Hey Recruitheads! Don't We Need Another DE? | Syracusefan.com

Hey Recruitheads! Don't We Need Another DE?

I've been thinking this as well. We need more numbers and some height /weight at the DE position. We need another DE commit more than any other position.
2009 - Torrey Ball (who only had 3 years of eligibility and is gone next year)
2010 - Micah Robinson and Beaulieu (Beaulieu has been moved to TE but may need to move back in 2013)
2011 - Donnie Simmons (Who is on the small side)
2012 - Poncho Barnwell (That is it currently)

That isn't enough numbers. I know Shafer hasn't run the 3-4 but it really makes you wonder if we are moving to it especially considering all of the LB's we are recruiting. One or two may have a chance to grow into a DE's but would still be on the smaller side for a DE and I wouldn't count on that. Plus we seem to have been doing pretty well playing with 6'-5" DE's recently. Also really thought we would be getting more production out of Sharpe this year especially considering Chandler Jones has been injured. Looking pretty thin there in the near future.

I've been thinking this as well. We need more numbers and some height /weight at the DE position. We need another DE commit more than any other position.
2009 - Torrey Ball (who only had 3 years of eligibility and is gone next year)
2010 - Micah Robinson and Beaulieu (Beaulieu has been moved to TE but may need to move back in 2013)
2011 - Donnie Simmons (Who is on the small side)
2012 - Poncho Barnwell (That is it currently)

That isn't enough numbers. I know Shafer hasn't run the 3-4 but it really makes you wonder if we are moving to it especially considering all of the LB's we are recruiting. One or two may have a chance to grow into a DE's but would still be on the smaller side for a DE and I wouldn't count on that. Plus we seem to have been doing pretty well playing with 6'-5" DE's recently. Also really thought we would be getting more production out of Sharpe this year especially considering Chandler Jones has been injured. Looking pretty thin there in the near future.
Yes we are definitely thinner here than any position on the team for next season. I believe Ball is gone also. We should have Sharpe, Robinson, Simmons, Barnwell and hopefully Chandler will return. I dont believe we can count on Simmons or Barnwell being ready yet. I could see Brantley ending up here or even Goggins or Bromley

With all our LBs, the speed DEs we are bringing in, and the mixture of smaller/faster DTs with bigger/stronger DTs, I just think we are preparing for a lot of 3DL looks in the future.

Hey PhatOrange, you're a recruithead. What do you think re DEs? Do we have any on the radar?

Wouldn't be surprised if the staff begins moving to a 3-4. It makes sense based on the blend of size and speed that have been recruited for 2011 and this year's class. We have alot of 6'2" 200+ lb guys on the team or will be on the team next year. Having a stud D-End would be great to have, but we have some time seeing that we still have Chan Jones, Sharpe, Robinson next year and Robinson, Simmons and Barnwell for 2013. Would be great to grab a stud DE though in next year's class.

First time poster here...
I know we are relying on speed and conditioning to make up for size on D, but if we continue like this, could we be vulnerable to the same game plan that we used against WVU?

First time poster here...
I know we are relying on speed and conditioning to make up for size on D, but if we continue like this, could we be vulnerable to the same game plan that we used against WVU?

I think we have some pretty big kids coming in, I think with the current college offenses your defense needs to be able to adjust for spread teams, option teams as well as power O and NFL type offense, you can't take the same approach and the staff clearly understands this, our D this week will not look anything like last week. We need plenty of safeties, linebackers, and fast DE's

I think we have some pretty big kids coming in, I think with the current college offenses your defense needs to be able to adjust for spread teams, option teams as well as power O and NFL type offense, you can't take the same approach and the staff clearly understands this, our D this week will not look anything like last week. We need plenty of safeties, linebackers, and fast DE's

I like the thought of a chameleon-like defense. Makes it hard to plan against. I think if you are right (and I hope and believe you are), then this Saturday's game will prove what a formidable task planning for our D will be for others...and we will only get better!

Hey PhatOrange, you're a recruithead. What do you think re DEs? Do we have any on the radar?

Next Year:
Chandler Jones SR
Brandon Sharpe SR
Micah Robinson SO
Donnie Simmons RFR
Poncho Barnwell TFR
James Washingont TFR

Ideally for roster balance we’d want a couple of more but I don’t see it this year. I do believe however that James Washington is coming here as a DEnd. So imho, we are bringing in 2 defensive ends this class.

I think we’ll play more 3/4 next year (adding Sloan to the DT rotation) sliding Goggins/Bromley outside to end.

Having Goggins, Bromley, Crume and Chandler on the line in certain situations is going to be pretty formidable.

Next recruiting season you'd have to expect 2/3 defensive ends in the class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom