Hilarious Edsall article | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hilarious Edsall article

So it's ok for Locksley to bring all his New Mexico kids to MD but not ok for O'Brien to play for the coach who recruited him at Vandy. So glad we didn't hire him.

^^^^
This

Lest us not forget... Edsall is very good at celebrating with himself...

I never noticed the denied high five halfway through, right around where a player dares to get in the way of his fistpump for his adoring fans fan

I think it's pretty obvious that he is a good football coach. He had way too much success at UConn to conclude otherwise.

And, he had a strong 2012 recruiting class at MD.

So, even though he may not be a good guy, he will likely do okay at Maryland.

I believe you consistently underestimate how much of a college football head coach's success is dictated by their skills outside the lines. Rich Rod is a great football coach...but he didn't survive at Michigan largely because of off-the-field turmoil. Based on how aggressively the local media is going after him, it appears from my vantage point 600 miles away that HCRE has found himself in the same type of situation (and with even less skill at diplomacy than RichRod had).

I believe you consistently underestimate how much of a college football head coach's success is dictated by their skills outside the lines. Rich Rod is a great football coach...but he didn't survive at Michigan largely because of off-the-field turmoil. Based on how aggressively the local media is going after him, it appears from my vantage point 600 miles away that HCRE has found himself in the same type of situation (and with even less skill at diplomacy than RichRod had).

While there is truth in what you say, the scale is so much different when compared to the Rich Rod situation. Not to offend Townie (I'm a Maryland resident myself), but one program gets 112,000 at their games and is a national, very traditional brand in college football. The other is Maryland.

Washington Post is a major newspaper obviously, but they like to hit and run on these types of things. The coverage of Maryland football gets its paragraph on the bottom right of the front page, and a section of a page later on, but it's clearly not the focus of the paper's sports department. Especially in the fall.

I think Edsall gets through this. His biggest issue will be winning more games. 2 won't do it.

Bruce Feldman:

Sounds like some folks at MD are prepared to step up & fix this mess. RT @drridpath Will Danny O'Brien get his release-it looks like it!

You should read the book "Three and Out" detailing RRs time at Michigan.

I think you will learn that much of what happened there was beyond his control - that he was unfairly attacked by many inside and outside the school.

There are some important differences with Edsall.

First, he is a much more abrasive guy than RR is. Second, he is not at one of the top five football schools in the USA. There is virtually no football tradition at MD. Third, he is not following a coach who won a NC or a legend like Bo Schembechler and fifth, does not face the pressure of having to become a "Maryland Man."

I agree that he has alienated the Washington DC press and that will cause him some difficulty. But, he is a good coach and has recruited well so far. So, I think in the end he will survive this and have some success.

But, who knows, you may be right - his abrasive ways may really hurt him.

While there is truth in what you say, the scale is so much different when compared to the Rich Rod situation. Not to offend Townie (I'm a Maryland resident myself), but one program gets 112,000 at their games and is a national, very traditional brand in college football. The other is Maryland.

Washington Post is a major newspaper obviously, but they like to hit and run on these types of things. The coverage of Maryland football gets its paragraph on the bottom right of the front page, and a section of a page later on, but it's clearly not the focus of the paper's sports department. Especially in the fall.

I think Edsall gets through this. His biggest issue will be winning more games. 2 won't do it.

Nothing in your post offends me. I agree with your central argument.

WaPost coverage of Maryland football goes up when they win. I've always felt they were more sympathetic towards Virginia. But not by much.

My point was that Sally Jenkins never voiced a word of concern when John Thompson was runing off players in droves. And we all know why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom