. I don't root for bad things to happen, nor do I want them too. Unfortunately bad things are happening and I made note of it. I'm an awful person that way I guess.

I feel like the team... was watching the game on the tube last night numb... don't want feel that way... hate it.

I'm not hammering anybody.

Its not about last year. Completely different teams. What I hope happens (which happened last year) was to regain our confidence which is what we really had happen last year. After we lost to Georgetown we were able to regroup, have a great week of practice (which JB even commented on) and start playing better team basketball. Shots then started to fall and you could see guys confidence just swell. I mean look at what Keita did last year in the BET. Stepped up his game BIG TIME. Cooney in the BET. All about confidence. That also steamrolled into a great showing in the NCAA tournament (with a little help from our dream draw). We played tight at the end of last season and completely loosened up in the post season. The same pattern is happening again this season.

I am not throwing dirt on this team. Give me a healthy Grant and get me out of the conference grind and into a tournament setting. We need to just get through Sunday, see where we stand and push the reset button.

Will we then turn it around? Hard to say. I do know that we have a lot of post season experience on this team and that will certainly help us as we head into it.
As always, you are the voice of reason. I hope for all of those things as well, I'm just very unsure (given how this team is made up) if they can do it this year. Last year, we had a stifling defense to get us through some bad offensive performances in the post season. I don't see that with this team, and that's a concern. In a tournament setting though, things can change. Teams that haven't prepared for us all year will be thrown by how this team plays. I hope that happens, and Trevor starts making some shots again. I'm holding out hope, just not entirely as optimistic as I was after the BC loss, that this team can get back on the right path.

As always, you are the voice of reason. I hope for all of those things as well, I'm just very unsure (given how this team is made up) if they can do it this year. Last year, we had a stifling defense to get us through some bad offensive performances in the post season. I don't see that with this team, and that's a concern. In a tournament setting though, things can change. Teams that haven't prepared for us all year will be thrown by how this team plays. I hope that happens, and Trevor starts making some shots again. I'm holding out hope, just not entirely as optimistic as I was after the BC loss, that this team can get back on the right path.

I dont know if we can either but keep in mind that our defense was pretty good before this stretch and we were causing lots of turnovers. Your comment on teams havent prepared for us will certainly be a wild card for us.

They are standing around like an NBA offense. It's been happening for 2 months.

It is an NBA offense and has been since JB started coaching the Olympic team.

Passing the ball to CJ at elbow-extended or running a ball-screen with an ineffectual Center is NOT offense or coaching…it's the opposite of that. Opposing coaches have figured our players out. The coaches need to actually coach. You can't play 2-3 zone and run no offense for an entire season.

I just wish Ennis would pass the ball to our center when the opposing center hedges him out 5 feet past the 3 point line. Just once or twice to keep them honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom