Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hey, look who's #1 and #2 in the College football playoff rankings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
TCU/Baylor will get in if one is undefeated.

That that is even a question is proof they need a conference championship.

ND needs to beat Stanford, but I don't think they should sleep well until after championship Sat. Side note: I've been told repeateldy that ND values their "independence" over a national championship. We'll see.

That that is even a question is proof they need a conference championship.

ND needs to beat Stanford, but I don't think they should sleep well until after championship Sat. Side note: I've been told repeateldy that ND values their "independence" over a national championship. We'll see.

Expanding to eight would be better.

I agree 100%.

But in the current system, no conference champ teams are at a disadvantage in the 1-loss comparisons

Ridiculous that Bama is at 4. Although I HATE ND - their loss, on the road by 2 points, to the #1 team should slide them ahead of Bama. Bama lost at home to Ole Miss. And frankly, both ND and Bama should be ranked lower - as they both have a loss.

This is what's rotten about College Football. The "big boys" always get the benefit of the doubt. If Clemson loses this weekend - they will fall out of the top 10 - I'm certain of this. Even though their loss will be to a team ranked higher than Ole Miss.

I'm rooting for Memphis to crash the party, and I think they have a good chance to do. They still have ranked games against Houston and Temple, and need to play Navy. It would be glorious for them to make it because I would be willing to bet it speeds up the playoff expansion to 8 teams, which is where I have always believed it needs to be.

I'm rooting for Memphis to crash the party, and I think they have a good chance to do. They still have ranked games against Houston and Temple, and need to play Navy. It would be glorious for them to make it because I would be willing to bet it speeds up the playoff expansion to 8 teams, which is where I have always believed it needs to be.
That would be Epic. It would take a miracle to happen - but crazier things have happened

BTW why do people not understand that being undefeated isn't the end-all-be-all? Do people honestly think Alabama should be ranked lower than, say, Michigan State?

BTW why do people not understand that being undefeated isn't the end-all-be-all? Do people honestly think Alabama should be ranked lower than, say, Michigan State?

Yes, they should. Although MSU is a fluke (should have lost to several teams) they still won. The "look test" infuriates me. Win all your games - you should likely get in the playoff. Otherwise, we'll have 2 loss SEC teams making it in one of these years - because they "look" like the better team.

Yes, they should. Although MSU is a fluke (should have lost to several teams) they still won. The "look test" infuriates me. Win all your games - you should likely get in the playoff. Otherwise, we'll have 2 loss SEC teams making it in one of these years - because they "look" like the better team.

If MSU played Alabama's schedule they'd have one loss...at least.

So yeah, the look test matters.

Yeah, when is the committee going to take those plucky underdog, perennially overrated programs like Notre Dame seriously?
Fixed.

It should've been 8 to begin with vs. the 4 currently in place...then eventually expanding to 16. This 4 team fiasco is only slightly better imo than the prior BCS crock.

Eh, transitive theory doesn't work. Win all your games. Play in the P5. You should likely make the playoffs - over any 1 loss P5 team.

then play 1 game.

go undefeated...and wait for the playoffs.

the end all is the Champ game.

stopping on the 1 yard line untouched, does not give you a touchdown.

Georgia Arkansas and Tennessee would probably blow us out by double digits

Ridiculous that Bama is at 4. Although I HATE ND - their loss, on the road by 2 points, to the #1 team should slide them ahead of Bama. Bama lost at home to Ole Miss. And frankly, both ND and Bama should be ranked lower - as they both have a loss.

This is what's rotten about College Football. The "big boys" always get the benefit of the doubt. If Clemson loses this weekend - they will fall out of the top 10 - I'm certain of this. Even though their loss will be to a team ranked higher than Ole Miss.

Why? Alabama's one loss came to a very good Ole Miss team, and they lost on a couple of flukey type plays. They beat Uga and A&M on the road. Other than beating Temple, who has Nd beaten? Umass, Texas, Gtech?

Yeah, when is the committee going to take those plucky underdog, perennially disrespected programs like Notre Dame seriously?
Syracuse-Notre Dame 1961, nothing has changed. To paraphrase (badly) ND starts every year on third base and thinks it hit a triple.

explain how i was wrong??

i screamed from the top of every mountain that the bevo would be left out.

even when there was only 1 poll left and baylor and tcu were 2 & 3, i said theyre Fd.

they were Fd.

thats a fact.

ND is in trouble for precisely the same reason.

so now you are going to overlook proven facts and say your opinion is the right way??

go back to the OT board, this is for football folk.
Hes Right You Know.jpg

The Big XII and ACC need their champion undefeated right now to be guaranteed in the top 4. The Big Ten and SEC Champions are getting in the top 4 this year.
Stanford and Utah are the only Pac-12 schools with a shot.

Clemson looks like they have a legit shot to run the table.

Big XII is a cluster right now Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma have to play each other. Any undefeated out of that bunch is getting in and OU winning out has a good chance as well.

Chaos occurs if Stanford, Utah, Notre Dame, Clemson, and every Big XII team losses another game. I have no clue who would get in other than SEC and B1G champs.

If they have one loss and a team with one loss gets an extra game vs a quality opponent in their conference title game and wins, Baylor, TCU, and ND should be worried.

That extra game/w is a big deal.

It is a big deal but what you're not taking into account is that most of the contenders play each other down the stretch and will very likely do the heavy lifting for ND (assuming that ND takes care of their own business- admittedly not a gimme).

bpo57 said:
It is a big deal but what you're not taking into account is that most of the contenders play each other down the stretch and will very likely do the heavy lifting for ND (assuming that ND takes care of their own business- admittedly not a gimme).

If you're comparing 1 loss teams and one team played an extra game vs a top 25 program, the team that didn't will lose out.

If you're comparing 1 loss teams and one team played an extra game vs a top 25 program, the team that didn't will lose out.

You're not looking at the flip side though. A one loss team could enter a conference title game and lose, destroying their chances of being one of the top four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom