hey defenders of Roy | Syracusefan.com

hey defenders of Roy

The Mack Brown of college hoops

Sure. Took another team to the championship, and you're saying that if that last shot hadn't gone down, he wouldn't have been outcoached/outclassed? One team had to lose.

Was JB outcoached/outclassed when Roy's team beat us? Was JB outclassed when Keith F. Smart hit a shot?

I have no affinity for Roy or North Carolina, but jeez — what's the point of this? Players make plays or they don't, sometimes regardless of strategies.

Sure. Took another team to the championship, and you're saying that if that last shot hadn't gone down, he wouldn't have been outcoached/outclassed? One team had to lose.

Was JB outcoached/outclassed when Roy's team beat us? Was JB outclassed when Keith F. Smart hit a shot?

I have no affinity for Roy or North Carolina, but jeez — what's the point of this? Players make plays or they don't, sometimes regardless of strategies.

This is dead on. One of the things that drives me crazy is that a shot at the buzzer by a player can make or break a coaches legacy. the shot misses in JB's case and he has 2 championships and for the years following Keith Smart's shot people aren't always leaning on the "he cant win the big game" concept. Same goes for Roy, he got his team to the National Championship game, in part by whooping up on us and JB, yet some guy drains three at the buzzer and it makes him a bad coach.

Tobias Funke said:
This is dead on. One of the things that drives me crazy is that a shot at the buzzer by a player can make or break a coaches legacy. the shot misses in JB's case and he has 2 championships and for the years following Keith Smart's shot people aren't always leaning on the "he cant win the big game" concept. Same goes for Roy, he got his team to the National Championship game, in part by whooping up on us and JB, yet some guy drains three at the buzzer and it makes him a bad coach.

Difference is cuse played good D on the final possession, smart just hit a tough shot. Unc played awful D, didnt guard the inbounds and didnt pressure the ball, thats all on roy.

Bad coaches don't win two titles and go to eight final fours. Bad coaches do what Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty did.
Don't think he is a bad coach but with the amount of talent he has gotten at Kansas and UNC...you would think the results should be better. I said this before and got yelled at but he takes a lot of talent and underachieves.

give me an break. how many touches did Meeks/Hicks/Johnson get in the 2nd half? They had Nova is serious foul trouble and he let his guys just keep jacking outside shots. If he had utilized his size/talent advantage just a teeny bit in that game his team wins going away. The game was close at the end despite his ineptitude.
good gawd is hilarious how people need to rush to the defense of dudes like Roy who are just not very good at their job

At least Roy didn't swear at the reporter on his way to the locker room like he did in 2003. He's classing it up!
The reporter deserved it IMO. The losing coach makes himself available minutes after a gut-wrenching defeat, and the classless reporter asks him a totally insensitive question.

Don't think he is a bad coach but with the amount of talent he has gotten at Kansas and UNC...you would think the results should be better. I said this before and got yelled at but he takes a lot of talent and underachieves.

I agree. He should have probably done more. Hes overrated, but he's a good coach as well.

williams 1st title was with doherty's players

roy williams should have more than 2 titles, his teams are STACKED every year.

Yes and Doherty took those players to the NIT.

And wrt to your second paragraph well, one final four every ten years, one title in forty years, etc. But I'm sure it's totally different with Boeheim for some reason.

Or maybe it's just really hard to win a national title by a six game single elimination tournament.

And wrt to your second paragraph well, one final four every ten years, one title in forty years, etc. But I'm sure it's totally different with Boeheim for some reason.

Or maybe it's just really hard to win a national title by a six game single elimination tournament.

youre comparing the talent boeheim gets to the talent williams gets at kansas and north carolina?

youre comparing the talent boeheim gets to the talent williams gets at kansas and north carolina?

No. I'm just point out the irony in what your saying. Because plenty of people have affixed the underachiever label to JB over the years.

boeheim has coached 20 mcdonalds all americans at cuse since it started in 1977. since roy took over for carolina in 2004 hes had 26 mcdonalds all americans. is that a good enough reason to hold roy williams to a different standard?

since 2004 - roy williams 26 mcdonalds all americans, jim boeheim 8.

boeheim has coached 20 mcdonalds all americans at cuse since it started in 1977. since roy took over for carolina in 2004 hes had 26 mcdonalds all americans. is that a good enough reason to hold roy williams to a different standard?

since 2004 - roy williams 26 mcdonalds all americans, jim boeheim 8.

Since 2004...four final fours and two titles.

Bad coach, IMO.

Bad coaches don't win two titles and go to eight final fours. Bad coaches do what Bill Guthridge and Matt Doherty did.

Didn't Guthridge make it to the Final Four in 2/3 of his seasons as a head coach? I believe he was also National Coach of the year one year as well.

Since 2004...four final fours and two titles.

Bad coach, IMO.
Since 2003 3 final fours and 1 title. Some still think JB is a bad coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom