Hey GROB was a nice guy too... just saying. this is the business | Syracusefan.com

Hey GROB was a nice guy too... just saying. this is the business

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
when the coach stinks fans will call for his head, plain and simple. They all know it, it's how it goes. And Coach Marrone stunk really bad this year, other than GROB years it was hands down the worst year of Syracuse football in the last 30 years consdiering the schedule, etc etc.

That is my last comment for awhile on Marrone but people claiming that he needs more time, needs to recruit, sounds a lot like the GROB excuses and I caution those waiting for the old switch to be flipped on offense, we waited four years for GROB to flip the switch on offense too. Oh but don't you understand Doug's wonderful pedigree. That pedigree won't buy you a cup of cofee at the five an dime, maybe in the NFL as an assistant. He needs a new OC, a special teams coach, etc etc. These are ALL decisions that Marrone has made, they are horrendous decisions. Doug is the OC people for the most part, it's his system and he will live or die by it. It's a shame that a player he did not recruit could be the end of him, most coaches recruit a QB that they want for their system, it's amazing that Doug did not do that for whatever reason. Oh yeah, the staff loves Miller, the staff loves Kinder, the staff loves Hunt, the staff loves Broyld, the staff loves---- a bunch of crap. Heard it all before.

What next it takes 3-4 years to learn Doug's system? I can see it now. I have that we will most likely be in the ACC next year, this team is right now at the bottom with Duke, we won one game in the Big East last year, what the F do people think Marrone will do in the ACC? 1 or 2 wins tops, with so, I would say with USC we are a 4-5 win team tops next year.

Syracuse needs to find a coach that can sell, recruit and one that can score points. Plain and simple. Doug is no closer to bringing more fans back to the dome then he was 3 years ago, I would actually say he is further. I don't think he can do it and I don't think we are any closer than we were 3 years ago from being good let alone great

when the coach stinks fans will call for his head, plain and simple. They all know it, it's how it goes. And Coach Marrone stunk really bad this year, other than GROB years it was hands down the worst year of Syracuse football in the last 30 years consdiering the schedule, etc etc.

That is my last comment for awhile on Marrone but people claiming that he needs more time, needs to recruit, sounds a lot like the GROB excuses and I caution those waiting for the old switch to be flipped on offense, we waited four years for GROB to flip the switch on offense too. Oh but don't you understand Doug's wonderful pedigree. That pedigree won't buy you a cup of cofee at the five an dime, maybe in the NFL as an assistant. He needs a new OC, a special teams coach, etc etc. These are ALL decisions that Marrone has made, they are horrendous decisions. Doug is the OC people for the most part, it's his system and he will live or die by it. It's a shame that a player he did not recruit could be the end of him, most coaches recruit a QB that they want for their system, it's amazing that Doug did not do that for whatever reason. Oh yeah, the staff loves Miller, the staff loves Kinder, the staff loves Hunt, the staff loves Broyld, the staff loves---- a bunch of crap. Heard it all before.

What next it takes 3-4 years to learn Doug's system? I can see it now. I have that we will most likely be in the ACC next year, this team is right now at the bottom with Duke, we won one game in the Big East last year, what the F do people think Marrone will do in the ACC? 1 or 2 wins tops, with so, I would say with USC we are a 4-5 win team tops next year.

Syracuse needs to find a coach that can sell, recruit and one that can score points. Plain and simple. Doug is no closer to bringing more fans back to the dome then he was 3 years ago, I would actually say he is further. I don't think he can do it and I don't think we are any closer than we were 3 years ago from being good let alone great.

There are 119 teams playing D1 football.

By my reckoning, the fans of at least 50% of them wish to have a coach that can "sell, recruit and one that can score points".

The great problems with this are that:

1.) These guys that can do that who are willing and able to change schools are extremely rare and are sought after by many suitors.

2.) That success at one school doesn't necessarily translate into success at another. (Rich Rodriquez and many others). Your boy Leach discovered that there were a goodly number of good football players in remote Texas towns that were being overlooked by UT, aTm and the dozens of other schools that recruit Texa hard. I don't that formula will work in New York.

3.) Sometimes in an effort to improve things, you actually make things worse (Randy Edsall at UMD, GRob at SU and many other examples)

I think the University is going to keep Marrone a long time.

I don't think Gross wants to give up on him and expose himself to having to pick a third FB coach that might also be unsuccessful

[quote="I don't think we are any closer than we were 3 years ago from being good let alone great.[/quote]

This says it all. How could a reasonable person possibly come to this conclusion? You are apparently ignoring wins, scoring, yardage...

What measures do you use to determine the quality of a program? Earrings, facial hair and thud factor?

That being said, year four is a big one for DM. A bowl game is a must.

[quote="I don't think we are any closer than we were 3 years ago from being good let alone great.

This says it all. How could a reasonable person possibly come to this conclusion? You are apparently ignoring wins, scoring, yardage...

What measures do you use to determine the quality of a program? Earrings, facial hair and thud factor?

That being said, year four is a big one for DM. A bowl game is a must.[/quote]
over the last 3 years combined, the offense is 102nd

i suppose it's a little progress but it still blows hard

[quote="I don't think we are any closer than we were 3 years ago from being good let alone great.

That being said, year four is a big one for DM. A bowl game is a must.[/quote]

progress from the worst BCS team in the country, to probably the 2nd or 3rd, if you are looking at the world through orange colored glasses, isn't real progress. Like Bees said, if you are student, and you went from a 40 to a 50 average, is that progress? I guess, is it real progress, positive progress? I don't know. where is the recruiting progress?

I use Doug's record versus our peers as real progress? What is that record, what is his record in conference? Where is that progress, we were 7-5 last year in the regular season with 2 wins versus 1AA teams.

If you go from possibly the worst HC of all time to a bad head coach, I guess that is progress. And Leach has nothing to do with any of this, so can people please stop bring him up when it comes to Syracuse, I don't. Look, I like the guy. I think he is a character and enjoy reading and listening to him. T Tech isn't an easy place to win and he did that. He will do it at WSU as well

Can't make a case based on the offense, but 8-5 last year with a bowl win gets Marrone some credit that GROB didn't earn. Even if that record was based on the defense, the FG kicker and an off-guard running game.

Bottom line for me is improvement in recruiting. I believe it is happening, but can't prove it until we see how some of the playmakers work out.

Another falsehood is that Marrone called 2011 a transition year. Well usually isn't a transition year the year a new HC plays HIS recruits? And the transition means a bunch of young kids playing which results in a worse overall record? That did NOT happen this year. We played very few Marrone recruits this year. Even next year there are a ton of GRob guys who will be playing. So is next year a transitional year too? And the year after as well?

Another falsehood is that Marrone called 2011 a transition year. Well usually isn't a transition year the year a new HC plays HIS recruits? And the transition means a bunch of young kids playing which results in a worse overall record? That did NOT happen this year. We played very few Marrone recruits this year. Even next year there are a ton of GRob guys who will be playing. So is next year a transitional year too? And the year after as well?
On offense, the line was mainly Marrone's recruits (Pugh was a GROB commit); the skill guys not so much. But on defense, we had Marrone recruits in lots of spots -- only carry-overs were Boatman, Jones, Scott, Vaughn. We knew there would be a fall-off on defense ("transition" might be a nicer word) until some of the LBs and other kids had another year in S&C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom