Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pfft. The name Alabama has more to do with it than anything that has happened on the field.
Bama's SOS is 3rd. The committee is rewarding them for that. No Big XII team has the wins to be higher and ND was slotted 5th.

It is really interesting that the committee is saying that your schedule and who have played is how your being rated. Not whether your undefeated means your ahead of teams w/ losses.

ND is #5? Really? If ND gets into the playoff they are never joining the ACC. Hope they lose. But then I root for them to lose every game.

ND is #5? Really? If ND gets into the playoff they are never joining the ACC. Hope they lose. But then I root for them to lose every game.
the bevo teams and nd will NEVER get in the F4 until they win a conf playoff game.

a conf champ game win can be a saving grace for a weak schedule.

the bevo teams and nd will NEVER get in the F4 until they win a conf playoff game.

Big XII will likely get a team this year. The Pac-12 has only 1 team contention. If Stanford loses another game the Pac-12 is likely gone and I think one of Baylor or TCU will sneak in.

Clemson, Ohio State/Michigan State/Iowa, LSU/Alabama/Florida, Baylor/TCU/Oklahoma State will likely be the playoff.

Alsacs said:
Bama's SOS is 3rd. The committee is rewarding them for that. No Big XII team has the wins to be higher and ND was slotted 5th.

It is really interesting that the committee is saying that your schedule and who have played is how your being rated. Not whether your undefeated means your ahead of teams w/ losses.

I get the SOS argument, but a loss has to count for something too.

You were singing that tune last year. You were wrong then and are wrong now.

ND has already been placed ahead of several undefeated teams. There are all sorts of scenarios that get them in if they win out from here. There will only be one B10 rep. The SEC will have one at most and may not even have that if they cannibalize each other. The PAC-10 is out of the picture if ND wins out. Clemson looks solid but they could still stub their toes. Check the B-12 teams' skeds out and it is easy to see how none of them go undefeated. That said if one of them does go undefeated they should probably get the nod.

If ND wins out I'd peg their chances at about 75% minimum.

bpo57 said:
You were singing that tune last year. You were wrong then and are wrong now. ND has already been placed ahead of several undefeated teams. There are all sorts of scenarios that get them in if they win out from here. There will only be one B10 rep. The SEC will have one at most and may not even have that if they cannibalize each other. The PAC-10 is out of the picture if ND wins out. Clemson looks solid but they could still stub their toes. Check the B-12 teams' skeds out and it is easy to see how none of them go undefeated. That said if one of them does go undefeated they should probably get the nod. If ND wins out I'd peg their chances at about 75% minimum.

If they have one loss and a team with one loss gets an extra game vs a quality opponent in their conference title game and wins, Baylor, TCU, and ND should be worried.

That extra game/w is a big deal.

Tennessee had Florida and Oklahoma beat in the 4th quarter and choked both games away. They have a lot of young talent and they are good team who just hasn't closed games out.

I thought you were talking abou Syracuse for a minute.

I thought you were talking abou Syracuse for a minute.
What teams did Syracuse have up 2 TDs in the 4th quarter like Tennessee did against Oklahoma at home and @ Florida?
Syracuse this year has been nothing like Tennessee who has big leads and choked.
Pitt and Virginia were tight games we could have won. Maybe Virginia was a choke but it was not a Tennessee situation.
USF, LSU, FSU all beat us while never trailing except FSU down 0-7 early.

So we're all in agreement that the undefeated defending national champ shouldn't be number one right?

Guaranteed there are Tide fans that are upset that are not ranked #1. That is why I despise Alabama. There isn't a team I despise more than Alabama...nothing even close. I think Notre Dame should be ahead of UA...

We are beating UGA and Arkansas on a neutral field.
Are-you-kidding-me-GIF-5.gif

So we're all in agreement that the undefeated defending national champ shouldn't be number one right?
With Florida State being #2 last year in the first poll the committee is saying last year means nothing.
Ohio State still has Michigan State, Michigan and likely Iowa left if they win out I think they would go above Clemson. LSU could win out and I would leave them above Ohio State.

I respect how this committee is doing its job. They aren't beholden to last week's results they analyze your entire schedule by the week. Right now Clemson has a lot of quality wins and been dominant.

I agree with that...Last year doesn't matter...what matters is what you have done so far this year.

With Florida State being #2 last year in the first poll the committee is saying last year means nothing.

I agree too :). It's just that a lot of people were singing a different tune last year.

why would he be including a team the lost to?

Like I said though - Im not questioning bamas #4 ranking anyway. Thats going to be decided against LSU. they lose and they have no shot in the playoff.

I got ya. I included Ol Miss, because it was a loss to a ranked team, at the ranked team's home, and if it wasn't for the fumbles in the first half, the game may have ended differently. Alabama owned the second half of that game.

But, enough of that, let's hope Bama loses again soon.

I agree too :). It's just that a lot of people were singing a different tune last year.
The old mentality was if your undefeated and in a P5 league you were going to be ahead of 1 loss teams in the NC order.

Now the committee is saying being undefeated is not getting you in automatically. You need a quality non-conference and win. I also think conference titles will factor in at the end.

Florida State's non-conference schedule of Oklahoma State, Florida, Notre Dame saved their butts last year. Being undefeated now isn't enough. Florida State was getting killed by the eye test and playing top 10 Georgia Tech in the ACC title game was huge as well. ACC needs its middle class to help NC contenders in the future.

Their biggest problem is that they got hosed on conference scheduling...no Ohio St, Michigan or Mich St.

Exactly as the son of an Hawkeye grad, I follow them closely. It hardly feels like they are playing the Big 10 this year with those three not on the schedule. Their out of conference schedule was a BCS school with Pittsburgh and Iowa State who they have to play. They probably should have played a MAC school instead of North Texas or maybe a lower level BCS school with Illinois State also on the schedule.

You were singing that tune last year. You were wrong then and are wrong now.

ND has already been placed ahead of several undefeated teams. There are all sorts of scenarios that get them in if they win out from here. There will only one B10 rep. The SEC will have one at most and may not even have that if they cannibalize each other. The PAC-10 is out of the picture if ND wins out. Clemson looks solid but they could still stub their toes. Check the B-12 teams' skeds out and it is easy to see how none of them go undefeated. That said if one of them does go undefeated they should probably get the nod.

If ND wins out I'd peg their chances at about 75% minimum.
explain how i was wrong??

i screamed from the top of every mountain that the bevo would be left out.

even when there was only 1 poll left and baylor and tcu were 2 & 3, i said theyre Fd.

they were Fd.

thats a fact.

ND is in trouble for precisely the same reason.

so now you are going to overlook proven facts and say your opinion is the right way??

go back to the OT board, this is for football folk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors